'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: Damon & Elena Finally [Spoiler]

Thu, April 19, 2012 9:30pm EDT by 135 Comments

The moment many fans have waited for finally arrived — again! Was it everything you dreamed it would be?

The April 19 episode of The Vampire Diaries was about a lot of things: Damon (Ian Somerhalder) figuring out which vampire bloodline he came from, Stefan (Paul Wesley) getting Alaric (Matt Davis) to reveal the location of the remaining White Oak stake, and Rebekah (Claire Holt) helping to unveil the real enemy in Mystic Falls. But let’s be real for a minute. This week’s big return episode was mostly about one thing, and one thing only…

Damon and Elena (Nina Dobrev) finally gave into temptation — again — and ravaged each other’s faces during a trip to a motel, which was ironically Stefan’s idea. First came pillow talk, then hand holding, then a full-on make-out sesh outside by the vending machines. And as glad as we all were to see Jeremy (Steven R. McQueen) back on the show, I feel like a good chunk of the viewers were not happy when he interrupted all the “Delena” merriment.

Jeremy was tagging along to serve as a liason between Damon and the ghosts, beginning with Rose (Lauren Cohan), who turned out to be the biggest “Delena” shipper this fandom has ever seen. During the car ride home, Rose literally spelled out the pros and cons of each pairing to Jeremy. “Damon challenges” Elena, while “Stefan’s love is pure and he will always be right for her.” Still, she admitted she’s “rooting” for Damon and Elena.

Back in Mystic Falls, things were just as crazy — but not quite as sexy. Stefan spent the hour playing mind games with both of Alaric’s split personalities until he finally revealed that the remaining stake is located in the no-vampires-allowed cave. This seemed like a good thing for Alaric, until Rebekah crossed the threshold and entered the cave because — wait for it — she’s now being possessed by dead Esther’s spirit!

Dun! Dun! Dun!

Before she became all kinds of possessed, however, Rebekah shared a weird little moment with Matt (Zach Roerig), who remains the pinnacle of all things gentlemanly in Mystic Falls. She fed him a sob story about how she could plan the entire decades dance at school, but would then have to compel someone to go with her because she’s so unlovable. If I’m being honest, I don’t even have the tiniest bit of sympathy for her. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about the Originals, it’s that as soon as you let your guard down, they kill you. Or try to steal your girlfriend. Either way, no sympathy from me.

On a lighter note, this week’s episode also marked Tyler’s (Michael Trevino) painstakingly long-awaited return to Mystic Falls, which was met by one of the most blessed “Forwood” scenes yet. Even though we’d already seen the beginning of Tyler’s reunion with Caroline (Candice Accola) on KTLA this morning, we were not privy to the hot cave sex that followed it. (Side note: I wonder if they found a fun way to use Tyler’s werewolf chains. I would.)

Yes, all seemed to going well for Caroline and Tyler… until he found Klaus’ (Joseph Morgan) twisted horsey drawing in her bedroom! That’s when Tyler truly transformed, and I mean into something far more destructive than a werewolf, or even a hybrid. Tyler transformed into a jealous boyfriend — and we all know what a great temper that guy has.

OK, now that we’ve thoroughly dissected the goings-on of Mystic Falls finest, let’s break down this week’s “Delena” and “Stelena” moments to figure out which shippers won this battle:

1. I’m really not saying this as a “Delena” shipper — because I am making a conscious effort to be more open minded — but I didn’t feel like this week’s episode had any solid “Stelena” moments. Stefan and Elena had minimal interaction before she took off on the road trip with Damon, which immediately changed the direction of the episode to being all about “Delena.”
    x
    Feel free to prove me wrong, though.
    x
  2. TOTAL: 0 points
  1. Elena doesn’t deny having “unresolved feelings” for Damon. (+5 points)
    x
  2. Elena rolls her eyes when Damon tells Rose he knows she’s “obsessed” with him. (-2.5 points)
  3. Damon and Elena hold hands in bed. (+20 points)
    x
  4. Damon and Elena ravage each other’s faces. (+60 points)
    x
  5. Damon risks his life against Kol to save Elena (+10 points)
    x
  6. TOTAL: 92.5 points

x
What did you think of this week’s episode? Were you satisfied with Damon and Elena’s make-out sesh, or did you want more? Do you support a potential Matt-Rebekah pairing? And which characters are you MOST worried about surviving the rest of the season? Hit up the comments section with your thoughts on the night — and what’s to come!

— Andy Swift

Angie

Posted at 10:44 AM on April 20, 2012

I bet either Elena or Damon leave Mystic Falls,i am dying to see Damon & Elena hook up but the writers are Anti Damon :(
If Damon can’t have Elena then Stefan can’t either,it is the only solution to the love triangle.I just hope Damon lives & stays in Mystic Falls.Team Damon always & forever <3

Anipat

Posted at 10:33 AM on April 20, 2012

I almost DIED watching the Delena scene.. the rewind button was raped!..
Stefan’s love may be pure but when they were together he always let Elena have her way.. Damon, on the other hand, always gave Elena an avenue to grow.. and look, Stelena fans, your violent reactions are so unfair since Delena fans have waited for two and 3/4 of a season to finally witness this scene.. please give us some moment of joy since the next episode would probably be Stelena again.. =)

Emma (Mrs. Ian Somerhalder/Damon Salvator)

Posted at 10:00 AM on April 20, 2012

I loved the kiss!!!! And I was mad that Jeremy interrupted them!!! I was hoping tonight was the night they finally got it on and as soon as she turned around and started to run towards him i started screaming.

And then when Rebeka (or Esther) said “I dont want just one of them dead,” I knew that it was Esther and not Rebeka and that ticked me off!!! But either way I cant wait till next week!!!!!!!!!

Stelenafan

Posted at 9:42 AM on April 20, 2012

stelena!
the kiss was pathetic and delena is simply boring.

T

Posted at 11:59 AM on April 20, 2012

I’m sorry, did you say pathetic and boring? You must be freakin’ out of your mind! You could totally tell it was real, the ass-grab and the shirt pull… Please, Delena fans have waited for something like this for 3 seasons while looking at Stefan scruing up! This whole thing was sort of his fault, I mean what kind of a boyfriend sends his girlfriend across the country with her other, HOTTER love interest…! When Paul and Nina kiss, it’s nice and well played out, but when Ian and Nina make out, it’s not just opening and closing your mouth… IT’S REAL, PATIONATE, HOT!!! Delena always and forever!

DelenaLove

Posted at 12:05 PM on April 20, 2012

I agree with ‘T’.
You said it was boring but you know your self that it was hot and Stelena will never pull of a scene like that. Stelena days are really getting old, it’s time for us Delena shippers to be finally happy, and so should Damon. Delena is in my heart forever <3

Jen

Posted at 9:26 AM on April 20, 2012

Um no……that kiss was HOT!!

SOME of the SE’ers are so immature, bitter and hateful. I read their tweets and think they’re spoilt children not getting their own way. Do you really want to remain in season one? I knew when I started watching TVD that it was based on a love TRIANGLE.  It took three years to get there, so now it’s time to suck it up and get out of your tantrums and toddler nappies.
This Elena “BELONGS” to Stefan idea is sickening. I’m looking forward to Elena’s growth and journey. There is good and bad in Damon and Stefan. Stefan is not perfect. The brothers would BOTH do anything to save each other and Elena.
And finally…stop hating on the real actors and Julie Plec. That’s just pathetic. Without them we wouldn’t have TVD.

Ariadne

Posted at 9:24 AM on April 20, 2012

OMG I LOVE THE KISS SO MUCH THAT I STARTED CRYING!
MOST EPIC MOMENT EVER!
Seriously watched the scene like 100 times…and i can’t get enought!
BTW i agree with Rose that Damon is either the best or the worst for Elena!But how the thing turned out he is the best!

Lexi.

Posted at 8:16 AM on April 20, 2012

I’m so tired of Elena and her precious doppelganger vagina… Seriously. Sometimes I wish Caroline was the main character. She has to men on her side too. And please, that Delena kiss was simply pathetic.

erama

Posted at 9:41 AM on April 20, 2012

true ! STELENA <3

d.harris

Posted at 7:22 AM on April 20, 2012

amazing episode.elena and damon,not my cup of tea.iam stelena fan.

Riya

Posted at 6:53 AM on April 20, 2012

DELENA! DELENA! GO DELENA! WOOO HOOOO!

*clears throat*

Well, now that that is out of my system I can get down to processing what this means, lol. They used Florence and the Machine’s Never Let Me Go for this kiss and it was the most perfect moment from practically the whole show. I loved, loved it as a Delena fan and as a Florence fan. Rose’s breaking down the relationship was epic…she said what I’ve been thinking this whole season! And, omfg, I have now named Jeremy The Cockblocker. He will forevermore be known by this title -.-

andreea

Posted at 8:04 AM on April 20, 2012

this is my fav episode!!!! I think elena and damon are great together.

lilla

Posted at 6:30 AM on April 20, 2012

You know.i.was a stelena shipper since the start of the show but now after this Stefan deserves sooooo much better! I mean so what now? Even if she does decide to be with Stefan, she made out with his brother! Thats just wrong! And dont get me wrong I like Damon and I want him to be happy but come on how many times has Stefan sacrificed himself for him. I guess its true what they say Nice Guys finish last… I hope Stefan gets another love interest next season.

DAH

Posted at 5:27 AM on April 20, 2012

LOVED this episode. Loved the Rebekah/Caroline catfight. Loved Stefan accepting a little more of his bad side. Loved Kol’s idea of “getting even.” Loved the Tyler/Caroline/Klaus drama.

And, of course, loved the Delena. I honestly teared up from sheer joy. It was passionate, it was impulsive, it was everything I love about those two. Damon’s frank honesty was refreshing all the way around.

But most of all, Rose broke down EXACTLY why I ‘ship this pairing, regardless of the endgame result. If Elena ends up with Stefan, I’m okay with that–he IS good for her. He makes her feel good, he’s good to her, he protects her (yes, he’s been a dick, but hello, vampires are higher on the food chain, makes sense for even a “good ol’ boy” like Stefan). But Damon has the potential to the BEST thing for her. It’s GOOD that he makes her question herself. It’s GOOD FOR HER to have someone around to make her think twice–and, as Damon reiterated, to THINK FOR HERSELF, to make decisions on her own after THINKING THEM THROUGH. Elena is prone to rash decisions (as is Damon, but he has YEARS of cunning on her), and she needs that influence to make her stronger, to make her more clever, to make her critical of the situations she finds herself in.

BUT…

But.

I still believe Elena needs to choose NEITHER of them for now, so she can do just that–step back. Think. Distance herself from the hormonal influences. Not make a rash decision.

Awesome episode. Worth the wait.

West

Posted at 4:59 AM on April 20, 2012

DELENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHHH::)

Bill

Posted at 1:07 AM on April 20, 2012

Stefan, Stefan, Stefan. That will teach you to save your brother’s life. This what you get for willing to become Klaus’ slave so Damon could live. What an idiot!. Exec. Producer Julie Plec has taught all of TVD’s young viewers a valuable lesson. No good deed goes unpunished! And I’m sure Nina Dobrev and her off-screen boyfriend are thrilled by Plec’s decision to get Elena and Damon together.

I’ve watched every episode of TVD since it has been on the air. But I’m done with it.

arta

Posted at 5:36 AM on April 20, 2012

thank god ur done with it better of without ur kinds of fans. did u know that we delena shippers watched and waited 2 whole freakin seasons for this and well its kinda 3 seasons we didnt send them h8 mail (like u guys did after 3×10) or anything we just waited, viewed, (i even told everyone i knew abt the vampire diaries so it’s fans would increase) and now that we get what we want and what is right u guys lash out! yeah gr8 move stelena fans just stick to ur stefan and all and dont u dare disrespect ian somerhalder and nina dobrev or even julie plec!!!

Mayce

Posted at 6:56 AM on April 20, 2012

Technically, she hasn’t chosen between the brothers yet… Anyway, what’s wrong with Delena getting some screen time? I didn’t see the Delena shippers complaining about the hours upon hours of Stelena scenes? Your comment and attitude towards a great show is judgemental and frankly not very well thought out.
I agree with Arta. TVD is better off without fans like you.

delena

Posted at 11:30 AM on April 20, 2012

only fans like us??
if there is no fans like us no one will watch this show except stelena fans which is fewer than delena fans. and remember this almost all the viewers wants a DELENA.
just check the polls you know,,evrebody is rooting for damon.
you should do your homework first.

vamplover

Posted at 11:50 PM on April 19, 2012

the damon and elena scene was just to lust like. she didn’t say i love you. they were just going at it like rabbits. guess elena needed a little something something. feel bad for damon. she just used him because she was horn- then poor damon looked so desperate when they were at the crazy vamps house. wish rose could have stayed. she loved damon for who he is.

Amanda

Posted at 11:26 PM on April 19, 2012

Rose didn’t say Stefan was right for Elena she said he would always be good for her. But Damon could be the best for her. :=) I think best trumps good. This episode was amazing, awesome, the best of the season so far in terms of writing, direction, cinematography, editing, music, everything. It was just superb. I love it as much as Founders Day and The Return which are my favorite episodes ever.

dame316

Posted at 11:21 PM on April 19, 2012

O.M.G I CAN BELIVE IT THEY FINALLY DID ONE OF THE BEST episode BY FAR DELENA FAR

Bridget

Posted at 11:15 PM on April 19, 2012

Best Delena episode so far :) The kiss was amazing and so hot but honestly…the way they were almost holding hands in bed was even more passionate. It showed everything they feel for each other :)

Candygirl

Posted at 10:59 PM on April 19, 2012

Yeah, Andy you really are open minded, why don’t you just change your site to the Delena Diaries. Open-minded my @#$!

Amanda

Posted at 11:28 PM on April 19, 2012

It’s his blog, you know. He can ship whoever he wants to. And what did he say wrong? Stelena didn’t have any good scenes this episode. He’s absolutely right on that.

Candygirl

Posted at 1:17 AM on April 20, 2012

Good point, I will stay off of his blog. I only came because I thought he was neutal and now that I know he is not no point for me to be here.

Maria

Posted at 7:46 PM on April 21, 2012

I agree with Amanda. Stelena didn’t have any good scenes in this episode. Howeber I’m STELENA! Hope that the next weeks episode will be a Stelena episode

nella

Posted at 10:27 PM on April 19, 2012

CAn SOmeONe pleASeE TELl ME THE SONG TITLE whwn elena and damon kiss in the hotel!!

Mary E

Posted at 10:34 PM on April 19, 2012

“Never Let Me Go” by Florence + The Machine : )
That was every ounce of Epicness that anyone could have wished for.lol

Riya

Posted at 6:58 AM on April 20, 2012

@ Mary E, I know exactly what you mean! My heart almost stopped when I heard what song they were using for this epic moment! <3

Allie

Posted at 10:40 PM on April 19, 2012

Never Let Me Go by Florence and the Machine

Mary E

Posted at 10:18 PM on April 19, 2012

That kiss was Hot, but freakishly rough!! lol
I thought the wall groping was a bit much, but none-the-less hot.

emily

Posted at 10:17 PM on April 19, 2012

1st of all i wanna say no offence to the delena people but I AM NOT A delena SUPPORTER!!!!!! TEAM STELENA FORVER!!!!!!!!!! and i will give three reasons!
1) paul wesley(stefan) is hotter than ian somerholder(damon)
2) stefan has and always will be there for elena and damon is a loose cannon and you dont know what he is gona do and,
3) stefan and elena are cuter together!!!!
and that my friends is the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arta

Posted at 11:18 PM on April 19, 2012

but we’ve all seen damon loose it and he never hurt elena stefan on the other hand, almost drove er off the bridge

Lillie

Posted at 11:43 PM on April 19, 2012

Stefan has not always been there for Elena. In fact, he has spent most of the season telling Damon that protecting Elena was ‘his problem’ and telling Elena that he didn’t want her. And lest we forget that he forced her to drink his blood and threatened to drive her off the very bridge she flew off of when her parents died? Damon has been the one who was always there for her, no matter how she treated him in return. TEAM DAMON!

Nuri

Posted at 2:08 AM on April 20, 2012

U forget so easily what stefan went through with Klaus, that took all the love in his life for Elena to be able to pull back….assume it to be Damon that went through such things, he wuld simply kill Elena on return nd secondly wuld never return a normal Vamp again…..so think of these things bfor judging Stefan.

Nora

Posted at 5:40 AM on April 20, 2012

Stefan has always been there for Elena, even before she knew a person called Stefan existed. The only time he wasn’t there for her was when he had to sacrifice himself for Damon’s sake and we have all seen how that selfless act has been unfairly rewarded by both Elena and Damon. Elena and Damon are passionate, that’s true but they are WRONG. Damon is so unstable and childish most of the time. While Elena is cautious, he is completely reckless. He has changed lately but that does not mean he can escape the consequences of so many innocent lives taken. He put Stefan through hell in the first season though Stefan just wanted him to be happy. How can people forget what he did to Lexie, Jeremy and Caroline? People that matter to both Elena and Stefan. And if we are to assume that he won’t go back to those brutal ways now, then how can you rationalize what happened between him and Rebekah after Elena rejected him? You don’t just go and sleep with the first girl you see just because the one you love is hesitant to accept your love. I find it amusing that no one seems to care about how many people Damon has killed or how many girls he has slept around with. Stefan, on the other hand, has helped everyone when they were in trouble and never forced a decision upon Elena. Just because Stefan does not show how much he is hurt, it does not mean he is not in pain. If Damon had any morals or values at all, he would back off of Elena, considering Damon’s life was something Stefan had to pay for and with a heavy price too. I suppose, half of the people wanting Delena are probably some hormone – driven girls who don’t see past how hot guys are. Get a perspective. You don’t go around making out with a guy who has possible slept with your mom.

Deirdre

Posted at 10:14 PM on April 19, 2012

Delena all the way for me. The kids was amazing but I think the hand holding meant more, I mean Elena ran away from the hand holding, and jumped into the kiss. In bed I was so waiting for hey to put her hand on his chest…..HOT!!!!

Mary

Posted at 9:48 PM on April 19, 2012

I’m dead from all of the Delena epicness! Hands down best episode of season 3.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:55 PM on April 19, 2012

Definitely one of the best so far. :) So much happened!

Marissa

Posted at 10:23 PM on April 19, 2012

More like the best episode of the whole show! I’ve been waiting for that kiss for over two seasons!!

Angel

Posted at 9:44 PM on April 19, 2012

Andy, I just want my ship to set sail and never sink. But every time we take a rope off the dock, another one ties it back down. I don’t get it! Why can’t she just admit it! It’s so clear! It’s SO obvious! She loves him! Just come on! Every Delena shipper is an emotional wreck after this ep. I can’t take it anymore!

Angel

Posted at 9:46 PM on April 19, 2012

Oh and I’m glad Rose came back. She was my favorite for the little bit of time she was on the show. And I’m super glad she’s such a Delena shipper! Made my night! Okay, second to Elena throwing herself at Damon. :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:55 PM on April 19, 2012

I laughed out loud (all alone) when Rose said she supports Damon and Elena. Such a crazy meta moment.

Isabelle

Posted at 9:39 PM on April 19, 2012

Thank you Andy you just read my mind. Best episode EVER.

Andy Swift