'Vogue' Bans Super Skinny & Underage Models From Its Magazine

Fri, May 4, 2012 11:57am EST by 12 Comments
Vogue Anorexic Models

In an effort to promote a healthier image, the fashion mag has vowed to stop using too-skinny and underage models in its pages — and we think it’s fantastic that the high-fashion publication is paving the way and promoting a healthy image!

19 Vogue editors from around the world have made up their minds: Skinny is out and healthy is in! In a new project to promote a healthier and more realistic body image, the fashion mag has decided to ban super-skinny models with eating disorders and those under the age of 16 from its future issues —  we hope that this healthy approach continues to spread throughout the fashion industry!

The pledge, known as The Health Initiative, not only means that the magazine will stop hiring underweight and underage models, but they promise to stick to their commitment by having casting directors ID every model and also check for any signs of an eating disorder.

Young girls face many pressures in the modeling industry — and we’re so happy that the mag is going to look out for their well-being! Not only are we happy for the girls involved, but the message it will send to the masses will do wonders while promoting a healthy image.

After seeing stick-thin models appearing in magazines for years, we’re so glad that Vogue is encouraging women with a new healthier image! Do you agree?

– Jennifer Velez

Nicole Spargo

Posted at 4:34 AM on May 28, 2012

I’m all for your new project to promote a healthier and more realistic body image, although i think that this wont work, in past magazine articles and model catwalks you have pushed a limit where girls felt like they had to be a certain weight or they were not good enough and skinny enough and then it turns into an eating disorder, and now you are just coming out with this thing to promote healthy models, when people were extremely determined to do what they could to fit into the category use have and now it’s like there still not good enough because your now looking for a healthy body image, i’m all for the project use are starting and i think it will give a new outlook to everybody about being healthy without doing it in an inappropriate manner, i just don’t know how girls will cope with this, Because you have set the standard on how you wanted girls to be like if they wanted to model and now they might feel like they can’t do that because there weight issue may have have turned into a eating disorder.

Victoria

Posted at 2:33 PM on May 6, 2012

It’s pretty sad that you need magazines to help you feel “so much better” about yourselves. I COMPLETELY agree with Paul. If you can’t deal with the models and how they look, then get over it. They’re beautiful, and it’s not like they chose to look the way that they do. Most of them are just naturally skinny, and the ones with eating disorders, that’s their own problem. It’s the entertainment and media world AND their own fault they chose to do that to themselves. Let people do wtf they want and stop trying to control everyone and everything that goes on around you just because you don’t like it. The truth is is that you all really are just jealous deep inside and don’t want to believe or admit it to yourselves. And honestly, I’m 20 years old, I’m 5’0″, and I can fluctuate anywhere between 95-110 pounds. For my entire life I have been called anorexic and that I am too skinny. I can tell you right now that I’m the furthest thing from being anorexic, bulimic, or whatever. And as far as I’m concerned I’m not too skinny. I love being the size I am and I can’t help how skinny I am. I can eat the worst food for days, and seriously not to brag or anything, but I literally can’t get any bigger. And I don’t want to get any bigger at all. It’s not my fault. And if the day comes where I start gaining weight, I’m sure as HELL going to do everything in my power to stay skinny. Yes skinny. I can’t stand how all of a sudden the word skinny is like a naughty word and no one can be skinny, they have to be healthy. And everything in my power doesn’t mean starting an eating disorder. Give me a break. I work out sometimes, but it’s definately not part of my daily routine, or monthly routine for that matter. So why doesn’t everyone think for yourselves for once in your lives and not live your life by what the media feeds you and brainwashes you to believe and think. Use your effing brain. If you don’t like something, well no one cares. Live for yourself, think for yourself. Like get real.

shocked & amazed

Posted at 8:36 PM on May 6, 2012

yeah yeah.. a i bet your my ex patient victoria… right age, same attitude

KS

Posted at 10:03 PM on May 6, 2012

Wow. Victoria once you have lived a little more life you may change your opinion and become a little more humble. I’m sure you will say you won’t because a lot of people (not all people) your age who have been an adult for only a few years think they have it all figured out. No one should be made fun of if they are skinny or fat. The fact is… if you are too “skinny” or too “fat”, it is usually unhealthy. There are always a few exceptions to the rule. What they are trying to promote is health. Eat right, exercise and take care of your body in general. I think it’s beautiful. Women were made to have curves. Those curves may be from a little excess fat around the butt and hips or curves from a muscular athletic body. Whatever the body type the person should be living a healthy lifestyle. We should not be able to count someones ribs or be able see someones pelvic brim. It’s just as depressing and gross to see a skeleton model in a skin suit as it is to see a 500 pound person who cares more about eating that breathing. Once again their is always exceptions to the rule and sad stories to tell to why they look that way. Unfortunately, media does have an impact on what people say and do. At a young age we are conditioned to a “norm.” The “norm” in the media world for many years has been skinny, beautiful and flawless. I think it’s great that they are trying to shift from this era to a new era of health and reality. The general population is not skinny, beautiful and flawless. We are who we are and we must learn to feel beautiful in our “own skin.” That is what they seem to be striving for. The term “use your effing brain” is offensive and rude. You seem as though you have been brainwashed by the media if you don’t see that there is a serious problem with the image that is being portrayed in these magazines. You may be the exception to the rule of the healthy skinny girl that eats everything she wants and can’t gain a pound, but in general the majority of these models starve themselves (and have other eating disorders) and work very hard to look the way they do. If you don’t know this or understand this than you are foolish AND brainwashed by the media. I’m so sorry that you have been picked on because you have been the “skinny” girl. Go talk to the girl who has been picked on because she is the “fat” girl. Go compare notes with her and I’m sure you won’t be feeling sorry for the poor defenseless skinny supermodels of the world. They are beautiful and can gain weight if they want to fit to the new image. If they can’t then they are in the same boat as the heavy people who can’t loose it. Love yourself! Be happy and healthy. No one is perfect unless they are airbrushed in a magazine!

Maryam

Posted at 5:52 AM on May 5, 2012

finally!hate those unrealistically skinny models and fashion

Paul

Posted at 4:19 AM on May 5, 2012

It is a shame that yet another group of people are now unemployed because of their age or how they look. Why not just have more variety within your pictorials, instead of making some people now feel socially unacceptable. This sort of social censorship is unacceptable in what is supposed to be a free society. The young and thin can now team up with the fat and old and look for another magazine to represent them.

Kate

Posted at 5:57 PM on May 6, 2012

Gosh I couldn’t agree more. Why would you be discriminatory toward someone who is under 16 years and starving themselves down to under 105 lbs at the advice of an agent who only sees them as a walking pile of 10% with long-legs and heels?

Seriously, they need the job! They obviously don’t have much money to eat anyway. I mean, these girls are STARVING! Someone should really represent them their rights. They should form a union! A model should not have to gain 5 pounds and wait another 18 months to be on the cover of Vogue! That is just rediculous!

You should right a letter. I bet they would listen.

shocked & amazed

Posted at 8:34 PM on May 6, 2012

LOL

shocked & amazed

Posted at 8:33 PM on May 6, 2012

you’re so wrong.. what you dont’ seem to understand is, it’s not the magazines that cause the problems, its the mother/father that constantly tell them they aren’t good enough from the day they are born because they have the issues.. im a nurse and take care of many male & female patients with eating disorders.. and it’s never ever about the magazines… of course, once it’s on the front of the magazine then it’s easier to justify

hayley

Posted at 7:10 PM on May 4, 2012

don’t be fooled… they will STILL cast skinny models with body types that the majority of women do not and will not never have. Even me, at 5’5 and 110 lbs, will be heavier than every women they will put on their pages. The fashion industry’s idea of “healthier” is still and probably will always be what the outside world considers skinny/underweight.

hayley

Posted at 7:11 PM on May 4, 2012

excuse me, woman* on third line.

Sarah-jane

Posted at 6:49 PM on May 4, 2012

Thankyou vouge! this makes us girls feel so much better about ourselfs that we have positive mindsets to look up to!