'Once Upon A Time': August's Identity Is (Sort Of) Revealed

Sun, April 22, 2012 9:18pm EDT by 29 Comments

Spoiler alert: Stop reading if you haven’t watched this week’s ‘Once Upon A Time!’

Kathryn’s (Anastasia Griffith) return to Storybrooke may have proven Mary Margaret’s (Ginnifer Goodwin) innocence, but as we saw on the April 22 episode of Once Upon A Time, it also raised the stakes for everyone in town. Not only are things looking even more bleak for David (Josh Dallas) and Mary Margaret, but Regina (Lana Parrilla) and Mr. Gold (Robert Carlyle) are back at each other’s throats: Who exactly is working for who now?

OK, now let’s talk about the really annoying part of tonight’s episode: You know, the part where we were all led to believe August W. Booth (Eion Bailey) was Mr. Gold’s son — until the very end. Apparently after Rumpelstiltskin became drunk with power in the fairy tale world, his son was given a magic bean by the Blue Fairy as a means of escape. But because Once Upon A Time can’t leave a fairy tale un-bastardized, the beanstalk was replaced by a giant glowing wormhole. Rumple’s son went through to the world without magic, while Rumple stayed behind, determined to find a way to get him back.

Back in Storybrooke, we were given a heartfelt reunion between “father and son,” complete with man-hugging and big swelling music. The moment, of course, was spoiled when August tried to use Rumple’s magic knife to control Mr. Gold, which led him to realize that August wasn’t his son at all. It turns out he’s just a sick guy who needed magic to cure him — and he happened to be very well-versed in fairy tales.

And what of Storybrooke’s star-crossed lovers? Despite David practically begging Mary Margaret to take him back, she told him it can’t happen. The moment he believed she killed Kathryn was the moment she stopped seeing a future with him. I might get some hate for saying this, but am I the only one tired of this couple’s whining? I didn’t support them as adulterers, but now that they’re free to go about their business, M.M. still finds a way to screw it up? Get over it, lady. Between the box, the knife, and the fingerprints, you did look really really guilty!

The hour ended with Sidney Glass (Giancarlo Esposito) “confessing” to kidnapping Kathryn, though Emma could tell he was clearly covering for Regina. She was so sure, in fact, that she finally stood up to the mayor and told her she’s taking Henry (Jared Gilmore) back!

It’s about damn time.

What did you think of this week’s episode? Were you disappointed by the giant fake-out they pulled with August? Do you agree that David and Mary Margaret need to quit their whining? And who do you think Mr. Gold’s son REALLY is? Hit up the comments section with your best theories!

— Andy Swift

Arianna

Posted at 11:13 AM on April 27, 2012

August Wayne Booth initials are ( A.W.B)= A Wooden Boy. Pinocchio.

Jay

Posted at 10:08 PM on April 24, 2012

So… Why did August seem so surprised to find out there was no magic in Storybrooke when he knows all about everyone and the situation? Because there is magic. Mr. Gold was lying. He hasn’t found his son because he isn’t in Storybrooke. The clock beginning to tick when Emma arrived, the fact that nobody can leave Storybrooke (except Emma), what happened to the mad hatter? Maybe he fell into his hat. Magic. I have no idea who August is, but I do not think that he is Pinnochio. Why would they give the answer away in a preview? I also don’t think that he is Mr. Gold/Rumplstiltskin’s son. I am so frusterated!

Amy

Posted at 4:34 PM on April 23, 2012

Ok, who IS Mr. Gold’s son!!!! That episode ALMOST made me cry. I am going to be REALLY upset if they do not tell you who Mr. Gold’s REAL son is by the end of this season. :(

Krista

Posted at 1:50 PM on April 23, 2012

Hmm I believe Baelfire was on the phone with August and that he is somehow connected to Henry (i.e.. Henry’s father.)

Teri

Posted at 8:18 AM on April 23, 2012

August = Pinocchio
Baelfire = Henry’s dad
Of course MM and David can’t get it together. They will be the last couple to reunite before the curse is crushed for good. Cinderella and her prince might finally be engaged, but that little trinket from Henry is going to be the closest MM gets to wedding bells for a long while.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:41 AM on April 23, 2012

This is my face right now:

:-O

I never considered Baelfire could be Henry’s dad, but it actually makes perfect sense! He’s the child of two people born in the fairy tale world, but living in the real world. That explains why he’s so in tune with both!

Sherry

Posted at 12:56 PM on April 23, 2012

I never considered Baelfire could be Henry’s dad because Emma would have recognized him. It’s only been what… 10 years? She couldn’t have been *that* drunk. You don’t forget what the losers in your life look like…especially when they father your child.

Krista

Posted at 1:53 PM on April 23, 2012

It makes sense in that Mr. Gold arranged the adoption of Henry by Regina and we have yet to see grown Baelfire or Henry’s dad. Plus, Mr. gold is interested in all things Emma and Henry.

Kimberly

Posted at 1:58 PM on April 23, 2012

Baelfire was not August, no one for Emma to recognize.

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:50 AM on April 24, 2012

Emma still hasn’t come face-to-face with Baelfire yet. We don’t even know if he’s in Storybrooke (and, actually, my guess is that he’s not.)

Samantha

Posted at 5:48 AM on April 23, 2012

to everyone saying that Emma should have taken henry back by now… uh how exactly could she do that? birth mothers do NOT have rights 11 years after they give their children up for adoption…. now, granted, if she could either 1, convict regina of something or 2, get something to hold over regina’s head and use it as leverage to force regina to sign back over custody of Henry, that’s a different story. But just because she’s his birth mom doesn’t mean she coulda just walked in their from day one and got him back.

i figured august wasn’t baelfire, i thought for like a second but then as soon as mr gold started believing it, well i realize it all happened too quick and no way would he find his son again that easy. i’m glad it wasn’t him because i’m hoping *somehow, although i’m not sure how or even if the writers could come up with a reason for doing it* when he finds his son, he’ll still be young, won’t have aged like the rest of them… otherwise it’s just still so sad cuz even if they find each other it’s not the same…blah.

i’m goin for pinnochio. i don’t think there’ll be two fake-outs…besides, just because they showed a fast clip of him doesn’t mean everyone’s going to make the connection. some ppl are real slow

Sherry

Posted at 1:05 PM on April 23, 2012

Keep in mind that Bae might have aged considerably. He went to the world of no magic a long time before the Storybrook curse was created and didn’t have the benefit of the “no time passing” paradox. Time didn’t start moving forward for anyone in Storybrook until Emma came to town.

I’m not quite convinced it is Pinocchio. I feel the writers can do better than that.

Chuck

Posted at 8:55 PM on April 23, 2012

Although Rumple’s and Baelfire’s story took place years before Snow White was even born, who is to say that Baelfiire couldn’t have come out through the portal at anytime in our world’s past or future. He could have arrived here in 1411, 1776, 1984, 2006, or in the near future in 2014.

My guess is, in season 2 we will see Rumple determining the time and place of Baelfires arrival in our world – which Rumple will use as a reference point when he creates the curse that The Evil Queen ultimately uses.

Mary

Posted at 1:07 AM on April 23, 2012

I think it was Baelfire on the otherside of that phone call August got.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:40 AM on April 23, 2012

Not Henry?

matthieu

Posted at 4:39 PM on April 23, 2012

yes i agree, i thought it was Henry…

bitchstolemyremote

Posted at 12:47 AM on April 23, 2012

In our review (search for our name), we talk about how since it’s Jane Espenson writing, it’s no surprise that there’s a reversal of expectations (she does that a lot). I kinda liked it because it would have been too obvious, though it does leave us with yet more questions.

Just wish that this close to the end of the season the show would move away from the character centric pieces and move things along. It’s the same conflict we’ve had all season between Emma and Regina: when is someone going to finally act on their threats to make a move?

Lenny

Posted at 12:28 AM on April 23, 2012

I don’t think August is Peter Pan based on the fact that Horowitz and Kitisis still haven’t gotten the rights to use Him yet. In the beginning of the episode (and in the past), August is laying in bed and tends to stiffen up. This could point to two things: One being Pinoccio, but possibly not due to upcoming episodes, and two, it could also possibly be the Tin Man from the wizard of Oz (oil can shown inside of Mr. Gold’s pawn shop). But then again, I could be wrong.

Sherry

Posted at 12:58 PM on April 23, 2012

The Tin Man is an interesting theory… they certainly have enough disembodied hearts floating around! Perhaps he is dying of heart trouble? Must think on this more…

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:52 AM on April 24, 2012

I thought they had the right to use any Disney-licensed characters, including Peter Pan. The Wizard of Oz would be cool if they made season 2 more Oz-focused.

Tanya

Posted at 10:36 PM on April 22, 2012

Great episode I think MM and David are sometimes to up played … I love when this story progesses in the Fairytale world but it seems like they get doomed in our world which I guess is the point since its the curse.

A lot of people guessed that August was Baelfire though the writers always want you believing you know what’s coming and then BAM you don’t. So now then where is Golds son? I wonder if he is in that dungeon with Belle…? Only time will tell I guess.

Emma sure took awhile to finally want Henry back… she should have taken him back first episode lol

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:51 PM on April 22, 2012

Yeah, I’m surprised Emma hasn’t threatened to take Henry back sooner. I feel like she lost her chance at this point.

Kimberly

Posted at 2:06 PM on April 23, 2012

I don’t think he is in the dungeon. It only makes sense for Baelfire to be outside Storybrooke, he came through before the curse so he is not confined by the curse. August being Pinocchio makes sense because P isn’t a real boy, he can come and go, but would also explain why he is dying, no magic to keep him together. As for breaking the curse, Baelfire may or may not want it broken, if it is broken his father goes back to being evilly corrupted by power, breaking his father’s power may be the only way to both break the curse and save his father. I like the idea the other end of the phone call was Baelfire, and Baelfire being Henry’s father would explain why Henry can come and go because he also is not part of the curse because Emma went through the portal before the curse was cast.

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:53 AM on April 24, 2012

I’m confused… Baelfire CAN’T be Pinocchio.

Pinocchio is Pinocchio.

If Baelfire was Pinocchio, he would have been made of wood in the fairy tale word, which he clearly wasn’t.

Am I crazy?

MrsMiaBennett

Posted at 10:18 PM on April 22, 2012

I am glad that he is not Gold’s son. The preview wants us to think that he may be Pinocchio, but I think that will not pan out either… I think we will get a real twist in this story line and I can’t wait for it to be truly revealed.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:51 PM on April 22, 2012

Yeah, the commercial definitely wanted us to think he’s Pinocchio. But I’m thinking someone else. Maybe… Peter Pan?

Hope

Posted at 10:02 PM on April 22, 2012

This show is messing with my emotions/mind. First I thought I was smart when I connected August being mr.golds son. Then the same episode Rumple figures it out then I realize NOPE that wasn’t his son at all.

Then first I hate rumple then I like him then I feel bad for him then I hope August stabs him then I feel like rumple should kill August and now I feel like Rumple created the curse just to find his kid. AWW

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:50 PM on April 22, 2012

I have to admit, I can usually predict how the episodes will end, which is why I wasn’t surprised to learn that August was Gold’s son. But then when we found out he wasn’t, I was more annoyed than surprised. What an unnecessary fake-out!

Kimberly

Posted at 2:14 PM on April 23, 2012

But isn’t it nice to watch a show that isn’t so old hat that you can predict what will happen to each character, including dialogue? I enjoy that part of the show almost as much as the comments after. All the speculation is fun and proving it right or wrong is part of the fun. As for the fairy tales being twisted, again isn’t it nice to not have a pat answer?