'Time' Magazine Breast-Feeding Mom: Why I Did It — VIDEO

Fri, May 11, 2012 11:11am EDT by 43 Comments
Time Breastfeeding Mom Jamie Lynn Grumet

Jamie Lynn Grumet opens up in her first big interview — find out what she had to say about being on the Time cover that has EVERYONE talking!

The controversial Time magazine cover of blogger Jamie Lynne Grumet nursing her nearly 4-year-old son Aram has spurred intense debate all over the country. So what did Jamie have to say?

Jamie said in a May 10 Today Show interview that she wasn’t expecting the wild response but knew “exactly what we were going to get into,” and added, “I understand some of the breast-feeding advocates are actually upset about this.”

The cover touts Dr. Bill Seers‘ theory on “attachment parenting” that says moms and their children should extend their love and care as long as possible.

Time Magazine ‘Are You Mom Enough?’ — Are You CRAZY Enough?

Naturally, Jamie is a strong believer in this practice that includes like breast-feeding and co-sleeping through the toddler years, saying “I think that it gives my children a strong bond.”

“It’s not right for everybody,” she said, “You need to do what’s best for your baby and for your own family.”

Her son Aram, Dr. Bill Seers, and Time‘s science editor Jeffery Kluger also made an appearance on the Today Show on May 10.

Dr. Seers weighed in on the issue: “It’s not extreme. If you were on an island and you had no mother-in-law, no psychologists, no doctors around, no experts, this is what you would naturally and instinctively do to give your baby the best involvement you’ll ever get.”

Time Magazine Breastfeeding Mom — How Old Will Her Son Be When She Stops Offering Her Nipple?

Check out the video below!

zdjęcia ślubne pszczyna

Posted at 10:03 PM on June 6, 2012

Someone essentially help to make severely posts I might state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this actual post incredible. Excellent process!

Work from home. make money

Posted at 2:51 PM on May 31, 2012

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I have really loved browsing your weblog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I’m hoping you write once more very soon!

Junie

Posted at 10:06 PM on May 14, 2012

Handsdown it’s clearly sexual child molestation..at 3yrs old. You women that think its ok with what this sick women did to her son are sick people.
Had it been a father and daughter image it would an outrage,right………..
Sick minded women….

Candice

Posted at 12:44 AM on May 12, 2012

But we’re not actually on a deserted island in the middle of no where without the prying judgmental eyes of the population. Personally if she wants to breastfeed until her son is 10 I don’t really care, it’s her choice. But why make a public spectacle about it, knowing there is going to be a huge backlash. I think the media are to be blamed for seducing these people into displaying their lives for financial gain (or just simple notoriety) and not supporting them properly when the proverbial sh*t hits the fan with the backlash of public outrage and support.

What?

Posted at 8:00 PM on May 11, 2012

what?the freak who would this i mean that “lil kid” is not lil to be doing that he is to big serousily but if she feels find with that that is her opinon

Jane

Posted at 6:44 PM on May 11, 2012

What did you actually feel when you saw the cover of this magazine? Did you go…awwwwwwwww…or did you get a jolt down below. Be honest now.

alluring

Posted at 10:49 PM on May 13, 2012

I got sick. I thought oh thats great. How does he plan to share snack. This boarders on child abuse. He is four.I understand breastfeeding your kids. I have five. But to do it that long is for the MOM not the child. That is disgusting and
that child is going to have mental problems later. I seen this happen with others and its not a pretty picture.

John Alan

Posted at 6:27 PM on May 11, 2012

I’ve got dibs on the right one.
Mama lookin’ good

Ron

Posted at 5:05 PM on May 11, 2012

Wow. I wish my mom looked like that.

larissa

Posted at 5:01 PM on May 11, 2012

FOR ALL THE NAYSAYERS
YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. BUT MAY I COME OVER YOUR HOME AND VIDEOTAPE YOUR PARENTING AND ANALYZE YOUR PARENTING CHOICES AND OFFER MY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM? YES, THAT WOULD STING WOULDN’T IT? ITS SO EASY TO POINT A FINGER AT OTHER PARENTS, ESPECIALLY ONES WITH GOOD INTENTIONS AND SAY THAT THEY STINK, BECAUSE OF COURSE, YOU ARE AMAZING IN EVERY WAY

Scott

Posted at 4:34 PM on May 11, 2012

My favorite quote was from the Doctor: “I have never once seen an attachment baby that has grown up to become the bully in school.” That is because they were being bullied for breast feeding at the age of 5!

larissa

Posted at 4:50 PM on May 11, 2012

thats as absurd as dr sears comment.

larissa

Posted at 4:54 PM on May 11, 2012

I am a huge believer in extended breastfeeding but I don’t preach it. If moms dont want to feel guilty they neednt direct hostility at attachment parenting moms. You can say its a crime not to do it because its so healthy. Toddlers and even young boys do NOT sexualize breasts! if they do, what kind of parent have you been? Men cant stand nursing, maybe its an instinctively jealous response but ask a man if women actually go to the bathroom and see the look on their faces. This cover doesnt help because its sexualizing breastfeeding. hot mom dressed provocatively with kid standing on a chair. come on! Most older kids breastfeed very lightly and its a continued health and bonding boon. How is this anyone elses business? how much tv is your kid watching? how fat are they? how long are they in day or nanny care? how many disability labels have you slapped on them? do you really want other people in YOUR business as a parent?

Svlad Cjelli

Posted at 6:31 PM on May 11, 2012

Who said anything about sex? It’s a development issue.

wr

Posted at 4:14 PM on May 11, 2012

Wow. She looks so together and defiant on the cover. Hear her talk and you realize very quickly she’s just a twit.

Mike James

Posted at 4:07 PM on May 11, 2012

Kid’ll grow up being able to fistfight. He’d better.

Aaron

Posted at 2:41 PM on May 11, 2012

I suggest this mom uses a bottle to store her milk and gives the bottle to her boy.

yvonne

Posted at 1:23 PM on May 11, 2012

THIS IS BEYOND CRAZY, I understand wanting to give your kid the best, but once the kid is half your size,you should rethink this.REALLY!!! Im sure by now he wont be mallnurished momma. I hate to say this , but im brown , and i never hear or see Ethnic people do things like this….

Svlad Cjelli

Posted at 1:12 PM on May 11, 2012

AND Tamara, the law DOES NOT tell me what is moral or right. Whose children will The Law allow you have suck on your tits, and until what age? When do I get to have a problem? So I will not be supportive, in spite of your advisement.

nellie

Posted at 1:07 PM on May 11, 2012

If they are walking and talking, it’s time to cut them off. If they can ask for it, it’s time to cut them off. I’m sorry, but even animals go through natural weaning, and they certainly aren’t doing it for years and years after their offspring is born. They move on, get pregnant again, start the whole process all over. Active breastfeeding a 3-6yo? get real.

larissa

Posted at 4:56 PM on May 11, 2012

actually primates breastfeed until their young are 6 or 7.

Svlad Cjelli

Posted at 1:03 PM on May 11, 2012

And if we’re talking about nature, then I have to say that teething IS when Mother Nature would have you give up the breast feeding.

Kurt

Posted at 2:51 PM on May 11, 2012

Yes but the privilege should revert back to the husband, as I’m sure he hasn’t played with those breasts in atleast 3 years! I bet the husband has to dress like the kid and stand on a chair to get some decent boobtime.

Cindy

Posted at 2:59 PM on May 11, 2012

I AGREE! I would be “please, just let someone play with them and kiss them without sucking me dry!” Seriously, you’d think she feels like the kid is constantly on there. I love the visual with a husband on the chair. NOW that would have made a good cover. LOL!

larissa

Posted at 5:02 PM on May 11, 2012

THERE ARE KIDS WHO ARE BORN WITH TEETH. A PROPER LATCH DOESNT INVOLVE TEETH. THE LAW HAS NO SAY IN THIS. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT PUBESCENT BOYS.

Svlad Cjelli

Posted at 12:59 PM on May 11, 2012

Just for starters, what ever happened to breast pumps? If you feel like you have to breast feed for an extended time (past like two or so) – Go with a breast pump. Also, there is the unavoidable fact that this woman is, at this point, addicted to having this little monkey climbing all over her and sucking on her boobs. It’s messed up, I don’t like to say it, but it’s true!

Tamara

Posted at 12:40 PM on May 11, 2012

I think everyone reads too much into everything. The whole point is to each their own and that unless it’s illegal you should be supportive. Anyone who is a mother should know how disappointing it feels when someone criticizes your methods. It is difficult enough being a new mom, the last thing we need is to feel guilty about what comes naturally whether its attachment parenting and breast feeding until age 7 or being a working mom who bottle feeds. Besides, with the “Super Committee” cutting funding to social programs that help low-income families so that we can play war games, you just may have to breastfeed as long as possible to save money. (Exaggeration, I know. But, you get my point.)

Heather

Posted at 1:45 PM on May 11, 2012

I nursed 3 kids. I support nursing mothers. It is a loving act and it is truly best for both mother and child. But this picture does not encourage women to nurse. Its very “in your fact” and does not show the loving, tender side of nursing.
I am not saying that this woman is a bad mom, but rather the opposite. I think she is a great mom! But, I do feel like she is using her son as a prop, and that is not best for the boy. He is at the center of this discussion and he doesn’t deserve it.

Rob

Posted at 12:39 PM on May 11, 2012

LOL.. This is stupid. Look I get woman’s bodies make milk to provid for a child. “I GET IT” but come on this child is more than able to pick up a cup and use it. AND These people don’t look poor that they cant afford milk and if they were they could get WIC.. LOL… Well to each to their own but they are messing up this kid if they allow them to breast feed up till 6.. we love our kids but it’s not good to have this strong of an attachment… lol

mum

Posted at 12:36 PM on May 11, 2012

Odd that revealing cleavage and breast implants MIMIC engorgement and that’s a-okay, but a child gets nursed and the puritans are in an uproar. LAME!

Angelica

Posted at 12:09 PM on May 11, 2012

“I think that it gives my children a strong bond.”

If she has yet to bond with her child, then there is a problem with her!

Evan

Posted at 11:57 AM on May 11, 2012

I have a friend that was breastfeeding her daughter for three years. Her daughter’s teeth are completely destroyed because of the breastfeeding. All dentists are against.

Jennifer

Posted at 4:32 PM on May 11, 2012

Maybe if her daughter was sleeping with the boob in her mouth. But drinking breastmilk doesn’t hurt your teeth. That’s nonsense. In fact, it’s good for them. I don’t know where you got that info.

Signed, a dentist.

larissa

Posted at 4:57 PM on May 11, 2012

breastfeeding does not harm teeth unless you do it lying down and never take it out. much more damaging is JUICE. really. Studies have shown that breastfeeding helps prevent malocclusion. this is not a reason to do it but dont spread misinformation

Mel

Posted at 11:31 AM on May 11, 2012

Thats just weird! Time to pop the tit out that kids mouth…

Tiffy

Posted at 11:29 AM on May 11, 2012

This is a problem.

Kourtney

Posted at 11:40 AM on May 11, 2012

The problem is the ignorance of American people! Breastmilk is the best form of nourishment and comfort that a mother can offer her child!

LittleMo

Posted at 12:11 PM on May 11, 2012

NOT AT 3-4 YEARS OLD IT ISN’T!! That’s the age when children are supposed to be entering pre-school and getting ready for kindergarten. Forget breast-feeding, the kid should be off a sippy cup by then, too. And get off that “natural function” kick, too. Sex and going to the bathroom are natural functions, too, but I bet you wouldn’t want to see 2 people “going at it” in a church or somebody having a bowel movement on a main street sidewalk. Some things, natural function or not, should still be private and breast-feeding is one of them.

It's Jess

Posted at 1:38 PM on May 11, 2012

@LittleMo AMEN!

Jennifer

Posted at 4:25 PM on May 11, 2012

Do you know when you breastfeed you have to feed your child every 2-3 hours for the first few months? Are breastfeeding mom’s just supposed to stay home? Do you want to feed your child in a public restroom when that’s the only privacy available? It’s a boob. Get over it. It’s not poop or sex organs. It’s a feeding mechanism.

larissa

Posted at 4:59 PM on May 11, 2012

you dont consider this YOUR OPINION? yes kids always went to preschool at age 3-4. That’s so natural! why not send them at 1? I do, however agree that breastfeeding should be as discreet as possible and sexualizing it on a cover isnt making a good care.

Kurt

Posted at 3:05 PM on May 11, 2012

You obviously dont have a clue about breastfeeding your child and your husband. It’s a lot of work! I bet when you choose to not feed one, it will be the husband first? Give the damn kid a jar of gerbers let’s get back to the party!