'Vampire Diaries' Season Finale First Look: Why Is Elena Crying?

Thu, April 26, 2012 7:32pm EDT by 43 Comments
Vampire Diaries Season 3 Finale

A weepy Elena gets comfort from Caroline in this brand-new still from the May 10 finale.

Everybody loves a good action scene, but sometimes the best moments on The Vampire Diaries are the quiet ones, like this one between Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Caroline (Candice Accola) on the May 10 season finale. But what’s behind Elena’s tears? Another rejection by Stefan (Paul Wesley)? Another ultimatum from Damon (Ian Somerhalder)? Or maybe, given the episode is titled “The Departed” and features flashbacks of the people Elena loved and lost, she’s just getting nostalgic.

Why do YOU think Elena is crying? Leave your best theories in the comments section below!

— Andy Swift

martiy

Posted at 8:53 AM on August 21, 2012

why elena cry is this,she is in love wit the two salvatores,confused on how to go about it.she does not want damon to feel dejected.anyway i luv the team stefena.damn delena.

Fiji

Posted at 6:51 PM on May 17, 2012

Elena cried becoz she was doing wht Katrine did to d Salvatores bt unlike Katrine she wasnt havin fun @it.

CHRISSY

Posted at 4:29 PM on September 15, 2012

THATS TRU

Ana

Posted at 11:18 PM on May 16, 2012

I love the story!! But I absolutely HATE that Elena chose Stefan… I mean poor dammon its always like this, This is making me start to dislike the series.. Katherine should go to stefen and dammon with elena! Fine make it hard for dammom to get Elena but at the END actuallly make them be together they are destine for each other!

Rachel

Posted at 4:40 PM on May 16, 2012

Is there going to be any more episodes I can’t bear the thought of not seeing the gang anymore especially Damon oh an stefan and Tyler and of course Matt god and Alaric maybe klauss but he’s dead now pls tell
Me its not over yet !

Rachel

Posted at 4:31 PM on May 16, 2012

Who cares what happens to any of them just as long as Damon is constantly on our screens it doesn’t matter, so damn hot !!

Mary T

Posted at 3:14 PM on May 16, 2012

Okay yes Stefan had his chance but think about it look at how much they have gone thro together. Deffinitly more than any of us have been thro i mean come on in a month pierod Elena figured out that her best friend is a witch and her boyfriend is a vampire and that her boyfriends brother is also a vampire. But i dont blame her for chosing Stefan. They have the relationship that everyone wishes they could. And Damon might not be over kathrine so for all we know Kathrine could come back and get in the middle of Stefan and Elena or Kathrine will go back to Damon to get Elena jealous so for all we know this could work out but that love that Stefan ans Elena have is unbreakable and they proved that in the seasons ending. And not to mention why does Damon deserve her Stefan left bc he didnt have a choice and he bit Elena and tried to kill himself bc he felt so bad. And with Damon hes always turning his back on her whenever Elena says the wrong thing when Damon first told Elena that he loved her. He went and slept with the one person he knew that Elena hated.. so in my opinion Damon dont deserve a chance. At all. So im for Stefan and Elena.

Rahebe

Posted at 4:08 PM on September 9, 2012

I don’t want a relationship like stelena! I don’t want a cliche romance I want adventure, danger not just some guy being around and tell me it’s up to u, it’s ur choice,etc I want him to protect me and be powerful.

San

Posted at 7:48 PM on May 11, 2012

So if it’s like in the book, SHE’LL BE A VAMPIRE!

Tammy - Lynn

Posted at 8:42 PM on May 10, 2012

Hi guys I am just curious about the last part of the episode of the departed does Elena become a vampire? If so that would be so awsome because she would make a real good one.

sophie

Posted at 12:44 AM on May 11, 2012

She doesand i think it wouldbe aswome ifshewas like bella just without the powers

lilly

Posted at 12:53 AM on May 12, 2012

spoiler! its a sad and intense last episode but finally what everyones been waiting for. yes elena is turned into a vampire, accidentally.
elena also makes her choice of the two brothers and decides to pick stefen because she met him first and loved him first. But also revealed is never before seen meeting of elena and damon where of which he compelled her not to remember, but now shes a vampire she will ..

Natasha

Posted at 1:51 PM on May 10, 2012

I think that Damon and Elena should be together. Stefan had his chance already, I think deep down that he loves Katherine and knows it but for Elena’s sake he didn’t want to admit it. Stronger and better love is when your best friends too and that’s what Elena and Damon have. Katherine & Stefan; Damon & Elena… Delena Fan All The Way! I also think that she will probably have vampire blood in her system from the hospital, since Meridith does use vampire blood to cure patients or Stefan’s blood. When her and Matt go over the bridge she’ll die and be a vampire.

Jess

Posted at 3:12 PM on May 9, 2012

I think that Stefan had his chance several times and it’s Damon’s turn there won’t be much to the show if neither of them are with Elena I mean the story line is about protecting her and if there is no love story with the main characters what’s the point!!! Team delena!!!!

Lilly

Posted at 12:57 AM on May 12, 2012

agreed!I have watched the last episode and if your team delena youll love it, even though she makes the choice to go back for stefen based on the fact she loved him first, a never before seen scene shows that actually she started falling for damon first but he compelled her to forget

Lisa

Posted at 6:51 PM on May 8, 2012

First of all i love love VD. Now, they can’t make Elena turn into a vampire. The cliff hanger at the end of the episode could be that Elena and Matt crash off the bridge and Elena had Stephans blood in her system to heal her before hand.. but she doesnt die… I mean she cant turn into a vampire yet,,, then mostly all of the main characters will be vampires except for Bonnie and Matt?idk but i just hope they don’t make her into a vampire.The show VD is around Elena and keeping her safe. Now, where would the show go from Elena being a vampire???

susan

Posted at 12:46 AM on May 7, 2012

Well people,I love Damon to death..Those beautiful eyes,lol woow. Any how I think Damon should get Elena,he’s always been there for her when stephan took off and left her side..And the pic is Elena flashing back bout how life was when her parents were alive and life was simple..Thanx Andy for the pic and stuff,keep posting stuff please, we appreciate it..

Ash

Posted at 10:03 AM on May 5, 2012

Elena dies, and this is a flashback moment by either her or Caroline.

Ash

Posted at 10:07 AM on May 5, 2012

Actually, looks like once again they’re choosing not to follow the storylines from the books and are dragging everything out :/
Apparently this is the synopsis from the finale..
“Determined to protect his sister, Jeremy makes a decision that will change everything. In the harsh reality of the present situation, Elena longs for simpler times when her parents, Grayson (guest star Jason MacDonald) and Miranda (guest star Erin Beute), and Aunt Jenna (guest star Sara Canning) were still alive and her biggest concern was her relationship with Matt. Stefan and Damon leave Mystic Falls together on a mission, but soon split up when Elena needs one of them. Caroline and Tyler are forced to make a life-changing decision. Finally, Bonnie makes a secret deal that has heartbreaking consequences.”

shrina

Posted at 10:22 PM on May 3, 2012

ok i do understand that elena is confused but she has to learn what love is and she has lost alot of people in her life.she needs to get out of their life because all of them will get hurt in some way if she chooses one salvatore.what i think is that stefan is made for katrine but he loves elena and damon is made for elena but he still kind of has feelings for katrine. stefan-elena-stef/damon-kat/ele-stefan. grrrr… this is so confusing and i cant see damon’s feelings get hurt again and stefan was never always with elena damon was always willing to be her friend no matter what.

Jenay

Posted at 6:46 PM on May 2, 2012

The writers need to get a clue and do something about the character writing of Elena.I don’t blame the actors I blame the writers.The only way that Elena and Stefan belong together is their incessant whining.I mean seriously I am so over those two and their mutual brooding.The writers are just doing those two people a great disservice.

Liz

Posted at 4:24 PM on April 27, 2012

Caroline is dressed up like she is going to a party and Elena looks like she is ready for family game night and remember Elena telling Stefan that she skipped family game night for a party so Elena being the emotional character she is is prolly crying bc she can’t go to the party but under the blanket she is ready to sneak out… Definetly a flashback

Sam

Posted at 1:18 PM on April 27, 2012

I’m jumping on the Elena should be alone bandwagon and that Damon and Stefan should be alone or at least not chasing Elena. I hope next season Elena is by herself for quite some time. I’m over triangles and I would love to see Damon and Stefan bonding more.

Ingrid

Posted at 7:46 AM on April 27, 2012

Maybe because she knows that either way she will hurt one of the brothers and I think she depends on them both.

Jo Jo

Posted at 2:09 PM on May 4, 2012

I Think they should have Katherine come back. She loves Stefan and I think down deep he loves her too. So Katherine and Stefan can be together and Elena and Damon. There no one is left out.

Lilly

Posted at 1:05 AM on May 12, 2012

good point, but dont you think (based on the charactors personallitys) that katherine is to rebal to be happy with just stefen and stefen is morally to good for katherine. damon however loves to be rebal and him and katherine would be and interesting couple to watch, and elena and stefen would be a cute innocent couple, and he would do anything for her, let her make her own decisions and make her happy.

would be funny to see them all double date aswel :L

Sienna

Posted at 4:58 AM on April 27, 2012

@Toyna Maybe she cries a lot because, oh I don’t know, she’s lost her biological parents, her adoptive parents and her aunt. Oh wait, would you prefer if she’s robot who’s immune to emotional situations? Please know your facts well before you say something ridiculously as that. It’s embarrassing.

@Andy Swift Okay, so judging from the picture it looks like she’s wearing the same outfit where she’s with her parents. So, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say this is a flash back scene? Back when vampires hadn’t entered her world. As to why Elena’s crying, I think it’s because she had a fight with Matt, hence why Caroline’s comforting her. Thanks for the pic & article, Andy. I appreciate it!

Veronika

Posted at 8:20 PM on April 26, 2012

What I’ve learned with TVD is you can guess on the finale all you want but it’ll always shock you :D
But maybe she’s missing the simple life she had before…

Kristina

Posted at 8:19 PM on April 26, 2012

Well I’m hoping it’s out of joy that she realized Stephan is the one and has been all along! That’s all I keep watching the show for!

H

Posted at 7:02 AM on April 27, 2012

Lol

lily

Posted at 8:16 PM on April 26, 2012

Vote robsten and twilight at 2012 MTV movie awards

Neka Dangel

Posted at 7:55 PM on April 26, 2012

Some ppl are just bitter & arrogant. They love 2 trash on others that’s in a better position than them. Nina(Elena) doesn’t care what ppl think she is already where is she. & have it all. So I don’t see y small minded ppl love 2 throw others under the bus! Y so that they can feel better about Dem self it’s pathatic. I love the Vampire Diaries & I respect very one that’s on it. They just act their role they didn’t write the scrip so if she is suppose to cry in all scene then that’s what she is going to do cry. Too bad for who don’t like it!

sara

Posted at 8:11 AM on May 5, 2012

Oh my freakin gosh please learn english.

Ashley

Posted at 7:51 PM on April 26, 2012

I think she’s crying because Alarick just died and he was like a father to her and she could tell him anything

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:53 PM on April 26, 2012

That’s a definite possibility…

tonya

Posted at 7:43 PM on April 26, 2012

Maybe because all she ever does is cry about something. Heres an idea stephan and damon both move on and forget elena she aint worth it. And she definitly dont deserve either guy. Go cry a river some where else. So over the tear fest.

Andy Swift

Posted at 7:50 PM on April 26, 2012

brenda

Posted at 6:50 AM on April 27, 2012

Agree on thar fk elena my damon needs to.fight someone who is worth it
….4 stefan I don’t care about him he is a dick