'American Idol' Recap: It's Hollie Cavanagh's Time To Go

Wed, May 9, 2012 10:22pm EST by 50 Comments
Courtesy of FOX

The Top 4 hit the ‘Idol’ stage with one thing in mind — getting closer to the finals. Who deserves to make the Top 3?

The Top 4 took on songs with a California Dreamin’ and Songs You Wish You Wrote themes. With such a wide-open second theme, the Idols had a plethora of songs that they could choose. But with the notoriously bad song choices the Idol hopefuls often make, did it turn into a great episode of performances or was it a bust? And why did they sing so many songs that were just on The Voice?

Phillip Phillips: “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” by Creedence Clearwater Revival

The death spot this week has been given out to the one and only Phillip Phillips. Do the producers really want to see him go home? This performance was leaps and bounds better than anything he did last week, but it wasn’t spectacular. The girl with the saxophone was heavily featured, which may have taken away from his performance. But the judges were really happy with what they saw. I agree with Randy that it started off a little weird but got better as the song continued. Nothing amazing but he certainly didn’t harm his standing. I think the others may be better as the night continues, we shall see.

Hollie Cavanagh: “Faithfully” by Journey

Such an incredible song that was a wise decision for Hollie to take on and tackle. Its the part of the competition where song choices are almost just as important as the performance. Speaking of the performance, it wasn’t good. I didn’t believe her and the story that the lyrics are meant to tell. This might be the song that finally takes her off the show. But the judges loved it, which basically says to me that the judges are awful. Listen to the original song and how it should be performed and then listen to Hollie’s performance. It was not good. Then she talked about not understanding the song, well, Hollie you still don’t!

Joshua Ledet: “You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban

This could be a safe choice for Joshua. Its a great song that wasn’t done very well by Chris Mann from The Voice, but I imagine that Joshua will pull it out. It didn’t start it out very well. The problems the Idol hopefuls have is that they can’t emotionalize the songs they choose. They just sing it, which is not really what music is all about. This song by Josh Groban is a classic and Joshua Ledet did it worse than Chris Mann. Which really isn’t saying much. Jennifer Lopez said he was the best singer in the last 50 years last week, this performance proved her wrong.

Jessica Sanchez: “Steal Away” by Etta James

Jessica Sanchez is 16-years old and needs to sing a song that is closer to her age range and make things fun. We get that she can sing the high notes, but its time to entertain us. This was very cabaret and a maybe a little bit to dirty for her as well. The judges should not even talk because they never have any criticism. Randy Jackson mentioned she could sing the phonebook. I’m thinking that it would have been a better song selection. She really needs to knock her next song out of the park.

Duet #1

“This Love” by Maroon 5 – Joshua Ledet & Phillip Phillips

This was great, this is the types of songs they both should sing. This could be a revelation for them both. This performance together was better than their individual performances. Watching these two perform I could see these two being the final two. The judges loved it, and I actually agree with the judges assessments. This was effortless and fun. It’s about time!

Duet #2

“Eternal Flame” by The Bangles – Hollie Cavanagh & Jessica Sanchez

Who in the world OK’d the swings? This was the complete opposite from Joshua and Phillips performance. Randy Jackson mentioned that it was strange and I couldn’t agree any more. The best performance was that Joshua and Phillip started swinging in the background because this duet was miserable. They didn’t play off each other and seemed like they didn’t want to be there. Yikes!

Phillip Phillips: “Volcano” by Damien Rice

After the 7 hour ‘Rock of Ages’ commercial we are back to the competition. Phillip Phillips came off his fantastic duet and reverted back to his old ways. But it was way better than his first song. It was slow but he felt the lyrics which was a nice change of pace. He was in his wheelhouse but I still would like to hear him do more Maroon 5 type songs. That’s were he shined. He is safe and I liked it and the simpleness of it all. But next week, Phillip needs to blow America’s minds and really change it up to be the next American Idol.

Hollie Cavanagh: “I Can’t Make You Love Me” by Bonnie Raitt

The judges pretty much killed her after this performance. She will really need tons of votes to be saved. But what she has proven the last couple weeks is that she has gotten those votes. It wasn’t that bad but the judges who need to bash someone chose Hollie because they want the Top 3 to be Phillip, Joshua and Jessica. Well I am pretty sure that they will get their wish.

Joshua Ledet: “It’s a Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World” by James Brown

This song will probably get him his 14th standing ovation. If anything he is safe especially performing after Hollie who was bashed. We got our usual screams from Josh but he kept it interesting. He made it into an actual performance. The judges will love this and just as I thought, he got his 14th standing ovation. I really hate that the judges have already crowned him the best singer in the world and the best American Idol of all time. Randy Jackson deemed this the best performance the best of any singing show but last week on The Voice – Juliet Simms sang the song much better.

Jessica Sanchez: “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” by Jennifer Holliday

This song is stuff of legend, but Jennifer Hudson and Jennifer Holliday own this song. Jessica Sanchez is not a Diva, she has a big voice but that is all she has as she doesn’t have the performance to back it up. She seemed like she rushed the song to get all the notes in rather than make a statement like Joshua did in the previous performance. The arrangement was all over the place and it seemed like the judges forced themselves to stand up. It wasn’t as natural as Joshua. Plus the judges really had to stretch things. She’s safe but she shouldn’t be in the finals.

So HollywoodLifers, Who will make it to the Top 3 and who will be going home?

Loading video...

Russ Weakland

mek

Posted at 7:36 PM on May 10, 2012

Yo! You dont seem to like jessica.. your review is quite harsh for her. I bet you dont know how to sing and appreciate music after all

gbtw

Posted at 2:11 PM on May 10, 2012

i haven’t decided if i’ll watch these performances or just skip to the results show and the “highlights” they show before they give the news on each contestant. i mean, why do i need to watch 2 f’ing hours of tv just to see four contestants compete? this is an outrage. that said, i know i am in the minority and go against what you and jimmy think about jessica’s appropriate song choices- but i love, love, love the idea of these two songs choices for her voice (tho frightened over whatever ridiculous outfits they give her) and might fast forward through the ridiculously long two hours to get to hear these two performances. i mean, i love the songs, and that’s the kind of stuff i like for jessica— that said, i’m not a tween, and i don’t really care that she’s only 16 and singing an etta james (bow down, all) song. i think she is worthy of the “diva” title- in a good way.

Thriventman

Posted at 11:58 AM on May 10, 2012

Jessica is cute, sings well, but forced at times. I don’t care for her lower register. It sounds like the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz or me as a kid singing through a cardboard paper towel tube or into a window fan. Sorry Jessica lovers. I know there are many.

PXAM09

Posted at 11:43 AM on May 10, 2012

She should not be in the Top 3? Are you a psychic troll face? have you heard their songs for next week? I like your articles before but your credibility is no longer acceptable even for tabloids.

Weaky Weaky

Posted at 11:40 AM on May 10, 2012

Weaky Weaky!! I dont know what you’re listening to, BUT Jessica is way better that your stupid comments. You have never said anything good about her since & ITS TIME TO WAKE UP! You’re JUST A HATER!! Period. :))))

Ethan

Posted at 11:25 AM on May 10, 2012

I bet you have tons of hate-mail for this article. Well deserved! Hope you get fired for this

Poetry

Posted at 10:56 AM on May 10, 2012

Hey very nice blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?I am glad to search out a lot of helpful information right here in the submit, we need develop more techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Schatz

Posted at 8:58 AM on May 10, 2012

This is not true journalism. Writer is OBVIOUSLY biased. Won’t go back to this crappy site again.

marion

Posted at 8:50 AM on May 10, 2012

Hollie has the whole package – she looks great, dresses decently and still looks beautiful and she has a pleasant voice to listen to. Its so smooth and listener friendly. Plus she usually picks songs that are known to the majority, unlike Phillip and Jessica. Phillip’s is too rasp, Joshua screams too much, and Jessica strains too much. So i dont agree with the judges comments and i hope Hollie will be in the final.

nina

Posted at 8:54 AM on May 10, 2012

Joshua screams too much? God, how anyone could justify HOLLIE of all people over someone as talented and sophisticated vocallyu like Joshua makes me laugh.

Richard

Posted at 6:41 AM on May 10, 2012

Wow, who gave you the credentials to judge? You are a lousy, trying hard, racist of a writer. You should be fired and it shows that you know nothing about judging or writing a column. Your opinions are trash and you should go back and study music before you actually critique singers…obviously, you only want contestants with the same skin color as yours. Go workout…you are probably ugly and fat insecure writer who hides behind his computer and tries to put down people to bring up your poor self esteem.

RACIST

Posted at 11:46 AM on May 10, 2012

HE’S A RACIST

snuffles

Posted at 5:50 AM on May 10, 2012

Why do I keep mistakenly clicking on the link for this crap site, when I search for AI reviews. Russ Weakland, is just that “WEAK”. Since day 1, The writer does nothing but bash contestants. The writer been heavily biased against many contestants, especially Jessica. I wonder if this writer could even sing. This is the worst review I ever read, hands down!

yelo

Posted at 5:06 AM on May 10, 2012

Phillip’s second performance is actually a real change for me. Finally he appeared to sing a song in a different way/style.

Hollie’s both performance is good and I think they just looked for someone to bash and told America which should be voted off, and obviously, they will choose Hollie – it’s their habit.

Joshua’s performance is okay but I can’t see any reason for standing ovation. They are always carried away with Joshua’s overacting emotions.

Jessica’s second song is outstanding. She is really an good singer. I don’t know the first song and it’s not so fitting for the night (the song, not Jessica’s singing).

I think the title of this post is not purely based on personal opinion but on the series of events happened this night like when the judges’ made comments ’bout Hollie’s second performance. It was obviously a comment telling America who they want to go home. But let’s make them realize who controls the results – it’s America. I hope Skylar’s fans vote Hollie this time (forget about Joshua, he has plenty already!). It’s either Joshua or Phillip should go.

yelo

Posted at 7:39 AM on May 10, 2012

Only now I was able to see the duets and quartet,

Phillip and Joshua’s Maroon 5 performance is really good. And I agree with you, Phillip is awesome with Maroon 5. This is duet is for Phillip.

Jessica and Hollie’s performance I think is also good. Jessica is good but I think Hollie’s voice quality was better.

The quartet, I did not notice Philip. Jessica has curly voice as always. Joshua is once again a little screaming and so he is dominant. I think Hollie got few lines but you will find her good in every throw.

ron

Posted at 5:05 AM on May 10, 2012

I dont like the writer of this site, so biased..

Jessica’s rendition of dream girls is by far the best of the season, and shes only 16, shes phenomenal, wait til she became 20+…

VERY DISSAPOINTED WITH THIS BLOGSITE..

lentootski

Posted at 2:55 AM on May 10, 2012

There’s no point in arguing with someone who desperately tries to appear intellectual by bashing and not giving due praise. Wasted my time in reading this post.

pnoy

Posted at 2:25 AM on May 10, 2012

the real success is after American Idol and not the one who wins, just be yourself and BASH JESSICA SANCHEZ am used to it that way! besides, we will vote for her to the end. right now, she has proved HERSELF a lot more.

for the win

Posted at 2:51 AM on May 10, 2012

I Agree

getitfromboy

Posted at 1:56 AM on May 10, 2012

Jessica Sanchez is 16 and a minority is pure talent. WTH were you doing at 16 then? With all the things that a minority is being subjected to everyday Jessica and Joshua deserves the Top 2!

for the win

Posted at 2:52 AM on May 10, 2012

You are right

Sharon

Posted at 1:48 AM on May 10, 2012

I don’t believe you

Flychick86

Posted at 1:46 AM on May 10, 2012

Harsh, HollywoodLife, harsh. I also thought about some of the comments about Jessica annoying. But, I guess I can see what ya’ll mean.

Ms.sing

Posted at 1:14 AM on May 10, 2012

F A V O R I T I S M!!!
that’s just according to you!!! and you’re just you!!!
My fault,,,why did I read this biased trash!!!

Kate

Posted at 12:28 AM on May 10, 2012

Are you kidding me? Jessica’s second performance was the best of the night!

Katie

Posted at 12:05 AM on May 10, 2012

Is it me or has the judging been all over the place this year? when I think someone sounds awful the judges give a standing o and vice-versa.

osr

Posted at 11:52 PM on May 9, 2012

Wow, author has soooooo much hate for Jessica! Not even a single nice thing to say, when it is so obvious that her performance was great!

helena

Posted at 2:33 AM on May 10, 2012

just be fair!!! give the praise to somebody who deserved it
Jessica’s great ….

KathyG

Posted at 11:20 PM on May 9, 2012

This is what i think will happen. its gonna be down to phillip, jessica, and joshua. The top two will be Jessica and Joshua and the winner is Jessica. I mean come on! Do you not see how talented she is? Even if josh wins or if jessica wins they will both go far! But i think jessica deserves to win

Motherlydia

Posted at 11:57 PM on May 9, 2012

I agree with you, I just don’t know why Russ can’t accept the good one. It’s so happen that she have a good voice, it don’t matter if she is 16 or whatever , this is a talent not at an age competition. With her age she can mimic , copy or imitate any one older, older or much older, she is really very good among those other female contestant. Sorry Russ and to those who is against because of her race, wake up and open your eyes and your ears..

jjspaz

Posted at 11:14 PM on May 9, 2012

Hollie should NOT go home! Jessica bugs the crap out of me because of her attitude even though I think in time she will grow to be a good singer. I hate how she growls ALL the time. Joshua is good, but needs to cut the screaming and screaching out. Hollie is fantastic and I think she has come a long way and should stay. I’m soooooo bored with phillip and agree with James…his faces scare the crap outa me too! Send phillip or jessica home!

Rhonda

Posted at 12:44 AM on May 10, 2012

I couldn’t agree more! Hollie is the best singer on the show! Always has been. Joshua just screams and that gets old. Phillip sings off melody except for his first song tonight. He doesn’t really act like he cares if he wins or not. And then Jessica is sooooo annoying! She is arrogant and only wants to sings the blues. That won’t fly with middle stream America. So therefore, absolutely HOLLIE CAVANAUGH SHOULD WIN! Not only that, she is humble and beautiful!!! GO HOLLIE!!!!

james

Posted at 10:50 PM on May 9, 2012

“It’s Hollie’s time to go?????????” What idiot wrote that at the top of the page? Hollie deserves to be top 2 for certain with Jessica and then she should win it. Phillip puts me to sleep and scares me with his faces. Joshua thinks singing is screaching and screaming….burst my eardrums why dont you. And then Jessica who can sing just as good as Hollie but it always forcing her vocals down our throat and never just relaxes into the song like Hollie can (except for her whitney houston and beyonce those were very good). Those damn judges playing favorites make people think Hollie should go home next BUT SHE SHOULD WIN!!!!!!

for the win

Posted at 2:56 AM on May 10, 2012

are you tone deaf??? do you hear what you are saying??? whose forcing her vocals??? i think its the other way around biatch.. well its hollies last week say bye bye to her

alex guzman

Posted at 3:11 AM on May 10, 2012

Phillip and Hollie did great but i find it mean and cruel to bash a 16 year old girl like Jessica who also deserves to win

anie

Posted at 10:52 AM on May 10, 2012

sometimes the truth is …. hard to accept
let’s face it only Jessica can sing very well… either blues or what….
what else can you say to this young girl
the voice is already with her… completely given by God