'Gossip Girl' Recap: Blair Ruins Dan's Big Night, Plus 4 More 'OMG' Moments

Mon, April 23, 2012 10:03pm EDT by 26 Comments

Blair completely embarrasses herself, Carol’s finally put in her place, Serena deals with daddy issues and Nate helps Chuck with the Diana madness.

Even though Blair embarrassed herself, everything happens for a reason right? Today’s dairsaster will turn into a sweet chairytale. I’m sure of it.

Poor Blair! The Queen B was dubbed “low brow” in New York Magazine’s “The Approval Matrix” for having a more disastrous marriage than Kim Kardashian, while Dan received a “high brow” title for his second book. This understandably almost gave Blair (Leighton Meester) a heart attack. Naturally, Blair came up with a plan to make herself look “high brow” to the press once again.

Blair decided that donating money to the literary organization that was recognizing Dan and inducting him in the New York Public Library’s hall of something was the perfect solution. Sounds good on paper and would have been fine if she did it in a more tasteful way. Secretly she was hoping when word got out about her donation, the press would be more focused on her kind gesture instead of Dan’s recognition. This was not the case, and when Blair realized her plan was falling apart, she tried a different one which included self-humiliation and interrupting Dan’s speech and making it her own for no reason.

Blair, you definitely crossed the line with that one. And it’s not because you ruined Dan’s speech, but it’s because you  looked like a desperate fool. But hopefully after watching a preview for next week’s episode, her epic fail will bring her back to her one and only Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick).

And here are my ‘OMG’ moments:

#1 Dair break up and make up

After Blair’s disastrous attempt to be dubbed “high-brow,” Dan was upset and left her at the party. Later on though Blair visited him at his Brooklyn apartment to ask for forgiveness. Dan gave her a sweet pep talk and all good was good in the dairborhood. But it doesn’t look like that will be the case for much longer…

#2 Lily and Rufus split
Dan and Blair weren’t the only ones on the rocks tonight. Rufus (Matthew Settle) left Lily (Kelly Rutherford) indefinitely because her lies involving Chivy and Lola.

#3 Carol Goes To Jail
Finally! An end to the evil sister’s madness. As we learned a few episodes back, Serena’s dad Keith (Billy Baldwin) is actually Lola’s dad. Keith had an affair with Lily’s sister Carol which is why she hired Chivy (Kaylee Defer) to pretend to be Lola. However, Serena and Lily didn’t know about this, so when Serena found out and told her mom — Lily turned Carol in for all of her wrong-doings.

#4 Diana Payne Is Not Chuck’s Dad
All this time Chuck (Ed Westwick) was searching for his mom — he should have been searching for his dad! Apparently, Jack Bass is not his uncle, but his FATHER! To be continued…

Which leads us to next week’s amazing episode where Chuck and Blair team up together to find out the truth about Diana Payne. I can’t wait!

What did you think about tonight’s episode, HollywoodLifers? Weigh in below!

– Nicole Karlis

– More Gossip Girl

1. Blair Waldorf: When Will You Realize Chuck Is A Changed Man?
  2. ‘Gossip Girl’ Recap: Chuck’s Secret About Blair’s Divorce, Plus 4 More ‘OMG’ Moments
  3. ‘Gossip Girl’ Preview: Serena & Blair Team Up Against Gossip Girl

harum scarum

Posted at 6:00 PM on April 25, 2012

definitely believe blair’s epic fail happened for a reason (other than horrible writing) dan’s speech was important, i admit that even thought i don’t ship dair. hopefully this means real blair is coming back to us and with real blair comes CHAIR! <3

gg lover

Posted at 5:18 PM on April 24, 2012

call me crazy, but isn’t serena’s father’e name william? not keith?

GGFAN

Posted at 3:17 PM on April 24, 2012

I love chair even after this episode. Every time Dair fights I am like yeah!! And then they get back together!! What the heck. I can wait for next week. At least it looks like there won’t be a ton of Dair. It also looks like Blair has come to her senses and is starting to help chuck. I can’t wait for next week to see what happens. Chair is complicated and hard. Dair is simple an easy. Let’s face it Blair will get bored and go back to chuck most likely before the end of season. Where is Dans opinion on the way Blair is????? I mean they practically hated each other in high school. Like seriously???? CHAIR FOREVER!!!

Nira

Posted at 2:57 AM on April 24, 2012

Blair and Dan are Joey and Pacey of our Generation

natalie

Posted at 2:34 AM on April 24, 2012

really.. you guys liked dair? it seems to me blair was the star of the show. she was basically involved in everything. now if i didnt know better i would have guessed she was an supporting actress. her screen time is not relevant to anything. If those scenes werent there, i would not have missed them.

latunalover

Posted at 12:41 AM on April 24, 2012

I am surprise that there is dair love in here. I thought there will be dair hating but I was wrong. Dan speech show me how much he grew up since season 1

Kendallf

Posted at 12:29 AM on April 24, 2012

Why ship dair when they are gonna break up? And Dan is a horrible boyfriend. You are not a true chair fan if you you are jumping on the dair ship after this episode. Chuck is better for Blair than Dan.

Michy

Posted at 12:47 PM on April 24, 2012

Dan is an awful boyfriend?? Chuck is better for her?? Ahah is that real life?

“I don’t like who I’ve become with you”
“Better bored than ashamed of myself.”
“When I saw how happy you and Vanya are, I realized how unhappy I am.”
“you thought you could buy me back, just like you thought you could sell me for your hotel.”

That’s enough??

Eliza

Posted at 12:15 AM on April 24, 2012

Dan Humphrey is seriously the best boyfriend in the world…I want one for myself!

wendy

Posted at 12:14 AM on April 24, 2012

we support love, we support Dair, that’s how real love looks like

Anna Lisa

Posted at 12:14 AM on April 24, 2012

Blair and Dan have something that I want in my life, true and simple love

charlotte

Posted at 12:04 AM on April 24, 2012

omg, chair used to be great and awsome, but WOW has dair won me over!

Kendallf

Posted at 9:49 PM on April 25, 2012

Lol dair is awful it needs to stop.

Dairbaby

Posted at 10:58 PM on April 23, 2012

Dair <33333

Hazel

Posted at 10:57 PM on April 23, 2012

Ok, I just cant believe myself right now. I am falling for Dair and as much as I love Chair, I think Blair and Dan are so beautiful together. Dan loves her so much and he cares about her. I think I am in love with Dair

Kendallf

Posted at 12:32 AM on April 24, 2012

If your falling for dair then you never shipped Blair in the first place.

Kendallf

Posted at 12:35 AM on April 24, 2012

I meant chair not “Blair”

Hazel

Posted at 1:04 AM on April 24, 2012

Sorry love, I dont care anymore cause I’ve tried so hard to dislike Dair but Dan really is so good with Blair. He makes her so happy adwell taken care of and I care about Blair the most. SO hence, I might have jumped ship now. Dair <3 …People need to get over shipping obsession and give a couple a chance

Kendallf

Posted at 1:40 AM on April 24, 2012

I already gave them a chance. I will never ship Blair with someone she had horrible sex with. So I don’t care what Dan says to Blair or does for her. Blair is gonna break up with Dan and that will show that Blair is not happy with with. No woman can be happy with a man she is not in love with and who can’t even satisfied her in the bedroom. after 5×18 Blair doesn’t even want to cuddle or have sex with him anymore.

Btw if you do care about Blair the most then why are shipping dair? Do u really think they gonna last? If so, then your delusional.

Hazel

Posted at 2:32 AM on April 24, 2012

Bad sex? that was jus the first time, then they have been happy all along. Just cause they dont show them having sex every episode doesnt mean that they arent having any. Your way to superficial, and Sex is only a small part of a relationship. I bet your a virgin anyway, still in middle school having a delusional view of love.

Jessica

Posted at 3:05 PM on April 24, 2012

Hazel How rude of you so what if the Girl is a virgin not everyone give themselves over to men so easily. Im 18 in a few months and I’m still a virgin some people want it to be a beautiful moment.
which shows that your probably a still child yourself if you think losing your virgins makes you grown up, well it doesn’t. So please grow up and use your brain.

Carla

Posted at 10:55 PM on April 23, 2012

Dan’s speech to Blair moved me so much. He is the defination of a perfect boyfriend. i have been denial about Dan and Blair for so long cause I ship Chair, they are truly amazing with each other. I think I love them more and more everyweek.

Jessica

Posted at 3:10 PM on April 24, 2012

When Blair was with chuck she was herself she didn’t have to change for him. But she had to Change for Dan, she though all along while she was with Dan she was her self but she has come to realize that she is not. BTW Dan took advantage of Blair’s weakness before they were dating she was lost, she didn’t know what to do any more, she was scared to lose everything, he didn’t remind her of her strengths then, he didn’t tell her she was strong, she wouldn’t lose everything. No. He told her she’d still have him instead.

He let her resign to the idea of losing everything, of being powerless even though he knew all these wonderful things about her. Never reminded her of them. He didn’t help her at all she was crumbling and he just stood back and let it happen, Now that they are a couple he gives her a pep talk I don’t by it.
Also how in the world will he find who she is for her he can’t do that only Blair can find herself, I think Blair needs some time on her own away from men because she always depends on them to help her.

latinalover

Posted at 10:50 PM on April 24, 2012

She is herself when she is with dan.

Kendallf

Posted at 5:46 PM on April 25, 2012

You guys are so clueless. Blair just admitted that she is not herself in episode 5×21.

Kendallf

Posted at 9:22 PM on April 25, 2012

Oh dan and Blair amazing together

Blair ruined his spotlight.

Had horrible sex.

Blair refuses to kiss her own boyfriend

Dan falls for her when she is less herself.

Never made sacrifices for each other.

I could go on is this what you mean by them be amazing together?