'16 & Pregnant' Recap: Alex & Arabella Are Abandoned By Matt

Wed, April 18, 2012 1:05am EDT by 21 Comments
16 & Pregnant Recap

Poor Alex had to raise a baby, work two jobs and attend school with no support from her ‘dead beat’ baby daddy Matt!

The April 17 episode of 16 & Pregnant introduced us to a high school couple from Neffs, Penn., who fell in love two years before getting pregnant — but Alex Sekella and Matt McCann didn’t realize how difficult raising a baby would be. Matt agreed with Alex’s mom, Wendy, that adoption was the best option, but Alex didn’t think she’d be able to give up her baby girl once she is born.

Matt was pretty irresponsible — and on probation — while Alex worked two jobs, one at a fast food restaurant and the other giving children dance lessons. She was working part-time for minimum wage and walked a mile to work!

Alex told her friends that getting pregnant was an “oopsie kinda thing” and the cost of Plan B was too much — even though it’s only $50!

Along with her constantly disappearing boyfriend, Alex had to make decisions regarding the baby by herself. If she kept the baby, she would have to move out her mother’s house; or she had to resort to adoption, which she did not want to do.

“Adoption is a good option, but my heart says no,” Alex said.

Just when Alex didn’t think she had any other option, she received an opportunity to give the baby up, but still have close contact with her! Her friend Brianna‘s parents, Michelle and Darren, offered to adopt Alex’s baby. They told her they wanted to step in and help, but added that they really wanted her to be present.

Matt thought it would give their baby better opportunities to give her up, and with the baby being so close, they could still be in her life — but Alex didn’t think she could be that close to the baby, while other people raise her.

Brianna’s parents mentioned a room for rent next door that Alex could stay in and pay rent in order to be close to the baby. Alex decided immediately to move in — and that day, she went into labor! After contractions, an epidural, 18 hours of labor and, shockingly, Matt by her side the entire time, Arabella Elizabeth was born. So cute!

The new parents fell in love with the baby instantly, but were still undecided on whether they are giving the baby to Brianna’s parents or bringing her home.

They sadly broke the news to Michelle and Darren, and decided to keep baby Arabella.

Unsurprisingly, Matt eventually stopped showing up to visit the baby. Weeks later, Alex realized how hard it was to pay rent and support her baby, so her mother allowed her to come home.

Slowly but surely, some better things started happening for Alex. Her grandfather gave her a working car and she signed up for cyber school to stay home and take care of Arabella.

Alex was having a tough time raising and supporting her without Matt, then finally came to her senses and said she didn’t want him near their daughter ever again. He showed no emotion and walked away!

Alex continued juggling work, school and parenting, but insists her dream of owning her own dance studio is not out of reach.

“I don’t want to throw it out the window just because I had a baby,” she insists.

HollywoodLifers, what did YOU think of the episode?

More ’16 & Pregnant’ News:

1. ’16 & Pregnant’ Preview: Alex Sekella Fights With Her Baby Daddy
  2. Ex ’16 & Pregnant’ Star Ebony Jackson-Rendon Pregnant Again
  3. ’16 & Pregnant’ Preview: Meet Pregnant Cage Fighter Lindsey Harrison

Tom

Posted at 10:14 AM on May 5, 2012

Am I the only one that sided with Matt the entire episode? I mean, yeah, he’s a drug addict, but the whole show he was telling Alex that he wasn’t going to be there and that there was no way they would be able to raise their child. Still, she was like “I can’t believe he’s not here!” He’s a drug addict! You expected him to be there? Personally, I think it’s irresponsible for her to expect him to be there. I mean, this guy is clearly not fit to be a parent, and he even acknowledged that throughout the entire episode. She had every opportunity to give that child up for adoption to people she knew would take care of her, but no. For her to sit there to say it’s extremely difficult to live with a baby at 16 (which I don’t doubt that it is), I’ll bet you MTV paid her a GOOD sum to be on this show, rendering this “reality” show unrealistic. Just my opinion.

Jaci

Posted at 9:04 PM on April 25, 2012

Someone should seriously clue Alex in to the fact that Matt is a total junkie, he was sluring and noddin out the whole episode and i promise that wasn’t a hangover

Sinclair

Posted at 7:31 AM on April 21, 2012

It is painfully obvious Matt is an addict and very alarming that the MTV documentary crew did not highlight or even address this frightening fact. This show was originally created to educate teens, while drug use is not the common subject of 16 and pregnant it scares me that this went unmentioned.

Profuse sweating, drowsiness, bleary eyes, inability to pay attention, slurred speech…all of these are tell-tale signs of an opiate addiction, whether it be heroin or prescription drug abuse.

Hopefully Matt will be in attendance in the final interview with Dr. Drew, whom I am sure will bring this obvious drug addiction to light.

I hope that this child is given everything it deserves and both parents can get the immediate help they need.

Snoodle

Posted at 1:40 AM on April 25, 2012

Sinclair, I was thinking the same thing. In the after-show, Alex uses the word “addiction” to describe Matt’s problem, and I wanted to shout, “AMEN! At least she sees reality.”

That kid was strung the hell out for all 90 minutes. Perhaps MTV didn’t want to turn this episode of 16&P into an episode of Intervention, but it was already happening, so they needed to acknowledge it. What a horrendous situation. Where were his parents?

faith

Posted at 8:33 PM on April 20, 2012

i commend her on not letting anyone pressure to get rid of her daughter. regardless of how she conceived her daughter and regardless of what age, no baby is a mistake in the eyes of God. hopefully she’s able to pull everything together and give arabella everything she deserves. shes one of the few moms who actually showed how much of a struggle it is to be a mom so young.

missymay

Posted at 11:26 AM on April 20, 2012

I’m hoping Alex get herself together, move away from her mother, her sorry daughters father and never look back. She needs to erase these negative people out of her and her daughters lives.

missymay

Posted at 11:11 AM on April 20, 2012

Let those who are without sin cast the first stone vanessa. I’m sure their is something in your life not all good. Big or small sin is sin. Sex out of wedlock is a sin but a lot of people do it. Are you one of these people? Don’t judge people. Aex can always ask for forgiveness from the person who really matters.

missymay

Posted at 10:54 AM on April 20, 2012

I feel so sorry for Alex. Having every adult around you pressuring you to give up a child when it is so wrong for Alex is heartless. How can a mother ram abortion down her childs throat? Why would she feel the friends parents can do better for the child. As for the friends parents, that woman wanted a baby so bad I knew she would never encourage Alex to keep her daughter.

Tracy

Posted at 10:27 PM on April 19, 2012

I read that she was on an antibiotic while taking her birth control and that’s how she ended up pregnant. If so I feel bad for the child because her father is a heroin addict. It’s so obvious! Also for the amount of times she mentioned how he was “partying” you would think she knew it was something greater than drinking or smoking weed. I also wish these girls would get this ridiculous idea that they can change someone out of their little heads.

luvvedone

Posted at 9:11 PM on April 19, 2012

I can’t stand her mother or baby daddy. They r all about themselves. She wants to deal with the consequences of having unprotected sex. She stepped up to the plate and she seems like she is going to be a great mother. It’s hard but she can do it. God is great.

Vanessa

Posted at 11:57 PM on April 18, 2012

All her suffering and drama could of been avoided if she didnt spread her legs wide open PERIOD .
You are the architect of your own future or destiny, so the people that say !Aaaww poor alex, aww hang in there alex, she did it to herself, at age 16 i knew what was right from wrong, what goes up and what goes down , so dont give me that crap about being young and no responsabilities, she knew what type of guy he was and how he changed, which by the looks of it , a total loser, young , broke , and a druggie, and she is stupid for asking him for money when she knows deep down that he has no INTEREST in her or the baby, he has no interest in getting a job or helping her with the child, so save your breath and ask MTV for a pay check, since you are a “REALITY STAR” now . : /

Jennifer

Posted at 9:09 PM on April 18, 2012

We can all sit and judge and say what should have been the best route for Alex to take. She made the choice that she felt was right. I am sure she knew it wouldnt be easy but you have to give her credit for giving it her all. She works two jobs , continues her education via cyber school. As for her choice in baby daddies maybe he wasnt always like that, maybe when your 16 and no responsibility it doesnt seem “all that bad “, I think whatever the case you could tell Alex stepped up and knew that behavior wasnt something she wanted around her daughter. Will Alex make mistakes as a parent yes but who doesnt it happens at all ages not just young kids. I have seen alot of bashing in regards to this eposide.. Alex’s mom was giving tough love it may not be what “YOU” would have done but it appears she just wanted to get her daughter to make sure she made the decision that would be the best. You could see the worry and struggles when she talked to Alex . As for all of Matt’s sweatiness although he was probably high I can attest to how hot it was in PA that time last year. We were all sweating our butts off if not in air conditioning .

jojo

Posted at 8:24 PM on April 18, 2012

This was a very sad episode,her baby daddy is worthless and her mom should be ashamed trying to make alex give her baby up for adoption at least alex was still in school and had a job and the part when matt didnt show up to babysit and the mom still left you are a messed up mom for that u had plans to go eat u could have took your grandbaby with you instead of only thinking about youeself lady

Erin

Posted at 5:06 PM on April 18, 2012

This was a very sad episode. I completely understand her pain with giving the baby up for adoption. She knew that giving the baby up for adoption would give her a better life, both of them, but she also knew how hard it would be. I have to agree with her. If I were in her shoes then or now, I’d be emotionally attached also. I understand her pain and where she is coming from, and I don‘t think of her any less for keeping the baby. The major problem in this situation is the dead-beat-dad. Wow what’s up with that crazy dude? He’s definitely on crack or something. She did mention his crack head friends… he must be a crack head himself. He’s totally out of it the entire episode, sweating, acting weird, what the heck. I think MTV should’ve intervened and during this episode he should’ve received an intervention and some rehab. I am surprised the fact that he looked like a complete drug addict wasn’t mentioned more. I actually sorta feel bad for him… he obviously has some serious issues. I really hope he gets help so they can become a family. Maybe getting off the drugs will bring him back to reality and he will realize the important things in life. Can’t entirely blame him though, he warned her he might not be there, and where are this kids parents? He needs help…

LB

Posted at 12:45 PM on April 18, 2012

Ever heard of sophistication? That’s what Alex said after screwing over her landlady who gave her a break! I’m sorry but I find it hard to believe she got pregnant on birth control AND a condom, did she pay attention to the moron she got pregnant by? I mean that guys always sweaty and out of it like he’s coming down off dope he probably didn’t even know who he was having sex with let alone remembered to put on a condom!!! Unreal and sad and pathetic!!! Yet she kept trying to rely on that idiot to help her by asking him to babysit, ok when you watch your own child it’s called parenting and that guy had NO interest in doing that!!

Lori

Posted at 12:34 PM on April 18, 2012

Wow! I was a teen mom myself ironically my daughter’s name is Alex and is now 13. This story had many emotions for me. Even though I was a teen mom I still graduated, went to college, became a nurse but my daughter’s father(who is still my husband and we have 2 boys) got a job full time right when I found out I was pregnant and has worked ever since. I guess it I think that bf of hers is the biggest loser BUT he said over and over he can’t afford it! He pretty much told her he wouldn’t be there for them! Her mom had me confused too. What changed her mind? She was so hell bent on NOT letting them live with her I mean yes people can change their minds I just didn’t think she would! If I could say something being a teen mom myself to these girls I’d say think very hard! My youngest was born with one of the most extreme cases of autism there is when you’re pregnant you never think as a teen at least I didnt anyway of having a disabled child and the terror that comes with it! I love my kids and wouldn’t trade them for the world, but I have to agree with whoever commented about some of these girls treating the baby as like a new puppy or something. Yes their cute, but expensive isn’t even the word to describe the price of raising kids especially as a teen!!! I wish Alex luck and have to commend her for working at least she does that a lot of them don’t!!

michelle

Posted at 10:51 AM on April 18, 2012

Totally not fit to be a mother yet. I dont understand why she didnt give the baby up for adoption to her friends mom! Also that man of hers! What did she see in him anyways, He looked drunk or stoned the whole episode!If I were her mom, I wouldnt have let her back home, She needs to learn it on her own. And yes I agree with you Janet… Homely looking thats forsure and her friends. I also dont see a dancer in her either.

swag

Posted at 10:29 AM on April 18, 2012

Firstly, this girl is a CHILD herself. She should have given the baby up for adoption, at least she would have been part of the child’s life. I am sure the child would have been loved and well taken care of. The kids on 16 and pregnant think kids are like puppies, but after the cute “awww” stage, you still have to take of the dog and child.

Doris

Posted at 9:04 AM on April 18, 2012

Well don’t get me started on this STUPID az girl, first off if she knew he was a drug addict WHY? WHY? Open your legs. Second first clue he didn’t want nothing HELLO suggesting adoption. DUH! OMG I haven’t seen a more STUPID GIRL THEN HER.

janet

Posted at 6:42 AM on April 18, 2012

OMG I have never seen so many ugly girls in one town ! I bet the cows look better,and probably a lot smarter! And Alex is a dancer? Are you kidding me????? STUPID STUPID girls with NO self respect and her mother is so fake all she does is make sure she is ON CAMERA stating everything she did to prevent little ms fugly from becoming the inevetiable-the town punch board.

Christina

Posted at 2:25 AM on April 18, 2012

I feel so bad, for Alex… I know its hard but hang in there. Alex.. Try finding a trusted babysitter that works from home.. They are better, cheaper then any day care. Also figure out how much money you make in a month, then figure out how much is needed to take care of your baby.. Wherever you do dont give up.. It will get easier.. Do what ever you got to do to find reliable help .. And a sitter.. Keep making phone calls.. Until you find what works for you. You have to focus on your baby .. Ans do everything as if you where on your own .. Do not rely on matt.. Btw he always looks like hes high.