Kelly Preston: Why I Love Breastfeeding

Thu, April 19, 2012 11:48am EDT by 6 Comments
Kelly Preston Benjamin

It can be difficult for mothers to wean their children off nursing, but the actress says it will be hard for her to stop too!

Kelly Preston admits when the time eventually comes for her 16-month-old son Benjamin Travolta to stop breastfeeding, it’s going to be “really hard” on her.

“I love nursing so much,” she tells People.

She nurses Benjamin a couple times during the night and four or five times during the day. Night time feeding is easy because adorable little Benjamin sleeps in the bed with Kelly and her husband John Travolta.

The 49-year-old mother adds, “I love the closeness and knowing that I’m giving him the best as far as nutrients and antibodies. And he really loves it, too.”

“He’ll come up and point and go, ‘Mama, more,” Kelly gushes. “It’s so cute!”

The cute tot doesn’t only go for milk, but has quite the palate. Benjamin, like his 12-year-old sister Ella Travolta, eats filet mignon, scallops, salmon, organic veggies. He will eat “pretty much everything.”

How cute!

HollyMoms, how old were your children when you stopped breastfeeding?

More Kelly Preston News:

1. How Kelly Preston Lost 42 Lbs In Baby Weight — She Looks Great
  2. http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2011/08/17/kelly-preston-john-travolta-scientology/
  3. http://www.hollywoodlife.com/tag/kelly-preston/

Courtney

Posted at 7:03 AM on April 25, 2012

breastfeeding at his age is normal and actually it’s recomended until age 2 by the world health Orginization. though some moms have to stop early either for health reasons or the baby rejecting the breast like Gwen Stefani’s youngest son Zuma did at 9 months of age or if mom is younger her becoming pregnant again for example Vanessa Redgrave had to stop nursing her daughter Natasha at 11 months because she had become pregnant with her younger sister Joely or she had to stop nursing her son Carlo at 13 months because she became pregnant with her 4th child though she sadly miscarried later

kara

Posted at 10:10 PM on April 23, 2012

We will breastfeed until my now almost one year old decides to wean herself! I agree that the US is way behind on breastfeeding standards. The fact that it made news that she is still breastfeeding her 15 month old is pretty telling. At least it is positive attention that breastfeeding is awesome!

Carrie

Posted at 5:27 PM on April 21, 2012

I love breastfeeding and my goal is to nurse till their 1st birthday, my son and I made it. He was ready and so was I to be done with it. My daughter is only 4 months but the plan is to go till she is one, but I can also see a difference in their personalities and if she needs to go longer than that will be a decision for that time. My mom nursed my sister till she was 19 months at nap and bedtime. Sometimes it is frustrating and painful but if you breathe through it and refocus it is the best thing for your baby. I respect all mothers and their decisions to breastfeed or not it is a true time commitment and not every mother is blessed to have the opportunity to stay home or have a job that pumping is convenient.

Zelda

Posted at 2:04 PM on April 20, 2012

Mine was 3 1/2 when she stopped on her own. It is called child led weaning and most commonly practiced in Eastern cultures. The US is WAY behind in breast feeding standards. The child will stop when they are ready. There is nothing to be ashamed of.

Mandy

Posted at 12:50 PM on April 19, 2012

She looks like she is his grandmother…

Lorraine

Posted at 12:22 PM on April 19, 2012

Im still bf my 2 year old he loves his nurses and I love the close bond we share. I will never wean him he will decied when he no longer needs to bf. The who and aap both recommend bf past the age of two and as long as both parties are happy. i fully support my fellow bfing mommies.