NFL Star Michael Strahan Top Contender To Be Kelly Ripa's Co-Host

Mon, May 7, 2012 10:26am EDT by 43 Comments
Courtesy of Kelly Ripa

HollywoodLife.com can tell you that the former New York Giants star is the front-runner to sit alongside Kelly as her ‘Live with Kelly!’ co-host — do you think he’s a good choice?

Kelly Ripa is getting closer to inking a deal with a morning co-host. HollywoodLife.com has spoken to a source close to the production of Live with Kelly! who reveals that former NFL star Michael Strahan is at the top of Kelly’s list! So it’s not surprising that he co-hosted for his ninth time on May 7!

“All bets are on Michael Strahan,” the source says. “He’s funny, does well on camera and gets along really fabulously with Kelly. Michael is the top name that is seriously being thrown around right now.”

The source went on to tell us that singer Josh Groban has said that he “really wants the gig.” Although Kelly really loves having Josh on, execs on the show just aren’t sure if he’s the best bet.

As for Kelly’s hubby Mark Consuelos hosting?

“No one wants to see such a perfect couple every morning,” the source says. “They’re disgustingly perfect. Great together but it’s not the direction the show wants to head.”

Meanwhile, the source goes on to say that NY 1 news anchor Pat Kiernan fell “flat” when he hosted and Anderson Cooper‘s new daytime talk show has him out of the running.

— Chloe Melas

Carol Nicholas

Posted at 2:20 AM on May 20, 2013

Just love Michael as Kelly’s Host!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercedes

Posted at 7:02 PM on August 20, 2012

Mario Cantone to be Kelly’s new co-host

JR2012

Posted at 2:12 PM on August 20, 2012

I LOVE Michael Strahan, but I also love Josh Groben. Although, I don’t see how Josh could find the time to host a daily show. They both have great chemistry with Kelly. I really hope it’s one of those 2.

Marie

Posted at 9:48 AM on August 8, 2012

OMG! What about Seth Meyer? Funny, smart and great chemistry. His experience of working at SNL couldn’t hurt. He has worked with a cross section of celebrities and has great stories.
I also loved the show with Jimmy Kimmel! I am sure it is highly unlikely he would be her co-host

angie c.

Posted at 9:59 AM on July 6, 2012

I love Mark Feuerstien and Neil Patrick Harris. I think they would would be great. They both seem to fit Kelly’s personality which you would want. They add to the conversation and the show seems to flow so easliy. Please not Micheal Strahan!!!!!!!!!

Debie Cook

Posted at 9:49 AM on July 6, 2012

I did not like Michael Strahan on the show. I didn ‘t care for his personality. I loved Mark Feuerstein. He was hyper, like Kelly, but his personality was so out going, funny, happy, and complimented Kelly. I think he would add to the show. I even liked Bryant Gumbel.

Slow Motion

Posted at 12:47 PM on July 2, 2012

I watch every now and then, and I can tell you, I see only 1 person beating him for this position and that is Neil Patrick Harris. Both are really good co-hosts.

Jacquelyn

Posted at 12:26 PM on July 2, 2012

I love Michael Strahan as Kelly’s co-host. He should be on all the time. He’s cheerful, funny, polite, handsome, has a different point of view. Very pleasant. A good balance for them both.

l. Akins

Posted at 11:05 AM on July 2, 2012

I like Niel Patrick Harris the best. He is cute, witty, and has something else to talk about other than his family and kids and Kelly’s family and kids. He can sing, dance, juggle and do magic tricks if the show drags. Of course, Harris would be crazy to take the gig.

The thing about Regis was that he knew a lot of people–sports figures. pop culture and famous people– he could talk about. He had a lot of stories about the “old days” that featured “old stars” and about how some of the new stars came up in the business. He also had a persona with catch phrases and mannerisms. He would do crazy things even when he was older. He and Kelly balanced.

It is going to be hard to find someone who can grow into the role and be equal with Kelly. I like Kelly, but there can be too much or her just like there could be too much of Regis.

I’m not that fond of Michael Strahan. I think I will get tired of him quickly. I did like Josh Groban, but I have only seen him twice.

Joy Stone

Posted at 9:24 AM on July 2, 2012

NO NO NO, not Michael Strahan.
YES YES YES, Josh Groban,
or just keep mixing it up by continually bringing in new people for a week at a time.
They’re just trying to set up the “undercurrent” for a black man, blonde woman suggestion, and tabloid fodder.

Beverley Fisher

Posted at 3:43 PM on June 29, 2012

Love Michael on the show. If only Kelly could shut her mouth once in a while to allow her co-hosts to talk no matter who they are. She is going to lower the ratings on the show if she doesn’t shut-up once in a while. Love Michael. Good Choice. Find Kelly boring.

Rosemary

Posted at 3:52 PM on July 9, 2012

This is IMO, the major problem between Seth and Kelly, they are trying so hard to one up the other. Vote Michael all the way…cool, calm, collected and funny.

Jenny

Posted at 9:37 AM on June 29, 2012

I think Michael and Kelly are so good together. I’m getting tired of all the boring co hosts. Some who were good wouldn’t take the job. Kelly has to work way too hard with some of the co hosts and tends to just chatter on and on about nothing to just keep the conversation going. How many times can she tell us her son doesn’t like to be mentioned? Boring…

Michael PLEASE!.

MrsL5150

Posted at 12:29 PM on June 28, 2012

MICHAEL STRAHAN PLEASE!!! Their chemistry is insatiable! He’s a manly man that men can identify with, women find absolutely loveable, he brings in the sports aspect Regis shared, & he’s funny, real, & extremely entertaining! Added plus we’ll still get to enjoy him during football season! Its a win win!

Kris Linder

Posted at 1:01 PM on June 22, 2012

I really enjoy the variety of co-hosts. I would like to see it continue. The show goes in a different direction daily with different co-hosts.

Marylou Crego

Posted at 9:19 AM on June 22, 2012

I think Michael Strahan makes a wonderful co-host and you both work together well I think there should be no other consideraions . He has a great friendly personality and we just love him

MrsL5150

Posted at 12:33 PM on June 28, 2012

100% agree! He’s the perfect fit!