'Vampire Diaries' Season Finale Recap: Is Elena Really [Spoiler]?

Thu, May 10, 2012 11:59pm EDT by 286 Comments

I think it’s safe to say things will never be the same in Mystic Falls again. (So much for Elena’s dream of a vampire-free life!)

I believe I have the five words that perfectly sum up every viewer’s reaction to the final moments of The Vampire Diaries‘ third season finale: “Did that really just happen?!” And the answer is “yes, it did.” And it was awesome. Sure Elena (Nina Dobrev) finally made her choice between Damon (Ian Somerhalder) and Stefan (Paul Wesley), but by the time the credits rolled, I didn’t really care anymore.

My mind is now on one thing and one thing only: Elena Gilbert is a vampire. Meredith (Torrey DeVitto) gave her vampire blood, and then she died, and now she’s a freakin’ vampire!

OK, now breathe… and rewind: Like the most effed-up game of high school dodgeball ever, Alaric (Matt Davis) and Elijah (Daniel Gillies) created two teams this week, selecting each member individually — but unlike high school dodgeball, no one picked Matt (Zach Roerig). Also breaking the rules of organized sports, Alaric tracked down Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) body and staked him, sending everyone in Mystic Falls into full-fledged panic mode. “We all gonna die!” they thought, which led to so many moments of unspeakable beauty.

Only they didn’t die because, wait for it… Bonnie (Kat Graham) cast a spell to swap Klaus and Tyler’s spirits! But does that mean that Tyler is dead, and Michael Trevino will now play Klaus, meaning Joseph Morgan is off the show for good?! I guess we”ll find out when the show returns in the fall, but for now, I’ll get started on my J-Mo memorial shrine.

And now we can talk about the choice! After three incredibly long, drawn-out seasons, Elena finally decided to go with Stefan. Now grab your tissues, kids, because I obsessively wrote down Elena’s entire consolation speech to Damon — and it’s a doozy:

“I love him, Damon. He came into my life in a time when I needed someone and I fell for him instantly. No matter what I felt for you, I never un-felt for him. … I can’t think about always. All I can think about it right now. And I care about you, Damon, which is why I have to let you go. … Maybe if you and I had met first. You’re going to be fine, you hear me? You’re going to be OK, and I’m going to see you soon.”

Of course, her little speech took on a whole new level of dramatic irony when Damon had a little flashback of his own: It turns out he did meet Elena first! He met her the night she and her parents drove off Wickery Bridge — before they died, of course — only he compelled her to forget because he didn’t want anyone to know he was back in town.

And speaking of the bridge, Elena experienced a little déjà vu this week when she and Matt drove off it to avoid Rebekah. But unlike last time, when her dad told Stefan to save his daughter first, Elena told Stefan to save Matt. I’m not entirely sure why he agreed to do it, but he did, leaving Elena to literally drown to death at the bottom of the lake.

I actually still haven’t decided how I feel about Stefan letting Elena die. Yes, he is a noble gentleman and believes that his lady should be free to make her own choices — but did he really need to let her die?! And couldn’t he have handled pulling two little humans out of a car at once? He’s supposed to have crazy strength, but tonight, he just seemed plain crazy.

Elena’s death meant the end of evil Alaric, but as we all saw, she very quickly returned to the land of the living — as a vampire!

Even though Stefan was obviously this week’s winner, let’s just humor ourselves with a complete breakdown:

1. Elena hugs Stefan. He smells her hair. He seems to enjoy it quite a bit. (+5 points)
    x
  2. Stefan and Elena kiss “in case there is no later.” I’m not going to lie, it was crazy hot. (+20 points)
    x
  3. Elena tells Matt to drive her “home” to see Stefan. (+10 points)
    xx
  4. Elena straight-up chooses Stefan. (+10,000 points)
    xx
    x
  5. TOTAL: 10,035 points
  1. Damon says he cares more about protecting Elena than having her like him. (+10 points)
    x
  2. “When I’m with him, he consumes me,” Elena tells Matt. (+15 points)x
    x
  3. Elena tells Damon things might have been different if they she had met him before Stefan. (+10 points)
  4. But wait… A flashback reveals she did meet him first! And he gave her a beautiful speech about the kind of love she needs in her life! (+40 points)
    x
  5. TOTAL: 75 points

x

Well, there you have it. Another incredibly epic season finale down the drain, leaving us with a million questions to ponder until the fall: Is Tyler really dead? Is Joseph Morgan off the show for good? And, of course, what the HELL is Elena going to be like as a vampire?! I’m literally beside myself right now, so let’s just hash it all out in the comments section. Now!

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries Stories:

1. The CW Renews ‘Vampire Diaries,’ ’90210′ & More For Fall 2012
  2. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Scoop: Will Bonnie Pick Jamie Over Jeremy?

abdul

Posted at 7:43 AM on May 30, 2012

Stalena deserve to togethr they meant for eachoder even in d reality buh daz life we always love d opposite things. Knowing damon is her fist meet it wudnt change d fact dat she’ll turn herself to him nup at all, stafen is a noble man he let her make her choice dax love freeworld all dat, stafen came to her wen she need smbdy, wen she dnt knw wat she want, he cuddle her, care fo her,love her,treat as a woman, sympathize her,romance her, tell her nice words, work fo her,be like her parents, stafen to elena is gift du consider that pals……..stafen , nd klause a d best suffer no rules.

Sarah

Posted at 4:49 AM on May 28, 2012

So if a main thing for Elena wanting Stefan is ‘I met him first’, what will happen when she remembers she met Damon first? Will that change anything, or will she still choose Stefan? God, why does it always have to be Stefan? First Katherine, now Elena? Wonder why Damon’s fifty shades of f-ed up (…I can’t believe I just made that reference…)? Maybe if someone picked him over his little brother once in awhile, he wouldn’t have as many issues as he does… and as a Damon fan (at this point he’s the only reason I really watch this show), it’s getting frustrating to always see him lose. Or if he does win, he loses what he won (i.e., Rose). He needs a win at least once before the show ends…

Either way, can’t wait for season 4 :)

Melissa

Posted at 12:15 PM on May 27, 2012

Now I’m really angry! Elena should’ve chosen Damon… ): Man I love him, and feel so bad, both Katherine & Elena chose Stefan. )= And Damon was so sweet the first time he met her. God, I’m so sad. Tears literally fell down my eyes when I saw Damon’s look after Elena told him who she chose. </3
I'm also wondering about why Stefan didn't save Elena? Or both of them? Come on, it's not like he couldn't :S And there's no chance in hell he would've rescued Matt rather than Elena., no matter what Elena wanted. Weird… Ahh, can't wait for season 4!! ♥

Sharna

Posted at 3:22 PM on May 25, 2012

Hey can a Damon/delena fan please explain this for me: nearly everyone loves Damon cos he’s a bad boy rite? That’s what I love him for (even though I also love stefan nd ship stelena cos they’re so meant to be together) but when Delena is happening he’s not really that bad boy, he’s pretty much just stefan… And the show who already has one of them… So my question is this: why would Damon fans want this? Please answer :)

Sharna

Posted at 3:26 PM on May 25, 2012

Also, I don’t think elena will feel a connection to Damon just cause his blood turned her… It also turned Caroline and she pretty much still hated Damon…

Team Delena!

Posted at 3:20 AM on May 25, 2012

I’m all for team stelena BUT remember when a human is turned to vampire they remember EVERYTHING they were told not too! That means she WILL remember she met Damon first. :'( I literally bawled my eyes out this episode!

common sense

Posted at 11:00 PM on May 24, 2012

WHY DIDN’T ELENA JUST SWIM TO THE TOP AFTER STEFAN GRABBED MATT!!! ALSO WHEN STEFAN SAVED HER THE FIRST TIME WHY DIDN’T HE JUST OPEN THE DAD’S CAR DOOR SO THE DAD COULD SWIM OUT??? …COMMON SENSE!…..but yeah, I can’t believe she’s a vampire now. Crazy!!!

Questions

Posted at 10:25 PM on May 24, 2012

In the books, didn’t Elena become involved with Damon after becomming a vampire because she felt a link to him since it was his blood that turned her? Won’t it be Damon’s blood that turned her on the show too?

Now that Elena will remember everything Damon previously told her but made her forget, will she make a different choice?

Do you think Stephan knew Elena would become a vampire? If so, maybe this explains why he let her die?

Dazzler

Posted at 3:08 AM on May 24, 2012

I was thinking the same thing! Stephan has super strength and he could have saved them both. With his super speed, he could go back in a sec to take Elena out of the lake. Some inconsistencies there but it was all for the drama to lead to Elena becoming a vampire. I knew Elena was going to choose Stephan because he doesn’t only care for her but also for her friends and he always wants to protect everyone: the more noble of the Salvatore brothers…

Bree

Posted at 3:49 PM on May 22, 2012

Oh, and hooked up with Damon while she was a vampire?

Bree

Posted at 3:48 PM on May 22, 2012

Um…have you people forgotten that she was a vampire in the books?

Nesta

Posted at 11:40 PM on May 19, 2012

I am bored with this show. I will not watch it next season.

RUBY

Posted at 11:16 PM on May 19, 2012

I FEEL HURT 4 DAMON AND SORRY 4 ELENA SHE SHOULDNT HAV TURN A VAMPIRE WHO WOULD THEY SAVE NW WIT ALL THEIR LIVE TEL ME BT IT WAS FANTASTIC AND FABOLOUS……….ETC

ruby

Posted at 11:08 PM on May 19, 2012

I DNT WANT CLAUZ 2 GO HW WOULD REBECCA SURVIVE THEY WOULD JUS TRIGGER GER EGO PLZ DNT LET CLAUDZ GO AND DAMON YAHOO I KNEW AT DA END OF DA DAY U ALWAYS WON ……..ETC

sara

Posted at 7:31 PM on May 18, 2012

how messed up is caroline having a relationship with tylers body (recent boyfriend) and spiritually with klaus (ex-boyfriend). and i really wanna see the look when she kisses tyler i bet question marks will be fluttering all over the place

Carol

Posted at 10:13 AM on May 18, 2012

For God’s sake learn how to write properly if you’re going to comment! No one will care what you write because they can’t understand it so don’t bother! You make yourself sound like an idiot!

sam

Posted at 10:06 AM on May 18, 2012

agreed

haterofelena

Posted at 7:31 AM on May 18, 2012

I’m sick of Elena!!! Why can’t the Salvatore brothers figure out that they both can do better than her! She’s a slut who’s leading them both on! “I choose Stefan”…please! She doesn’t know what she wants! She dragged it on for what, 5 episodes?!? Good grief, the authors are making us men look bad!

dana

Posted at 5:03 AM on May 18, 2012

Great ep despite elena choosing boring old stephan. definitely excited for next season because now that Elena is a vamp she’ll remember what Damon made her forget…”maybe if I had met you first, things would have been different”

also, so much potential for a tyler/klaus and caroline relationship. should be interesting to say the least!

vampirelover

Posted at 2:32 AM on May 18, 2012

word

marchbabe

Posted at 2:19 PM on May 17, 2012

well that was…interesting to say the least!first off,did bonnie really choose for tyler to die??????i know klaus couldn’t but to swap him with ty?i hope there’s more to it. and as for elena choosing stefan,im sorry but i’m not at all surprised. it made more sense coz stefan is her security blanket. and as for the whole Damon meeting her first,to me it doesn’t mean jack coz stefan was the one who showed her real love and loyalty first. I’m neither stelena/Delena but we gotta be realistic. And her choice didn’t surprise me lol just kinda like Blair choosing Chuck in GG. That’s just how it is and the sooner all delena fans accept it,we will all be at peace. On all blogs it looks like TVD should changed to The Delena diaries #rolling-eyes#

judith

Posted at 2:02 PM on May 17, 2012

this is lyk d worst season of vd am so pissed bcos dey re just copying twilight d movie……elena is d worst 2 tin happen dis season…..i hate d fact dat klaus died stelena nd delena shuld both go to hell…..i wuld miss tyler nd ric so much….care is d best tin in dis season……bonnie nd elena miss 2goody shoes…..dat wnt everyone shuld feel soory for dem…tinking dey re doin d best for pple dey love…..dey disgust me……dey shuld show more of caroline…..pls season 4shuld be beta

Sarah

Posted at 11:55 PM on May 17, 2012

Your opinion became invalid when you failed to string together a single comprehensible sentence.

Asuka

Posted at 12:14 PM on May 16, 2012

Sorry but i was very disappointed by this season finale as i was with the entire third season of Vampire Diaries. I honestly felt like i was watching Twilight: the television series! I’m not on either team Stelena or Delena because i believe both brothers can do better than Elena Gilbert. The love triangle is just as messed up as the whole Edward-Bella-Jacob triangle imo! No matter how many times Elena rejects or toys around with Damon, his always going to crawl right back to her just like how poor Jacob does to Bella. His “love” for her has become an obssession and Damon isn’t a very healthy vampire to want to be in a relationship with. Stefan, no matter what he does, is always going to be painted as “perfect”. In S1, he had so much potential and i really liked him. Come S3, Stefan has become Edward Cullen, only without the stalker tendencies. He gives Elena the freedom of choice but yet, he puts her so high up on a pestasal and gives her what she wants that not only does it make their relationship a bore to watch but, its like watching Bella and Edward together as they were Breaking Dawn. As for Elena, she is a total mary-sue and a blatant copy of Isabella Swan! They both are whiny, selfish, immature, personality less damsels-in-distress who are mistaken for being mature and constantly get people they love in danger yet whine about it. Elena has low self-esteem issues just like Bella (her constant need to kill herself back in S2, cleverly disguised by the writers as “selflessness”), her caring nature is so mary-sue that its not funny (“she cares about everyone so much, even the bad guys”-Elijah anyone-, its good to have a simpathic character but really, this is too much!). Her turning into a vampire comes as no surprise to me really.
Bonnie is a personality less plot device who the writers really want to disguise as an up and coming Willow Rosenberg.
The originals sucked and were such a disapointment! Klaus went from a badass in the end installment of S2 to a lonely artistic, big mouthed crybaby, pining for love and Caroline in S3. And if the writers were trying to add dimension to him- they FAILED! Rebekah is Rosalie. Nuff said. Kol was merely around for the sake of eye candy, nothing else. Finn had potential but they messed that up. Only Elijah felt right as a character but when he started sprouting how good and caring Elena was, i was afraid that he too was going to fall in love with Miss personality less, useless mary-sue.
Tyler and Caroline are the only two characters in this show that i still care for and feel developed, real, and not ripped from from the Twilight heap.
That’s my 2cents. Will tune into S4 but, i’m not raising my hopes.

Kat

Posted at 2:31 PM on May 16, 2012

It’s tv, it’s supposed to be OTT and if ur going to tune into series 4 then what are you whining about? Its obviously has you as hooked as the millions of other people who tune into every season despite ur rather brash comments. I love it no matter how over the top things get, it keeps me watching and if it can do that then it’s good entertainment! Can’t wait for series 4 and want Elena to go back to Damon! ;0)

marchbabe

Posted at 2:28 PM on May 17, 2012

i can’t help but agree. im not really sure where they are taking bonnie and as for stelena/delena:BORING!!!! the originals were a bunch of useless beings!and lets not forget the logic in TVD,no one stays human for too long,you’ll eventually become a vampire/witch/werewolf/hybrid/some crazed out freak or well you’re six feet under!why the hell does no one ever seem to want to leave then????

Shelby

Posted at 10:40 PM on May 24, 2012

Funny thing is these books were written BEFORE Twilight…

Sue

Posted at 12:32 AM on May 16, 2012

The thing I can’t understand is this, why did Stefan go back to Mystic Falls and Damon keep on driving to the storage place? Did they really flip a coin? I CANNOT believe they would do that even though Damon mentioned something about their lives being the “proverbial coin toss”. There was no scene telling us what happened and I thought that was sloppy and careless for that was the main reason Elena had that conversation with Damon, because he wasn’t there! So many loose ends that this story is getting more twisted and senseless by the minute… I hope they tie some of those ends in the new upcoming season.

Anipat

Posted at 1:56 AM on May 16, 2012

I think they did not flip a coin.. i believe it was Damon who chose for Stefan to go back instead of himself.. just as how Damon turned Bonnie’s mom into a vampire even though it was supposed to be Stefan..

Susie

Posted at 9:31 PM on May 15, 2012

When I see people celebrating that Elena chose Stefan, I seriously wonder…do you really want another season of their colorless, lifeless and right down boring relationship? Like hell I do… Ewww… Just be honest with yourselves and own to the fact that Damon and Elena’s moments have been the most exciting, entertaining and hot of the entire show…(that rub down against the pillar at the motel was just epic! ) Anyway, you Stelena shippers have not seen the last of Damon and Elena. That love triangle will continue until the end of the series because that is what sells and what keep us glued to the TV week after week. I hope the writers keep more faithfully to the books in the future for Elena is becoming just a whiny little bitch and Stefan, well, a pretty worn out doormat (under Elena’s feet) I hate he fact that he lets Elena continue making life threatening mistakes so she “won’t hate him if he doesn’t” …oh, please…Stefan needs to grow some hair chest and do what’s best for her (in spite of her) to save her life… That’s what Damon does, save her even though there is a possibility of her hating him for it. That’s what we do for people we love. I’m looking forward to season 4 where I’m sure we will see a whole lot of wicked Delena moments… I can’t wait to see Elena living her vampire life…and with Damon by her side! Stefan can go and suck on a rabbit for a while…

Erin

Posted at 9:21 PM on May 15, 2012

I hate how they make it seem like Stefan is the knight in shining armor and then you find out that Damon sacrificed something or did something extraordinary. I hate that she meets Damon first and he says what she says to Matt about Damon consuming her. Of course it’s him. Who knows what Stefan could’ve said. It’s Damon’s fault for Elena not choosing him, making her forget that night at the bonfire. People are always complaining about how she doesn’t get a choice but she did then. I was sad/shocked that she died but I saw it coming, one way or another. It’s a vampire show. Like Julie said, no one’s safe. Poor everyone for losing Elena and Tyler or so it seemed. On a happier note, this was by far the best episode yet and I really enjoyed the music.