NFL Star Michael Strahan Top Contender To Be Kelly Ripa's Co-Host

Mon, May 7, 2012 10:26am EST by 43 Comments
Courtesy of Kelly Ripa

HollywoodLife.com can tell you that the former New York Giants star is the front-runner to sit alongside Kelly as her ‘Live with Kelly!’ co-host — do you think he’s a good choice?

Kelly Ripa is getting closer to inking a deal with a morning co-host. HollywoodLife.com has spoken to a source close to the production of Live with Kelly! who reveals that former NFL star Michael Strahan is at the top of Kelly’s list! So it’s not surprising that he co-hosted for his ninth time on May 7!

“All bets are on Michael Strahan,” the source says. “He’s funny, does well on camera and gets along really fabulously with Kelly. Michael is the top name that is seriously being thrown around right now.”

The source went on to tell us that singer Josh Groban has said that he “really wants the gig.” Although Kelly really loves having Josh on, execs on the show just aren’t sure if he’s the best bet.

As for Kelly’s hubby Mark Consuelos hosting?

“No one wants to see such a perfect couple every morning,” the source says. “They’re disgustingly perfect. Great together but it’s not the direction the show wants to head.”

Meanwhile, the source goes on to say that NY 1 news anchor Pat Kiernan fell “flat” when he hosted and Anderson Cooper‘s new daytime talk show has him out of the running.

— Chloe Melas

Elaine Guthrie

Posted at 12:04 PM on June 18, 2012

Have always loved & respected Kelly … I wish she would consider Mario Cantone as a co-host …. They would b awesome 2gether … Regis was smart & funny … Mario would help build a new audience … Thanks 4 the moment 2 speak …

Thanks ….

Elaine

Lora

Posted at 9:10 AM on June 18, 2012

Please Please Please choose Michael Strahan! I’m so worried now that Bryant Gumble has been on recently that he may be a contende. He is the worst! I don’t like Josh Groban , Nick Lachey or Jerry O’Connell either. It is too forced with them. Mickael is the best.

Darlene Stein

Posted at 11:47 AM on June 14, 2012

I vote for Howie Mandel for co-host. He is so witty and seems to really enjoy working with Kelly, as she does with him. Bring on Howie!

Lisa

Posted at 9:04 AM on June 12, 2012

Micheal S. would be GREAT!!!! Please not her husbnad… He is boring and doen”t bring out the best in Kelly. She is not as fun when he is around. Ilike Jerry O”connel too… but it seems like he trys too hard.

Chrisine

Posted at 10:49 AM on June 11, 2012

Josh Grobin!!!!

April

Posted at 3:09 AM on June 6, 2012

No Michael…too boring. I like Marty Short best and then Neil Patrick Harris. Seth is good too.

Ann Husman

Posted at 6:15 PM on June 5, 2012

I like 1) Nick Lachey and 2) Seth Meyers. Nick will do any foolish thing they ask of him, he is a gentlemen, can sing (like Regis), seems to be update on issues, and Kelly and Nick’s personalities go well together.

If Nick isn’t picked please, please pick Seth Meyers, the two guys are similar in personalities. BUT PLEASE PICK SOON, the waiting has gone on too long.

Sincerely,
Ann

Bailey

Posted at 10:05 AM on June 5, 2012

Kelly needs someone who can balance her out – she’s a LOT to handle (and personally, I don’t mean that in a good way). She’s a lot of ego, with not much to fall back on.

The one thing she is, is quick-witted. She needs a co-host that can challenge her comically, yet get equal amount of the attention. Right now, Kelly hogs the interviews, and quite frankly hogs the discussions between her and the co-host. So, I think the best co-host is one that can tame her down, and take their part on the show.

My absolute favore was Mike Greenberg. He is strong, very intellegent, quick-witted, and reallllllllly balanced her out nicely. It was the first time in AGES that I’ve actually been able to tolerate Kelly. Mike Greenberg is a SOLID pick!!!

If not, then go with someone who has that same ability: Seth Meyers, Chris Harrison, Josh Groban, Martin Short…

Michael Strahan is OKAY. BUT, he doesn’t have the maturity behind the camera that others have had. I think him getting the gig would dumb down the show quite a bit, and that’s not ideal for a morning talk show.

Keep it smart, keep it clever, keep it EQUAL….that’s the goal in co-hosting as far as I’m concerned. Michael Greenberg is the front runner if you ask me.

But then again, Kelly is the one making the decision, so I can’t expect too much….

Lou

Posted at 10:39 PM on May 27, 2012

Meant John stamos

Lou

Posted at 10:38 PM on May 27, 2012

John stamps should be Klly’s co-host

Alberto Pizano

Posted at 1:20 PM on May 22, 2012

If it weren’t for Mark Consuelos there would never be a Latino on the Live with Kelly show!!!!!!

Carolyn

Posted at 5:45 PM on May 17, 2012

I have watched all of Kelly’s co-host…and Michael Strahan,stands out the most…he just fits…good choice

Meris K Brookland

Posted at 9:46 AM on May 16, 2012

Michael Strahan would be an excellent choice… he has a terrific sense of humor, he and Kelly seem to have great chemistry. He’s is the ONLY choice.

Debra

Posted at 11:38 PM on May 15, 2012

I think Pat Kiernan wouldn’t be bad if he loosened up a little. He’s the only one so far that seems halfway intelligent.

Frank

Posted at 8:33 AM on May 15, 2012

Michael is a terrible choice. Very annoying. Sam Champion. Yes. Better just rotating co-hosts.

Debra

Posted at 10:03 PM on May 12, 2012

I think they need to bring Regis back.

Sarah

Posted at 10:23 AM on May 11, 2012

Do not hire Nick Lachey. He is a washed up wannabe. I will no longer watch if he is on. They seem stupid together.

Lora

Posted at 9:54 AM on May 11, 2012

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not pick Josh Groban or Jerry O’Connell! I love Michael Strahan the best and I can’t believe I’m saying that as an avid New England Patriot’s fan! I also like Dan Abrams even though I don’t like him on GMA he is great with Kelly too. My favorite is Michael.

Carol Colitti Levine

Posted at 2:23 PM on May 10, 2012

Love Strahan. He is the best, makes me smile whenever he is on.

Julia

Posted at 9:59 AM on May 10, 2012

Please do NOT hire Michael, he has no talent or charisma. I have watched Kelly for many years, and Regis for even more; but I will top if you hire Michael.
I liked Josh Groban and Pat Kiernan better.
Please choose wisely.
Julia

Julie Learmonth

Posted at 9:48 AM on May 10, 2012

I do NOT like Michael as a cohost. I really enjoyed Pat Kiernan the best; or even Josh Groban or Nick Lechay.
I have watched Regis and Kelly for many years, but will probably stop if you hire Michael Strahan. He has no talent or charisma.

Please make a wise choice.
Julie

Robert & Kaathryn

Posted at 10:53 AM on May 9, 2012

Please keep Michael with Kelly. They are the best. We have been married for 48 years. We have seen this show for a long time.
Bob & Kathy

Robert

Posted at 10:46 AM on May 9, 2012

Please keep Michael Strahan as co host. They work better togather than any one that has been on their. They are funny and good togather.
Robert & Katheryn
PS
We have seen this show for a long time. I’m 70 & my wife is 65. We have been married for 48 years.

steve

Posted at 12:40 PM on May 8, 2012

Its certainly been good for Michael to co host. So much of the man I wasn’t aware of: Completely engaging,, very funny,, great listener, polished yet down to earth and makes you feel that everything and everyone is important….would be a great choice…
I also liked the guy that has the Soup show on tv and the guy on Saturday Nite Live….

Sascha Wertly

Posted at 12:26 PM on May 8, 2012

He’s Okay But Not To Watch Continously, He Can’t Really Pronounce Anything… But Good Luck To Him…

Nancy

Posted at 9:24 PM on June 2, 2012

I think Michael Strahan is great. I also love Josh Groban and Seth Meyers. Threse three are my choices.