'American Idol' Recap: Elise Testone Argues With J. Lo

Wed, April 18, 2012 10:59pm EDT by 82 Comments
Elise Testone

The Top 7 took on the songs of “Now & Then” —  and Elise Testone may have dug her grave, after arguing with one of the judges! Yikes!

The American Idol hopefuls are in the home stretch and have no chance to be saved, which means they should really be at their best — or it’s the end of the road. Like usual, some chose good and some bad. Unfortunately, nobody was really spectacular!

1st Round: Songs Of Now

Hollie Cavanagh: She started the night with “Rolling In The Deep” by Adele. Can we please stop having Adele being a selection for any singing show? It is so overdone and it’s often done terribly…which leads us to Hollie’s performance, which was horrible. She will 100% be voted off the show this week, unless she performs some sort of miracle with her next song. And, of course, the judges who don’t actually judge loved it. I really wonder sometimes what show the judges are watching.

Colton Dixon: Colton risked trying “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga, which I thought was going to be awful. I honestly don’t think he should have chose this song and this performance might drop him down a few pegs. It wasn’t terrible — it just didn’t work. I’m a fan of Colton and what he has done on the show up until this point. This was his weakest performance of the season. However, the judges loved it. Honestly, the judges are completely pointless this season. They don’t know how to judge good and bad performances. It’s ridiculous!

Elise Testone: The bottom three favorite is back again and sang “No One” by Alicia Keys. She was working the Mariah Carey look tonight…but without Mariah’s voice. However, the song seemed to be a good pick for Elise (even if it was a little bit safe). She didn’t lose any votes on this performance, but she didn’t blow the roof off the place. She should be all right unless her second performance stumbles. I also didn’t like that she kind of used her future dead dog as a emotional voting point. Just leave it to the music.

Phillip Phillips: The choice of “U Got It Bad” by Usher was a great selection and I wanted Phillip to break out from his normal performances. It still had the Phillip stamp on it, but a little different to be a really fun performance. It wasn’t his best performance, but it was a great performance by the band — which made the whole performance really top notch. He should be more than safe. The judges gushed about him as well, so he will be in no danger whatsoever. He doesn’t even need to sing his next song.

Jessica Sanchez: Since Jessica is the producers’ favorite, the judges’ favorite and has tons of fans, I am really interested to see what Jessica will do with her two performances. Her first choice was “Fallin” by Alicia Keys (which is like singing Adele – everyone sings it). It sounded like she was screaming the big notes rather than singing them on this performance. But surprise, surprise the judges loved it…what else is new? (Random question: Will the open umbrellas on stage pose more bad luck for her this week?)

Skylar Laine: Skylar countrified “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga. Skylar did what Colton did not do and that was make a Lady Gaga song her own. I am not much of a country fan, but this was currently the best performance of the night. If Skylar continues on the path she has been on, she will easily be in the final three of the show. She will not win American Idol but she will get very far. The judges agreed…but they don’t judge, so do their opinions even count? I’m eager to see what Jimmy Iovine has to say about the performances tomorrow. I think he’ll really like Skylar and she should avoid the bottom three, unless her second song is atrocious.

Joshua Ledet: Joshua chose “I Believe” by Fantasia. He chose a song in his wheelhouse and whatever you think about Fantasia, this is her best and most catchy song she has ever recorded. The judges gave him a standing ovation but it wasn’t his defining moment. It was a good performance and should allow him to get some votes to get him out of the bottom three. He chose wisely to go safe, because others (like Elise and Hollie) are most likely going to stumble in round two. We shall see, but Joshua should be in good shape after this performance.

2nd Round: Songs Of Then

Hollie Cavanagh: Her second song was “Son Of A Preacher Man” by Dusty Springfield, which was a million times better than what she started out with — but it just might not be enough. She went back to thinking on stage and not just rocking out.  Stephen Tyler agreed and wants her to be more than just the voice. She didn’t embarrass herself in any way, but she might not have any more chances, as she may have not done enough. At least she has the tour to anticipate this summer.

Colton Dixon: Yet another big risk by Colton as he tried “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire. Talk about a serious test. However, Colton likes to play by his own rules, which makes him a favorite. He changed the song to be a little slower, but I thought it should have been slower and more haunting. The judges actually hated it, but I think his fan base will save him. Colton really tried some things this week and it was 50/50 at best. Honestly, I think he will learn from this and completely rock it out next week.

Elise Testone: She did her usual Elise thing to the classic “Let’s Get It On” by Marvin Gaye, but she provided no emotion to her performance — just the voice. This song is about making love and not making us think we are in a karaoke bar. Jennifer Lopez actually agreed with me; Elise lacked the connection. Elise then challenged Jennifer, which sealed her fate. Mark my words: she will for sure be going home tomorrow. She then decided to keep talking and talking. Elise is going home swinging.

Phillip Phillips: He went back to what he does best, and that is being Phillip. He chose “In The Midnight Hour” by Wilson Pickett, which seemed a little hokey at first, but it turned into a good performance toward the end. It felt a little Las Vegas lounge singer, but let’s be honest — he will be OK tomorrow and will not be going home at all. He has the girls on his side, something that really helped him even more was going after a weak performance by Elise. See you next week, Phillip.

Jessica Sanchez: Talk about over singing a classic song. Jessica sang “Try A Little Tenderness” by Otis Redding and it was completely AWFUL! I defy you not to listen to the original song and hear how it should have been done. However, nobody cares how bad she does as I think this competition is rigged in her favor. If the voting was legit last week, she should be in the bottom three yet again. But I doubt that will happen. I’m sure the commenters are going to hate on me for this review, but Jessica was not good in this performance.

Skylar Laine: Another song by a legendary singer that was not really done well. Skylar chose “Heard It Through The Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye. Her first performance was leaps and bounds better and this was a major misstep. Others did worse and her first performance will help keep her another week for sure. In the end, it was a 50/50 night for Skylar, which could have been at one point a spectacular night. Oh well!

Joshua Ledet: To end the night, Joshua chose “A Change Is Gonna Come” by Sam Cooke. We already saw Fantasia win American Idol, we don’t need her to win again. Say no to Man-tasia! This song ended the night on a blah note.

So HollywoodLifers, Who do you think is in the bottom three and who will be going home tomorrow? Sound off below!

Russ Weakland

Courtney

Posted at 12:18 PM on April 29, 2012

So what? J. Lo can’t sing well without studio help and a majority of her songs are pure crappola. Elise has real vocal talent and great taste in music.

Raymond

Posted at 7:18 PM on April 25, 2012

New iPhone app called A.I.Vote which allows you to text 50 votes per min. A.I. Vote is now in the app store so download A.I. Vote and lets do some votes for Elise. Good Luck Elise.

commentator

Posted at 7:51 PM on April 22, 2012

uhm, what was that about Elise going home? Well I guess you just focus on your favourites rather than open your HEARING out for everyone.. I’m hope I’m not the only one saying this, because as far as I’m concerned, Elise will stay strong through this competition, AND WE ALL GOT HER BACK.. thanks :)

kexzy

Posted at 9:23 AM on April 21, 2012

screw you for hating jessica. so biased!

Mia

Posted at 6:14 PM on April 20, 2012

I’d say Elise bought herself some more votes. JLo is as good as being a judge is she is at keeping a husband.

Ronnie

Posted at 12:22 PM on April 20, 2012

I like Elise…She plays three instruments, she is well educated and I think she will do alot with music with or without a win on this show. My problem is the judges…J.Lo or not any of the judges could sing a Michael Jackson song or any of the artist that they challenge these Kids to sing.I hate it when the are so rude to young people who are sing songs from some of the best talent in the world. Hove you listened to J.Lo lately

Gerri

Posted at 12:07 PM on April 20, 2012

All of the contestants have their own individual styles and personalitys, and when they try to take on the songs of other celebreties, they lose their individualities and sound more like the celebreties they are more or less portraying. Thus, the undue criticism. This current episode has the BEST conglameration of talent ever, and it is unfortunate that only one person may be chosen. Elise has a great style, and so do Hollie, Skylar, Jessica, Philip and Joshua. None of them should be eliminated, and shame on the decision to let go of Colton. Jessica has a good voice but that doesn’t make her the greatest. She’s young and still a little rough around the edges.

Suggestion: Why don’t all of these people get awarded and form a club incorporating all of their talents, as previously shown on AI, and go on tour together. Bet you they’d do very well anywhere they go, especially since the exposure they’ve received on this show.

Mickey

Posted at 10:29 AM on April 20, 2012

Someone should write a song ” why ya gotta be so mean?”. Oh, they already did. Really fans, why trash the Idolettes? They are all singing their hearts out. Someone has to leave every week.

Angela

Posted at 8:28 AM on April 20, 2012

Elise is my girl…You know since she came on she gets hot or cold from the judges and the NEVER EVER offer her as much good critism or encouragement as they do other contestants. When is the last time they said she looked beautiful in an outfit. This last round that orange dress was gorgious on her. For those who say she used her dead dog or picked on. She did not bring that stuff up Ryan did to get ratings and to create Drama. You think she wanted to talk about her dead dog? Did you see how she teared up immediately. You think she wanted to cry right before a freakin performance? Have you ever lost a dog? I have and there be no way I want to talk about that on national television right after it happened. Her vocal gifts outshines EVERYONE else. She can do it all and it is so natural for her. They talk about Philip philips being an artist or colton being an artist. Cause they have their own sound. Elise has her own sound too and she is constantly changing up the song. Just look what she did with the Led Zepplin song. None of those other singers could ever be able to do what she did. I am glad she challenged Jennifer on connecting with the song. Fact is Elise has had issues with that. But this last week, she really started connecting with the songs more so than before. She definitely needs to do more than that but they could atleast recognize the fact she did it some and encourage her more. I am glad elise was saved… And that Jimmy has to eat his words. I can’t believe that he sat there and said the marvin gay song was all wrong and critized her. Where the heck was he in his coaching session? She is not bull headed and takes direction as she has shone. He was perfectly happy to take the blame with Sanchez in singing songs that are too old. But not with Elise for allowing a song he felt was for the 40ish crowd. What a butt! Elise you go gettum… I love to see phillip philips and Elise in the finale.

Bonnie Ash

Posted at 7:44 AM on April 20, 2012

Elise is one of the beat singers on the show! The judges have really been mean to her, I hope it comes back to bite them in the butt.
You can tell they hurt her feelings by being so critical. They are not helping her ,they are being down right mean!

Karm

Posted at 7:39 AM on April 20, 2012

I’m not going to hate on u at all…I think this season is rigged as you say for Jessica and I don’t even like her voice not at all…not sayin she isn’t good but don’t like it

Michael

Posted at 3:59 AM on April 20, 2012

You are all so wrong about Elise – I’m not seeing Elise with someone with a ‘bad attitude’ or ‘showing no emotion’. I see her as someone with a great voice, who shows a great deal of emotion. Stop listening to the ridiculous comments made by the judges, who are trying to manipulate the vote, and listen to her vocal talent. If anyone is going to sell records, its going to be Elise.

Melanie

Posted at 6:14 AM on April 20, 2012

Right on! Couldn’t agree more! Elise is one great talented performer and musician.

mongbanprince

Posted at 3:45 AM on April 20, 2012

yeah your last week’s statement about kissing death just strucked, your callboi hahaha XD too bad.

mongbanprince

Posted at 3:43 AM on April 20, 2012

Damn you’re definitely right when you said the commenters are going to hate you, but not for the soul reason of dissing Jessica but trying to sound like you know anything about what’s a good music. The judges knows what they’re doing they’ve been in the industry and you, you’re just a mere blogger. So to top it all off you suck.

JE

Posted at 12:39 AM on April 20, 2012

YOUR REVIEW ABOUT JESSICA IS UTMOST AWFUL – Are you that good of a judge? Are you EVEN musically inclined? Sorry, but AMERICA (not to mention the REST of the WORLD) loves her!

Ohh, and your OBVIOUS favorite, COLTON – is GONE! Karma really now is SUPERB! Carpe diem! :)

karma

Posted at 2:49 AM on April 20, 2012

HE’S BEEN DOING THAT TO JESSICA SINCE “TURN A BEAT AROUND” SONG. AM GLAD GOD IS LISTENING TO US.

catu

Posted at 9:41 PM on April 25, 2012

All of America loves Jessica? Sorry, but speak for yourself. I know lots of Americans who do not think she is the best on idol this year, in fact she would have been eliminated without the save. I think she’s a good singer but I don’t believe she knows who she is as an artist yet, so she sings each song like the original artist rather than making it her own. This has become increasingly apparent the last three weeks. But that will hopefully come with time. She’s nothing special at this point imo. Though I do believe there is a bias towards her by the judges. I’m glad to see they are finally calling her out on her disconnect from songs, etc. though they always seem to need to temper it with a compliment. She’s not the bottom of my list, but she’s far from the top.

pnoi

Posted at 10:57 PM on April 19, 2012

guess what?! YOUR FAV. COLTON IS GONE!!! thanks to your beloved kiss of death a few weeks ago, it finally caught up to you b@stard! if he is your fav. you could have chose a better song for him or suggest to him at that..

THIS TIME WERE NOT GIVING UP ON JESSICA, to you or any HATERS OUT THERE. we will show our true voting power, scumbag!
were tired of tolerating this freaking damn hate!

w00t!

Posted at 4:42 AM on April 23, 2012

if jessica is so good why was she in the bottom 3 HEY LOL

nestor meniola

Posted at 10:19 PM on April 19, 2012

joshua and jessica are the people to beat in the current american idol season if talents are to be considered but since a.i relies merely on popularity…well..my guess will be good as yours.

Sara

Posted at 9:46 PM on April 19, 2012

Whichever moron who wrote the article might want to include the actual arguement.

Linda

Posted at 9:44 PM on April 19, 2012

I cannot believe Colton was sent home and Elise and her crappy attitude is still there! Sickening. Elise can’t compare with Colton and tonight she was at it again with her attitude and her “poor her being picked on” excuse! Can’t stand her and now am even angrier that she stayed while someone like Colton was sent home.

Bee

Posted at 9:44 PM on April 19, 2012

I’m not a fan of Colton but I was shocked. I thought Hollie would of gone a looking time ago, I’m shocked she has fans

gbtw

Posted at 3:05 PM on April 20, 2012

hollie is very sweet and pretty, and has great potential in addition to a currently great voice. she may be a little “plain vanilla” but there is an audience for that- especially when they feel that the judges are too hard on her. vocally, she is great, yet she still gets criticism (and takes it well, unlike elise), and stands there graciously without sobbing or having a pity party. in any case, just saying that it doesn’t surprise me that she has fans- tho i also thought she’d be gone (like pia). i think she’s a little more appealing than pia though, b/c she’s a little more bubbly and outgoing with the other contestants versus pia who was too posed on a pedastil (and/or shy).

agraiza

Posted at 8:38 PM on April 19, 2012

Jessica did a good rendition of the songs and for me she justified it and I am sure she will continue to the next round
in her idol journey.I love Jessica so much ………GO JESSICA
:)))))

dawn

Posted at 4:12 AM on April 21, 2012

You are right, since day one, American idol found the best, and it is Jessica!!! The very reason why people around the world loved her, she can sing well, with elegance and style. They found the BEST, and that is JESSICA!!!

Kylie

Posted at 4:17 PM on April 19, 2012

Elise didn’t use the “Future dead dog” thing as a cry for votes, as I recall Ryan Seacrest asked her… She didn’t seem to even want to talk about it. This is a useless topic.

Barbara

Posted at 3:00 PM on April 19, 2012

I think Holly is good but needs some vocal training. I think Colton is just not a star. I think Elise is good but I dont see a star quality in her. I think Jessica is really good but she is young and needs some experience. I think Skylar is good but only on country music. I think Joshua should go home. I think Phillip is great and I hope he wins.

gbtw

Posted at 4:51 PM on April 19, 2012

haha… short and sweet! agree with some… but, i think jessica is already there (not in need of as much experience as her older peers), and i’m still hoping joshua stops screaming and shows us a real soft emotion- cuz he’s good. i want philip to do well in life, but i’m bored by him.

somebody

Posted at 12:14 AM on April 20, 2012

i agree, philips is boring.

Oddie

Posted at 1:21 AM on April 20, 2012

I agree, Joshua should stop screaming…

Krystal

Posted at 12:39 AM on April 20, 2012

hmm you think joshua should go home and have no explanation for why, yet you think philip should win…are you from the south? the only reason you want joshua gone is because he’s black. if philip was black or different (like colton) you would think that his performances are dry and hard to connect with. why do i think this? because ITS TRUE! vote with your ear not your eyes racist, its a singing competition not a competition for who should be the next statue of liberty.

Monic

Posted at 2:23 AM on April 20, 2012

Krystal,
Only black always bring-up racism. That means you are black.
Im neither black nor white, and all these people have given you the correct answer, Joshue is screaming and screeching all the time I just change channel whenever he sings! but fantasia is different, she can sing abt any songs and its beautiful to me.

catu

Posted at 9:49 PM on April 25, 2012

As a southerner I find your comment extremely offensive! I am hoping Phillip takes the whole thing and I like Joshua as well! His musical style is just not my cup of tea as much as Phillip’s. Just because someone doesn’t like Joshua and likes Phillip doesn’t make them a Southern racist. But it’s a rather racist thing for you to automatically think that way, perhaps you need to judge not with your eyes. *appalled*

Trudy

Posted at 2:13 PM on April 19, 2012

Honestly if Elise or Jessica went home, I would be happy. Can;t stand Elise’s attitude since day one. When she’s on the bottome three she wasn’t even hugging anyone like everyone else, until they said she was safe and then she was all smiles. Jessica can sing a good song but she is sooooooooooo overrated!!! This last week she was screaming and killing songs what and why do the judges give her a standing ovation? I don’t get it. To me, Colton was off but I love him and Phillip. If any of the two girls I mentioned earlier go home, I would hang the flag!!!!!

MR

Posted at 1:35 PM on April 19, 2012

I find listening to the judges the hardest part of watching that show. Having to endure Elise singing one song a night is bad enough, but two last night. She makes my ears bleed and I hope she goes tonight. Im glad Hollie had a spectacular night, even though she sang an over played song, and got great reviews. She has an incredible voice and hope she goes far. Unfortunately it will probably come down to Phillip and Colton, although I think Phillip is amazing even though he sings a style of music i dont listen to. Im not a huge Elise or Joshua fan but the others have exceptional talent and im sure will go far in life.

Pink Panther

Posted at 10:28 PM on April 19, 2012

Please AI, groom n market the winner to be CHAMPION n REAL DIVA.

Not just winner today n forgotten tomorrow.