So Sad — 'Bucket List' Baby Dies

Tue, May 1, 2012 6:19pm EDT by 11 Comments
Bucket List Baby Dead

After touching the hearts of many with her brief life, Baby Avery died from pulmonary complications due to spinal muscular atrophy, the genetic disease with which she was born. We hope her legacy brings more attention to this rare disorder.

Avery Lynn Canahuati, or the “Bucket List Baby,” died today, May 1, at just five-months old.

Baby Avery was born with type 1 spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), an incurable genetic disorder. Remarkably, instead of keeping the heart-wrenching diagnosis private, Avery’s parents, Michael and Laura Canahuati decided to spread awareness about SMA through their touching blog Avery’s Bucket List.

In the blog, the Texas couple chronicled every moment their family shared. Written by her parents in Avery’s voice, it crossed off items such as Avery’s first Easter, a trip to college, a first kiss, and a tea party. The blog went viral with 2.4 million page views.

However, after a five-month struggle, Avery succumbed to the disease. “Avery’s passing this quickly came as a complete shock to all of us, as she had just been given a thumbs up at her last doctor’s appointment only three days ago,” her father wrote in a post today.

Michael wrote that Avery’s lungs collapsed and she went into cardiac arrest. He performed CPR and brought her back to life but she died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

“While we were aware of the severity of her diagnosis, we never lost hope for Avery and even in her passing, we still have hope for our daughter and all of her friends,” Michael wrote.

Avery lives on in our hearts. We’re wishing the family strength during this emotional time!

–Lorraine Chow

More HollyBaby news:

1. Jessica Simpson Gives Birth To Baby Girl Maxwell Drew Johnson
  2. This Four-Year-Old Girl Wears Makeup: Is She Too Young?
  3. Sarah Jessica Parker’s Matching Twins Hail A Cab — Cute Pic

construccion

Posted at 9:04 PM on May 19, 2012

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right. This publish actually made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

gina solow

Posted at 11:01 PM on May 8, 2012

So sad…my heart is heavy!

car title loan fort mill

Posted at 4:44 AM on May 3, 2012

I am no longer sure where you are getting your information, however great topic. I must spend a while studying more or figuring out more. Thank you for great info I was looking for this information for my mission.

kiersten

Posted at 12:11 AM on May 3, 2012

me and my family are very sry to hear about your loss. i know we dont know each other you are all in are thoughts and prayers. we hope all will be ok for you and we all know you will be very strong. god bless. rest in peace baby Avery, u will be missed and loved always.

Cailin

Posted at 9:18 AM on May 2, 2012

I’m very sorry for Avery’s family. They had 6 months with Avery. I’d give my right or left arm for that. I can’t have kids because of a doctors mistake and there is nothing I can do. I’d love to have a child of my own for any period. Fostering is v hard esp when CPS won’t cover older kids. I took in 2 teens in CA and CPS said they couldn’t afford to cover them, their mom was a meth user and homeless. I had them for a year but still wasn’t their Mom. Adoption takes 5 to 10 yrs. Pls remember us on Mothers Day. RIP Avery, God bless her and her family.

Karen

Posted at 4:37 PM on May 2, 2012

Callin- you are remembered, Happy Mother’s Day

Rikki Randall

Posted at 9:18 AM on May 2, 2012

I cannott even begin to tell you how much i feel for you. Im sorry for your loss and even though i dont know your daughter ill always remember her story. God bless

Alice

Posted at 6:25 AM on May 2, 2012

You will stay forever in our hearts. It was an inspiring stories of yours. Stay stronger than ever. RIP baby Avery.

Alice

Posted at 6:18 AM on May 2, 2012

I’ve read your blog about your little angel and I was really touched. I was crying while reading it. I am very sorry for the loss. Always remember that God gave you that challenges and God wants to know if you are strong enough to face any challenges in your life. I hope you will stay strong no matter what happen. Your daughter is now in good hand without pain. Always treasure the moment that you have been together. I hope you will continue inspiring us. And encouraging people to be aware of SMA.

too sad

Posted at 12:34 AM on May 2, 2012

rest in peace baby girl!my heart goes out to her family!

TorontoGirl

Posted at 8:38 PM on May 1, 2012

I’m so sad to hear that….My heart goes out to the family.