'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Damon & Elena Finally [Spoiler]

Thu, April 19, 2012 9:30pm EDT by 135 Comments

The moment many fans have waited for finally arrived — again! Was it everything you dreamed it would be?

The April 19 episode of The Vampire Diaries was about a lot of things: Damon (Ian Somerhalder) figuring out which vampire bloodline he came from, Stefan (Paul Wesley) getting Alaric (Matt Davis) to reveal the location of the remaining White Oak stake, and Rebekah (Claire Holt) helping to unveil the real enemy in Mystic Falls. But let’s be real for a minute. This week’s big return episode was mostly about one thing, and one thing only…

Damon and Elena (Nina Dobrev) finally gave into temptation — again — and ravaged each other’s faces during a trip to a motel, which was ironically Stefan’s idea. First came pillow talk, then hand holding, then a full-on make-out sesh outside by the vending machines. And as glad as we all were to see Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) back on the show, I feel like a good chunk of the viewers were not happy when he interrupted all the “Delena” merriment.

Jeremy was tagging along to serve as a liason between Damon and the ghosts, beginning with Rose (Lauren Cohan), who turned out to be the biggest “Delena” shipper this fandom has ever seen. During the car ride home, Rose literally spelled out the pros and cons of each pairing to Jeremy. “Damon challenges” Elena, while “Stefan’s love is pure and he will always be right for her.” Still, she admitted she’s “rooting” for Damon and Elena.

Back in Mystic Falls, things were just as crazy — but not quite as sexy. Stefan spent the hour playing mind games with both of Alaric’s split personalities until he finally revealed that the remaining stake is located in the no-vampires-allowed cave. This seemed like a good thing for Alaric, until Rebekah crossed the threshold and entered the cave because — wait for it — she’s now being possessed by dead Esther’s spirit!

Dun! Dun! Dun!

Before she became all kinds of possessed, however, Rebekah shared a weird little moment with Matt (Zach Roerig), who remains the pinnacle of all things gentlemanly in Mystic Falls. She fed him a sob story about how she could plan the entire decades dance at school, but would then have to compel someone to go with her because she’s so unlovable. If I’m being honest, I don’t even have the tiniest bit of sympathy for her. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the Originals, it’s that as soon as you let your guard down, they kill you. Or try to steal your girlfriend. Either way, no sympathy from me.

On a lighter note, this week’s episode also marked Tyler’s (Michael Trevino) painstakingly long-awaited return to Mystic Falls, which was met by one of the most blessed “Forwood” scenes yet. Even though we’d already seen the beginning of Tyler’s reunion with Caroline (Candice Accola) on KTLA this morning, we were not privy to the hot cave sex that followed it. (Side note: I wonder if they found a fun way to use Tyler’s werewolf chains. I would.)

Yes, all seemed to going well for Caroline and Tyler… until he found Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) twisted horsey drawing in her bedroom! That’s when Tyler truly transformed, and I mean into something far more destructive than a werewolf, or even a hybrid. Tyler transformed into a jealous boyfriend — and we all know what a great temper that guy has.

OK, now that we’ve thoroughly dissected the goings-on of Mystic Falls finest, let’s break down this week’s “Delena” and “Stelena” moments to figure out which shippers won this battle:

1. I’m really not saying this as a “Delena” shipper — because I am making a conscious effort to be more open minded — but I didn’t feel like this week’s episode had any solid “Stelena” moments. Stefan and Elena had minimal interaction before she took off on the road trip with Damon, which immediately changed the direction of the episode to being all about “Delena.”
    x
    Feel free to prove me wrong, though.
    x
  2. TOTAL: 0 points
  1. Elena doesn’t deny having “unresolved feelings” for Damon. (+5 points)
    x
  2. Elena rolls her eyes when Damon tells Rose he knows she’s “obsessed” with him. (-2.5 points)
  3. Damon and Elena hold hands in bed. (+20 points)
    x
  4. Damon and Elena ravage each other’s faces. (+60 points)
    x
  5. Damon risks his life against Kol to save Elena (+10 points)
    x
  6. TOTAL: 92.5 points

x
What did you think of this week’s episode? Were you satisfied with Damon and Elena’s make-out sesh, or did you want more? Do you support a potential Matt-Rebekah pairing? And which characters are you MOST worried about surviving the rest of the season? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts on the night — and what’s to come!

— Andy Swift

123456

Posted at 9:58 AM on May 2, 2012

Stelena!!!! My bf works on TVD set and tells me that its Stefan and Elena that end up together! Jippi!

Rubydoobie

Posted at 9:57 AM on May 2, 2012

STELENA FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yommistix d

Posted at 12:57 PM on April 26, 2012

Deeehmm! Cant beliv its delena afta al. I tink its beta wit d stelena.. Its hard to luv sm1 whoz not returning it, bt kinda beliv d true elena would prefer d st. (saint) to d D (devil). Lol. Stelena beta dan delayna or denial or wat? Team stelena alwayz.

Yommistix

Posted at 12:52 PM on April 26, 2012

Deeehmm! Cant beliv its delena afta al. I tink its beta wit d stelena.

izzie

Posted at 7:13 PM on April 24, 2012

delena forever
I loved it,I watched it over and over,the kiss sooooooo hot and I’m not completely satisfied
I want to see more delena moments
please more delena moments
pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

alloush

Posted at 7:08 PM on April 24, 2012

delena forever
I was so excited by the scene.it couldn’t be sexier could it?
I hope we will have more delena moments in the future
delena foerever

Izzie

Posted at 7:00 PM on April 24, 2012

I loved that,It was awesome.but I’m not completely satisfied.I want more delena moments.
doesn’t elena really know if she has feelings for Damon?what was that hot kiss all about then?
please more delena momemnts.pleaaaaaaasassse!

laurette

Posted at 11:47 AM on April 24, 2012

Delena:X

CH

Posted at 10:18 PM on April 23, 2012

Delena for sure!!! the stefan thing is washed up. I hate how everytime elena and damon finally kiss something always steps in and ruins it why cant the kiss end on a good note for once. if youre going to write in another problem at least wait til the next scene!

Jesusa212

Posted at 3:45 PM on April 23, 2012

Delenaaaa!!!!!!

Katy

Posted at 1:45 PM on April 23, 2012

Delena forever

Raissa

Posted at 9:33 AM on April 23, 2012

Amei,odiei q o Jeramy tenha estragado o momento.Tô torcendo para q Delena fiquem juntos e estou louca para o dia 26/04.Amoooo o Iam.

hella

Posted at 7:18 AM on April 23, 2012

STELENA IS BETTER

i usually masturbate on stelena kiss and sex scene and delena is boring, i can’t complete my masturbation

mimio

Posted at 5:23 PM on April 22, 2012

Elena and Damon forever!!!

dijjus9

Posted at 2:38 PM on April 22, 2012

DELENA KISS 3×19

Clair

Posted at 1:53 PM on April 22, 2012

Delena is very better! u_u I´m Delena forever

Shannon

Posted at 6:47 AM on April 22, 2012

I can’t understand how people can be so BLIND. Would it be okay for you to be with a guy who has slept with your mom? Who has hurt your brother? Who has hurt your best friends? Who has murdered hundreds of people?

None of the girls in this show has their priorities straight. I love TVD but its disheartening to watch Damon and Elena together and the Klaus-Caroline pairing. Just the fact that Damon slept with Caroline, compelled her, manipulated her to let him feed on her should be enough for Elena to stay away from Damon. Elena and Stefan were apaprt because of Klaus. Klaus separated Caroline and Tyler. Caroline, despite being aware of this fact, decided to keep Klaus’s drawing. I hope girls in real life are not so stupid. This is, indeed, dsheartening. I don’t agree with “Love-is-the-most-important-thing-ever” policy. Family and friends come before love. It might be too late for Elena but hopefully, Caroline will stay away from Klaus.

ashley

Posted at 2:37 AM on April 25, 2012

Ummmm Its a tv show…..

Melika

Posted at 4:21 PM on April 25, 2012

Yes!! Finally!!! Someone that can understand me!!!
I 100% agree with you! Stefan Is better!

deni

Posted at 5:02 AM on April 22, 2012

stelena!!!!!!
STELENA!
STELENA!
STELENA!

Maria

Posted at 6:49 PM on April 21, 2012

I know that the most girls here support Delena but i’m so angry with the writers! If Elena’s love for Stefan was real she couldn’t have feelings for Damon! And my opinion is that in this episode Elena used Damon to figure out her feelings about him and that thing made Damon upset. Also i agree that this is a Delena episode and i’m not happy with that at all. STELENA !!!

Jessica

Posted at 4:47 PM on April 21, 2012

Team Delena, they belong together in the show.

Ana

Posted at 4:12 PM on April 21, 2012

I LOVE DELENA *–*

Anna

Posted at 11:16 AM on April 21, 2012

Team Damon!!!always

Blesn

Posted at 9:45 AM on April 21, 2012

Viewers do u tink stephan wld have come after elena if he knew she was dating damon,i tink no because even if he loved elena instead of causing trouble he wld have kept his feelings 2 himself&jst b friends with elena,i tink dat wld have been d right tin 4 damon 2 do…but if stephan&elena hv broken up then damon wld have given smtym b4 making any advances,well dats what i tink&i also know damon&stephan lv each other,i dont tink elena can bring them apart.

Blesn

Posted at 9:17 AM on April 21, 2012

For me i feel elena cant b with either damon or stephan if she wants 2 live ‘happily ever after’ except she becomes a vampire since she’d get old and die while d salvator brothers wld ever b young.

eric