'American Idol' Results: The Most Shocking Elimination Yet?

Thu, May 3, 2012 9:04pm EDT by 304 Comments
Skylar Laine

Hollie Cavanagh and Skylar Laine made the bottom two on ‘American Idol May 3. Were you shocked by who went home?

We’d really love a girl to win American Idol this season, but it’s going to be tough if they keep getting voted off! Tonight best friends Hollie Cavanagh and Skylar Laine were in the bottom two

…leaving Joshua Ledet, Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez safe for another week.

Shockingly, Skylar was eliminated, which had her BFFs, Josh and Hollie, in tears.

So HollywoodLifers, Can you believe Skylar was voted off? Did she deserve it? Sound off below!

Breaking News — Skylar Laine: Why I’m Relieved I’m Off ‘Idol’ — Video

More News:

1. Demi Lovato: How I Coped With Wilmer Valderrama Split
  2. ‘Punk’d Preview’: Demi Lovato Sees A Ghost
  3. Demi Lovato Should Judge ‘X Factor’ Over Miley Cyrus

richard

Posted at 3:38 AM on May 4, 2012

Honestly everyone please vote for the girls this time. Joshua is too loud , he always yell, scream . Phillip is so boring . I hope showdown will be hollie and Jessica . I am sick of seeing the boys alway win .

K

Posted at 3:47 AM on May 4, 2012

I agree. Jessica Wins

Lucy

Posted at 8:48 AM on May 4, 2012

I quit watching real time because of the stupid judges so now DVR and fast forward thru just to watch the contestants sing. This show has become SO stupid since Simon left. At first, I was shocked that Deandre and Joshua were even in the top 10. Then I was ticked about the way the judges did the save. NOW I’m ticked about all the comments throwing the racist card. This isn’t a talent show anymore…it’s a JOKE. And Jessica may have a good voice but she sounds the same on every song ( except the first part of “You Are So Beautiful”) and Josh doesn’t. But the final two will be Joshua and Jessica and that will satisfy the stupid judges and pander to all the race card throwing jerks. No point in watching or voting anymore. They made it clear Jessica is going to win.

Kate

Posted at 3:03 AM on May 4, 2012

Hollie should go home next week. It’s about time she did.

vangiem

Posted at 6:39 AM on May 4, 2012

i agree

meow

Posted at 2:55 AM on May 4, 2012

WHY Is Hollie still here! She should have been eliminated back when Colton was, how does she keep slipping by? She goes flat almost every song, and has no personality on stage. I can not see her making a CD or career in the music busines. I also do not understand or see what they see in Joshua, I feel like they are really blowing his head up.

Erika

Posted at 2:55 AM on May 4, 2012

Come on Jessica is taking this Cleary that girl gots a voice no other girl in this competiton can sing like her and who cares if she was saved she deserved to be they knew they couldn’t let a great singer like that go and just to see the girls faces when she was saved haha priceless Jessica u got this girl but best believe u already got haters its ok their only going to make u famous

Danielle

Posted at 3:30 AM on May 4, 2012

—Not the fact that they saved her, but the way they did it. They didn’t make her sing, which was disrespectful, unfair, and a slap in the face to the other contestants. If it was ANY of the others they would have made them sing.—

^^What I said, I didn’t care that they saved her, it was the way they did it. It was disrespectful. She does have a voice, but she’s not great every time either, as much as the judges have been giving her credit for. They have clearly been playing favorites the whole season. I’m not a Jessica “hater”, I’m just not a fan, I know she can sing, but just not as good as she’s given credit, she does have faults, as they all do.

What else was priceless… the look on JLo’s face when Skylar went home. Another case in point on the favoritism. She was clearly disappointed that it wasn’t Hollie. She is not a very good judge. She should learn to keep her facial expressions neutral when someone is cut.

K

Posted at 3:48 AM on May 4, 2012

I agree

Saipan

Posted at 2:43 AM on May 4, 2012

Not surprised she got eliminated. Happy with top 4 :)

Danielle

Posted at 2:30 AM on May 4, 2012

First of all, I find it funny reading some comments from people on here saying that so and so is deaf… it’s not that they are deaf, it’s called an OPINION. Look it up in the dictionary.

Secondly, I just don’t get these judges this year. “This is the best year, best talent, blah blah blah…” I beg to disagree. For one, that is said EVERY year. Two, it’s funny when it’s coming from Jlo and Steven, when they’ve only been on the show for two seasons. And the thing that has really erked me, the FAVORITISM that has been played out through the season. They have Jessica and Joshua up on a pedestal. I’m sorry, but (IMO) those two are NOT that great. Joshua: Well, Joshua screeches, and I can see I’m not the only one who hears it. He did NOT deserve all those standing O’s he has received. Jessica: Can the girl sing a great ballad? Yes, she’s proved it. But can she sing a great ballad every time? No. She didn’t deserve as much praise that she has recieved week after week. And I can’t fail to mention, that the girl can NOT sing an upbeat song to save her life. She was bad on every single one. She was even worse when they sang in groups, and THE worse out of all them in a group. Hollie’s voice, outshined hers. And another thing that was really disturbing… when they saved Jessica. Not the fact that they saved her, but the way they did it. They didn’t make her sing, which was disrespectful, unfair, and a slap in the face to the other contestants. If it was ANY of the others they would have made them sing.

The judges do have an influence on the votes, with both the way they act, and the comments they make, and they KNOW this. I believe that their favoritism this season has swayed a lot of the votes. Colton, should not have gone home. I thought he was the best one. Every single performance he did was ORIGINAL, and was really great. The judges knew Colton was great too, how many times did Steven say he could make a record now? But, they didn’t give him the praise that he deserved, because the judges had their noses stuck elsewhere. Then look what happened, he went home the week after Jessica was saved. The voting system is also the problem, unlimited voting does not show how many fans you have, it just shows how competitive voters are voting for their favorites. One person could have less voters than the other and those voters can still out vote the one with more. Just look at Season 9 with Tim Urban, he was the worst ever, but he stayed way longer than he should have, cuz the fans that he did have voted their butts off.

IMO, I think Hollie or Phillip has the most to gain out of winning this one. If it’s Joshua or Jessica, I wouldn’t expect a Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood, who have been going strong since they’ve won.

Oh, and one more thing, to save anyone the trouble of asking if I’m deaf… my hearing is perfectly fine, thank you :)

Janet

Posted at 3:24 AM on May 4, 2012

Thank you, thank you, Danielle. Now I won’t have to post the long post I was going to make!!

Danielle

Posted at 3:42 AM on May 4, 2012

lol

Well, I usually don’t, but this has been by far the most disappointing season of AI I have seen yet, so I just had to say something. I think the judges need to be changed again.

Lucy

Posted at 8:55 AM on May 4, 2012

Great post Danielle.

Danielle

Posted at 12:25 PM on May 4, 2012

priyanka

Posted at 4:40 AM on May 4, 2012

You like them then vote 4 them….. I believed they were all talented so i dont want to say anything bad about them even i had my own fav….its not good to compare this contestant to this contestant…..if you want them to win then you just give them your vote….alright

Danielle

Posted at 12:25 PM on May 4, 2012

I did vote, for 2 hours straight. When Colton went home, I voted Hollie (and yes I will be voting for her again, for 2 hours). I was stating what I was hearing and seeing, my post was mostly about the judges, how they’ve been playing favorites and for two of them that are not as good as they are percieving them to be. I don’t think this is the best season, I was not impressed with the final 12, or any of the decision making.

imeeclairea

Posted at 2:24 AM on May 4, 2012

we love you jessica:)

miss castro

Posted at 3:06 AM on May 4, 2012

I agree that Jessica got this! Team Jessica!

Jannah Eugenio

Posted at 2:22 AM on May 4, 2012

Thank goodness Skylar went home!!! She’s kinda like a racist.. So obvious that skylar, hollie and joshua don’t like Jessica to be with them… We observed that!! Maybe they’re just intimidated with Jess’!! They all must go home RIGHT NOW!!!! EXCEPT FOR JESSICA, ’cause Jessica deserves to win!!!

Charisse eugenio

Posted at 2:17 AM on May 4, 2012

She deserves go home!! Actually, all of them must go home EXCEPT for JESSICA!!!

Cognac

Posted at 2:52 AM on May 4, 2012

I want a showdown between Jessica and Hollie in the finals !!! Girl power indeed…!!!

blue jays

Posted at 2:05 AM on May 4, 2012

Oh please, don’t even compare hayley to hollie! Hayley is way more better than hollie!! For pete’s sake hollie almost always gets off tune in her songs every week. I should know because I’m a singer too and I have ear training. Try to listen closely, she doesn’t hit her notes very well. She may sound like she’s hitting her notes properly but a trained ear knows otherwise.

Janet

Posted at 3:27 AM on May 4, 2012

Oh, come on. I know Hollie USED to be pitchy, but right now she’s spot on!! My husband and I both hope Hollie will win. And, by the way, my husband sang with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus when Robert Shaw was the conductor.

vangiem

Posted at 1:55 AM on May 4, 2012

send home Hollie next week :)…top three should be Jessica, Joshua and Phillip………………….and the winner is – JESSICA SANCHEZ of San Diego, CA..

vangiem

Posted at 1:49 AM on May 4, 2012

sorry for Skylar for she belongs to my top 4 along with Deandre, Jessica and Joshua….it should be Hollie and not Skylar this time to be eliminated….voters should not listen to Randy Jackson’s “favoritism comment”…..vote wisely guys!

Ruby Goings

Posted at 1:41 AM on May 4, 2012

OOPS! Typo! Correction. If one can’t appreciate Joshua Ledat, one really haven’t a clue about talent! Jessica is talented! Skylar is a ball of fire! Elise was entertaining! Phillip is interesting! Colton was cute! Joshua is a STAR! And Hollie is going home!

yolamda morrison

Posted at 2:54 AM on May 4, 2012

Hollie made it through again, she definitely should of went home tonight.. yes skylar was a great country singer but not to win the american idol… I can’t wait for the showdown of joshua and jessica…… they do both have phenomenal voices.

Kate

Posted at 3:00 AM on May 4, 2012

That was funny! And i totally agree!

chelle

Posted at 5:08 AM on May 4, 2012

Ruby goings,

Totally agree with you! Joshua is a star and is in to win it!!! Go joshua!

tim

Posted at 1:39 AM on May 4, 2012

joshua should be eleminated we dont understand the words comming out from his mouth and he is screaming everytime he sing…..

K

Posted at 3:50 AM on May 4, 2012

Ruby Goings

Posted at 1:34 AM on May 4, 2012

If one can’t appreciate Joshua Ledat, one really hasn’t a club about talent! Jessica is talented! Skylar is a ball of fire! Elise was entertaining! Phillip is interesting! Colton was cute! Joshua is a STAR! And Hollie is going home!

eugene

Posted at 1:30 AM on May 4, 2012

well…jessica was in the top 4…sorry akon..but you have to wait for jessica to be eliminated..which is very much impossible….its going to be jessica vs joshua showdown in the finals with jessica being the winner..!!!

Davey

Posted at 1:30 AM on May 4, 2012

Skylar is a great performer, but…..she is a little “too country” for mainstream America. Also, whenever she went over the top on Wednesday, she seemed to find herself sitting on the wrong side of the stage. Unlike the other country Idol singers of the past, they could sing something “normal” I’m not sure that Skylar could do that (sing a song sans the twang)

Phillip is the one that should have gone home tonight. He is flat out awful. The Zombies song was terrible. He hasn’t sung anything worth a crap for weeks. I thought this was a singing competition. Hello????

Ashbee

Posted at 1:22 AM on May 4, 2012

Really? Explain Carrie Underwood, Scotty McCreery, and Lauren Alaina.

It’s a show for talent that will sell the most records, regardless of genre.

Gail

Posted at 1:21 AM on May 4, 2012

Skylar is an excellent singer but I think she is too loud and screechy when she sings. Also, with every song she sings she is jumping & stomping around. Adding all that together you can hardly hear the “words” to the song. Other than that, she could have been a winner if she had calmed down . Sorry Skylar.

Ruby Goings

Posted at 1:16 AM on May 4, 2012

Wow! Some people are just plain ole lucky! That is the 3rd contestant that went home in Hollie’s place. She should have been gone. She can sing (karaoke) that is. She’s just not in the same league as the other contestants.

esper

Posted at 1:42 AM on May 4, 2012

Hmmmm… So a few people took Hollie’s place! BIAS to the bone there Ruby! You seemed to forget that Hollie is still there because believe in her and so as the judges! People specially Hollie’s fans are strong because they’ve seen her since this year’s and last’s seasons auditions which she really almost joined that stellar cast of contestants last season! So that proves that she has something in her that people love like her talent her voice notably clear, crisp and powerful! Yes she does have something to work on (stage performance) but it’s very minor! She can sing almost everything and maybe more genres than the other three. Hollie almost reminds me of Hayley Reindhardt!!! She was familiar in the bottom 3 and guess what? She took 3rd and almost took herself to the finals! It was just hard to beat the country fans because they had to top notch country stars! Hayley now has single and upcoming album along with the top 2 winners of last year! Josh, Jessica and Phillips will get be successful no matter what but this is American Idol! If you ask me I rather see someone who has a talent, under rated but shoot up to the top at the end and Im hoping Hollie will do that! If not she will be successful no matter what!

Bianca Sitjar

Posted at 1:06 AM on May 4, 2012

For me Joshua Ledet should be eliminated. Skylar is indeed a very talented girl, and she deserves to be in the Top 4. I’m a proud Filipina, so i support Jessica Sanchez all the way. But it doesn’t mean that i don’t appreciate other talents of the Idol Contestants. I just thought that people should not just vote for Joshua because of the GOOD phrases Randy has for him, it’s more like Randy has a favorite in A.I. whereas, Voters online should really listen to the performances every week and vote for the best singer on that week. Let’s not be biased, Let’s give others a chance to win this competition. :) Audiences, vote wisely! lol Anyway, Skylar, you did a great job. No matter what happens, you’re still a winner! :)

elen

Posted at 12:59 AM on May 4, 2012

I think Hollie should be the one to go home. It will be Jessica and Joshua at the finale. That i can predict.

dennis

Posted at 12:44 AM on May 4, 2012

First off , I don’t know what they are hearing at the show, but I’m not seeing Joshua Ledet as that great.. I think he is talented yes, but his sound doesn’t keep me coming back for more .. Holly should of been off the show 3 weeks ago, but since she somehow survived , has had two really good weeks .. Skylar very refined as a performer , but Elise’s sound and range abilities more pleasing to this fans ear .. Colton was also very good , Jessica can flat sing but has those drony moments that are undesirable , and has zero stage presence … Phillip is not very multi dimensional but has his distinctive sound and is getting female teen vote..

Jennifer

Posted at 2:11 AM on May 4, 2012

Totally agree!

Debbie

Posted at 12:40 AM on May 4, 2012

Don’t worry Sklar you are going to be abig star! You will be on the grand ole opry. You are not a screamer people dont know what they Re listening to. You are beautifully on pitch and are wonderful to watch. Phillip has the young girl vote and they dont know anything, he hasnt sung on pitch one time, he is painful to watch. Things work out for the best, you will see. Good luck and best wishes.

A

Posted at 12:34 AM on May 4, 2012

Im glad skylar is gone, I think Jessica should win. Skylar looked like she was pushing something outta her every time she sang and this show is more of a hip hop rnb show not country. Go Jessica!!