'American Idol': Hollie Cavanagh Reacts To Judges' Harsh Criticism

Thu, May 10, 2012 7:32am EDT by 32 Comments
Hollie Cavanagh American Idol

The judges told Hollie she ‘didn’t feel’ her second performance May 9 — but she tells HollywoodLife.com they’re wrong!

With only four finalists remaining this season on American Idol, the judges are becoming more critical of each performance, a lesson Hollie Cavanagh learned the hard way May 9 when the panel told her she “didn’t feel” her own performance of Bonnie Raitt‘s “I Can’t Make You Love Me.” “It’s not good to get bad criticism at this point, but I felt [the song],” Hollie told HollywoodLife.com after taping the live show.

“I felt the lyrics in it, she continued. “They can tell me I didn’t feel it, but I felt it. I feel like I felt it, then I felt it, you know?”

Oh, we know.

“It’s just, I guess, my song choice,” Hollie conceded. “They loved the first song choice, but not the second one.”

How do you feel about Hollie’s future on Idol? Were the judges right to criticize her last night? And do you think she’ll be the one voted off tonight? Watch her performance below, then cast your vote and share your thoughts in the comments!

Loading video...

— Reporting by Russ Weakland

More Idol:

1. Recap: It’s Hollie Cavanagh’s Time To Go
  2. Skylar Laine: Why I’m Relieved I’m Off ‘Idol’
  3. Results: The Most Shocking Elimination Yet?

american made furniture

Posted at 4:10 AM on June 16, 2012

Hi there, simply was aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you happen to continue this in future. A lot of other folks shall be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Cordeaux

Posted at 12:57 PM on May 17, 2012

I think Joshua should win. He brings people back to the music which started it all. You haters need to stfu.

Lenny

Posted at 11:03 AM on May 12, 2012

The judges should be replaced instead of the contestants! A more professional representation in judging should be of the utmost concern. Judges who have studied music and have the educational background is of the highest requirement. The presentation of Jennifer Lopez was appalling. A “hootchy-cootchy” dance is more apropo at a strip club and not presentable to an audience of younger people. Voting should be compiled by the judges instead of the audience. The audience for the most part is not atune to design of good and proper music.

Gup

Posted at 9:04 AM on May 12, 2012

All four are talented and it’s all a matter of taste at this point. I think the judges are doing Joshua a disservice by praising him all the time. He needs to show more restraint but why should he when he gets standing ovations whenever he does all these over-the-top performances?

LINDA HOFFMAN

Posted at 11:19 PM on May 11, 2012

THESE KIDS ARE SO GOOD, I WISH THEY COULD ALL WIN, BUT I AM ROUTING FOR JESSICA!!!

Cg

Posted at 7:46 PM on May 11, 2012

Yes!!! Carol thank you!!! Thankfully we won’t hear the volume of negativity from the judges who about a million times have said “Pitchy” or something like ‘that’s where you should be now’, don’t you feel better now as if the whole season was about what they might do next year. With better judging, better song choices, less Jimmy, better commentary, less favoritism, and a better range of voices (do we have to listen to screaming that we would turn off in a heartbeat on the radio?) maybe Idol will make it one more season but I’m going to the Voice for a cure for everything that is wrong with Idol these days.

Paige

Posted at 10:20 AM on May 12, 2012

YOU A COMPLETE MORON…..FREAKIN IDIOT

Carol

Posted at 4:57 PM on May 11, 2012

Would someone please tell me what all the over-the-top praise for Joshua is for? He doesn’t sing…he screams every song. Would people really buy his music? No! The judges are so biased. I would love to see all 3 of them replaced.

tuwana tia

Posted at 3:00 PM on May 10, 2012

I think joshua growls alot during his performance which is a huge difference than actually screaming…the screaming was Lambert a few seasons ago… Jessica’s “you are so beautiful” rendition was unbelievable…how can u say she screamed that? Impossible to scream on that song…Hollie is boring and I would fall asleep if she was ever to give a concert…but she is such a lovely girl. Skylar, Joshua and Jessica should have ended up the top three by far.

Doris

Posted at 12:55 PM on May 10, 2012

I think that Phil is the most talented as he is unique and overall a great singer/songwriter and musician. Also, I think Hollie has a great voice. I agree that Josh and Jessica’s screaming isn’t singing…and if anyone is one dimensional it is them. What is wrong with the judges…that’s why I love the voice because Blake and Ceelo is very fair and honest who is the most talented…and although Xtina was giving a hard time to Adam’s contestant she was fair with scoring regarding talent. However, Adam wasn’t fair and if he didn’t give his guy an extra 10 points he wouldn’t have been in the running. Therefore, I love the “VOICE” overall because Idol is a fix. I don’t care for JLO at all yet she thinks she is a great talent…but my real surprise is Tyler…be true to thy self but I still love ya!

Angela

Posted at 11:40 AM on May 10, 2012

I think the judges stink…..Josh and Jessica are screaming and that’s all the judges like. Since when did you have to scream to be an American Idol? Hollie has the best voice – and she’s sixteen!!!! They are very harsh and unfair in their criticism of Hollie.

gbtw

Posted at 1:57 PM on May 10, 2012

i believe hollie is 18. jessica is 16.

Fay

Posted at 1:47 AM on May 12, 2012

Agree 100%.Need to bring back Simon,Paula,and keep Randy.Those were fair and gave credit to the talented people.

patty

Posted at 11:38 AM on May 10, 2012

Joy, couldn’t agree with you more. Joshua may be entertaining, but if we are looking at pure vocal talent, then Hollie, even Elise have two of the best voices, Jessica as well. My favorite and I think he had the most raw talent and should have sung acapella is Colton. Joshua screams his songs, Phillip looks constipated and is another Taylor Hicks (looks like it hurts to sing), Jessica is great, but needs more seasoning. Joshua doesn’t deserve all of the standing ovations he is receiving from the judges. It’s getting old, they show so much favortism it’s sickening. Joshua can entertain, but he doesn’t have the best voice.. He sounds like Fantasia did and look where she is, not a great artist at all. Joshua’s You Raise Me Up was off key, boring and too raspy. I’m so tired of the screaming. Let’s listen to these singers a pick the ones who can really sing the notes, have pure raw talen and have beautiful voices….the ones that when they sing with music they can sing on key!!!

patty

Posted at 11:46 AM on May 10, 2012

I mean’t to say pick the ones that when they sing without music they sing on key, that’s a talented vocalist. Anything can be fixed in a studio recording session. I forgot to mention that the judges sound ridiculous when they say these finalist are the best ever on idol or the best vocalist that they’ve ever heard.

laura

Posted at 10:54 AM on May 10, 2012

anyone old enough here to know who Steve McQueen is??? well Philip looks like he could be his kid!!!! love love love Philip, hope he wins…….he feels the music like no one else.

Mike

Posted at 7:39 PM on May 11, 2012

Phillip can’t sing and he really sucks. The judges are so spell bound with this kid that they forgot what the show is all about. Skylar & Hollie can sing rings around him. He is terrible all around

jay V

Posted at 2:53 PM on May 12, 2012

Wow, you also were watching in reality world the same as me and my wife.

Stacey aldinger

Posted at 10:32 AM on May 10, 2012

I think they need some1 2 bash do they picked hollie but Philip is not better than her. I think Joshua should win….

Joy

Posted at 10:15 AM on May 10, 2012

Hollie Cavanaugh is the only contestant who doesn’t have to scream or growl to disquise her voice.. She has the voice and presence and poise of a professional singer. She is intelligent and gives respect to the judges by listening to the expert advice and tries to apply what she has learned in her performances. She has already proven she can take the heat. She will also prove she can be a great female artist. She is very worthy of being The American Idol 2012 Winner.

gbtw

Posted at 2:24 PM on May 10, 2012

i agree with you. i’m not her biggest fan, but she is unfairly criticized routinely. not only does she have a great voice, but she is gorgeous- and has a carrie underwood tv/commercial appeal. i mean, she could sell anything on tv- skincare, toothpaste, you name it. i know that sounds ridiculous, but she really is the kind of person that could easily become as big as carrie. and her voice is fantastic. it’s not gimmicky, but it’s spot on. and, i believed she felt this performance. at a certain point, i have to wonder if it isn’t the judges who are out of touch. a teenager can feel a song like that, but they feel it in a different way than bonnie raitt who first sang the song when she was in her 40s. that they feel it differently doesn’t mean that hollie wasn’t feeling it… hearing that, and seeing the ages of the contestants and the voters- it makes me think for the first time that one of the big problems with idoljudges is maybe that they’re too old. jennifer isn’t THAT old, but she’s been around the block :)— maybe the problem is that THEY can’t relate to these clean cut teenagers, not that the teenagers can’t relate to the songs.

Fay

Posted at 1:34 AM on May 12, 2012

Agree,all Joshua and Jessica can do is scream during their performance and the judges are really showing who their favorities are with the standing ovations for those two.Really I am sick of Ledet and his screaming and Jessica’s baby way’s.These two think they are the greatest thank’s to the judges.It must have been really tough on the others hearing nothing but praise from the judges.Holly is a great singer and wait and see who will have a great career and the others will fade after Idol.Need Simon back.

slimaz

Posted at 10:10 AM on May 10, 2012

joshua is the best on american idol because he’s the best singer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maddadios

Posted at 11:30 AM on May 10, 2012

No no no he isn’t! He’s the best screamer on idol. He couldn’t carry a tune to save phillips life! And phillip can’t sing worth crap! Hollie blows jessica away. The duet they did proves it!!!

linda

Posted at 2:50 PM on May 10, 2012

Sorry, the only thing it proved is that Jessica was not trying to make herself be the show; the both she and Hollie be the show. It called teamwork. Hollie had most of the High notes portion of the song and jessica had the low ones.

Rachel Sugimoto

Posted at 4:47 PM on May 11, 2012

In a duet, you are to compliment one another. And, that is
what Jessica did. They are both excellent singers.
Only time will tell. But, I think Jessica has earned her
spot there. If Hollie would have been there, I would have
been okay, too. They both sang difficult songs which
showed tremendous talent, and HARD WORK. This is a
reality show……remember, and not perfect……but they
earned being in the top 4

laura

Posted at 9:52 AM on May 10, 2012

I loved Skylar too, was hoping her and Philip were the final 2.They are both so original…..lots of these kids were praised too much all season, at least Simone would tell the truth…….

laura

Posted at 9:47 AM on May 10, 2012

when Simone was on idol even he would not bash the final 4, they are all good singers, why would they knock her down like that, all 3 of them did it……too harsh, they should follow Simone and just say you are all good or you would not be here, one song should not change what people think of her…. my fav is Philip, he is incredible hope he wins……….

Roy

Posted at 9:04 AM on May 10, 2012

Well its about time this girl started to stick up for herself against these judges i mean to say Steve Tyler didnt know who Leona Lewis was ermmm Steve shes one of the best singers in the world, Jlo says Joshua is the best singer in 50 years (yeah right ok Jlo what ever you say) and Randy says Joshua is the best idol ever.
The American public know how talented she is and saved her when the judges tried to throw her under a bus before so its a good job they have the final say.
I personally felt the song and thought she did a better job than Adele when she covered it and `i cant make you love me` is trending worldwide on twitter at the moment so someone else must be feeling it as well.

gbtw

Posted at 2:01 PM on May 10, 2012

i wonder if they all bashed her b/c in the voting she is so far behind the other three that she needs a boost from sympathy/outrage of the voters toward the judges? people really like her and think she’s sweet… and, she does have a great voice. she does need more seasoning and confidence, but she can be a star…

Jae

Posted at 8:27 AM on May 10, 2012

I have loved watching Hollie gain momentum but she was the weakest singer in a stellar second half. She should be proud of herself but she should be the one leaving tonight. If Josh or Jess leaves, I will throw something.

Faye

Posted at 5:43 PM on May 12, 2012

Hollie was the best singer of the final four. She sang with a beautiful voice, she didn’t scream like the rest of them. The judges destroyed her with their comments. Phillip Phillips can’t sing at all. The other two do nothing but scream. Who are these judges anyway. Steven Tyler is an entertainer but a lousy singer. Jay lo is a better actress than singer and proved it on american idol. Randy is nothing but a base player, which by the way is the easiest guitar to play.