'The Voice' Finale: Christina Aguilera & Adam Levine Fight Over '99 Problems'

Tue, May 8, 2012 2:05am EDT by 87 Comments
Christina Aguilera Adam Levine Fight

Christina Aguilera was reportedly furious Adam Levine had Tony Lucca sing ’99 Problems’ because she thought he was referring to her as the girl who was the problem — and subsequently tensions ran HIGH on ‘The Voice’ finale May 7!

It’s a good thing this season of The Voice is almost over, because Christina Aguilera and Adam Levine were about to wring each other’s throats during the finale performances May 7.

During rehearsals for the show, Christina reportedly was upset Adam had Tony Lucca sing “99 Problems” because she thought the lyrics “99 problems, but a b**ch ain’t one” were in reference to her. She flipped out and then Adam reportedly called her the c-word. The fight was so nasty, producers supposedly weren’t sure how the show would go on…

…But it did, and we watched it play out live. After Tony’s flawless performance, Christina simply said, “I thought you sounded great.”

Tony Lucca and Christina Aguilera Butt Heads — Why Does Christina Hate Tony?

Adam turned to Christina and said, “We’re not referring to ‘girl’ problems. It’s a metaphor.” The cocky judge then took off his coat to reveal a “Team XTina” shirt, which was meant to make amends.

However, it didn’t appear Christina accepted Adam’s apology, because when he sang his duet with Tony later in the show, she was nowhere to be seen. Clearly, she was taking a stand against Adam and his contestant.

The best moment was when Ceelo Green revealed his shirt, which said “No problems”! He joked that he had “no drama” with his contestant, Juliet Simms.

In the battle of Christina versus Adam, on whose side are YOU?

Loading video...

More Voice News:

1. Cee Lo Green, You’re So Brave For Admitting You Farted On ‘The Voice’
  2. Christina Aguilera Gives Justin Bieber Evil Eye On ‘The Voice’
  3. Justin Bieber Debuts ‘Boyfriend’ Music Video Clip On ‘The Voice’

Disappointed

Posted at 12:53 AM on May 9, 2012

I Like Adam but was very disappointed that he helped keep Tony over Katrina simply because he’s having a bromance (which he admitted) This is THE VOICE not “pick my buddy”. Christina was right about Tony, he is NOT a great singer, Katrina was far better and so are the others (YOU’LL SEE, HE WILL NOT WIN! And Shame on Adam for not picking the better singer!

Bonita

Posted at 11:56 PM on May 8, 2012

I think Christina hurt the ratings of The Voice. She was arrogant and extremely rude thru out the show. She canned her number one person and then went after Lucca…….. I used to think she was an amazing talent….but no more. Anyone who’s that arrogant doesn’t need a fan base…..the show really should consider getting rid of her!!!

Dee Dee

Posted at 11:38 PM on May 8, 2012

Christina has put herself on a pedastal thinking she is the queen of music and better than the others. I find her extremely obnoxious, snobby and really high on herself. She is not a good fit for this show. She hasn’t had a hit in how long….her time is up and please make her dress appropriate for this show. She could hardly walk in the clothing and shoes she wore….trying to stay in the limelight………don’t like her.

mary

Posted at 11:36 PM on May 8, 2012

Christina is the only true voice on the show. She gets upset because not so great singers like tony get far in the competition. Tony’s voice does not compare to Chris, juliette, or jermaines. He’ s not fit to lick their boots. It can get frustrating to see someone may win because of their celebrity connections, instead of true talent. Tony should have been eliminated along time ago. Christina is a professional who is doing her job as a judge in providing true criticisms. The other judges don’t have the guts to do it and that makes her look bad. I’m sure she’s not losing any sleep because losers like you are criticizing her every move. You must love her to dedicate time out of your “great” lives to comment negative things about her. It’s hatred like you that keep people succeeding. Hate on losers!!!

Linda

Posted at 11:28 PM on May 8, 2012

I think Christina should dress more appropriately. She appeared to be wearing a diaper tonight. She does not have the body to be dressing as she does on this show. This show is about the contestants and it appears Christina is dying for the attention. She is making herself look cheap and desperate! Grow up Christina or get off the show.

stephanie

Posted at 9:53 PM on May 8, 2012

Even tonight…look closely…99% of her comments even about her frllow coaches, are sarcastic. Seeing her true colors.

stephanie

Posted at 9:49 PM on May 8, 2012

Oh…no…look out America…there is gonna be hell to pay…Tony, sang back up, for the hall & oats song. Singing…B#@CH & girl…together….bet Adam & Tony had something to do with that…and ots aimed tward Christina…..lmao

bckybracewell

Posted at 9:13 PM on May 8, 2012

I think Christina has been biased against Tony all season and way out of line with her remarks. She seemed petty. I don’t like her on the show. I’ve always thought of her as a Gwen Stefani want a be. She tried to look like her but never quite made it. I love The Voice just don’t like Christina on it.

Amy Widener

Posted at 8:50 PM on May 8, 2012

I feel like she does not need to be on the show and that the producers of this show at nbc should replace her after this. This was so unprofessional and she has had a personal vendetta against him the whole time. The way she acted just made me want to vote for him because I thought it was totally unfair. In fact I hope that because of this and the way she has try to taint the vote that NBC will do the right thing and replace her

stephanie

Posted at 7:43 PM on May 8, 2012

I am sorry to say, that I truely believe, that Christina Aguilera acted immaturely. Why was she so insecure, to believe that the song had anything to do with her. PLEASE the world does mot revolve around anyone of us. I fell the whole fight was unprofessional and uncalled for. But even before this incident, I felt that she had attitide on the show. She was cocky several times and very vocal, and not in a positive way. Maybe it is because SHE needs to be the center of attention. I am a very laid back easy going person, who likes everyone, as long as they are a decent human being. However, I do have to say. She gets under my skin, with what I have seen, thus far. But I dont know her so, who knows maybe she ia a good person. Still, this fight was ridiculous.

Dy

Posted at 6:27 PM on May 8, 2012

LUCKYSTAR! shut the hell up you made me waste a good minute reading your paragraph of nonsense

stephanie

Posted at 8:10 PM on May 8, 2012

AMEN…DY

erica

Posted at 4:13 PM on May 8, 2012

she is so stupid just because its a song about that does not mean its about her </3

Johnstone McBoner

Posted at 3:31 PM on May 8, 2012

Hey Ploy, you’re a C-word!

Mary

Posted at 3:28 PM on May 8, 2012

Christina Aguilera has been way out of control this whole season. I respect her right to voice her opinion and give constructive criticism, but I don’t like her approach, especially when it comes to Tony and I don’t like her attacks on Adam (she is abusing her power). She takes such low blows, instead of just talking about Tony’s talent or Adam’s strategies she finds ways to make it extremely personal by attacking their character and who they are as people and bringing family into it, it’s almost like she wants to break them down, and that’s totally uncalled for, especially on a show like this. She comes off as an abusive bully, and it’s very uncomfortable to watch. I’m not a Christina hater, I actually am a fan of her music and think she’s extremely talented and I like that she’s a strong woman but I don’t like how she comes off (she perpetuates a negative view of strong women). At times Christina actually reminds me of the wife Kate from the reality show Jon and Kate plus 8. This show has really changed my view of her.

I also didn’t take any of the comments she made about the lyrics of the song “99 Problems” being derogatory seriously. She was saying those things to take a shot at Adam and Tony and to benefit herself. If she was a true advocate for women’s rights and the way women were being perceived she would be out there on the front lines fighting for women’s rights, and to my knowledge she isn’t. Or to a lesser degree she would change her whole image and stop shaking her butt half naked on stage to sell albums, what kind of a message does that send to other women and young girls in particular and society as a whole. And if she had a true problem with lyrical content pertaining to women then she would be trying to bring down whole sections of the music industry that have songs that constantly objectify women, that would include her music as well. If she’s going to make strong statements about something being derogatory towards women and taking a strong stance on the issues, she needs to back it up with action and not just make comments because they benefit her in the moment. That’s a slap in the face to all feminist and women’s rights activists out there.

It may seem that I am overly critical of Christina, but I just have high expectations for her. She is a talented, smart, and strong woman that is well placed to help improve the image of women in this country and across the world. I just think she can do better because now she just reinforces negative stereotypes, which makes things harder for strong and independent women out there.

luckystar

Posted at 6:11 PM on May 8, 2012

This is a competition show and the judges are there to coach their team members and basically judge the contestants. I respect Christina voicing her opinions. Out of all the judges, she is only judge who actually judge and provide contructive criticism while the others just sugar coat their critiques. For real artists who are serious about their careers, should listen to Christina. She knows what she’s talking about when it comes to singing. I have nothing against Tony Lucca but if you actually watch his performance, there was really nothing special, no WOW factor, and it seems that all but a few of the songs he sang was mainly for publicity. It was a personal attack on Christina. Singing a Britney song? “How do you like me now?” and then “99 Problems”? I agree with Christina, as far as Tony’s voice, he’s good but bad song choice. The show is called “The Voice” for a reason. Tony is good but nothing special about his voice, very generic. I’m glad Christina isn’t kissing Tony’s behind just because he was a former Mickey Mouse and supporting him because of that. She said from the beginning and a wise advice for Tony was to use his real talent and not allow his celebrity status and celebrity friends sway people’s vote. This is a competition not a popularity contest. The songs Tony chose to sing (granted if Adam had something to do with it) just shows that Tony is not a true artist. He is a dog following his master. Weak. If anyone is a B**** that is TONY LUCCA.

stephanie

Posted at 7:52 PM on May 8, 2012

You said it perfectly…I strongly agree. Thumbs up!!! To bad she wont see this. Maybe dhe would take a step back and look twice at how she comes across, to the public. If that even matters to her.

stephanie

Posted at 8:12 PM on May 8, 2012

My reply to your comment…fell under luckystar, somehow.

Jeskickin

Posted at 3:17 PM on May 8, 2012

Christina is a hypocrite. Read the lyrics to Dirty, and look at the way she dresses at times. Shame on you Christina… I would like to see her expelled fom The Voice personally. She is condescending, whiny, and self absorbed. DIVA

stephanie

Posted at 8:08 PM on May 8, 2012

MY POST WAS FOR MARY…NOT QUITE SURE HOW IT FELL UNDER YOUR POST…LUCKYSTAR. Because………
In your post, I feel you are missing the main point. The way Christina acted, over a song, or songs. Since u mentioned the britney song also. THE WHOLE SITUATION WAS UNNECESSARY, IMMATURE AND UNPROFESSIONAL. Should have never taken place.

stephanie

Posted at 8:15 PM on May 8, 2012

Totally agree, jeskickin

Kristie

Posted at 1:06 PM on May 8, 2012

I Thought CHRISTINA acted very unprofessionally all through THE VOICE series, last night was just the last straw. I think Christina should not be a judge on The Voice anymore. She exposes herself all the time noone wants to see her boobs hanging out that is wrong.I Hope Blake Shelton replaces Christina she is not in any way beneficial to the show at all anymore.Kelly Clarkson would be a very good choice for a replacement.

stephanie

Posted at 8:25 PM on May 8, 2012

KRISTIE, I agree, she is not the best choice for the show. They should find a good soul, not someone like Christina. Blake and ceilo..(sorry if I spelled that incorrectly) come across as truely kind and humble, human beings. Not 100% on adam, still feeling him out. However Christina…REALLY SHOULD BE LET GO !!!!!

DL

Posted at 12:55 PM on May 8, 2012

Christina sits there and says the song is degrading towards women, yet she walks out on stage dressed the way she does, that should speak for itself. And to mention his child in the audience was just plain rude, she has a child, if the tables were turned she would be just as upset, low blow ……

Maria

Posted at 9:39 AM on May 9, 2012

What does her dressing style have to do with her right to speak against misogynist lyrics? So in other words, if she doesn’t have the right kind of clothes in YOUR opinion, she doesn’t deserve to have an opinion and speak against something that she believes is very disrespectful?

audria

Posted at 12:01 PM on May 8, 2012

Christina is a pompous,self-centered, egomaniac who takes every opportunity, no matter what the circumstance,to talk about herself. She is just nasty and mean and dresses like a streetwalker. I would like the show better without her.
She is NOT a nice person.

Dy

Posted at 11:31 AM on May 8, 2012

But I do have to say that girl is a awesome singer but just please cover up

Dy

Posted at 11:27 AM on May 8, 2012

Christina is so immature she wants to talk about Tony and Adams song being degrading if anything is degrading it’s her walking out in those awful outfit

Ploy

Posted at 11:05 AM on May 8, 2012

The Christina haters are being pathetic and immature. First of all, Christina Aguilera was not nasty to Tony Lucca. She has given him praise many times. But the one time she gave him any criticism, people were outraged and started saying hateful things about her. Her words that night were: “Overall it was a good performance, but I thought it was a little one-dimensional.”

As a JUDGE, it is Christina Aguilera’s JOB to CRITIQUE the contestants. She is supposed to say what she does like about the performances and what she doesn’t like about the performances. The fact that she gave him criticism doesn’t mean she’s a ‘rude bi*ch’ or that she has a vendetta against him. She was just giving her honest opinion. She wasn’t nasty about it. The uptight pansies of America just took it the wrong way.

She has complimented him many times. The only other time she said anything negative about him was when she said she didn’t want The Voice to become ‘a celebrity sway’, meaning she didn’t want him or anyone else to win just because of their past celebrity status. And she’s right: The Voice should be about talent. The truth of the matter is that Tony Lucca has the least unique voice out of the remaining four contestants, and Jermain and Chris ARE more talented than him. Juliet isn’t more talented than Tony, but her voice is more unique than his. That’s the truth. If Christina was really the bi*ch you guys say she is, she would have said it exactly the way I just said it.

And like it or not, she had a valid point about the lyrics of the song. (I don’t know if Adam really called Christina the c-word, and I’m hoping he didn’t, because I REALLY LIKE Adam Levine and if he did say that, it would make me respect him a little less. I hate the use of the c-word, and it is disrespectful to women.) Tony Lucca’s wife and CHILD were in the audience. Would you want your 7-year-old to go around talking like that?

Jen

Posted at 12:51 PM on May 8, 2012

You are in lala land. Christina is clearly out to get Tony, and I am not a hater. I’Ve never thought anything of her really, but she is making me hate this show. And by the way, how she dresses, especially being a mother, is more derogatory toward women than anything else I have seen on the show. I am done with her!

Jenna

Posted at 1:55 PM on May 8, 2012

I’m not a Christina hater either, but I felt she went way out of bounds. Bringing up his family as part of her criticism is a low blow, especially when his child is there. I don’t know why she hates him so much, but I feel it’s been there all season and it’s just a shame she couldn’t park her feelings for the finale. Low brow.

stephanie

Posted at 8:36 PM on May 8, 2012

OH PLEASE… PLOY……AS STATED, SEVERAL TIMES..IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A HATER…SHE IS A GOOD ARTIST…AND WOULD BE A GREAT ARTIST, IN MY BOOK. IF SHE CONDUCTED HERSELF DIFFERENTLY…..SHE DEFINITLY COULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE MORE CONSERVATIVE, IN THE CLEAVAGE DEPT…..THIS ISNT MTV…..AND HER ATTITUDE, DURING THIS SHOW, WAS FELT THROUGH THE SCREEN…ALL THE WAY TO MANY LIVING RMS.

PEOPLE HERE ARE SO DUMB

Posted at 11:01 AM on May 8, 2012

Adam is so immature

Tracie

Posted at 11:00 AM on May 8, 2012

I find it very amusing that Christina wants to talk about how Tony’s song choice and “the lyrical connotation was a little derogatory towards women”. I’m sorry, is she not the same person that a couple of years ago was parading around in ASSLESS CHAPS singing about being “dirrty”? If you really want to get technical about it a lot of women could say the same about “X-Tina” being derogatory towards women. I guess she chooses to forget about that time in her life since she can’t fit in her chaps anymore.

suzieq

Posted at 11:57 AM on May 8, 2012

lol! that is the truth!!!!

Cathy

Posted at 10:57 AM on May 8, 2012

You are aren’t seeing the big picture here. I thought Christina was being horrible to Tony at first but then I realized that Justin Timberlake has been tweeting almost since the show started to vote for Tony. This is exactly what Adam did last year with getting Justin Beiber to tell people to vote for Javier Colon who ended up winning instead of Dia Frampton who many people felt would have won if Beiber hadn’t gotten involved. That’s why Christina keeps mentioning celebrity sway, etc. The show shouldn’t be about who has the biggest celeb backing you and telling people to vote for you-so shame on Adam and Justin Timberlake who should know not to use his influence like this. I’ve never seen this happen on any other competitive show and its now two years that Adam has done this. I won’t watch the show if Tony wins because to me its cheating.

romanpasay

Posted at 11:07 AM on May 8, 2012

Christina is absolutely right to go mad. Adam should not be a judge/coach anymore next time around.

k

Posted at 11:12 AM on May 8, 2012

i don’t think adam told justin timberlake to tweet those things he is doing it because they were in the mickey mouse club together and bieber voted for the guy last year because he wanted him to win simple as that i don’t think adam has any control on what these people are tweeting plus it doesn’t matter who wins this think who is more well know from season 1 javier colon or dia frampton i think dia is personally it doesn’t matter who wins the real contest is who makes it after the show is over

Jen

Posted at 12:54 PM on May 8, 2012

What about Alicia Keyes endorsing Jermain. A lot of these guys have celebrity endorsements. Not a big deal. Christina is out of control.

Angel

Posted at 1:54 PM on May 8, 2012

Exactly! If Christina really had a problem with the celebrity endorsements in general, she would have made that clear to every contestant that had a celeb show them support. But she didn’t. She never mentioned how Jermaine received support from Alicia Keys, how even filmed a video shown on The Voice showing her support. If she wanted to voice her stand against “celebrity sway” it should have been done across the board, not just directed at Tony. It’s singling Tony out there and every other dig she’s made that makes it clear that she has something against him.

karla

Posted at 10:50 AM on May 8, 2012

You do know that some of this is for ratings otherwise why would we tune in. It would get boring.