'Vampire Diaries' Season Finale Recap: Is Elena Really [Spoiler]?

Thu, May 10, 2012 11:59pm EST by 286 Comments

I think it’s safe to say things will never be the same in Mystic Falls again. (So much for Elena’s dream of a vampire-free life!)

I believe I have the five words that perfectly sum up every viewer’s reaction to the final moments of The Vampire Diaries‘ third season finale: “Did that really just happen?!” And the answer is “yes, it did.” And it was awesome. Sure Elena (Nina Dobrev) finally made her choice between Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley), but by the time the credits rolled, I didn’t really care anymore.

My mind is now on one thing and one thing only: Elena Gilbert is a vampire. Meredith (Torrey DeVitto) gave her vampire blood, and then she died, and now she’s a freakin’ vampire!

OK, now breathe… and rewind: Like the most effed-up game of high school dodgeball ever, Alaric (Matt Davis) and Elijah (Daniel Gillies) created two teams this week, selecting each member individually — but unlike high school dodgeball, no one picked Matt (Zach Roerig). Also breaking the rules of organized sports, Alaric tracked down Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) body and staked him, sending everyone in Mystic Falls into full-fledged panic mode. “We all gonna die!” they thought, which led to so many moments of unspeakable beauty.

Only they didn’t die because, wait for it… Bonnie (Kat Graham) cast a spell to swap Klaus and Tyler’s spirits! But does that mean that Tyler is dead, and Michael Trevino will now play Klaus, meaning Joseph Morgan is off the show for good?! I guess we”ll find out when the show returns in the fall, but for now, I’ll get started on my J-Mo memorial shrine.

And now we can talk about the choice! After three incredibly long, drawn-out seasons, Elena finally decided to go with Stefan. Now grab your tissues, kids, because I obsessively wrote down Elena’s entire consolation speech to Damon — and it’s a doozy:

“I love him, Damon. He came into my life in a time when I needed someone and I fell for him instantly. No matter what I felt for you, I never un-felt for him. … I can’t think about always. All I can think about it right now. And I care about you, Damon, which is why I have to let you go. … Maybe if you and I had met first. You’re going to be fine, you hear me? You’re going to be OK, and I’m going to see you soon.”

Of course, her little speech took on a whole new level of dramatic irony when Damon had a little flashback of his own: It turns out he did meet Elena first! He met her the night she and her parents drove off Wickery Bridge — before they died, of course — only he compelled her to forget because he didn’t want anyone to know he was back in town.

And speaking of the bridge, Elena experienced a little déjà vu this week when she and Matt drove off it to avoid Rebekah. But unlike last time, when her dad told Stefan to save his daughter first, Elena told Stefan to save Matt. I’m not entirely sure why he agreed to do it, but he did, leaving Elena to literally drown to death at the bottom of the lake.

I actually still haven’t decided how I feel about Stefan letting Elena die. Yes, he is a noble gentleman and believes that his lady should be free to make her own choices — but did he really need to let her die?! And couldn’t he have handled pulling two little humans out of a car at once? He’s supposed to have crazy strength, but tonight, he just seemed plain crazy.

Elena’s death meant the end of evil Alaric, but as we all saw, she very quickly returned to the land of the living — as a vampire!

Even though Stefan was obviously this week’s winner, let’s just humor ourselves with a complete breakdown:

1. Elena hugs Stefan. He smells her hair. He seems to enjoy it quite a bit. (+5 points)
    x
  2. Stefan and Elena kiss “in case there is no later.” I’m not going to lie, it was crazy hot. (+20 points)
    x
  3. Elena tells Matt to drive her “home” to see Stefan. (+10 points)
    xx
  4. Elena straight-up chooses Stefan. (+10,000 points)
    xx
    x
  5. TOTAL: 10,035 points
  1. Damon says he cares more about protecting Elena than having her like him. (+10 points)
    x
  2. “When I’m with him, he consumes me,” Elena tells Matt. (+15 points)x
    x
  3. Elena tells Damon things might have been different if they she had met him before Stefan. (+10 points)
  4. But wait… A flashback reveals she did meet him first! And he gave her a beautiful speech about the kind of love she needs in her life! (+40 points)
    x
  5. TOTAL: 75 points

x

Well, there you have it. Another incredibly epic season finale down the drain, leaving us with a million questions to ponder until the fall: Is Tyler really dead? Is Joseph Morgan off the show for good? And, of course, what the HELL is Elena going to be like as a vampire?! I’m literally beside myself right now, so let’s just hash it all out in the comments section. Now!

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries Stories:

1. The CW Renews ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ’90210′ & More For Fall 2012
  2. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Scoop: Will Bonnie Pick Jamie Over Jeremy?

Vampire diaries

Posted at 5:11 AM on May 17, 2013

Well, i like them both, Stefan and Damon in the book all is better.

ericmosch

Posted at 3:33 PM on May 31, 2013

i hate both of them

herodscholes

Posted at 7:54 AM on February 23, 2013

in my perspective i definitely think that damian really should back-off cause Elena way over heels in love with stefan.pliz damian back-off for your own good

julie theriault

Posted at 12:03 AM on December 15, 2012

its cause damien promise to elena that everything she wish for would happen, thats why she always has the final say in ever decision

Prerna

Posted at 1:48 AM on December 10, 2012

I just luv al of the especially damon!! I still hope that they wil meet in 4th season definatly!!

AMANDA DIAS

Posted at 9:02 AM on December 6, 2012

VAI SER BM MELHOR SE ELENA FICAR COM DEMO;

Stephany Turtoga

Posted at 10:35 PM on November 16, 2012

i love stefelena.. dats 8!

Delena shipper

Posted at 3:03 AM on September 28, 2012

I was pissed off!!!!!!!!! but when she remembers everything damon said to her, thn there still hope.. <3 Delena forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage

Posted at 5:59 AM on September 20, 2012

Personally, I hate the way she died. It was kind of sick, dying the same why her parents died. Reliving that and dying. Awful. I am hoping she’s a vampire. Then she won’t be used as a living blood bag anymore. And I’m hoping she gets with Damen, after everything that happened I don’t think Stefan deserves her. And personally, I think killing alric like by turning her was genius, pure genius. They should have thought of that instead of it happening by accident. Just sayin.

Daisy9t

Posted at 5:48 AM on August 13, 2012

I’ve always love to see Delena together and I hope she remember all the good things Damon had done 4 her…..Omg! Can’t wait 4 Season 4 to be Aired on time….Team Delena rock and Sweet!

Steel daniella

Posted at 5:40 AM on August 10, 2012

Omg liked so much this season but me i think elena is better off with stephanie like rose said stephanie ; s love is pure.

pbjmub forever

Posted at 12:05 PM on December 2, 2012

Just saying
….. rose is the one that told hermetic that she should be with Damon… he makes her a better person and she does the same for him were her words to jermy…..

Jada

Posted at 4:48 AM on July 6, 2012

Let me start of with this: HOLY HELL! It feels like Im coming down from a high. In that episode, I felt happy, sad, shocked, mad, and most of all, confused! That episode, was, by far, my favorite.

I’m team Delena all the way. Ian is too smokin’ to resist. But besides the great looks of the actor and how he portrays him PERFECTLY, Damon is everything I would want, and Elena should want him, too. I mean, I fell in love with Stefan at the beginning. i was all for him and I just wanted Damon to just to leave the show completely and leave Stelena in their own perfect little world. But he grew on me. Maybe it was his witty comments or his great looks. Maybe it was how at every moment, he seemed to surprise us. We didn’t know if he was striving to piss of Elena or work for her affection. But he always left us with one question, what’s he gonna do next. To an extent, I guess that could get a bit o my nerves, but he’s so damn hot I don’t care.

and zoe below, wtf you talking about? There is no mention of a baby anywhere! haha (:

zoe

Posted at 5:51 PM on July 5, 2012

does elena have a baby to damion or stephen, who dies

Delena shipper

Posted at 3:06 AM on September 28, 2012

it’s not twilght :s hahahahha

deebee

Posted at 1:14 AM on July 5, 2012

…damon and elena still…

Delena shipper

Posted at 3:05 AM on September 28, 2012

agree :)

Cathy

Posted at 5:15 PM on July 3, 2012

I have to say I had never watched a single episode till 10 days ago I confess I’m hooked I hope she gets Damon I just like his charm which he is full of so many twists well written if I said I am 50 plus dose that show how sad I am
Cathy

Gabriella

Posted at 2:34 PM on July 3, 2012

Well, What i’m thinking is that now that Elena is a Vampire, she will remember everything everyone has compelled her to forget. Including Damon and her meeting FIRST. So maybe now she will see that, and fall in love with him, and besides, Stefan saved her life like what, once. Damon has been saving her life the entire season. I hope it works out.

teamdamon

Posted at 9:38 AM on July 3, 2012

Elena needs to choose damon! If she doesn’t, i won’t watch it. Damon deserves her. He met her first! Andddd stephan had katherine! Ughh i just feel bad for damon. He better get the girl once she remembers!!!

Caprica

Posted at 10:43 PM on July 2, 2012

does anyone realize that since klaus and tyler switched, that when caroline and tyler were making out in the cave, it was actually caroline and klaus making out! :) LOL :D

ivoneide

Posted at 3:29 PM on June 29, 2012

oi não entendí piroca nenhuma do q estar escrito mais creio q se trata de quem fica com a elena etefan ou damon,eu gostaria muito q o stefan ganhace mais se depender das votações ele ta é rodado fazer o q né?

Malf

Posted at 7:54 PM on June 28, 2012

Y dose evryone wants 2 see elena back with damon and not stafen, if she dose dat then wat is the difrence b/w her and katherine? I lyk dat she is with stafen damon neva aple 2 me.

no name

Posted at 7:19 PM on June 28, 2012

if elena does in fact turn into a vampire would she act like katherine? or stay the same sweet elena? i do hope that she turns into a vampire (only because) so she can remember when damon first told her that he loves her in her bedroom before giving back her necklace, and obviously when they actually first met. Also stefan doesn’t know what it feels like to lose elena, when he left he knew that she was waiting back home, but if elena chooses damon stefan would come to terms with how big of a dick he was all season long towards elena. so personally i would love to see elena give damon a chance to show her how much he loves and would do anything for her.

Ashli J

Posted at 6:31 PM on June 28, 2012

I can’t wait for TVD to come back on!!!!!!!! I realty hope Elena will come to her senses and choose Damon because Stephan sucks!!!!! I think she will since she’s a vampire and she will remember EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

whuddupchandluh

Posted at 6:13 PM on June 28, 2012

HOLY CRAP! I LOVE this show. I am so freaking happy that Elena chose Stefan! I kind of feel bad for Damon, but if he really loved her in the first place he wouldn’t have compelled her to forget about everything. BUT, I believe that now that Elena is a vampire, she will remember what happend that night with Damon. SO excited for Season 4 to come out! I have so many questions that NEED to be answered! AH<3

gelfling

Posted at 2:48 PM on June 26, 2012

Now that elena is back as a vamp, she will remember damon compelling her. And im almost certain there are more memories damon made her forget along with their first meeting. But jeremy drank annas blood then took pills, it healed him instead of turning him, maybe they’ll play out that role, who knows.

marissa

Posted at 3:31 AM on June 26, 2012

I think elena should be with stefan cos he went through a lot just to see that elena and damon didn’t die,as for me watching stefan and elena coming together will really made me long for another season,anything apart from that,am out

Brittany

Posted at 3:22 AM on June 26, 2012

im so happy she chose stefan <3 they are so cute together and have a lot of chemistry. i could care less who she met 1st stelena <3