This Four-Year-Old Girl Wears Makeup: Is She Too Young?

Mon, April 30, 2012 4:41pm EDT by 6 Comments
4 Year Old Makeup

Every little girl admires her mommy’s cosmetics, but one mom lets her daughter actually use adult makeup! What do you think about that?

Lindsay Cross, blogger of Mommyish.com, recently wrote about her four-year-old daughter Brenna‘s obsession with adult cosmetics, which led to a discussion about how young is too young for girls to be interested in beauty.

The mother’s reasoning behind permitting her young child to apply make-up is that it is allows them to bond, but never expected the repercussions from readers, she told ABC News on April 30.

“When I wrote the piece I didn’t think it was that monumental of a deal,” Lindsay told ABC. “I didn’t think that it was something that was just too out of the norm … I did notice some articles that said ‘Suri Cruise wears very bright lipstick,’ and there were so many people who were critiquing their parenting choices, because this 5-year-old is wearing make-up. I was like – ‘of course she does, she’s 5 and her mom wears lipstick.'”

The mom reassured viewers that Brenna’s makeup applications are just for fun. When her daughter is out and about, she doesn’t even wear noticeable makeup — no red lipstick, eyeliner, mascara or foundation!

“I think that with makeup, for her, it’s a way for her to be like her mom. I don’t think that she puts two and two together, where you have to wear make-up so that you can present yourself to the world,” she said.

Her daughter said make-up makes her “pretty,” but Lindsay insisted that she will deal with the matter seriously when her daughter is older.

HollyMoms, what do you think of a 4-year-old wearing make-up? Is it too young?

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEO!

More HollyBaby News:

1. Jenelle Evans & Kieffer Delp Are Officially Back Together
  2. Maggie Gyllenhaal & Peter Sarsgaard Welcome Daughter Gloria Ray
  3. Backstreet Boy AJ McLean Is Going to Be A Dad

Carol

Posted at 6:59 AM on May 12, 2012

Seriously?!?!? You people think this mom is saying her daughter isn’t pretty enough? My three year old gets into my makeup all the time. We got her some play makeup in her stocking and she loves it. We never let her wear it out of the house, but she is just trying to do what every child does and be like mommy. Kids learn about the world from the things we do, little girls put on makeup because mommy does. If you want to go and argue that no body needs makeup because we ll should be considered beautiful yadda yadda yadda…. That’s your opinion, fine, but if makeup makes me feel prettier I’m going to continue to wear it, and if my 3 year old wants to play with it and I can teach her about appropriateness of certain things at certain ages then all the better. What our children play with in their own homes ( that’s not dangerous) is up to us and none of your judging selfs business. Get a life!

Nativemommy

Posted at 10:26 PM on May 6, 2012

My four year-old puts my makeup on all the time. Not foundation but eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick, blush, and a little powder too. Does she leave the house with it on? NO! Does she apply it correctly? NO! Does she say “I beautiful mommy!?! YES! I don’t care, because it washes off and she gets to do something on her own to show me and get a smile or a laugh. Too many people make it seem that all kids are going to grow up too fast. It depends on what they are exposed to everyday. This make-up game my daughter plays was started with grandma and continued when we moved away to help her remember the things she did with grandma, we added putting on princess dresses and my dress shoes(flats). If someone told me that what I was doing was wrong, I would punch them and tell them to ruin their own kids, mine is enjoying her childhood just fine. Think before you speak not everyone is a TOTS IN TIARA’S MOM! When I was a kid my grandma let me put on her makeup and we played dress up too! I rarely wear makeup and when I do it is mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick or gloss, when I put it on my four year old exclaims “Ooo mommy your eyes are so beautiful!”

Jojo

Posted at 3:10 PM on May 4, 2012

I think that this is ridiculous. By allowing her daughter to wear make up, she is saying that her daughter isn’t pretty enough with out make up. Do we really need to continue to convey to our daughters that make up is the only way to be pretty?

helllokitty2142

Posted at 8:34 PM on May 1, 2012

If they’re just playing then it’s okay.

hannah

Posted at 8:58 PM on April 30, 2012

i used to always do my 3 year old nieces make up. its fun!

Shalaylayboqusha