Two-Month-Old Dies After Dog Attack

Mon, April 23, 2012 1:47pm EST by 8 Comments

A rescue dog mauled a sleeping two-month old boy to death on April 20 in South Carolina.

Two-month-old Aiden Lee McGrew of Ridgeville, South Carolina was innocently sleeping in a baby swing in his home on April 20 when a dog attacked him.

The baby boy was transported to Summerville Medical Center where he was pronounced dead after the dog bit and dismembered him.

When the dog attacked, his father and three-year-old sibling were asleep when it happened, wistv.com reports. It wasn’t until the mother came home after taking her 7-year-old child to the doctor that she found her mauled infant.

“Today is one of the saddest days in my 20 plus years of being in the Dorchester County Coroner’s Office as I report to all of you, one of the worst deaths I have ever handled,” Dorchester County Coroner Christopher Nisbet said in a press release.

The couple’s two other kids are in the custody of The Department of Social Services. The investigation is still in progress.

What a tragic story!

HollyMoms, always use caution when you have animals around small children.

Watch the video here!

More HollyBaby News:

1. Giuliana & Bill Rancic: We’re Expecting A Baby
  2. Mother Gives Birth To Twins While Brain Dead
  3. FBI Is Searching For Missing Etan Patz 33 Years Later

Kate

Posted at 2:49 AM on April 26, 2012

I just feel like crying for the baby and the family. Granted the father did a really STUPID thing by leaving the baby where a dog could get to him, but I just think when you’re sleep deprived like I think he was, you just don’t think straight and sometimes you do dumb things. Unfortunately for baby Aiden, it lead to his tragic death. I feel badly for the father and mother as well, how can you live with yourself after making such a stupid decision that caused the death of your child? I know that I always relive my mistakes and regrets in life and I can’t imagine living through that nightmare. I pray for the family and little baby Aiden.

Laurie

Posted at 2:02 AM on April 25, 2012

No I’m not a blonde…WTF does that have to do with anything? If YOU were intelligent, you would know that you don’t ever leave a dog unattended around a baby. They are, in essence, wild animals by instict. Like I said..it is not the dog’s fault – it is the people’s fault for not supervising adequately.

LykeKandii

Posted at 5:37 PM on April 24, 2012

The dog should be put dwn! Obviously something is wrong with him eating the baby. He must have been a family dog bc y else would the father of left the baby unattended with his infant? I’m pretty sure he was sure that wouldn’t happen but shame on him for leaving the precious bby unattended. I have a two month old and I would never leave him unattended around any animal! Family pet or not u just can’t do it, anything could happen. Lord bless the family! My condolences

Laurie

Posted at 12:23 AM on April 24, 2012

Sure hope they didn’t hurt the dog…it’s not his fault.

neka.

Posted at 2:58 AM on April 24, 2012

You hope they didnt hurt the dog? You must be a blonde. No its not the animals fault, he was acting on instinct. however it is obviously dangerous and needs to be put down asap. Praying for that babys family

Megan

Posted at 7:28 AM on April 24, 2012

Will they put the father down for neglect? What idiot goes to sleep with a baby in a swing? Say the child died because of being left in a swing unattended, would they blame the swing manufacturer and not the sleeping father?!? Unbelievable!

Shannon

Posted at 5:42 AM on April 24, 2012

They will have to put the dog to sleep.
Regardless of whos fault it was, once an animal attacks a human, there is a likely probability it will happen again.

Really?

Posted at 12:01 PM on April 24, 2012

REALLY? Did you just say that? Think about that baby being innocently attacked, screaming and no one came to his rescue while that dog was hurting and ultimately killed him.