'Giuliana & Bill' Recap: The Couple Chooses A Surrogate

Tue, April 17, 2012 11:01pm EDT by 27 Comments
Giuliana Rancic Video

Giuliana and Bill take a huge leap of faith when they decide to go through a gestational carrier to have a baby! While the idea of trusting a stranger to carry their child is scary, they decide it’s their last best option.

With Giuliana Rancic‘s double mastectomy quickly approaching, she and hubby Bill Rancic prep for the daunting surgery by shifting their focus to something much happier — baby plans!

When their doctor suggests they consider surrogacy, Giuliana balks at first. It’s not an option she and Bill have considered, and she admits the idea is foreign to her.

“It’s like a matchmaking service, but youre not finding someone to love, you’re finding someone to carry your child,” she says.

The couple weighs their options in a meeting with professionals from a surrogacy agency, who reassure them that while they’ll have to give up a little control — Giuliana comes to terms with the fact that she can’t REALLY control whether another woman drinks soda or eats transfat while pregnant, for example  — it’s worth it if it means she and Bill can have a baby.

But before they can decide whether they want to try to pursue surrogacy, the couple has to focus on making the talk show rounds in New York. Though her nerves are through the roof, Giuliana puts on her bravest face when she and Bill reveal her decision to have a double mastectomy on the Today show. Her poise while telling Ann Curry what Bill said that convinced her to go through with the surgery is SO inspiring!

“He said, ‘I just need you around for the next 50 years, kid. I don’t care what you look like. I don’t care about the physical portion, lets just get you healthy.’”

Amazingly, Giuliana and Bill manage to laugh about her upcoming surgery when they talk about her breasts –and the implants Bill picked out for her reconstruction surgery! — on The Wendy Williams Show.

“I’m doing reconstruction at the same time, so they might come out looking even hotter!” Giuliana jokes. “You gotta have fun with this.”

Unexpectedly, the perfect surrogacy candidate expresses interest in meeting Giuliana and Bill, and after just one meeting, the couple signs a contract with her. It’s frightening for both of them to take the leap, but down-to-earth Bill puts it all in perspective, reminding Giuliana that at this point in their lives, it’s their best option.

And he couldn’t be more encouraging as Giuliana packs her bags the night before her mastectomy.

“I’m not going to leave your side,” he tells his wife. “We’re going to get thru this and we’re going to be better than ever. It’s going to be Rancic 2.0.”

Aww!

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Did Giuliana and Bill make the right decision by choosing a surrogate?

– Kaydi Poirier

More ‘Giuliana & Bill’

1. ‘Giuliana & Bill’ Recap: Giuliana Decides To Remove Her Breasts
  2. ‘Giuliana & Bill’ Recap: Giuliana Learns She Has Breast Cancer
  3. Bill Rancic Tells Giuliana: ‘You’re More Beautiful Now Than Ever’

samantha ndebele

Posted at 1:21 PM on October 5, 2012

im so happy for you guys,im a 21yr female from south africa i had hysterectomy and lost my baby same time after giving birth this year july,i was so deppressed and still in pains, not knowing where to begin,but i’ve seen your program i was so inspired and very touched,god his there for us he has a reason to make us go this pain,thankfully he had answered you guys and give you a beautiful baby so wish to be you.

cherise

Posted at 10:42 PM on May 15, 2012

I think it is great! They could have also saved a childs life by adoption, but I am happy for them.

Louise Eakins

Posted at 12:39 AM on May 4, 2012

I never miss this show and feel as if I know this couple.
I.m so happy for them and new baby on the way.God bless you both..

Luanne luce

Posted at 9:10 PM on April 23, 2012

My blessings to the both of you I watch the show faithfully and have cried along with you I do believe that with faith anything is possible you just have to believe in it your story has touched my heart especially in a world when so many children are being treated so unfair and those who would be the best parents including myself don’t get the opportunity but your news has brought joy to my heart for the both of you your baby will be so lucky lulu

traci

Posted at 6:22 PM on April 22, 2012

I just wanted to say I wish you both the best on staying cancer free and wish you luck with having a baby.sending prayers your way.

CARMEL J. WOLF

Posted at 5:40 PM on April 21, 2012

GIULIANA AND BILL , YOU ARE A REAL INSPIRATION TO ME.I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER IN JUNE OF 2011.I HAD A MASECTOMY IN AUGUST. I NOW AM FACING A SECOND MASTECTOMY IN THE Fall,IT IS FOR PREVENTATIVE MEASURES.I ALSO HAD 4 ROUNDS OF CHEM OVER 4MONTHS AND 32 RADIATION TREATMENTS.IT WAS AWFUL.IAM 65 YRS. OLD AND MY GENETICS ARE CRAZY BAD. THERE WERE 11 FAMILY MEMBERS WITH BREAST CANCER ON MY FATHERS SIDE.MY BRAC TEST WAS NEGATIVE .THANK GOD. GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE WITH YOUR SURROGATE AND STARTING A FAMILY.I LOVE YOUR T.V. SHOW GOD BLESS YOU BOTH AND YOUR FAMILIES.

carmel j.wolf

Posted at 5:49 PM on April 23, 2012

god bless and congradulations on your wonderful baby news.

Jennifer

Posted at 3:06 PM on April 21, 2012

Let me start by saying you both are amazing! Watching you and Bill gives me some hope that there are still decent men out there. My mom and grandmother had breast cancer and I have been getting mammos since I was in my early 30’s because of it. I am now 39 and for a few years I did not have insurance but I finally have it and I have been putting it off due to multiple health issues with my girls. After seeing the latest episode I have decided to not put this off any longer! I hope your surgerys went well. My mom choose radiation and regretted it afterwards. She had some side affects and then the worry that it might come back is always there. I so hope this next episode is where you find out that all your dreams come true. I pray that she is pregnant and maybe even that it is twins boy and girl. I hope and pray all is well.

Leonie Vermeulen

Posted at 12:09 PM on April 21, 2012

Hi there Bill and Giuliana,
I am writing to you from sunny South Africa. Giuliana, I am very, very sad to hear that you have to undergo a double mastectomy. Life is just not fair but … in all of this God is great! Bill, I am so proud of you to stand by your wife. Both of you have been through such a lot together, but, in the end you will emerge at the other end a much stronger couple and individuals. I am also married and have been happilly married for 22 years. My husband is like both of you – a very good, rock solid and level headed person – the greatest ever – I call him my “perfect” husband! I has not always been easy but, one stands by your partner through thick and thin. Both Chris and I are avid watchers of your program as we find both of you such good and solid people. Giuliana, we love Papa and Mamma de Pandi – now we understand why you are what you are Giuliana – you are the salt of the earth. You and Bill really and truly deserve one another!! Always remember, no matter how dark and long the “storm” – by standing by and leaning upon each other – you WILL get through the storm as so many times before – as Bill always says – Rancic’s NEVER quit and quiters never win! Good luck with the upcoming operation – both of you will be in our thoughts and prayers! We would really like to correspond with you on a regular basis if this would be in order with you. Regards, Chris and Leonie Vermeulen

Gail

Posted at 4:46 PM on April 20, 2012

It will be all worth everything that you went through when you have the baby in your arms. My husband and I went through 7years of every option that is out there. We adopted embryos from a family that had gone through in vitro and had embryos left frozen so went through an agency in California. We would not change a thing on everything that we went through because we can only see our lives with this beautiful boy that we
Were blessed with. By the way I had just turned 46 when I had him and the pregnancy was great with no issues.

Mandy

Posted at 5:13 PM on April 19, 2012

You guys are strong and brave. You make me believe in love. I know that God wil answer your prayer and your desires wil be fulfilled. I wil keep you in my prayers. Stay blessed

Michelle P

Posted at 9:25 AM on April 19, 2012

My heart goes out to you both as you go through this. You both are very strong and gods plan for you could not be clearer. The most important thing is to have a happy healthy baby no matter what of who carries this baby. God bless you both!

Holly M

Posted at 5:27 AM on April 18, 2012

God bless you both!!! He has a Master plan so jut try to “Let Go & Let God” lead you down your path. Know I send prayers to you both often!

Natalie

Posted at 1:00 AM on April 18, 2012

I loved this episode! Of course the surgery will be difficult but now there is a light at the other end. God bless them and God bless the baby on the way! **fingers crossed** :)

nancy l.

Posted at 1:00 AM on April 18, 2012

It amazes me how strong both of you are and how you keep plowing
Through all of these obstacles. You give me strength to endure my problems. Thanks for all you do by sharing your life.

Terry hartog

Posted at 12:54 AM on April 18, 2012

I pray that the call from the Doc is good news. I hope those where tears of joy.

sonia

Posted at 1:28 AM on April 18, 2012

me too. it would be heart breaking if the embryo didnt take.

Kelly

Posted at 12:44 AM on April 18, 2012

Giuliana, because of you I have an appointment for my first Mammogram at the age of 44 this Saturday….Thank you for sharing your story ….I am praying for you and Bill..and wish you all the best…<3

Tina

Posted at 12:43 AM on April 18, 2012

Doesn’t Giuliana have a sister who has had children? Can her sister carry the child for her? That would alleviate her concerns about a stranger carrying her child.

Natalie

Posted at 1:03 AM on April 18, 2012

I was wondering why Bill’s sister or her sister had not offered to carry the baby? I know it is a huge responsibility… But would be such a blessing!

JT

Posted at 3:18 PM on April 19, 2012

…coming from the fertility world myself, I would say her sister and sister in law are older and she would have a better chance of an embryo taking in a 20 somethings body which I’m sure is the age of the donor. They are better off using a third party who they will not see on a regular basis.
If these embryos do not take, her next step would be egg donor with a gestational carrier or adoption.

Leslie Dickinson

Posted at 12:36 AM on April 18, 2012

Bill and Guiliana’s story should be made into a documentary. Their love is awe inspiring and both are so brave. I know that a baby will find a way into their lives and I am betting eventually she will also become pregnant. I have been dealt that horrible cancer card and can truly relate to all feelings that have been so honestly expressed, Thanks for sharing,

Judi Haase

Posted at 12:34 AM on April 18, 2012

Hopefully she is having a subcutaneous mastectomy, not letting a doctor destroy her mind and body. I had one 20 years ago and am so happy I took control and was proactive.

Terri

Posted at 12:34 AM on April 18, 2012

This is not their last hope. Their are many children here in the US or other places that need to be adopted and have great parents. They would be great. And they can also wait 5 years and try on her own to have a baby like the doctor recommended. Either way I hope they are successful. Cancer sucks. My Mom died at 61 and my brother at 25 both from cancer and my father died at 55 from a heart attack. I hope one day they can find a cure for cancer if one is not out there somewhere. I mean look how many drug companies and Oncologists that would go broke if they had a cure. Makes u think. Look at Magic Johnson he has had Aids for a long time and he looks healthy. But then again he has money to pay a lot of people to be healthy. Now I am not saying he I cured but he sure does not look like Aids patients I have seen.

jojo

Posted at 12:13 AM on April 18, 2012

May u be blessed with a new addition to your family.. u would make great parents. Best of luck and may the lord be with u…

Geena

Posted at 11:24 PM on April 17, 2012

I think it is great. I love them as a couple. I hope that she has the baby that she wants. Who knows maybe after the five year wait she can get pregnant and carry her baby. Either way I am happy for them.

danielle aguilar

Posted at 11:46 PM on April 17, 2012

I am soooo happy for them I can’t wait till next week to see if they are preggo, I love there love and Bill is such a great supporter and I have nothing but best wisbhes and prayers for them and I know they will get there babies and be great parents.