Demi Lovato: I Proved My Haters Right By Going To Rehab

Tue, April 24, 2012 3:45pm EDT by 16 Comments
Demi Lovato Interview

Demi revealed in a new interview that even though she fulfilled a too-common child star destiny, she’s SO glad she found help.

Demi Lovato has always been honest about the pressures she felt in the limelight. In a new interview, she opens up about her experience and recovery process in rehab.

Demi, 19, fessed to TeenChoice on April 23 about how she felt “embarrassed” and “like a failure” for going into rehab.

“I just proved everybody right — any of my haters that said I was going to go to rehab,” she said. “I just let a lot of people down, but I realized that by getting help I wasn’t letting anyone down. I was getting a lot of respect.”

Recent headlines have also revealed that she experimented with cocaine as a way to cope with her depression.

Demi felt she was “gaining respect” for going into rehab and that it ultimately changed her life.

“I feel almost like I’m treated more like a human being now,” she said.

What do YOU think about Demi’s road to recovery, HollywoodLifers?

–Lorraine Chow

More news on Demi:

1. Demi Lovato Reveals Why She Tried Cocaine: I Was Depressed’
  2. Demi Lovato Shows Off Her Sexy Bikini Body — New Pic
  3. Demi Lovato’s New ‘Fabulous’ Photo Shoot

Skyler

Posted at 12:52 AM on March 31, 2013

I love Demi. I think she is setting such a goog example for girls evrwh

Olivia

Posted at 12:06 AM on March 31, 2013

Demi you are truly a strong women. You did the right thing and I love you for that. keep spreading the inspiration!!! You are truly amazing(;

Stephany

Posted at 6:19 PM on October 17, 2012

shes so nice and sincer and she shared her story with the world i think thats the biggest story of all times

sl short

Posted at 1:39 PM on June 16, 2012

you are truly one brave girl Demi..going to rehab and staying there. My son was a meth addict, and by the grace of God and rehab, he is beating the demons….I wish I could tell you how good and special you really are….S

ALEYA

Posted at 8:21 AM on May 3, 2012

I have a tons of respect for her, she’s so down to earth and talented,
SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WOMAN, STAY STRONG DEMI I love you.

carly

Posted at 12:21 AM on April 30, 2012

demi lovato has surly became a true inspiration. she did the right thing of saving herself. i dont think she has let anyone down i think she has just gained more respect and a lot of girls out there can relate to her. demi helped me realize i need help, i am just to ashamed to get it. stay strong demi!!! <3

A

Posted at 7:25 PM on April 26, 2012

Demi did the right thing! She could have died!! All of u people who think she’s week, she ISN’T u r. Just for saying she is. It took courage to go to rehab!

c

Posted at 11:15 AM on April 25, 2012

she doesn’t deserve anyone’s respect.. weak.. such a poor role model for kids..

Gaby

Posted at 10:47 AM on April 25, 2012

LOVE DEMIIIIIII

ADMIREEEE DEMIIII

DEMIII US THE BESSSTTTTTT

Evan

Posted at 3:54 AM on April 25, 2012

Stop obsessing with others. Stop obsessing with your haters, with the ones that gave you drugs, stop victimizing yourself, take responsibility for your actions and STFU!

lovatic!

Posted at 7:36 AM on April 25, 2012

if what she says makes you angry then you can simply ndt read the article! she has already taken responsibility for her actions and she has gone through very tough times that i really hope it’ll never happen to you!!! so stop being mean!!!

Gaby

Posted at 10:49 AM on April 25, 2012

Well saaaiiiddd ,)

I LOVE YOUUU and DEMIIIIII now! haha :))

Gaby

Posted at 10:46 AM on April 25, 2012

Thats exqaavtly what she has donee! U odioottt!!!!

LOVE DEMOOII

Andrea G

Posted at 5:09 PM on April 24, 2012

LOVE DEMI

LOVE DEMI

LOVE DEMI

LOVE DEMI

LOVE DEMi

Gaby

Posted at 4:55 PM on April 24, 2012

iii LOVEEE and ADMIREEE this womaaan!! With aaallll myyyy ~<<3333333

DEMI is the MOST TALENTED and SELFLESS artist out there!!!

LOVE YOU DEMIIIIIII

JAZMIN ARCE

Posted at 1:12 PM on October 18, 2013

shes super talented and AMAZING WOMAN SHES IMPIRE ME AND SAVE ME SHES ONES OF THE BEST EVER AND SHES A ROLEMODEL TO THE GURLS THAT HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE HARD TIMES SHES DOING THE RIGHT THING: AND NO HATING HER SHES ASWAEOMEE