'16 And Pregnant' Recap: After 10 Hours of Labor, Hope Delivers Baby Through C-Section

Wed, May 9, 2012 12:15am EDT by 13 Comments

A former party girl grows up quickly after having sex for the first time. Read on about Hope’s pregnancy journey and about her very graphic C-Section!

After last week’s tearjerker we weren’t sure if we were ready for any more drama! The May 7 episode of ’16 and Pregnant’ featured Hope Harbert from Lee’s Summit, Missouri. Hope found out she was pregnant after she and her mohawked boyfriend Ben had sex and didn’t use a condom.

At first, Ben didn’t want to have anything to do with Hope or their baby. But after two months of feeling awful about herself, her weight gain, and the swelling around her feet that caused her to quit her job, the guy actually came around! Ben had “a change of heart” and decided that Hope and the baby should move into his apartment.

Hope then had the daunting task of telling her mom, Betsy, that she’s not only moving in with someone who lives an hour away, he has also left her before! She’s not too happy with Ben and her daughter’s decision, and he hadn’t improved his case later when he was a no-show to Hope’s doctors appointment!

Ben and Hope decide to talk about the future together in the next scene. Ben admits that he’s “always wanted to find someone to be with.” When Ben finally meets the family, they all seem to like him. Betsy stamped her approval when he said he was wiling to get up in the middle of the night and help with the baby.

Meanwhile, Hope’s friends are all going off to college and she feels jealous that she will miss out on that slice of freedom. When her due date approaches, Hope chooses to get induced because she feels uncomfortable. After 10 hours of excruciating labor, the worried doctor determines that Hope needs to have a C-Section in order to deliver her baby.

After a very graphic and bloody surgical scene, baby Tristan Blaise was born, weighing at a healthy 8 pounds and 5 ounces.

A month later, Hope finds herself a little lonely because all of her friends are in college. She has a job at a restaurant and works days while Ben works nights. They take turns watching Tristan while the other is at work.

Hope still wants to go to college and do more with her life. Ben and Hope’s relationship is looking strong and it really seems like Ben is a good dad!

Hope’s story ended on a positive note, unlike many of the other girls’ stories. Do YOU think the future is looking up for this new family?

– Lorraine Chow

More ’16 & Pregnant’ news:

1. ’16 & Pregnant’ Stars Mackenzie & Alexandria Join ‘Teen Mom 3′ Cast
  2. ’16 & Pregnant’ Recap: Myranda Struggles To Be A Mom And Have A Relationship With her Mother
  3. ’16 & Pregnant’ Recap: Tyler Bails On Jordan & Chase

Megan

Posted at 10:12 PM on November 5, 2012

I don’t know why anyone would WANT to be induced WILLINGLY Iwas beyond uncomfortable once I got to 30 weeks I couldn’t even get out of bed and I still didn’t ask to be induced but my Dr made me get induced and I was inhard labor for 23 hrs and wasn’t dilatingthen I had to have a c-section I’m sooooooo glad Ididn’t go to Lee’s Summit to have my daughter like Iplanned her dr is an idiot

kat

Posted at 5:13 PM on September 20, 2012

And 10 hrs is normal for labor, I have known women in labor for 72 hours

kat

Posted at 5:11 PM on September 20, 2012

there was no clinical need for a c-section! why did she have one? I have yet to see a home birth, and most of these girls are not even high risk, so why do all of them have their babies in hospital and lying on a bed. The female body is designed to have babies squatted with the aid of gravity, I am yet to see a birth like that (on 16 and pregnant), and lying on a bed is a doctors privilege not the woman’s. I am also yet to see a MIDWIFE led birth, mind you it is the USA and midwives who attend home births are still able to be prosecuted and put in prison in some states. And the women who want home births are still liable to be prosecuted for child endangerment WHEN THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG! (I know I have gone off on a little bit of a tangent, but this needed to be said) these girls are forced into having intervention after intervention, when there is no need for it! Katie Yeager is the only one who had a completely natural birth, and I hope more girls follow in her footsteps (though I hope they don’t get pregnant as young) but have a home birth. I hope women like Ina May Gaskin, Agnes Gereb (who is currently under house arrest for delivering babies at home) and Trisha Anderson have a lasting impact.
p.s. women in the EU can claim under the case of Ternovsky vs Hungary that they have a right to a home birth, women in the USA can claim under the declaration of human rights. and I know this is a long post

Nichole

Posted at 6:32 PM on June 6, 2012

Wow she had a c section that’s not fun I had a baby to and it’s hard to raise them

Alison

Posted at 12:56 PM on May 17, 2012

I was shocked that they gave her a C-section after just 10 hours of labor.

Nata

Posted at 9:11 PM on May 11, 2012

WHAT?!?!? She got pregnant by having sex without a condom. THAT’S how that happens? *Shock and awe*

Tabitha

Posted at 6:10 PM on May 9, 2012

I think these 2 set an example for sure. I mean ben wasn’t there at first but he did man-up. My sons father wasn’t around for 7 months of my pregnancy but he has been more of a man since than any other husband or father that I know.

However, Hope does need to chill with the poor pitiful me thing. I mean sure its sad when ur friends take off, but thats life- no matter what age you are when you have a
baby. So she needs to chill with that because she’s got a good man who just rolls with what she wants to ensure she is not unhappy. Yes get a job, yes go to school- but in the end those wont be the things that you remember or even care about later. Go to a community or technical college get an education and continue to be a good (wife) and mother. In the long run these will be the things you are proud of and most happy for.

Good luck to these 3! This was an episode worth smiling about. Go easy on Ben because he is an adorable keeper!

alana

Posted at 5:41 PM on May 9, 2012

Did htey really have to show them cutting her and stuff, there is a tarp there for a reason, ewww, lol. I didn’t want to see it when I had mine I don’t want to see it when she has hers. I hope she had a fast recovery, it’s hard recovering from a c.

Uma

Posted at 3:37 PM on May 9, 2012

I hope she had a c section recovery kit, or a binder for after surgery- its a hard recovery!

calimom

Posted at 2:12 PM on May 9, 2012

I was 16 and pregnant …swear I should of produced this show…had my oldest at 17 and my youngest at 20…both of mine were 5hours so,10hr labor I don’t think is normal… these girls in there first season are nieve. About a lot, its not easy that’s for sure! But this show puts them in a “hollywood light” with past seasons & follow ups,its very sad that these young women use there show monies for boob jobs & self image fixes! Surgically instead of bettering the welfare of the kids…wish thee best to the babies! I’ve been there & know what there going threw… I’m very successful in life, my kids are 15&12 they have a lot to look forward to …. this isn’t a game of life! To bad more parents don’t have that open dialog with there teen girls! My mom didn’t, but thats sumthing I’ve changed with my kids! There aware. My oldest has a full college ride since 7th grade…so proud shell graduate at 17 aswell… wishing these mtv teen moms the best,I’ve been single. Its tuff but only makes you stronger! The baby daddys are usually just that in thee future! Rarely do the boys settle & stay! Good luck… just words of wisdom there is hope… u deffinatly don’t wish this for your children! I did plan both mine. We lived on our own, never lived off county aid! Good luck to all the teen moms! Wishing y’all the best….

Courtney

Posted at 9:26 AM on May 9, 2012

10 hours is pretty average for a first labor

shaiksayyadbajee

Posted at 5:53 AM on May 9, 2012

she is very beautiful girls her is

Janet

Posted at 12:45 AM on May 9, 2012

I think Ben and Hope will beat all the odds shes a strong girl and Ben has really stepped up to be a great dad.and partner for Hope they are the cuttest couple I wish them many years to come a great education and a happy family together