'Smash' First-Look Video: Karen Goes Gospel

Wed, May 2, 2012 10:05am EDT by 27 Comments
Smash Gospel Episode

HollywoodLife.com has your exclusive sneak peek of Katharine McPhee’s next show stopper.

Karen (Katharine McPhee) may not be ready to say “I do” to Dev (Raza Jaffrey), but the couple is still headed to the chapel on the May 7 episode of Smash. The Bombshell gang goes on a field trip to Sam’s (Leslie Odom Jr.) church, and for reasons I’m sure will become clear once we see the episode, Karen steals the show with a powerful gospel number.

Here’s my question: Why does Dev look like he wants to punch a nun? (Cheer up, guy! It’s a musical!)

Watch Karen testify below, then drop a comment with your best theory behind Dev’s long face:

— Andy Swift

More Smash:

1. Recap: Are Karen & Dev Officially (Finally) Over?
  2. Recap: Ivy & Karen Team Up Against Rebecca
  3. ‘Smash’ Officially Renewed For Second Season

Paul Richards

Posted at 11:01 AM on May 5, 2012

I don’t have a clue as to why Dev has that look on his face–all I know is that Miss McPhee continues to deliver performances that are literally “OFF THE CHARTS!!!”

This performance shows Miss McPhee’s talents are WIDE-ranging for sure!!! This gospel number is just RIDICULOUS…SHEESH!!! Katharine HAMMERS it and then some…you better check yourself if, after you listen to this performance, you’re not moved or inspired in any way.

I actually looked for the song because I wanted to listen the song in its ENTIRETY!!! Then I realized…duh!!! The episode hasn’t even aired yet.

CAN’T WAIT TILL MONDAY, IF ONLY TO SEE MCPHEE!!!

PR

Kourtney

Posted at 12:02 PM on May 3, 2012

I think Dev needs to lighten up. If he’s going to be mad at anyone, it should be himself for being such a douche and sleeping with Ivy. I think Karen needs to leave him. She is so talented and he is just trying to hold her back.

BoReD

Posted at 9:27 AM on May 3, 2012

idky they r in the church but it looks like she broke up with him right before going on stage

GoodbyeRebecca?

Posted at 8:00 AM on May 3, 2012

Why are they in a church in the first place? Putting this together with the main preview for next week –
Is this due to Rebecca’s untimely demise from allergy-to-peanuts-someone-puts-in-smoothie???

Paul Richards

Posted at 11:08 AM on May 5, 2012

It sounds like you have a problem with the cast ending up in a church….I mean, it’s not like the cast visiting a church is (for whatever reason) crazy. I mean, if you saw the cast visiting the moon in the next episode, then I’d be worried!!! LOL I’m sure all will be made clear when the episode airs…and, OMG, Katharine KILLS it!!! SHEESH!!!

Titina

Posted at 10:45 PM on May 2, 2012

Well… Let me tell you.
Dev did indeed sleep with Ivy and you will see it next Monday night. There is a preview of the episode on you tube and they definitely wake up in a bed the morning after without their clothes on. So yeah.. That pretty much sealed his fate with Karen I hope.
Karen needs to wake up and dump him ASAP. Use Derek now Karen! It´s about time! I think he really likes you unlike the other girls he´s been with.

Gina

Posted at 10:03 PM on May 2, 2012

Dev is upset that Karen is no longer his little beck-and call girlfriend anymore. Back when she was getting nowhere with her career he was happy she had something to occupy her time and yet she was still available for when he needed “arm candy”, etc. He felt superior. Now that he basically has no job and she is the one with the excitiment going on in her lifr he is pouting and wanting to be entertained. I mean come on how does a man that smart no hear “We are working 10-10p and are sooooo busy” but yet thinks its a good idea to goto Boston and show up at rehearsal wanting to see her?!! then he gets all righteous when she can’t come out and play right now PUH-LEEZ!Not her fault she told you her the schedule he is just all guilty about almost banging Miss Mumbai who has been practically dry humping him for wks now(slut!!) He is just not the center of her world anymore and can’t hack it. BTW did I miss something? When the hell did DEV sleep with IVY? they had a drink and a bit of a conspiritrual moment and that was it I thought. The whole Derek/Rebecca thing is EWWWW though!

Titina

Posted at 10:45 PM on May 2, 2012

Well… Let me tell you.

Baylee

Posted at 8:01 PM on May 2, 2012

I think that Dev is just pissed off that she is still able to go and have fun instead of wallowing in misery like he is, especially after he proposed to her. Dev thinks that Karen is completely in love with him and could never be with any other guy, so he is just pissed that she turned him down and went on her marry way. He wants her to be sobbing her guts out for him, but I have news for you Dev, when she finds out you cheated, she will be glad to have you out of her life!

tw

Posted at 7:51 PM on May 2, 2012

Better question is Why is Dev there at all?

Bianca Brookes

Posted at 7:05 PM on May 2, 2012

I remember that I was there as a BackGround Actor. I loved the guy they hired to be the preacher

groucho

Posted at 7:03 PM on May 2, 2012

I’d say Dev is finally realizing that his girl belongs up in front of a crowd singing her heart out, that’s what she needs to do and what she’s good at, and if he can’t get his ego out of the way and let her do that she’s out of his life for good, which may be happening anyway. He may just be having one of those “lightbulb” moments. Or he may have just realized that he’s screwed up things royally and hopelessly already, and this is what he’s lost, and it’s killing him. How’s that?

Danielle

Posted at 11:55 AM on May 3, 2012

I agree. I thought the same thing watching this that he just realized this is where she is suppose to be.

Muttsy

Posted at 6:10 PM on May 2, 2012

It’s like the scene in The Jolson Story where Al Jolson’s wife is sitting in the audience and she realizes that he loves being on stage more than he’ll ever love her.

Titina

Posted at 6:05 PM on May 2, 2012

The song was amazing! Karen did an amazing job.
Dev is feeling guilty but he is just a selfish pig! He slept with Ivy! Knowing who she was!
Karen needs to know the truth ASAP and dump him like now. Poor girl when she finds out she is gonna die. Hopefully she can use Derek for once!
IMO Karen might just be the only girl who can change Derek´s womanizing ways! Love their chemistry together.

christine

Posted at 5:52 PM on May 2, 2012

sorry but dev needs to go to DC and live his life and let karen go.

Andy Swift

Posted at 6:01 PM on May 2, 2012

In the spirit of this video, I’ll say Amen to that.

Linderella

Posted at 10:06 PM on May 2, 2012

Make that a double Amen!

jess

Posted at 5:47 PM on May 2, 2012

I like Katharine McPhee but she doesn’t really have enough of a powerhouse voice for gospel.

Kizzee29

Posted at 6:28 PM on May 2, 2012

I have to agree with Jess, Katherine McPhee has an amazing voice, but gospel clearly is not her strong suit. There was probably someone in the choir singing backup, who could have sung circles around her on that particular song. But, she is the star, so what does one expect?

Maria

Posted at 5:44 PM on May 2, 2012

He’s feeling guilty because he’s a jerk who slept with Ivy. Evil!

Andy Swift

Posted at 6:02 PM on May 2, 2012

I’m surprised he was even able to walk into the church without bursting into flames.

Jessica

Posted at 5:39 PM on May 2, 2012

I would guess Dev’s issue is guilt.

Katherine McPhee has a gorgeous voice. I love her more now than ever thanks to SMASH.

marta

Posted at 5:21 PM on May 2, 2012

this girl can SING!!!
What a triple threat — sing, dance & act!

WTG Katharine!

Andy Swift

Posted at 5:43 PM on May 2, 2012

Just like Marilyn ;)

KarenisbetterthanIvy

Posted at 12:31 PM on May 2, 2012

Amazing, Ivy pork dumplings could neva!

janey

Posted at 12:07 AM on May 9, 2012

McPhee fans are diligent. I’ll give them that.