'American Idol' Recap: Is Phillip Phillips In Danger Of Elimination?

Thu, April 26, 2012 2:25am EDT by 31 Comments
Phillip Phillips

It was Queen night for the Top 6 and that part of the night really rocked the house! But when the ‘Idol’ hopefuls had to choose their own songs, they for the most part crashed and burned.

It must be music to the ears of producers of American Idol that most likely a girl will win this year’s show. Let’s be honest, now that Colton Dixon is gone and Phillip Phillips had a rough night, it should be a easy road for some of the remaining girls. Plus, it’s safe to say that female American Idol winners have had quite a lot of success! (Can anyone say Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood?) Now, let’s get down to business: who shined the most in a night full of ups and downs?

Jessica Sanchez:

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ by Queen: The infamous death spot of singing first was given to Jessica, as she started the show with arguably Queen’s most popular song ever. At first I liked it and she really had me, but when the floating Jessica Sanchez heads appeared behind her, I started laughing in my chair. I was sitting immediately next to Brian May, legendary guitarist of Queen so I contained my laughter enough and tried to get back to her performance. I just couldn’t get back into it and was distracted by all the other stuff on the stage. I really have to agree with Steven Tyler when he said, “Rock isn’t your forte”. It wasn’t a bad performance, but was not the game changer it could of been and started out to be.

‘Dance With My Father’ by Luther Vandross: This song should be heart-wrenching, but I just didn’t feel it from Jessica, who sang it for her father who will be going overseas to serve in the military. This song is actually about a dead father and wanting to see him again. When the Idols get to pick their own songs, it really goes astray. Jessica needs to do a song that shows she is young. She needs to try singing Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato or Miley Cyrus. She’s 16, not 78 years old. Its time for her to grow as an artist, but she seems to be standing still — which will not get her in the finals. Jennifer Lopez said, “That may have been the best I’ve heard that song sang.” I couldn’t disagree more. Luther Vandross sang the song perfectly because he had legitimate emotion behind it. Regardless, she is safe for another week.

Skylar Laine:

“Show Must Go On” by Queen: This was simply the best performance that Skylar has done all season. She should almost sometimes separate herself from country and attempt songs like this because it was a complete home run. The performance, the song and the whole package was perfect. This gave her the chance to falter in the following round because this was so good. For anyone else, this song would have been a risk but she did it so effortlessly. She made her performance very memorable. I have to agree with Randy Jackson when he said, “That was incredible”.

“Tattoos On This Town” by Jason Aldean: With being a country artist and coming off her greatest performance of the season, this song should have been a cake walk for Skylar. Well, let’s just say that it didn’t really go as well as it should have. J. Lo mentioned, “In the end you took us there again.” But the problem was everywhere else was a bit of a mess. This could have been Skylar’s breakout night, as her first song was spectacular. However, she brought us back to earth…but she should be safe for at least a few more weeks. If she can grab the lightning she had with the “Show Must Go On,” she will win American Idol. This second performance scared me a little bit. We shall all see what happens…but the potential is there.

Joshua Ledet:

“Crazy Little Thing Called Love” by Queen: Joshua is good, but there are other Queen songs that he could have had a lot of fun with. This seemed a little weird and when I was looking over to Brian May, he seemed to agree with me. If a member of Queen wasn’t signing off on it, I really will stick to my instincts. The judges with their endless standing ovations want him in the finals, as they loved it, but I don’t think he should have that opportunity to be in the finals. There are better contestants. It’s more than just a voice and he just doesn’t have the total package. I think he should have done “Somebody To Love” as that could have had a great mix of rock and choir. Not his worst, but not of his best.

“Ready For Love” by India.Arie: He is continuing the trend that this year’s Idols pick horrible songs. It was leaps and bounds better than his Queen performance, but I don’t agree with Randy Jackson who said, “I’m so speechless.” It was far from epic, but a good enough performance to keep him in the show for another week.

Elise Testone:

“I Want It All” by Queen: Elise really is a rock girl at heart and this song actually gave her the chance to throw some of that out to the world. This song was written by Brian May and he was really loving what he was seeing during the performance. You never know what Elise is going to bring from week to week but this was a solid performance. Jennifer Lopez chose her words wisely when she said, “It was natural, it was sexy.” This is the Elise that should continue and make records in the future. Good work on this song. She could be safe.

“Bold As Love” by Jimi Hendrix: This was a horrible performance. Elise really had momentum that completely took a nose dive with this performance. It was a complete mess. Jennifer Lopez liked the performance saying, “You slayed that song.” But she killed it in a bad way. This could really be the week that she finally goes home. It’s too bad but she has really overstayed her welcome and this Jimi Hendrix song may have done the trick.

Phillip Phillips:

“Fat Bottomed Girls” by Queen: Phillip has been able to do any wrong this season, but tonight was probably his worst set of performances to date. Even though the judges were fairly positive about his performance, it almost seemed pitchy to me. Plus, Stephen complimented him on the way he ran out of breath, but over all, I thought it was distracting. Phillip should steer clear of Queen in the future. Not a good fit for him.

“The Stone” by Dave Matthews Band: All season long, Phillip has been compared to Dave Matthews, so I expected him to slay this song (in a good way). While it wasn’t pitchy or anything, it just was too abstract for American Idol. I’ll be shocked if Phillip isn’t in the bottom three tomorrow. He had his worst night of the season.

Hollie Cavanagh:

“Save Me” by Queen: This was the equivalent of singing Michael Buble‘s “Home.” Simon Cowell would have had a field day with this one. He would have ripped into her pretty good, I think — but I have to agree with Randy who said, “It was a good performance.” I have to stress on the word good because it was far from great. However, she might be safe since Phillip wasn’t at his best tonight.

“The Climb” by Miley Cyrus: Great choice of song here, which shocked me as once again the Idol hopefuls don’t often pick good songs for themselves. This performance and being last of the night should save her for at least one more week. She did something young and fun and didn’t try to be the Diva. Lets say it all together with Randy, “Hollie is back!” Good way to end the show.

So HollywoodLifers, who will be in the bottom three and more importantly who will go home? Sound off below!

Loading video...

Russ Weakland

cum sa faci poze,cum fac poze,cum sa faci fotografii

Posted at 12:13 PM on June 12, 2012

I do trust all of the ideas you’ve introduced for your post. They are really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are very quick for starters. Could you please extend them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

Blog de fotografie al unui fotograf din bucuresti . Nu ai cum sa nu il stii , deja se aude ca 30% din traficul facebook cunoaste Seremi-Studio ca si blogul de fotografie cel mai bine structurat din Romania

Posted at 5:03 PM on June 9, 2012

This is really interesting, You are an excessively skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and sit up for looking for more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks

mac office 2011 product key

Posted at 12:11 AM on May 25, 2012

naturally like your website however you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to tell the truth then again I will surely come again again.

windows 8 review

Posted at 2:21 PM on May 19, 2012

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue along with your site in web explorer, might check this? IE still is the market leader and a large component to people will leave out your great writing because of this problem.

A Lentz

Posted at 6:50 AM on May 3, 2012

After Joshua’s Ledets racist remark, It’s apparent he’s not someone I care to be a star. He’s a wonderful talent, but his attitude is poor. This show is about talent and winning, but not about race. He apparently has a problem, and its not jiving here with many here where I live. He lost my vote, no matter how good he is. NOt any more in my book will I consider him a contestant. He needs to diversify his thouhts and learn to be around people, of all races,and get along, even when you dont like someone, race or other wise. Joshua you lost many votes, hope folks woke up and see the real you last night.

Bliss

Posted at 9:42 PM on May 3, 2012

What racial comment did Joshua make?

Linda Dolan

Posted at 10:40 AM on May 2, 2012

I think that by far Phillips Phillips is the most talented competitor on Idol this season. He is more concerned with his music than he is with fitiing into some kind of rockstar mold. He will be a star whether he wins this competition or not. I hope he wins this round and I will certainly vote for him!

Brenda

Posted at 7:05 AM on May 2, 2012

I live in South Africa and don’t miss an episode of Idol. I absolutely love Phillip Phillips. He is a winner in my eyes. Good luck Phillip

Eric

Posted at 11:22 AM on April 29, 2012

The real problem I have here is that this dude has dogged both of the contestants that all the judges have given high praise. Even the guy that coaches both Jessica an Joshua sees them as potential finalists. Who are you to contradict those who are getting paid to know something? Are you even a musician dude or just another self appointed expert?

Teri

Posted at 3:54 AM on May 4, 2012

well said.

Eric

Posted at 2:06 AM on April 29, 2012

Who is this guy writing this article? Dude, all I can say is I’m glad you’re not a judge On AI. Cuz your opinions are just off. You’d do best to write articles without trying to be a judge. Cuz you suck at it.

Cheryl

Posted at 11:21 PM on April 28, 2012

Joshua Ledet is the best of the bunch. Phillip, sorry to say, is the worst. I don’t get what people like about his singing. Still, I hope he feels better and has a wonderful career some day.

Bliss

Posted at 9:50 PM on May 3, 2012

Philip is very very unique. he has some similarities like elvis. the way he gets into the music is incredible. he doesnt try to be anyone that hes not. hes 100% himself. aside from all that, his voice is amazing. whether you can recognize it or not. clearly he captures the audiances attention. he is my favorite! :) since his audition i have liked him the most. hopefully he will win

Anonymous

Posted at 3:06 AM on April 27, 2012

Lol you are such a sore loser jessica and joshua are and will always be the best singers in the competition! Your a racist whos gonna be sorry next week when they really go home they suck and so do you you moron!

pinoy

Posted at 12:23 AM on April 27, 2012

58 million votes when before it was 53, who the do you think the increase is getting the support TO =P WE WILL NOT BE PERSUADED INTO NOT VOTING HER, the hate has waken a lot of bluejays and will keep on voting for her until we are outnumbered..in Votes..

pinoy

Posted at 12:23 AM on April 27, 2012

Oh, RUSS, you’re doing a reverse Psycho thing now huh? you state of fear of Phillip getting eliminated so that others will rally to support him. because you’re endorsement of COLTON became a REAL KISS OF DEATH. you all bashing and trashing Jessica has made the fan base strong and gathering more support behind her.

Dyhan

Posted at 10:33 PM on April 26, 2012

Oh shoot, Jessica didnt go home yet. Josh needs to follow her out the door too. Hollie,skylar and Phillip to final 3. I am sick of the Josh and Jess Show.

yelo

Posted at 10:00 PM on April 26, 2012

hey Russ, I agree with almost all your comments today. Very good analysis. . .

K.M.

Posted at 5:51 PM on April 26, 2012

Nobody did bad but the best goes to Phillip, Skylar and Elise. I totally disagree about your comments on Phillips. Listen to the studio version of The Stone… amazing. I am glad he isn’t the stereotypical American Idol singer. I also do not care if he wins or loses there are pros and cons to both … I just can’t wait for his album to come out with some original songs.

Jen

Posted at 1:48 PM on April 26, 2012

the floating heads thing is ONLY cool when Queen does it. I laughed at Jessica’s background too. I’m getting sick of Elise. Hollie was good but I think she might be in danger. Phillip might be in danger, but I have a feeling people might rally to save him and probably voted like crazy. From here on out, whoever goes home it will be the “most shocking” because each is talented in their own right.

Piper

Posted at 1:39 PM on April 26, 2012

Phillip was the only one who made Queen sound good. I loved his songs. He is the only one standing out in the crowd.

michelle

Posted at 12:31 PM on April 26, 2012

Could not disagree about Phillip Phillips more. He was awesome and his DMB song blew everyone else away…. There are DMB fans that watch idol so when J LO says no one knows the song…Wrong…I know more DMB songs than I’ll ever know of hers……and to bash him because his style is like that of Dave Matthews would be the same as bashing every hip hop artist, because frankly, all that stuff sounds the same…

gbtw

Posted at 1:16 PM on April 26, 2012

you are not mainstream ai. jennifer was right, but also, so was steven (who said he was sort of on the fence, or something like that, about people picking popular/known song choices). steven said, basically, ‘maybe they should just pick their songs and sing them and let america decide if they want to hear that or not’- instead of jennifer, who basically said, ‘pick a song america likes so that they’ll vote for you and you’ll get to the end and THEN get to do what you want’. two different theories… i tend to go with steven, but i don’t think jennifer is wrong. it’s just a strategy to try to “win” the competition. but, if they’re artists, the goal can be different than just winning…

gbtw

Posted at 10:35 AM on April 26, 2012

pretty much with you on all today russ. i love jessica, so actually voted for my first time for her- b/c i think after the night she had, she needs it. that three headed monster in the background was WRONG, and somebody should be fired for it. that said, i think she is going to be a phenomenal talent, and i want to watch her for longer b/c i like the spin she puts on songs (usually). she should’ve done cyrus song… having hated elise for awhile (despite her good voice), i was impressed by her tonight. i still don’t like her attitude when being criticized (did you notice how she was with randy? and talking back to steven about the fact that mainstream ai doesn’t know hendrix?), and i wouldn’t vote for her or go out of my way to purchase her stuff. she has a career, but i’m not a fan. philips doesn’t care about this competition. he should just go home and get ready for his future low key stardom as a dm type dude. holly doesn’t have the grit yet, but i’d be happy to watch her perform a week longer than philip. i liked joshua, but also didn’t like the queen song choice… too karaoke/cheerleader-y, ‘let’s get this party started’-y to me. i think they have to be a little deeper than that to keep going in this competition. i do think skylar could win this thing, and country is going to love her regardless… i’m sort of bored of country, so i’m a little ambivalent about her, but i will not be upset if she wins it all.

Teri

Posted at 4:00 AM on May 4, 2012

Last season…and this season, you’re right. The background designer should really get fired.

Let Jessica do a Cyrus song and see half of her voters give up on her. Not Cyrus, that’s dumb, more Beyonce, more mainstream R&B because that’s where she belongs.

Sharon Jones

Posted at 9:42 AM on April 26, 2012

I agree!! I do NOT want Phillip to go home tonight.

Hannah

Posted at 9:27 AM on April 26, 2012

I dont want phillip to go home! His raspy voice and simple personality have interested me from his audition. I cant think of anyone else that should deserve to go home but phillip should stay! This was his first off night and it was mostly just his second song choice. I agree with randy that his artistic choices should not change but he should just chose more Popular and exciting songs that can get him intothe finale. Im rooting for you phillip!

tealonyx (@0101jyj)

Posted at 7:14 AM on April 26, 2012

joshua is nothing if not consistent..in a night where all contestants had one awesome performance and another not so great performance ..joshua’s two solid performance made him stand out..he might not have had the best performance of the night, but he definitely was the best overall performer of the group!

philphillips05

Posted at 5:40 AM on April 26, 2012

jessica singing miley cyrus or demi lovato? c’mon she’s better than that…duhh nice suggestion hahaha

Claire

Posted at 8:20 AM on April 26, 2012

I totally agree. Jessica should NOT be singing Miley Cyrus or Selena or even Demi lovato. None of those artist’s songs would show off the strong voice that she has!

gbtw

Posted at 10:38 AM on April 26, 2012

lauren alaina sang cyrus and jimmy said she did it better than miley… that someone’s voice is better than the original, is okay. i think jessica would take a cyrus song and have the crowd either on its feet, or in its chairs spellbound. she could’ve done a lot better with it’s a climb than hollie- and she would’ve tapped into the younger audience in the process, while keeping her older more mature fans (like me).