'Idol' Finalist Phillip Phillips: I Don't Care If People Like My Music

Tue, May 1, 2012 7:24pm EDT by 5 Comments
Phillip Phillips

This ‘American Idol’ hopeful tells HollywoodLife.com he’s more interested in making music he enjoys, than making music that sells!

Don’t expect any of Phillip Phillip‘s singles to go straight to the top 40’s charts! The American Idol contestant told Hollywoodlife.com exclusively he’s not focused on making music that will dominate the radio. He says his number one priority as a musician is to make music that is genuinely his style, and not to conform to a style that is popular.

“I’m not trying to do something I’m not. I want to get people prepared for the kind of music I will do. It’s not probably going to be mainstream or anything,” Phillip told us May 1about his music style.

Phillip says just because songs are number one sellers on iTunes, doesn’t mean they’re great quality music. Despite being on a mainstream music competition, he wants to prove that he can make music that is more focused on skill and structure, rather than what is catchy and popular.

While we appreciate that Phillip doesn’t want to sell out as an artist, we hope his anti-mainstream mentality doesn’t prevent him from winning the competition. Tell us what YOU think! Do YOU admire Philip’s principles or think that he should conform to what people want to hear?

Nicole Fukuoka with reporting by Kirstin Benson

Loading video...

Carol

Posted at 11:53 PM on May 7, 2012

Why’s he acting like he’s made it already in the music business? He sucks, if you ask me. And I’m tired of his girly smile and contorted faces.

annette greene

Posted at 2:34 PM on May 6, 2012

Skylar was the winner by far but since she went home (big mistake) phil is the one to win now. america must have taste out the yin yang by voting the way they do. i love phil and the other are just awful so now that sklar is gone, if phillip goes home, i will never watch idol again

Donna

Posted at 6:26 PM on May 4, 2012

Agree! Just more people trying to make a big story out of twisting words! I can’t understand all the negative stuff spreading on the Internet about this guy! Are they so worried an original artest might win the show? It’s been moving in that direction for years. As the teenyboppers have grown up and in some cases moved on to other shows, I think you have an older demographic that really can appreciate music and not just some radio one hit wonders. And picking on his girlfriend is so wrong!

Keith

Posted at 1:02 PM on May 4, 2012

The cool thing is that we won’t ever know about his music since he sucks so bad. That makes his non-concern even less important. Seemingly being an arrogant bastard, this should satisfy his “artist” cred. It is over for him in a week anyway. Votefortheworst dot come can’t keep him on forever.

Leigh

Posted at 7:26 PM on May 2, 2012

Okay, he never said ‘I don’t care if people like my music’… he said this “The more people realize that number one hits aren’t the best songs. Whoever likes my music, they like it. If they don’t, there’s so much other music out there to like. I’m not expecting everyone to like my music,” Phillip said.

This writer made it sound so different than what he really said… like he was trying to make Phillip sound bad and stir something up. Geesh!