'American Idol' Results: The Most Shocking Elimination Yet?

Thu, May 3, 2012 9:04pm EDT by 304 Comments
Skylar Laine

Hollie Cavanagh and Skylar Laine made the bottom two on ‘American Idol May 3. Were you shocked by who went home?

We’d really love a girl to win American Idol this season, but it’s going to be tough if they keep getting voted off! Tonight best friends Hollie Cavanagh and Skylar Laine were in the bottom two

…leaving Joshua Ledet, Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez safe for another week.

Shockingly, Skylar was eliminated, which had her BFFs, Josh and Hollie, in tears.

So HollywoodLifers, Can you believe Skylar was voted off? Did she deserve it? Sound off below!

Breaking News — Skylar Laine: Why I’m Relieved I’m Off ‘Idol’ — Video

More News:

1. Demi Lovato: How I Coped With Wilmer Valderrama Split
  2. ‘Punk’d Preview’: Demi Lovato Sees A Ghost
  3. Demi Lovato Should Judge ‘X Factor’ Over Miley Cyrus

pacer

Posted at 4:09 AM on May 5, 2012

i couldn’t see the point of all these arguments. if you are not a fan of any of these contestants, you will not like her/him no matter what she/he does. you will not like it if you don’t agree with what the judges were saying about a certain contestant that you don’t like. at the end of the day,it’s obviously the contestant with the most number of votes who will win. they will get recording contracts after this. so buy the cd of the contestant you like (whether he/she was the winner or the one voted off)..peace

Amy

Posted at 2:23 AM on May 5, 2012

This show had gone bonkers. Two of the best was voted out the last 2 weeks. Looks like a winner that know one will remember. Just like Adam Albert & Daugherty. The most talented never seems to win. The judges used their save way to early. Now look at the final 4. YUCKO!!!! If Phillip Phillips or josh gets voted off next. I’m done watching idol. As much as I live Steven Tyler, I’m done watching & voting.

bunnygirl

Posted at 10:08 PM on May 4, 2012

This elimination was not as shocking as colton’s but it was still pretty shocking. this time I thought for sure it would be Hollie, cause she has been in the bottom for the past three weeks!

sentry pigeon review

Posted at 9:21 PM on May 4, 2012

Hello very cool website!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I am happy to find so many useful information right here in the publish, we need develop extra strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Peggy Thomas

Posted at 7:40 PM on May 4, 2012

I think all of these Reality show are not about talent but about how popular you are. I don’t think Skylar should have been voted off.

ida

Posted at 6:19 PM on May 4, 2012

Jessica does not have a good voice.She only mimics other singers and yet she doesnt have the aura of a person to watch and br entertained.She is ugly and trying to be a singer.She can sing in small clubs perhaps….

james

Posted at 7:36 PM on May 4, 2012

be careful with your words. there is no such an ugly person. better yet look at yourself first before uttering such degrading words. if you dont like her talent better yet just mouth shut. it seems you wasted your time going to school coz am sure you were never taught to belittle or bad mouth others.

Marc

Posted at 9:00 PM on May 4, 2012

to ida, what an uncivilized remark you have.. how can you label a person ugly and what do you know about a person you just saw on tv? pls let us all behave with proper decorum.. don’t give away your up bringing by uttering such “dark ages” remarks.. how i wish you are educated properly ida… grow up!

bunnygirl

Posted at 10:13 PM on May 4, 2012

Jessica is very pretty! She has a good voice but is kinda boring.

fredzo

Posted at 11:03 PM on May 4, 2012

Apparently you know nothing about singing. Jessica can outsing anyone on the show with a close second being held by Joshua. If I was a music promoter, I’d bank everthing on Jessica. She has more voice control than anyone on the show.

Gforce

Posted at 11:16 PM on May 4, 2012

Ugly? Really? I mean, I don’t love her voice, but ugly? She has one funny tooth. Does that make her ugly? And what does that have to do with singing talent anyway. I love Tom Petty and he’s not pretty… oh wait, you’re like 12, and I am…older.

agoodcatholicgirl

Posted at 9:49 PM on May 10, 2012

Jessica DOES have an excellent voice, however, she’s not an entertainer. Phillips is good; Joshua is better — he has stage presence and an entertainer.

Launa

Posted at 5:01 PM on May 17, 2012

I agree.

vivi

Posted at 5:08 PM on May 4, 2012

Phillip will win he has a fantastic fan base which even when he sang bland dog awlful songs kept him out of the bottom two, and I think that says it all. However, I also think Idol is begining to look like a big fix so that being said Jessica could win but then it really would be a fix and that’s the only way a girl will ever win this competition again. That’s what happens when your whole show is geared up to teenies.

gbtw

Posted at 4:44 PM on May 4, 2012

totally off topic- but jimmie was spot on with his critique of jessica’s styling! wtf?!?! i know they’re letting them make their own choices, but it’s true- she looks ridiculous in these get ups. i mean, i did the same thing as a teen girl wanting to be taken as a serious adult- high heels and short skirts… it’s dumb, but some teen girls think skin equals sexy equals grownup. but she just looks inappropriate (and too damn skinny). it’s true, her styling is really hurting her. i have a vague memory of liking maybe one of her outfits THIS ENTIRE SEASON! that’s it… jessica. get help, stop wearing too short or too tight outfits… stop wearing anything that is made of a prom gown material, etc. i mean, hollie had some problems early on, but she got relatively straightened around… jessica, and/or her stylist, your killing your chances!

Smiley

Posted at 3:42 PM on May 4, 2012

Here’s an appeal to American Idol’s sponsors; pls let this be the last season. The show is officially sold out, underrated & booooooringgggg; with VERY, I repeat VERY biased judges. How Deandre, Colton & Elise got voted off still beats my imagination. Oh, except America’s vote really don’t count anymore, just musing.

GreenMurphies

Posted at 3:13 PM on May 4, 2012

Jessica sings well, she doesn’t have to scream to hit her notes.
Hollie is alright, but doesn’t always give her best I think
Skylar is good too, but sings with her nose, not beautiful
Joshua screams too freaking much, yeah we know you is Gospel and all but dude; not every song requires a scream. Its just too predictable, plus those planned/calculated & unnecessary standing ovations from the judges, very irritating.
Philip, is an original which is kinna risky for a competition. He’s fan base well rooted, that’s why he’s never even been in the bottom three.
I’m not shocked Skylar went home, I only wish she didn’t; Joshua or Hollie maybe.
Anyways, I miss hearing Colton & Elise; those two are awesome.

Amanda

Posted at 3:04 PM on May 4, 2012

No. Skylar should not of been kicked off!

maria s.

Posted at 2:19 PM on May 4, 2012

Skylar is a fine singer. To be in the top 5 of the American Idol finals is a big accomplishment and an honor. Being eliminated from among the best of the best is not a bad thing. She will surely get offers or record deals. I wish her all the luck in her road to fame.

Lisa

Posted at 2:14 PM on May 4, 2012

Phillip is soo good i want him to win! phillip has been off lately due to kidney problems you should all know that by now

peacebaby

Posted at 2:03 PM on May 4, 2012

I like Holly. She has a great voice. She’s young but I think she’ll do well. Remember Carrie Underwood’s “Achilles heel” was her shyness and stage awkwardness, and she’s okay.

lisa sofranko

Posted at 1:46 PM on May 4, 2012

Well lets face it folks the final two will be Jessica and Josh because thats who the judges want………….even tho they wont sell a record to any young person today! Josh is an overrated gospel singer and Jessica is a Whitney wannabe. Im sad Skylar left but not worried about her at all – she will have a best selling record before either of those two’s careers even get started!

Sue

Posted at 1:13 PM on May 4, 2012

Skylar has been my favorite all year. Showing what a great performer she is her exit song was fantastic. She was like saying who needs american idol. I will my own way to stardom. I sure hope she does.
Jessica should be voted off. She has an amazing voice but her performances are really dull. Come on Proud Mary sung from a standing spot. That song she should have been all over the stage. If Jessica wins american idol will loose more fans then they already have!

bethportugal

Posted at 1:59 PM on May 4, 2012

Huhhh? Jessica sang Proud Mary from a “standing spot”? ha, ha, ha….perhaps you have nothing to criticize about Jessica that you “invent” things to throw at her. fyi, she was dancing to the beat!

maria s

Posted at 2:24 PM on May 4, 2012

you never wish something bad to happen to someone. remember what goes around comes around. If you can’t take the results of the show then stop watching!!!

Ashley

Posted at 1:02 PM on May 4, 2012

I’m an so glad skylar went home last nite. She deserved to leave she was horrible. Now the next to go should be hollie cuz she can’t sing either. And then Jessica should leave. Then Phillip Phillips should win. Because Phillip is the best out of this season that is left. Before that. I thought it would be Colton Dixon or Deandre Brackensick. But now phillip should win. But joshua is not bad either he is good.

Stick

Posted at 2:06 PM on May 4, 2012

ATTENTION!!!!!!!! This is not the cutest boy contest!!! Phillip should have never even made the top ten and I’m shocked every time he is safe. Although a talent, so was Bob Dylan. He couldn’t sing either. The last time the american idol fans got it right was David Cook. Year after year you teenie boppers get it wrong. If Joshua or Jessica don’t win this year you’ve all lost your minds.

Tom

Posted at 2:54 PM on May 4, 2012

I totally agree with your comments on phillip. He can’t sing at all! All he does is grin and grunt. Now I think your wrong about josh and jessica. All josh does is scream with a gospel tone and jessica over sings. She’s not that good. I give her credit for being just 16 though. Hollie has the strongest voice of them all and the best personify. She takes her lumps and doesn’t whine about it.

CB

Posted at 9:11 AM on May 5, 2012

Yes…..grin and grunt sums it up. Enough America. Vote for talent. Phiillip is not in thevsamebleaguevas the others.

bunnygirl

Posted at 7:20 PM on May 5, 2012

OKAY I WILL VOTE FOR PHILIP CAUSE HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN ACTUALLY SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beverly

Posted at 6:43 PM on May 4, 2012

I agree totally. Phillip has the worst voice I have seen on American Idol and if he wins I will Not watch American Idol anymore

juicy

Posted at 7:22 PM on May 5, 2012

WELL THEN GET READY TO TURN OFF AMERICAN IDOL CAUSE PHILLIP WILL WIN!!!!

RANDOMPERSON

Posted at 1:41 AM on May 6, 2012

Watch out people, speak your mind and the tone-deaf Fangirls will come out from their Temple of Twilight Worship and tear your functional ears to shreds out of envy.

AND BTW DO YOU LOT NEED TO TYPE EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS???!!!!!!!!

Senta

Posted at 7:52 PM on May 4, 2012

Amen!

Senta

Posted at 8:06 PM on May 4, 2012

It’s ridiculous. Hollie has to out sing everyone twice, just to get the judges approval. I agree with the other comments on this and on other chat forums. They are shoving Jessica and Joshua down our throats,bigtime! Joshua could go out there and sing “mary had a little lamb” and he would get a standing ovation and Jimmy would be instructed that he should sign him up, quick! I’ve watched this show a few months now and Hollie has been put through the ringer, when she was up to par with the favorites, Joshua and Jessica. They didn’t crush her spirit’s and she is soaring above them, now. I think Hollie was better than Skylar, if we are judging by voice. Phillip, I agree is way overrated. If he wins I will probably quit watching the show. If I have to choose I pick Hollie, I’m very impressed by her and she is improving weekly. The last song she sang was very difficult and she nailed it. Too bad for Jessica, the judge’s did ruin it for her by making her so superior to the other contestant’s, rushing out on the stage. I’m hoping Hollie will get all of Sylar’s votes:)

Bunnygirl

Posted at 10:34 PM on May 4, 2012

No She won’t! I won’t vote for her!

agodcatholicgirl

Posted at 9:59 PM on May 10, 2012

The audience votes its favorite, able to sing or not. The judges actually know what to look for. The judges are looking at the total individual. Jessica CAN SING; she has an outstanding voice, she’s not Total. #1 the songs she’s singing is not in her league — she to young; #2 she’s to naive — to young again; #3 she doesn’t have stage presence; and the judges know that just a beautiful voice will not make it.

bunnygirl

Posted at 10:15 PM on May 4, 2012

Not amen Philip WILL win!

RANDOMPERSON

Posted at 1:48 AM on May 6, 2012

Dear fangirl,

Please note that typing the words “Philip will win!!!!!!!!” into EVERY D@MN REPLY will NOT make it reality! Go find something productive to do with your life. And please realize that no matter how good someone LOOKS, they are going to grow old! It’ll be what they leave behind that matters.

Sincerely,
Reality

senta

Posted at 8:11 PM on May 4, 2012

I was trying to reply to you. Yes, should be Cute or Sexy American Idol.. lol

maria s

Posted at 2:43 PM on May 4, 2012

you must have a thing for men only whether they sing well or not

bob

Posted at 1:02 PM on May 4, 2012

Skyler should have been voted off, american idol should fast forward to the final and give the thing to phillip phillips. the average fifth grader that composes the majoriy of the voters on this show votes only on how cute the boy is, not how well they sing. phillips has not sang in tune since the beginning of the show,but he is really really cute and should therefore win, hands down. mediocraty in music rules today…..why vote for quality when you can vote for cute…..cold play and j lo come to mind.,…

Ashley

Posted at 1:18 PM on May 4, 2012

Lol. I agree with everything u say.

Senta

Posted at 8:08 PM on May 4, 2012

lmao…Cute American Idol.. couldn’t have said it better:p

Seabat

Posted at 12:10 PM on May 4, 2012

Although Phil Phillips is an interesting performing, his voice isn’t the greatest. Skylar has a lot of energy and a good voice – I don’t think she should have been voted off even though I’m not a huge country fan. Jessica has an amazing voice, but her stage presence needs help. Hollie is getting better all the time and is very likeable (and has a fabulous voice). Josh – he’s amazing! I think he should go all the way!

CB

Posted at 11:35 AM on May 4, 2012

Phillip should have been in the bottom two this week. What a pathetic performance. His pitch was all ver the place and that cheesy smile is sickening! He needs to go next.

bunnygirl

Posted at 10:36 PM on May 4, 2012

NO!, NO!, NO!, NO!

CB

Posted at 9:08 AM on May 5, 2012

Yes, yes, yes, yes, go home Phillip. No talent, just voted to stay by all the stupid young teenage girls.

CB

Posted at 9:13 AM on May 5, 2012

The grinner and grunter needs to GO!

bunnygirl

Posted at 7:01 PM on May 5, 2012

NO HE DOES NOT!!!!!!!!! BTW who’s ur favorite CB?

RANDOMPERSON

Posted at 1:54 AM on May 6, 2012

WOW… I just hate how this country’s music industry has been taken over by stupid teenage girls.

Note: I do not direct this comment at all teenage girls, as I am one myself, ONLY! THE! STUPID! ONES! WHO! TYPE! LIKE! THIS!

Judy Simpson

Posted at 11:34 AM on May 4, 2012

I think they got rid of the only contestant who could sing anything Phillip Phillips is not a good entertainer her fans let her down! Country Fans come on wish her well!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen

Posted at 1:59 PM on May 4, 2012

You must have a lot of wax in your ears, dear.

Cheryl Campbell

Posted at 10:54 AM on May 4, 2012

I am very glad Skylar got voted off. I was sink and tired of hearing her twangy voice. Jessica Sanchez if by far the better female vocalist and Joshusa is by far the better male vocalist. As for Phillip Phillips, he sounds ordidnary to me and Holly is just coasting.

sue

Posted at 1:26 PM on May 4, 2012

Jessica has a beautiful voice. But she has no stage presence. Proud Mary standing still what? I would fall asleep listening to all her ballads.

maria s

Posted at 2:35 PM on May 4, 2012

really??then don’t listen! stage presence and performance can be developed…but a magnificent voice is inborn.

Carissa

Posted at 1:40 PM on May 6, 2012

Maria, you just changed my mind because you are absolutely right, I previously felt the same way, that Jessica has an amazing voice, but her performances are not that great, but your comment is right, that can be developed and worked on. I was sad to see Skylar go, also Colton, I am liking Hollie more and more everyday, but Jessica’s voice is not of this world!

Sue

Posted at 10:38 AM on May 4, 2012

I think Skylar did not have a big fan base, not because she can’t sing, or doesn’t have enough energy…sometimes I think too much confidence offends the viewers. I thought her voice was very good, but nothing special that we haven’t already heard. I’m with Philip Phillips…most unique and interesting. Hope he makes it!

Justin

Posted at 11:28 AM on May 4, 2012

Unique??? You have got to be kidding? Watch/listen to Dave Matthews some time. He is an exact copy down to his movements and facial expressions.

bunnygirl

Posted at 10:16 PM on May 4, 2012

He IS unique! And NO i am NOT kidding!

Sherry

Posted at 9:35 AM on May 4, 2012

AAAAGGGGHHHHH…. hardly any of these people are very good. Skylar ?? just yet another boring country squealer, good riddance… One week too late for Elise, who God bless her had a voice I actually would look forward to hearing on the radio (if I listened to that crap, which unf. i rarely do because of contests like this where they let go of all the real talents and make it a popularity contest (yet even that is not too believable, HOLLY ?? Scotty McCreary ?? they aren’t even cute enough to be a teeny bopper crush… and how bout those judges ?? Good grief, get with it! they can’t say one original thought, ever… i can’t sit thru a whole show anymore, so pathetic. may as well give up ever actually getting to hear someone sing who is original and not the same old crap we hear from ever other new “singer” – Taylor Swift?? Katy Perry ? Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this is the last season

Tammy

Posted at 9:29 AM on May 4, 2012

I am shocked that Skylar was sent home. She has a contagious energy about her that the others don’t have. I still don’t understand what the Judges are hearing with the screaming Joshua is doing. Sitting through a concert of Jessica, Hollie or Phillip would be nails on the chalkboard for me. Hollie and Jessica will probably do great at singing the National Anthem around the country but for entertaining, no way!

mari

Posted at 5:38 PM on May 4, 2012

Sorry but holly is the best singer and phillip the best performance and real artist,but we know this program would make jessica win…….

senta

Posted at 8:24 PM on May 4, 2012

Very true.. I also wanted to add that this show shouldn’t be about who’s turn is it to win? It shouldn’t be about race, or creed, etc. The judge’s beg to differ, from what I have seen, with Jlo being not so bad. Anyway it should be about who is best, and I do start drifting off when Jessica sings. Sad but true. All of Phillips songs sound about the same. If I had to had to pick, I’d say Hollie and Joshua, to be fair.

Senta

Posted at 8:26 PM on May 4, 2012

Elise and Colton could be very entertaining and unique. They were good.

Bunnygirl

Posted at 10:39 PM on May 4, 2012

I LOVE COLTON DIXON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunnygirl

Posted at 10:24 PM on May 4, 2012

I say BYE BYE hollie Cavanagh! Phillip For the win!