Mom Breastfeeds Three-Year-Old Son On 'Time' Cover — Appropriate?

Thu, May 10, 2012 4:20pm EDT by 24 Comments
Time Are You Mom Enough

Can you believe this shocking cover of a mother breastfeeding her nearly four-year-old son? He’s so big she can’t even carry him! Is ‘Time’ going too far?

If Time Magazine‘s editors wanted our attention, they definitely got it! The latest cover features blogger Jamie Lynne Grumet confidently staring at the reader while offering her nipple to her son Aram.

The Los Angeles-based mom applies the same practice to her adopted five-year-old son Samuel.

She told Time that she was breast-fed until she was six years-old. “It’s really warm. It’s like embracing your mother, like a hug. You feel comforted, nurtured and really, really loved,” the 26-year-old said. “I had so much self-confidence as a child, and I know it’s from that. I never felt like she would ever leave me. I felt that security.”

Time Magazine ‘Are You Mom Enough?’ — Are You CRAZY Enough?

As much as the cover leaves us slack-jawed, the article, “Are you Mom enough” isn’t really about breastfeeding. It’s actually about the “attachment parenting” theory supported by Dr. William Sears that says love and comfort should be extended until whenever the mother and child are ready to wean.

The issue will be out May 11. Do you think this cover is extreme, HollyMoms?

[TIME]

– Lorraine Chow

More HollyBaby news:

1. OREO Ad Uses Breastfeeding To Sell Cookies — PIC
  2. Seattle Moms Campaign To Make Breastfeeding In Public A Civil Right
  3. Alicia Silverstone Nurses Bear Blu While Walking — See Pics

shiraz

Posted at 11:54 PM on August 31, 2012

THAT LADY IS A GREAT MOM BCOZ SHE WANT HER KID HEATHY. AND MOM MILK IS COMPLET FOOD FOR A KID.HER KID WILL BE HEALTHY.AND MOM WILL ALSO WELL..SO EVERY ONE SHOULD TO CARE ABOUT KID.REALLY THAT LADY IS A GREAT MOM.

alele

Posted at 3:29 AM on May 26, 2012

REALLY??? She must be crazy enough to still breastfeed her 3 year old. That’s just NASTY… uggg…

saadi

Posted at 2:43 PM on May 14, 2012

OK>>>Breast feeding is healthy. Why not pump the milk and put it in a cup? If babing is not why you breast feed at this age, then why not keep him in dipers and put his juice in a bottle and spoon feed him. I bet you pottie trained him as soon as possible.

kRISTINA

Posted at 3:25 PM on May 13, 2012

YOU SAY THIS PICTURE IS SEXUAL. YOU SAY IT’S NOT BONDING BECAUSE THEY ARE BOTH LOOKING AT THE CAMERA.
I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT WHEN I’M OUT AND ABOUT AND I BREASTFEED MY 15 MONTH OLD, HE IS NOT LOOKING ADORINGLY INTO MY EYES, BUT AROUND AT THE WORLD, AND I AM LOOKING TO SEE IF ANY AS$ IS GOING TO BE OFFENDED BECAUSE I NURSE IN PUBLIC.
IF YOU FIND THIS PICTURE DISGUSTING, YOU ARE SICK IN THE MIND.
DO YOU GET OFFENDED WHILE WATCHING THE REAL HOUSE WIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY?
DO YOU GET OFFENDED WHEN YOU GO INTO BOOKS-A-MILLION AND SEE THE PLAYBOYS BEHIND THE COUNTER?
DO YOU GET OFFENDED WHEN YOU WATCH THE MTV VIDEOS LIKE RIHANNA OR BRITTNEY SPEARS (HECK SHE STRIPS DOWN TO BARELY NOTHING AT AWARD SHOWS!).
THIS WOMAN IN THE TIME MAGAZINE IS AWESOME! I APPLAUD HER FOR BEING COURAGEOUS ENOUGH TO POSE FOR THIS PICTURE AND TO TAKE ALL THE CRITICISM OF THESE PEOPLE WHO EITHER DON’T HAVE KIDS OR WHO CLAIM, “I COULDN’T PRODUCE MILK’, GIVE ME A BREAK, YOU CAN PRODUCE MILK, YOU DIDN’T TRY. SO STOP PUSHING YOUR GUILT OR ANGER ON NURSING IN PUBLIC MOMS.

Mumof8fromQ8

Posted at 7:25 PM on May 19, 2012

I have 8 kids my youngest is 30 months and I still breastfeed her. Love this picture So many mother breastfeed past the age of 2 nice to finally get it out there .And to those of you that think it’s inappropriate we’ll you’er small minded.Inbelieve i’m doing the best for my child and when she starts self weaning that fine if she wants to continue well that’s also fine.And for thoses of you that are ismall minded there is such a thing as breastfeeding etiquette .Look it up

Mumof8fromQ8

Posted at 7:38 PM on May 19, 2012

WELL SAID KRISTINA ! Couldn’t have put it better myself .

gbtw

Posted at 4:24 PM on May 11, 2012

to me breastfeeding was an intimate thing between me and my child, and i wouldn’t have flashed it on a magazine cover or shared it with just anyone. at that boy’s age, he does not need to breastfeed for nourishment, and i’m not sure if he gets any added health benefits beyond what he could get over the counter (he’s already gotten the immunity stuff from it, a long time ago). so, to me, breastfeeding at this age is about bonding (and, isn’t that what people are trying to promote- the attachment?); so, why would she cheapen that by having such a cold photo taken and splashed on the cover of a national magazine?

Zelda

Posted at 2:55 PM on May 11, 2012

Jordan: You are exactly right! My breasts, my business. For the record I am against abortion. But don’t tell me or any other mother who chooses to practice child led weaning what to do with our breasts. When men can lactate then they can have a say in breast feeding. And yes Charlotte, it is VERY slanted using the words “shocking” and “extreme” in the title. However Charlotte, we are in the minority and those small minded folks who see through a tiny pin hole of what the rest of the world is really all about. I also follow WHO and use Dr. Sears methods. My girls are just FINE and healthy breast fed children.

Zara

Posted at 7:57 AM on May 25, 2012

FYI, men can and do lactate. So I guess they CAN have a say.
It’s called google. Try using it and doing a little research before sprouting bs.

Charlotte

Posted at 2:34 PM on May 11, 2012

Some of your comments are disgusting, and I completely agree with Zelda.

It infuriates me that glamour modelling and skimpy clothing are both considered socially acceptable, but using your breasts for their intended purpose is not!

The average weaning age of breastfeeding globally is 4 years, andthe World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding until “2 years and beyond.” The slant of this article shows exactly what is wrong with our society: calling it “shocking” and asking if we think it is “extreme” shows how uncomfortable people feel with the most natural thing in the world!

mfrida

Posted at 10:12 AM on May 11, 2012

Is this really about mom? Does mom do it for internal satisfaction? Or perhaps to keep her weight in check? For me breastfeeding is a beautiful action but in no way meant for the pleasure of demonstrating your breast to the world. Women need to keep it to a descent level. What does her husband think? I would like to know how men feel about their wives breast feeding their child beyond 1 or 2 years old.

Zelda

Posted at 8:43 AM on May 11, 2012

What is the big deal? This just proves how backward America really is toward nursing children. In most other countries it is NORMAL to nurse to this age and beyond. For those of you don’t already know, breasts are designed to do this, FEED children. But yet society does not get offended when a half naked hoe bag from real wives show is on the front cover of trashy magazines. Let mothers make their OWN decisions for their own babies. Our breasts. Our babies. Our business. Buzz off.

Jordan

Posted at 1:42 PM on May 11, 2012

Sounds like the same type of attitude from those who support abortion.
My body – I can do what I want.

If you don’t see the sickness in this picture – you have got an issue yourself!

The comment from Jonas is dead on!

This kid will have some very hard years ahead.

weeweehead

Posted at 4:42 PM on September 1, 2012

Seriously “hard” years. lol that crap is gross.

Erica

Posted at 7:30 AM on May 11, 2012

I believe when a child can have an opinion, that’s when it should stop. I guess breast feeding is way of bonding. It still. Like a mother dog ‘cuts the cord’ when pups are onl a few months old. It wouldn’t hurt for her son to use a sippy! Also, I have to ask, what happens when she does decide to stop breast feeding him? How will he take the new?

Lucy

Posted at 7:24 AM on May 11, 2012

I think you are all absolutely ridiculous this is the most normal and natural thing in the world. Would you be up in arms if the picture was of a tribes woman? The world health organisation encourages mothers to breast feed till the age of 4 she is doing what is best for her and her children and that in my opinion makes her a good mum

Jess

Posted at 1:33 AM on May 11, 2012

Why did Time Magazine even consider printing this? It is highly inappropriate, and like others stated, sexual. Absolutely disgusting that this mother thinks this kind of behavior is OK…

Jonas

Posted at 10:27 PM on May 10, 2012

What is most offensive about this image is its purposeful sexualisation. The message of breastfeeding is utterly lost, and was, indeed, never intended. There is no connection between mother and son – both engage with the camera, rather than with each other – and the mother’s pose is highly sexualised, totally at odds with the true nature of breastfeeding. The child is much too old and this image borders on suggestions of paedophilia. This is why there is such outrage about the image. It should be banned. The child will, sadly, suffer for this in the future.

Dee

Posted at 10:46 PM on May 10, 2012

Jonas,
I think your post hit the nail on the head. I breastfed my son until he was one but I couldn’t put my finger on what I found offensive about the photo. It makes me uncomfortable looking at it but I almost felt guilty feeling that way since I am pro breastfeeding……until I read your post. You are right on point with your remarks and I agree 100%.

Alli

Posted at 11:34 PM on May 10, 2012

i couldn’t agree more

Lissy

Posted at 9:26 PM on May 10, 2012

To my mind, this is child abuse. Perhaps not the breastfeeding (although I do think that’s inappropriate at that age) but because this kid is going to get the crap beaten out of him for the rest of his life from people (mostly boys) who see this photo.

If she wants to be a spokesperson for longterm breastfeeding, go for it. But don’t drag your child into YOUR fight / position / stance on a controversial topic. TIME should never had let this photograph run. At the very least, his face should have been shielded.

hmm

Posted at 7:38 PM on May 10, 2012

INCEST!

JB

Posted at 6:56 PM on May 10, 2012

This is just downright disturbing to me. I am an advocate for breastfeeding (I did it with my son), however I think there comes a time when you should stop…and in my opinion the time for this child to be weaned has come and gone. Actually, it is probably more along the lines of the MOTHER that needs to be weaned from her child. And really…breastfeeding a six year old!!! I guess whatever floats your boat…

Andrey Min'kov