'American Idol' Rigged? Colton Dixon Should NOT Have Been Eliminated

Fri, April 20, 2012 1:04am EDT by 111 Comments
Colton Dixon American Idol

Colton Dixon was one of the favorites to win this season of ‘American Idol,’ so how the heck did he get voted off April 19?

Maybe all of this was in part my fault. After Elise Testone talked back to Jennifer Lopez on American Idol April 18, I was nervous she was going to irk America, so I spent my time saving her from elimination — totally assuming Colton Dixon would come out on top.

The 20-year-old Tennessee native had a strong night. Albeit, it wasn’t his best, but there were others (I’m lookin’ to you, Hollie Cavanagh) who struggled far more.

Colton has been consistently strong all season. He’s taken risks, played it safe when it counts and rocked his unique style and awesome hair.

Plus, he’s by far the strongest interviewer out of the top contestants this season. Every week I’ve had the pleasure of chatting with the singers on Tuesdays during their rehearsals. No one has had more poise, charisma or grace than Colton. He’s well-spoken, polite, introspective and kind — all the characteristics you’d want in a superstar.

I have no doubt Colton will go far with his music career, but I’m still bummed he wasn’t given more opportunity on Idol. At the end of the day, I don’t think this show is rigged, but I do question America’s voting abilities. What the heck happened this week?

What was your response to the elimination tonight? Without Colton in the race, who do you think will win?

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

scarlett28

Posted at 5:29 PM on April 26, 2012

Most of the comments here are obviously from tone deaf viewers. The best of the best by far are Phillip, Josh, Jessica and my personal favorite, Elise. Colton was good, but not very original. Hollie has potential, but is not consistent and needs more time (she should have been eliminated before Colton).

Courtney

Posted at 12:12 PM on April 29, 2012

I agree 100%.

Dyhan

Posted at 12:19 PM on April 25, 2012

Becky I totally agree with you. Someone else said the AI was rigged. J Lo saying you have to vote to keep him or her in. What is this Josh and Jessica show? I did like Colton. I wanted to see Hollie, skylar, Colton and Philip top 4. They should of sent Jessica on her merry little way. I totally agree with Jimmy most of the time. This year our judge have gone brain dead.

Becky

Posted at 2:20 AM on April 25, 2012

It’s A.I.’s loss 4 losing Colton that early! He WILL make many records cuz I couldn’t stand Lady G’s “Bad Romance”, but I can finally buy his cover cuz I loved his voice in that song!!!! I WAS voting 4 him online (with the new way of voting). It’s weird cuz I tested to see if the show’s rigged; it IS. It’s easy to test A.I. that way because I stopped voting for three yrs; needless to say, I stopped watching the show but just to peek in. Because of Colton n’ Skylar, I loved this yr’s show so decided to vote online. Weird, I voted all nite throughout, purposefully only voted for Colton, Skylar, and Hollie….I’m not sure how Colton could be voted off w/new voters like me?!?!?!? How would they explain THAT?!?!?!? American Idol IS rigged and scam.

megan

Posted at 6:30 PM on April 24, 2012

HOLLIE. everyone thinks she’s such a horrible singer and should get voted off, but she’s obviously still there for a reason, she’s an amazing singer and has a great personality unlike conceited jessica sanchez. hollie is gonna win or at least be in the top 3, she deserves it

Caitlyn

Posted at 9:22 PM on April 23, 2012

I think Colton is an awesome person, example and artist. I’m totally confused on America’s voting patterns this season. Elise and holly should be the ones on the chopping block. They have no consistency. As of now I think Phillip deserves to win he is the most original. I was hoping for him or Colton at the end. Bummer.

zainab

Posted at 2:54 PM on April 23, 2012

Errrrr colton was so full of himself and I fink its best dt his gone.d person I want and I hope america wil vote 4 to win dis season is joshua,d guy is a talent,he dservs all d standin º‎°˚˚˚°º‎O’§ he got plss ameraca vote 4 him.

@zaniab

Posted at 11:44 AM on May 13, 2012

You suck man. Colton I know personally, and the first thing he does is put others first. He loves what he does but doesn’t brag about it. Joshua is great and now Im rooting for him as well. BUT SERIOUSLY!!!! Colton is NOTNOTNOT concetied. And also, please learn to spell.

f

Posted at 11:49 AM on April 23, 2012

Not for nothing, but it was Coltons arrogance that sent him packing. He discounted the judges critiquing after his performance thinking he knows more then them. Not to mention that when he was sent to the bottom three, he leaned into Philip Philips and said “I’m not leaving”. Funny that nobody mentioned that, I wasn’t seeing things. The top six are the truly the best six of the competition. They are all talented, and appear to be humble. There’s no room for overconfident, smug, self-centered performers this early in their career. Humility goes a long way with the American viewer.

Kai

Posted at 4:19 PM on April 23, 2012

You sure, cause I was AVIDLY watching and I didn’t see that.

Jaycee

Posted at 8:55 PM on April 23, 2012

I totally beg to differ. I saw Colton as confident, entertaining and genuine support and encouragement to the other contestants. He may have been a bit rash to say ‘he didn’t care’ about the judges’criticisms but I took him to mean that he had had such a great time performing that criticism wouldn’t get him down. I don’t think he meant it rudely. I will miss him on the show. He was a great contestant.

LORI

Posted at 9:48 AM on April 23, 2012

I was heart broken to see Colton go but I think he’s made a name and career for himself regardless! When is CD comes out I will definitely be buying it!!! :) Philip Phillips is my other favorite…although there is an abundance of talent left on the show for sure!

Kevin

Posted at 3:40 AM on April 23, 2012

I beg to differ, I really think something is amiss this year especially. The incessant and blatant favoritism being shown Jessica and Joshua has me scratching my head, thinking that a definite push for a female/minority contestant is evident. Count the number of standing o’s for Joshua compared to others plus the constant praise showered on Jessica; not as much as a whisper of critique has been sent their way. Poor Hollie has been a favorite whipping girl throughout the top 10 and Colton’s out after one mediocre performance. But IF the voting is legitimate, neither Jessica nor Joshua will win, they have the personalities of melted lard.

dyhan

Posted at 12:33 AM on April 23, 2012

I agree with Ashley for final 2. but,I want jessica and josh gone.last few weeks even now. some one said it was jessica and josh show. i am beginning to think that. I dont think the judges are on the money I listen to Jimmy he usually hits them on the money. after the judges running on stage making azzzzezzzz themselves… Hey hello Judges their is other contestants.

Ashley

Posted at 11:02 PM on April 22, 2012

I admit, i’m shocked to see him go, honestly was expecting Hollie to go home this week. He was one of my favorites, got to hand it to the judges this year though, they’ve done an excellent job picking the talent that they found. I see Phillip, Josh and either Jessica or Skylar making it to the finale. However, i’m not picking a winner because they’re all so talented. I’d like either Phillip or Skylar to win, though.

Jose Matutina

Posted at 6:17 PM on April 22, 2012

Good riddance…

nancy

Posted at 5:50 PM on April 22, 2012

I want either skylark or phillip

Emma

Posted at 4:01 PM on April 22, 2012

Personally I was hoping Colton would go home a few weeks ago. His talent is a dime a dozen, he sounds like so many of the artists that are out there today. It’s about time that someone besides a pop singer wins. Philip or Elise would be perfect. Doesn’t really matter anyway, I see record deals for all of them in the future.

Chris

Posted at 3:55 PM on April 22, 2012

Its better this way. Let Skylar win and Josh, Elise, Jessica, Colton and Philip can choose their paths. Idol would kill their careers.

Pam

Posted at 1:09 PM on April 22, 2012

I was surprised that Colton was eliminated so soon. I admire that he is not afraid to show his faith in God. I would eliminate Elise. There is just something about her that I don’t care for. I agree that the judges have picked Jessica as their favorite-the way Jennifer ran on stage to save her. How must that make the other contestants feel?

My favorites are Phillip and Skylar. I am a country music fan so she is my ultimate favorite.

jackie

Posted at 1:05 PM on April 22, 2012

Unfortunatley , Phil Philips

Maggie

Posted at 12:04 PM on April 22, 2012

Colto sounds pretty much like every other Karaoke singer, and his voice is nothing special!! He is ‘good’ but not great. The blind gal (Rachel) that sang on Britain’s version of ‘the Voice’ – now SHE has a VOICE! Very different, as with Elise…sultry, mellow, easy to listen to. However, I agree that Colton will do well with his musical career; he has enough of the ‘teeny-bopper gal fans’ to carry him, plus, the ‘losers’ always do better than the winners anyway! (ex., Reuben, Taylor, Fantasia…etc.)

juicy

Posted at 7:06 PM on May 5, 2012

You must be crazy! Colton is the best singer that was on American idol this season!

D. Hanson

Posted at 11:55 AM on April 22, 2012

C’mon guys get real.. It is rig.. it is all about the jacob and jessica show. I dont think the judges have the right to tell us to vote for anyone or to keep any contestant in. To tell you the truth it like not giving the others a chance. Colton was one of my favorites. The judges is all about J/J
with standing novations. Sry but I think colton and hollie and skylar and phillip has more great talent. C’mon america
stand up to who really need to be there and not who the judges want to have win this.

Chloe

Posted at 11:24 AM on April 22, 2012

I’m so sad he got eliminated:( im not gonna even watch the show anymore this season because he was the only one i really cared about!

Siena

Posted at 10:02 AM on April 22, 2012

I totally agree that Colton shouldn’t have been eliminated. That kid has got such a great voice and he deserves to stay for at least a few more weeks! :(

Trut

Posted at 9:36 AM on April 22, 2012

I don’t know if it’s rigged, but it’s definetly not legit because of the fact that people are allowed to vote as many times as they possibly can in the two hour period. It’s just a popularity contest. It doesn’t matter who wins at this point.

The talent is awesome this year, but the only contestant’s music I’ll buy will be Elise’s. I’d be shocked if she made it into the finals, but she’s my favorite.

Pam

Posted at 6:48 AM on April 22, 2012

In past seasons there was always a double elimination the week after the save is used. Why not this year?

James

Posted at 4:52 PM on April 22, 2012

They didnt have a double elimination because the tall black guy was kicked off the show, that left them a week ahead of schedule.

Karina

Posted at 11:47 PM on April 21, 2012

OK Colton did in fact struggle this week! The Lady Gaga performance was a hot mess! You can’t touch Gaga songs. Hollie is extremely talented and deserves to stay. Let’s face it everyone is super talented this season and everyone will be saying the voting was rigged. No doubt in my mind we’ll be hearing from Colton now. Also it’s very important to vote for your faves. You can also try voting online it’s a lot better! My opinion!

Ben

Posted at 11:27 PM on April 21, 2012

Definitely rigged. Here are the reasons:

When I tried to vote for the korean singer–Hunnin (sorry can’t spell his name), when I called, there was an ad for sex talk line instead of his voting line. I tried several times thinking I misdialed then gave up when the sex line answered. . He was eliminated the next night. I think the ad was put there to keep voters from voting for him. He had had a huge following before!

After there were recent rumors and press that Idol is rigged, Ryan Seacrest mentioned for the first time this year how many votes there were–something like 53 million. Previous years he had told how many votes every single week, but not this year.

Next week I am going to vote for all of the contestants to see if this ad comes up and for which contestant to see if the one eliminated had the sex line ad on his/hher voting line.

James

Posted at 4:54 PM on April 22, 2012

You dialed the wrong number….

Jose Matutina

Posted at 6:19 PM on April 22, 2012

There’s no conspiracy. It’s because you called an 800 number, instead of the 866… LOL!!!

Becky

Posted at 2:22 AM on April 25, 2012

The show’s rigged. I tested it because I quit supporting the show when Adam Lambert didn’t win. I quit the show 4 three yrs, but merely came back to support Colton, Skylar and Hollie. I only got two out of three contestants through?!?!?! I’m a returning voter via Online—-technically, I have given Colton LOTS of xtra votes, how does one explain that?!?!??! AI’s rigged, big time!