American Idol Recap: Is Skylar Laine In Trouble?

Thu, May 3, 2012 2:03am EDT by 80 Comments

Who do you think will win ‘American Idol’ at this point?

The Top 5 took on the songs of the ’60s and Brit Pop, and for the most part delivered a fun show that could have been a train wreck. With the help of the best mentor to date, Steven Van Zandt, the Idol hopefuls really came out of their shell. But with the highs of Hollie and Joshua, are Phillip and Skylar in trouble of elimination?

Hollie Cavanagh: ‘River Deep, Mountain High’ by Ike & Tina Turner

The ever dreaded death spot was given to Hollie this week. I would have to say this is a bad song that was a pretty good performance. Hollie actually looked like a star on the stage tonight. With the amount of people on stage tonight, it actually made her look that much more important. And she led the background singers and band members into a rather surprisingly enjoyable first song of the night. Jennifer Lopez was spot on when she said, “It was nice to see that you could lead a big production. I felt the energy.” Hollie having a second round performance that meets or surpasses her first song could actually make her safe for one more week. She may be peaking at the right time.

Hollie Cavanagh: ‘Bleeding Love’ by Leona Lewis

This second performance was actually a great song to pick. It made Hollie work with a song that was a little younger and more in her wheelhouse. I liked Randy Jackson‘s critique as he mentioned, “This girl’s a fighter. That was unbelievable.” It wasn’t unbelievable, but I think she did enough tonight to warrant another week on the show. It bounced off her first performance that was stellar enough to make the underdog a possible diamond in the rough. She felt at home on stage this week. Now will America reward her for her good night?

Phillip Phillips: ‘The Letter’ by The Box Tops

Phillip is his own type of performer and really doesn’t change from week to week. Some call it consistent and others may say that its the same old song and dance. One thing is for sure, he is back from his rather crappy set of performances from last week. I would think he still might be in the bottom three but if he survived last week then he should be fine again and get the proper amount of votes to make him safe. But I would like him to start singing his song selections and lose the growling he often does to the selections he makes. Steven Tyler tried to put a dig on Phillip but in a nice way by saying, “You should be so proud that you get away with it, like the Stones got away with it.” I don’t think he will be able to get away with it much longer. The other Idol hopefuls may eclipse him as the remaining few weeks continue. His act may be wearing thin, we’ll see.

Phillip Phillips: ‘Time Of The Season’ by The Zombies

This is a classic song that he actually didn’t overdue it vocally. He actually is singing the song which is amazing to actually hear for the first time this season. It certainly is the time of the season for Phillip to mix it up and he may have just officially saved himself and got votes from people that don’t usually vote for him. Randy was pleasantly surprised as well when he added, “You can really sing the melody.” This could be the revelation that Phillip needs to make it to the finals and actually win it.

Skylar Laine: ‘Fortunate Son’ by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Skylar has been the Idol hopeful that has improved the most in her journey. But this week didn’t start very well. She chose an amazing song but didn’t perform it very well. It seemed like she was screaming her performance rather than singing her performance. The judges must be watching another show as they absolutely loved it. Steven Tyler mentioned that, “You love music and music loves you.” Well when it came to this song I would have to disagree, it just wasn’t her best nor was it to the caliber that she has shown as of late. She could actually be in trouble especially since Hollie actually delivered this week.

Skylar Laine: ‘You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me’ by Dusty Springfield

Jennifer Lopez gushed, “You wanna win don’t you? You just might.” It was better than her first song but it was just way too boring. After this performance she will not win the show. Plus when the focus is more on the random couple on the bench on stage then her performance that is actually trouble brewing. The judges loved it and she will get the country vote but I think her two performances actually hurt her more then it helped her. It’s too bad because Skylar has been fun, but I think this might be her time to go home. If anything she will be in the bottom three for sure.

Jessica Sanchez: ‘Proud Mary’ by Ike & Tina Turner

As much as Jessica is trying to be the next diva she is not the next diva. She is 16 years old and should do fun songs that are actually fun and appropriate for her age. This is a huge song that was a decent performance but as the song went faster it seemed as if she was screaming the lyrics. People next to me in the audience were saying, “Not a good sound choice,” and “This isn’t karaoke, this is American Idol.” I’m going to have to agree with those audience members and Randy who actually judged her saying, “This performance was barely OK.” She wasn’t the worst of the night but this didn’t do her any favors, she really needs a strong second song to be out of the bottom three. She won’t go home from this performance, but she needs to pick up the pace for sure.

Jessica Sanchez: ‘You Are So Beautiful’ by Joe Cocker

This is an incredible song that tells such a simple but emotional story. This was leaps and bounds better from her ‘Proud Mary’ performance but I don’t think that Jessica told the story of the song. She sounded great and moments of the song were very nice but this song deserves much better. Again, she’s 16 years old, I wish she started to act like it. The judges though, as they have all season loved every single minute of it. Randy Jackson wasn’t afraid to say, “This girl is on top of the leaderboard.” I actually think he should have said this about Hollie this week. But when do the judges actually judge?

Joshua Ledet: ‘Ain’t Too Proud To Beg’ by The Temptations

I really liked the song choice and the choreography here and lets not forget that he received the pimp spot. This should have been his moment but it didn’t reach that level. He may have still been in shell shock from his duet with Phillip. (See below) Steven Tyler was quick to mention that Joshua was, “One of the top 2 best Idols of all time.” I would like to introduce Steven Tyler to Chris Daughtry, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and even Clay Aiken that are better than Joshua. Let the performances judge the votes, we don’t need the judges to force feed us anything. I mean Joshua had fun and this was a good performance but they are trying to make him the greatest singer ever. Its far from it. Saying that, he’ll be safe for another week.

Joshua Ledet: ‘To Love Somebody’ by The Bee Gees

The judges gave Joshua another standing ovation, which I believe is his 13th! Will that be unlucky? During the judging phase when he gets his praise he never really says, “Thank you”. I hope he isn’t building an ego. But when Jennifer Lopez throws out comments like, “There’s so few people who could perform that way. You are one of the best singers I’ve seen in 50 years, since James Brown.” How can you not have an ego? But really how outright ridiculous was that comment. He did the song good, he’ll be safe for another week, but the best singer in the last 50 years!!!! I mean that is a complete joke. His first song was better than this and I believe we all can list 100’s of singers better than Joshua Ledet. Talk about being overhyped.

The Duets:

The Idol hopefuls also paired off in duets, which they should be very happy they were not judged on because they were horrid. Especially the duet between Phillip Phillips and Joshua Ledet when they sang, ‘You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ by The Righteous Brothers. It just might be the worst American Idol performance of all time. Joshua was scared with how Phillip was playing with him on stage and Phillip tried to sing a song that is way out of his league. It was completely awful. Its worth watching just solely on seeing what a bad performance is all about. Talk about cringe worthy!

As for the girls, it was better but how could it not be from the guys duet? They chose to sing ‘Higher & Higher’ by Jackie Wilson and it seemed as if they were trying way to hard to hit there spots on the stage and not perform the song. Hollie was the best singer on stage out of the three and continued looking like a star for the first time all season. But the duets were really awful for the most part.

So HollywoodLifers, who do you think will be in the bottom three and who is in danger of going home? Will it be a surprise?

Russ Weakland

Ed

Posted at 10:31 PM on May 3, 2012

Jessica Sanchez is d next American idol

CHRIS

Posted at 10:39 PM on May 3, 2012

Jessica next american idol????? HA HA HA HA HA
Randy Jackson has a better chance of becoming the next american!!!!!

Mandi

Posted at 9:31 PM on May 3, 2012

I think Skylar was one of the best left on the show. She isn’t a professional singer, it takes practice. But I know raw talent when I hear or see it and that girl has got what it takes to be a successful entertainer. She’s funny, entertaining, and down to earth. She is what you would call down here in the SOUTH a “REAL Girl” not “fake”. So please, if you want to talk about the south, come on down and we will be glad to show you the real meaning of southern hospitality! American Idol id getting to be about ridiculous and to be honest I DO NOT plan on watching it anymore after this year.

Courtney

Posted at 10:07 PM on May 3, 2012

I’m from the south too and I don’t sound like a growling hick who can’t properly pronounce words. Skylar literally made my ears hurt every time she sang. I’m so glad that she’s off the show now. I know people who quit watching American Idol just because of Skylar being on it. Maybe they’ll start watching it again now.

evan paul

Posted at 9:23 PM on May 3, 2012

Jessica and Joshua, the two Jays keep smoking the stage with their incredible vocal talents every week. They are both capable of singing superior melodic songs, they both have the chops. From a songwriter’s point of view, they’re a dream come true, hope they go right to the end.

Tane

Posted at 8:47 PM on May 3, 2012

Woooo Jessica’s safe!!!!!
haha skylar and holly in the bottom 2 … holly better go home!

Jann

Posted at 8:41 PM on May 3, 2012

Skyler is too red neck to be the American Idol. Agree she is the hillbilly.

otot

Posted at 7:49 PM on May 3, 2012

HOLLIE is MEAN! She chuckled when Jessica got eliminated and then tried to sarcastically imitate Jessica’s vibrato. She deserves to go home because of her attitude.

tane

Posted at 8:48 PM on May 3, 2012

jessica never got voted of … holly and skylar are in the bottom 2!

Maggie

Posted at 9:10 PM on May 3, 2012

I don’t believe that. Hollie is a sweetheart, just like Jessica and Skylar.

CHRIS

Posted at 6:37 PM on May 3, 2012

Can somebody get rid of the three stooges that call themselves judges… Where is the constructive critisism that they should be giving. Instead they sound like they are at a theatre restaraunt talking to each other about if they liked it or not, not helping them.
BRING BACK SIMON <— KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT AND WASN'T BIAS
steven – stop perving
jennifer – stop laughing
randy – dawg, dress better

mm

Posted at 11:10 PM on May 3, 2012

I second this comment. “Judge” would be the wrong term to use for any of this fools. Simon and others just like him who wouldn’t sugarcoat comments should replace all of them.

mm

Posted at 11:16 PM on May 3, 2012

Make that “these fools.”

Les Dawson

Posted at 6:10 PM on May 3, 2012

What a load of crap. You must be tone deaf to be waiving Hollie’s flag. She didn’t even hit Leona’s high notes which are the crucial parts of the chorus. Why do they allow stupid writers like this published?

Kentucky Girl

Posted at 7:42 PM on May 3, 2012

Hollie isn’t perfect, but at least she doesn’t sound like a nasally hillbilly like that stumpy, beak-nose Skylar does. I’m from southern Kentucky, and I don’t even sound like that when I talk, let alone sing. Skylar gets attention by jumping up and down, shaking like she’s having a seizure and yelling on stage while she supposed to be singing. That girl is annoying as a pack of hound dogs howling at the moon.

April

Posted at 4:27 PM on May 3, 2012

Skylar Laine should be leaving the show tonight. She is the worst singer in the history of American Idol.

Angeli

Posted at 6:05 PM on May 3, 2012

I totally agree. I do not see what the others are seeing or hearing. I do not know why she is irritating to me.

Kentucky Girl

Posted at 7:46 PM on May 3, 2012

I agree, too. Skylar’s voice makes me cringe. I don’t personally know anybody who likes her. Everybody who I talk to about American Idol thinks that she is a horrible singer and an annoying person. The judges kiss her rear end because they don’t want to offend their “southern” audience who give their show such high ratings and vote like crazy for anybody on it who sounds like them: Hillbilly.

Cristina

Posted at 8:45 PM on May 3, 2012

Y’all just jealous.. If she got this far don’t you think she has to be good? Duuuuhhh.

Kentucky Girl

Posted at 9:14 PM on May 3, 2012

Jealous of WHAT exactly? The fact that she sounds like she’s singing through her beak nose or that she WAS the least prettiest one on the show? The truth hurts sometimes, don’t it? She is gone now so the show can carry on with the 4 remaining contestants who have REAL TALENT. It’s not always about talent on these talent shows anyway, and it should be…

You’re probably from Skylar’s hometown anyway. Welcome her back there nicely now.

Courtney

Posted at 10:10 PM on May 3, 2012

Jealous? LMAO! I wake up everyday thankful that I DON’T sound like Skylar and I’m a country girl. Newsflash, honey, everybody who dislikes somebody is NOT jealous of them. I dislike hookers and terrorists. I sure aint jealous of them.

Cameron

Posted at 10:26 PM on May 3, 2012

Ya’ll are crazy!! Skylar’s country voice is perfect and she is drop dead BEAUTIFUL. Ya’ll know that you’re just jealous of her TALENT and BEAUTY because she was supposed to win this thing. An just cuz she’s from South shes NOT a hillbilly. I’m from Texas and I’m not a hillbilly, but Southern people have way better accents than people up North, just sayin.

Brandy

Posted at 2:27 PM on May 4, 2012

Cameron, nobody is jealous of Skylar. You’re probably kin to her. Get over yourself already.

Stacey

Posted at 4:15 PM on May 3, 2012

Jennifer Lopez should be fired for being such a horrible judge.

Angeli

Posted at 6:07 PM on May 3, 2012

Fire the three judges. So much hyperbole!

mm

Posted at 11:18 PM on May 3, 2012

Agreed.

Shannon C

Posted at 4:12 PM on May 3, 2012

Skylar Laine is the worst singer to ever make it to the top 24 contestants on American Idol. She sounds like a hick singing out of her nose. I like country music, but man, that girl just can’t sing well.

April

Posted at 4:33 PM on May 3, 2012

Right on. My thoughts exactly. I love country music but I wouldn’t take a c.d. of Skylar Laine’s home if somebody gave it to me nicely. Her voice gives me a headache. I want to cover my ears when she sings. Seriously. She is beyond annoying.

Angeli

Posted at 6:09 PM on May 3, 2012

Absolutely! I was shocked she made it to the top and still remains there. Totally irritating.

Joyce

Posted at 4:08 PM on May 3, 2012

Hollie is so pretty and she has such an appealing, smooth voice.

Derrick

Posted at 3:58 PM on May 3, 2012

It’s really funny to watch the different comments of fans of American Idol. In much respect to the comments, people have to understand that there are different genres of music (Opera, R&B, Country, Jazz, Hip Hop etc.) The people who BUY the music is what matters. This is my first time watching American Idol thru the whole season. What I don’t like is the judges wavering back and forth. Pick your favorite (which might not have been the best.) Or, when Jessica was about to be eliminated THEN it was vote for the best. It should always be vote for the best performance that week. While I definitely agree with some of you regarding Colton and Phillip marketability, I like talent! Skylar, Jessica and Joshua (even with his screaming and soulful diction which will get him in trouble.)are the best singers. I will pay for a cd from those three in that order. Joshua is talented never pitchy but I agree if R&B is where they see him, he won’t have a great career.

lolanyc

Posted at 1:07 PM on May 3, 2012

Skylar is ok.. I dont see her being that big of a star.. Shes liek Miley Cryus.. and where did she go?
Jessica is a great singer but shes dull, same with Hollie, amazing voices but id NEVER go see their concert. So unless they are banking on CD sales.. I dont know. Phillip is awesome I like his voice and his manerisms.. however hes been pretty dull lately.. same ol. I loved Colton! Reminded me of Jared Leto. He has talent. excitment.. I wonder if he can turn it into something. or will he be forgotten just like Pia.. where the heck is she??? ugh. I hope Josh or Skylar goes.

Karen

Posted at 12:47 PM on May 3, 2012

The writer of this is obviously biased . Hollie was not the best singer

Gunnie

Posted at 12:23 PM on May 3, 2012

You people wouldn’t know real music if it walked up and slapped you in the face! Phillip is the only artist on that show. Get real. And Hollie is without a doubt the least talented of them all.

Beaner

Posted at 3:07 PM on May 3, 2012

Gunnie…..have you lost your mind? Philip is real music? Did those words really come out of your mouth? He needs to sing and stop making faces and shaking like Joe Cocker…..you can’t take EVERY song and make it your own until you have YOUR own songs. He is going home…bye-bye P2. Without a guitar in his hand is is worse than nothing. Been hoping he goes home now for weeks. He sounds exactly the same no matter what song he is singing…he blows!

snowwhite150

Posted at 6:45 PM on May 3, 2012

Oh my…I soooo agree with Beaner….P2 a/k/a Dave Matthews/Dave Matthews (wanna be) cannot carry a tune in a paper bag!! He sang, “Time of the Seasons” by The Zombies last night…and he sounded like a DEAD Zombie indeed. The Zombies need to just come and take him away…the sooner the better. He might have “curb appeal”…much he makes my EARS BLEED….NOT a singer…no sirree!!! I like Hollie, Jessica, and Joshua. Go HOME Phillip!!! Skylar is annoying as well.!!

mm

Posted at 11:24 PM on May 3, 2012

Gotta agree with this comment about Phillip. It’s crazy that just because contestants bring a guitar to the stage, they’re suddenly “artists.” I would agree that he’s an artist if he stands out because of his talent but, as it is, he stands out because he’s, er, cute and, as per Jennifer Lopez, sexy. If there weren’t all those teenage girls voting for him, he’d have been out of here way ahead of everyone else. Gotta admire the voting power of the horny females and homosexual men.

Gloria

Posted at 11:40 AM on May 3, 2012

It is obvious that the author of this article is a Hollie fan… she is barely starting to get better because SUCKED before!!!!! get real

emoey

Posted at 12:47 AM on May 4, 2012

yah, i agree with you. : )

pinoy

Posted at 11:15 AM on May 3, 2012

I think what you want is about to happen, and that is JESSICA GOING HOME! i don’t know really. i didn’t see skylar got into trouble there that night but my fear of Jessica being sent home arises as the other finalist have chose a better song and improved.

the themes this week has hurt her a bit..specially with the Proud MAry.but you know, at least am happy you’re not being so hard on Jessica anymore, at least that something am happy about now with your article. the critic on her is very sound..

Loids

Posted at 11:14 AM on May 3, 2012

People keep saying Jessica should act her age,how could she if the theme is 1960.she has to sing a song that is really old.

JayCee

Posted at 1:24 PM on May 3, 2012

@LOIDS. I agree. Pls don’t expect Jessica to sing Justin Bieber/Taylor Swifts/Selena Gomez songs. She chooses songs that will show her vocal range and versatility.

lovely garcia

Posted at 10:01 PM on May 3, 2012

i agree with loids…..

mm

Posted at 11:26 PM on May 3, 2012

That is a very valid comment. I agree.

dee

Posted at 10:03 AM on May 3, 2012

I think they all have great vocal, but the one that has the best stage performance is Skylar. She will definitely have a sell out in concerts and a record sell out. Skylar is my choice and always has been. If I am going to pay big bucks to see a concert I definitely want my monies worth and Skylar will give you a show! Go Skylar!!!

Heather

Posted at 4:04 PM on May 3, 2012

Skylar is an idiot. She gets on stage and screams and jumps around like a fish that washed up on a riverbank. She is one main reason why this show is becoming more and more of a joke with each episode this season.

Arron

Posted at 10:07 PM on May 4, 2012

I totally agree! I don’t get how people find her annoying and irritating she’s the best one on Idol! And I dont care what people say I will always <3 Skylar :)

yelo

Posted at 9:56 AM on May 3, 2012

I agree with your reviews Russ.

Hollie is really good tonight especially with bleeding love, that’s stunning and breathtaking. I almost got a lockjaw on that performance. Ill download it now. A combination of beauty, voice, grace and youth; something thats worth finding not only in audio sources but in music video catalogs as well. Dont know but Im thinking bout Kty Peryy, Taylor Swift, Marilyn, Madonna, and Avril. Just hope she gets more height in the future lol.

I think Philip is not really consistent but doing that same old thing. I thought making songs your own is different from singing every song the same way. Thanks to the girls he’s still there.

I think Skylar’s 2nd song is good but yeah she sometimes sound screaming with that voice coming from the nose.

Jessica remains good as always but yeah her song choice does not fit the age. I think her voice at the 2nd song is her real voice (without getting it big) and it sounds better.

Joshua no doubt, is a good singer but he does not have that quality. He screams always except on the 2nd second. But he still screamed on the near end. His style is old school like a black girl doing that curvy voice exhibition. Its good to relive the style but thats not the type of singing that modern people are into and would like.

Liv

Posted at 8:49 AM on May 3, 2012

I hope skylar leaves to!! I’m so sick of her!! She’s litter ally driving me crazy every time I see her or hear her sing!! Josh Jess and Hollie did good as well as phill !!

Roxanne

Posted at 10:03 AM on May 3, 2012

I hope skylar goes home tonight. She seemed too confident that she will win idol. I just don’t like her voice period, sounds soo annoying to me.

Nickie

Posted at 4:05 PM on May 3, 2012

I agree 100%. Skylar is a nasally joke.

Veronica

Posted at 10:15 PM on May 4, 2012

I totally disagree

Bonnie

Posted at 8:19 AM on May 3, 2012

I really hope that Skylar goes home. She’s not half as talented as the other four and it would be a shame for her to stay and send someone with much more talent and potential home. Skylar doesn’t sing, she screams and her tone is downright ugly. Jumping up and down and screaming can only get you so far, time to go.

Nickie

Posted at 4:07 PM on May 3, 2012

Well said. So true.

countrygal08

Posted at 6:12 AM on May 3, 2012

russ “WEAK”land sitting besides hollies fans. Hollie wil be going h0me anyway and She IS N0 NEAR the voice of Skylar & Jessica. she’s very flat!

gbtw

Posted at 3:44 PM on May 3, 2012

i think out of the three girls, skylar’s voice has the least potential. when hollie and jessica are dead on, skylar is leagues below them. apparently hollie makes mistakes and doesn’t know as much about the music being presented to her- but, her voice is in a different league than skylar’s. above skylar’s.

KittyKat

Posted at 2:41 AM on May 3, 2012

I personally am sick of Joshua’s screaming and think its time for him to go home. The teeny boppers voting for now won’t buy his music because every song sounds the same. 10 screaming songs is too much for anyone. Skylars ego may have gotten to her this week. Surprise skylar it may be time for your departure. We’re tired of you. Phillip definitely should go because he can’t sing and frankly he’s creepy to watch. So there are my 3 bottoms. Wish they could all go home and get it over with.

Pat

Posted at 4:18 AM on May 3, 2012

Hey Kitty Kat…Why don’t you just stop watching the show? If all you can contribute is such negative feedback, then do yourself a favor and stop watching.

No one likes to listen to a big cry-baby and such a pathetic whiner. Perhaps watching “Wheel of Fortune” is more your speed.

Ex Parte

Posted at 4:44 AM on May 3, 2012

I AGREE ! KittyKat, it sounds like you just don’t enjoy the show. There’s no shame in that. In fact, lots of people probably don’t enjoy American Idol, so you’re not alone. You should put down the remote control and find yourself a new hobby. Or perhaps you can just turn off the TV and go out to a movie. Or read a good book.

Find something you enjoy…you’ll complain much less.

….. “meooow”

CHRIS

Posted at 6:31 PM on May 3, 2012

I think they should ALL GO except Ryan, he’s the most talented.

carroll

Posted at 6:23 PM on May 3, 2012

agreed joshua SCREAMS every song. . . and jlo should be fired for making such a ridiculous WRONG statement about Joshua – what what in her head – not much. I know the producers want all judges to praise the contestants BEYOND words. . .but she is the one who is CRAZY – he is not very good in my opinion . . .jlo says “insane” and “crazy” ad nauseum – and she shrieks her opinion and interrupts the other judges. . i have to fast forward during jlo’s critiques – done with her. They all are being paid enormous sums to praise and act like their singers are the greatest… not to me. I think everyone can name hundreds of singers better than her now favorite, Joshua. So many great ones – she did a disservice to. Shame on Jlo!

lovely garcia

Posted at 10:09 PM on May 3, 2012

i agree with carroll… joshua always scream when he sings….I am sick of Joshua’s screaming… The teeny boppers voting for now won’t buy his music because every song sounds the same. 10 screaming songs is too much for anyone. i think jessica is the most talented of them all…..

lovely garcia

Posted at 10:12 PM on May 3, 2012

very well said carroll…..i think jessica should be the next american idol….shes very good….