'The Voice' Recap: Christina & Blake Send 2 Contestants Packing

Mon, April 16, 2012 10:56pm EDT by 220 Comments

Do you think the right contestants were sent home? Read our full recap & tell us!

The Voice‘s live shows continued April 16 — but with a twist! Both Christina Aguilera and Blake Shelton had to eliminate one member from each of their teams at the end of the night even before America even got a chance to vote.

Raelynn, the crown jewel of Blake’s team, opened the show and was once again impressive; She’s definitely the one to beat. Then Erin Willet took on Adele, but didn’t quite hit it out of the park. This was the second time someone took on the Grammy Award-winning singer, and I have to say I think her songs should be banned. They sound completely off when someone else sings them. Fortunately, Jermaine Paul closed out the performances for Team Blake, and he was definitely my favorite of the night.

From Christina’s team, Jesse Campbell took the stage first. He was followed by Ashley De La Rosa, who unfortunately wasn’t any better than the week before. The coaches thought she did a good job, but I found her performance to be a bit forgettable. Lindsey Pavao took on Katy Perry, and while she tried to make the song a bit more rock, the performance totally died out in the verses and her pitch was off. This was something Adam Levine pointed out, but didn’t want to criticize, since he has his pitch problems of his own. Chris Mann was the last of the night, but like Adam, I felt his performance of “Viva La Vida,” was odd.

Christina took the stage with her and her team for her first group performance this season, and although she looked a bit stiff in her leotard and heels, the performance was decent. She also had male strippers surround Blake and throw dollar bills at him, which was amazing after several episodes of hearing him complain about the male dancers on stage with the female contestants. The night also included a performance by Team Blake, as well as a song by Maroon 5 and Wiz Khalifa.

When it finally came down to elimination time the options weren’t as hard, but they were definitely shocking. Christina sent fan-favorite Jesse home, which I still don’t understand, and Blake sent Jordis Unga packing. Tomorrow night, two more will be eliminated and two will remain on each team.

Do you think Jesse and Jordis were the right contestants to go? Drop a comment with your thoughts on tonight’s shocking eliminations!

— Milly Contreras

More on ‘The Voice’

1. ‘The Voice’ Eliminations, Round 2: Four More Finalists Say Goodbye
  2. ‘The Voice’ Live Shows Round 2: Jamar Rogers Owns The Night
  3. Lionel Richie Admits He’s Not A Fan Of Talent Shows Like ‘The Voice’

david

Posted at 7:31 AM on April 17, 2012

Either Christina was instructed to get rid of Jessie by the producers and she complied or Christina does not like Jessie. Jessie was obvioulsy her best performer. Do the producers think that America does not see right through that sham of a rule change to get rid of Jessie. I would like to know the truth.

Savvy

Posted at 2:21 PM on April 17, 2012

You might be on to something. As a musician and someone in the performing Arts am very disappointed. In terms of Melody, Pitch, rendition, arrangement and originality he was one of the best on the entire show. I think if her mantra was growth and versality, she should have given him better songs to shore up those qualities. BTW when was the last time she sang a Rock n roll, or Gospel or reggae or jazz piece. every musician i know have a niche and tend to identify with a genre. but God does not like ugly and when you know down one of his annointed there will be repercussions. He’s not only a great singer he’s annointed. maybe he should go on Sunday Best!

fergie

Posted at 7:30 AM on April 17, 2012

maybe it will have some suprises

Miguel A.

Posted at 6:06 AM on April 17, 2012

It seems that this time around, the show producers and/or judges already have an idea of who/what they want to win…even though the show is called THE VOICE, and Jesse definitely had THE VOICE…unfortunately, that’s not even what it was about any more tonight and VIEWERS DON’T EVEN GET A SAY.
It isn’t right, and the show to me will forever have lost all credibility thanks to this stupidity.

Tammy

Posted at 5:49 AM on April 17, 2012

I think Lindsey Pavao on Christina’s team. Definitely not Jesse

Marissa

Posted at 5:38 AM on April 17, 2012

So now that Jesse and Jordis is eliminated im done with the show. Jesse was my favorite guy on the show an I wished him the best of luck because of what happened to his daughter and him. Now that Christina had no heart and she just eliminates him after his emotional performance and all the impact he has had on the show im not watching. It’s not fair that’s the viewers didn’t have a day to this..I think is should have been Chris and maybe Ashley? Idk but NOT JESSE AND JORDIS

IM DONE

Kathy

Posted at 5:01 AM on April 17, 2012

The ones I feel should have been eliminated was RaeLyn and Ashley.

They had the weakest performances and probably because they are both so young and need more experience.

Blake’s Team was the best performance of the night except when RaeLyn did the one part by herself & did something that sounded like she was making fun the song.

If she is truly The Voice, she will have to learn there is more than Country Music out there.

I would like to see either Erin or Chris move forward after tomorrow’s show.

Also, there seems to be a lot of picking specific song genres for specific singers so they sound their best.

If everyone is supposed to be more than one-dimensional according to a phrase some of the Judges are using this year, then the songs performed should be from different genres and not just one because it makes them sound better.

Personally, I think the singer should be able to choose their songs.

Gina

Posted at 4:51 AM on April 17, 2012

We have to forgive Christina. She’s Bipolar clearly and was in one of her crazy moments.We should boycott the rest of the season to teach her a lesson!

blaize

Posted at 11:40 AM on April 17, 2012

Translation: “A person is crazy if they don’t do things my way.”

Welcome to the de-evolution of America.

amylynn

Posted at 4:22 AM on April 17, 2012

I have always been a huge Christina fan & of the show, but after tonight I have to wonder if her ego is bigger than I thought or if this show is a farse! Jesse & Jordis were bith 2 of the best on the show! Chris & Erin should have went home! Hands down Jesse could have won it. Who cares if ur versitile? You’ll never hear Rhianna singing country or Reba singing R&B! Singers do their genre & thats it! I will watch tomorrow night to see if she gives an explanation, but if they dont bring Jesse back it will be the last episode I ever watch!!

Andi

Posted at 6:06 AM on April 17, 2012

I couldn’t agree with you more! This episode (ending) just pissed me off.

Jeanne

Posted at 1:01 PM on April 17, 2012

Rhianna has sung country – she sang with Jennifer Nettles at a Country Awards show. Chris is a beautiful singer and has tried to go another route. He has a well trained voice. Reba sang with Kelly Clarkson – pop songs. They toured together a couple years ago.

Savvy

Posted at 2:25 PM on April 17, 2012

I totally agree. I think if her mantra was growth and versality, she should have given him diverse songs to shore up those qualities. BTW when was the last time she sang a Rock n roll, or Gospel or reggae or jazz piece. Every musician i know have a niche and tend to identify with a genre. But God does not like ugly and when you knock down one of his annointed there will be repercussions

Agib

Posted at 3:53 AM on April 17, 2012

I stopped watching american idol when adam lambert didn’t win, and I don’t watch Xfactor regularly. I found most of those music competition show predictable in the sense that they go more for look, lifestyle, entertainment and personality than actual music talent. However, the voice launched… I loved the concept. I said to myself here is a show who just go about talent. They chose they contestant based on talent and have them on based on their voice. Well, I was so damn wrong. Christina Aguilera really proved the opposite to me after the elimination of the best singer ever combined all the shows together on this season. The voice will be in my list of historic show… and I urge everyone to stop watching that show. If they want to be like american idol, than they should change their name to something else instead of misleading people. They knew Jesse would have won and put a bring new rules to make sure that he doesnt win. I can go on and on with my frustation… but I hope Jesse suceed and find a much better deal greater than the so called show the voice. Are you ready for this…..??? I HOPE THE VOICE FAIL

sir1bmw

Posted at 4:03 AM on April 17, 2012

SPOT ON…

NJ

Posted at 3:13 AM on April 17, 2012

Done with this show now that they eliminated Jesse. Thanks Voice, just when you were showing such a promising season, you proved to be no better than those “other” shows.

jason

Posted at 3:10 AM on April 17, 2012

Pure fukkin garbage… Jesse Campbell eliminated..???HAHAHA what a fukcing joke Aguilera is… I guess he must have refused here whore advances so she got even… He’s got a contract somewhere anyways… too much talent to let go nowhere… way more than that pompous slut Aguilera… Done with that fukkin show…

Brian

Posted at 3:50 AM on April 17, 2012

Really? If you’re going to refer to women as “whores” and “sluts” like some misogynistic simpleton please at least have the decency to learn how to spell.

Jeff

Posted at 4:33 AM on April 17, 2012

I don’t think they were referring to “women” as whores and sluts…pretty sure they were targeting Xtina exclusively…but you’re right–they do need to learn how to spell!!! =P

blaize

Posted at 11:44 AM on April 17, 2012

Jason, immature sexist idiots like you are what’s wrong with America. You’re worse than Rush Limbaugh.

sir1bmw

Posted at 3:03 AM on April 17, 2012

Anthony Evans & Jesse Campbell can BEAT anyone in XTINA team -even other teams,ask all people who watch in our home theater with 7.1 full stereo DTS surround on a 80 inches 1080p HDTV.Every Monday,our friends & relatives watch with us and every time Jesse performs – ALL OF US are super quiet as we love to feel the way he sing a simple song and how he will put some twist to make it so unique & nice.So, this is FACT and NOT fanboyism!Xtina Aguilera are you high on drugs when you booted out Jesse after Anthony?TNX!

sami

Posted at 3:01 AM on April 17, 2012

Ashley over Jordis? Erin over Jordis? Rae-Lynn is cute, but Jordis has power, so much appeal. It would have been nice to see her get farther–but so much of what she has said in her interview, I think people needed to get more of a handle on who she is by what she sings. Her point was to show everyone she can do morwe than belt it out and knock it out of the water for rock music, so she sang softer edge music. Maybe keeping some rock flare the fans would have been able to understand her more- Jordis Unga was too large for the common mind to understand. She has it all. And we all know she has talent. Show us more of what you got! PLUS Can anyone say GORGEOUS? Hello.

Once was a fan of the show

Posted at 2:55 AM on April 17, 2012

I loved this show and its concept. I even went to go see them live last year on tour. But after seeing Jesse, who had the best & most touching performance of the night plus he has been the best throughout the entire competition, had his named called as being eliminated just made me sick. And to top it all off, Christina has the nerve to say,”Are you ready for it” before she said his name. What a witch. Are you ready for this….I am done with this show. All the other coaches are cool and funny and everything else but Christina has shown here true selfish colors for the last time. I hope Jamar does well but I will not be watching any of the shows anymore. This is pathetic. Thanks Christina. Hope it was worth it.

sami

Posted at 3:04 AM on April 17, 2012

I don’t get the vibe Christina was meaning to do harm by her “are you ready?”. It is true; America are you ready? The answer was no. We weren’t ready, we thought he surely should have remained a few more rounds (if not win). But the good thing is…Jesse has heart. He has Jesus. He is going to do great things with or without the show. And at the end of the day…The Voice is a tv show.

Sabra

Posted at 2:28 PM on April 17, 2012

That’s exactly what I say. Jesse is annointed and God don’t like Ugly

Cesar

Posted at 2:36 AM on April 17, 2012

Excellent decision by Christina! Jesse quietly but forcefully chose his songs and was not taking risk like other contestants. Take him out of his element, and it is clear that he is in no way as versatile or coachable like other contestants…example…Jermaine! Jesse has a great voice but Christina knows that it takes versatility to survive in the industry. He should have paid attention. Besides, why keep watching the show if it’s so predictable…Christina removed a safe sideliner and has added mystery to the show!

Boiner53

Posted at 2:42 AM on April 17, 2012

Yea , it’s going to be a mystery alright because no one is going to watch the show.

sir1bmw

Posted at 3:07 AM on April 17, 2012

Are you f u c k i n g kidding ME? It was STUPID XTINA chose HALO for JESSE even its a hard song. Even some of my professional singer friend told me that HALO for a guy is not easy BUT Jesse pulled it off. Show me guy that can sing HALO much better than Jesse… Lots of MORONS now here!!!

jason

Posted at 3:14 AM on April 17, 2012

get outta here Christina… you fukced up… I mean YOU’RE fukced up…

Marta

Posted at 8:13 AM on April 17, 2012

Me and my husband love this show until yesterday. Every monday it became our favority program: watch the voice at 8.pm after. After Jesse’s unbelieveble elimination I don’t feel like watching anymore. How come they create new rules and eliminate the best singer of the competition? I don’t care about internal reasons of keeping the mistery. America didn’t deserve to have a say? Hard to believe on this program after this….

Boiner53

Posted at 2:34 AM on April 17, 2012

It seems the producers wanted to get rid of Jesse. Why else suddenly change the format and make a coach eliminate a contestant? Now the playing field is level. Jesse was the VOICE. Three seconds and four chairs. Not really worth watching now.

jason

Posted at 3:20 AM on April 17, 2012

spot on …. B53… who’s gonna give a s h i t now to watch a show filled with a pompous twat… hope their fukcing ratings drop like Guido with cement feet…

Jessefan

Posted at 2:26 AM on April 17, 2012

I can’t believe Jesse was sent home!!!! He is super talented and deserves to be the Voice winner. I don’t know what the hell Xtina was smoking. I’m not watching the voice anymore after tonight!

G. Manies

Posted at 2:18 AM on April 17, 2012

What is wrong with this picture?? Something is not making sense. Christina eliminating Jesse?? Au, come on…Her
strongest singer? Anyone knows Erin or Ashley should have
been the one to go. Whats up, for real?????

essie

Posted at 2:08 AM on April 17, 2012

Xtina has spoilt the show for most of us…we need a reason as to why she sent Jesse home or we are boycotting the show.
I am very disappointed.
This was a really good show…the producers need to get rid of her.

fijibroad

Posted at 2:04 AM on April 17, 2012

Is Christina crazy? She sent the only singer with real talent home tonight. Insane!!!

A. Stewart

Posted at 2:03 AM on April 17, 2012

I watched the voice tonight and yes I too was sadden to see two very excellent singers eliminated. I went to the LA auditions with a friend and after standing outside in the rain for two hours listening to the most amazing singers that I have ever heard. Then watching 10,000 people go through the LA Convention Center and was told that they would only select 15 people and that they only had 15 seconds to perform a verse of their song. I was on the the fence thinking BS; but after tonight the voice can go to and excuse the expression HE Double Hockey Sticks! I’m going back to watching Dancing With The Stars at least they are real…

Barbara Rosado

Posted at 2:02 AM on April 17, 2012

I do not feel it was the best decision I love Jordis and feel she had one of the best Voices in the Team.

Chrissy

Posted at 1:58 AM on April 17, 2012

JESSE! JESSE! JESSE! Bring in the wild card!!!

Mia

Posted at 1:54 AM on April 17, 2012

Wow Christina…you are such an idiot! Unbelievably stupid decision on her part. Does she want fans to hate her or something!?!?! If he doesn’t get back on The Voice this show will most certainly lose a large handful of viewers.

Do I Really Have to Put a Name Here?

Posted at 1:53 AM on April 17, 2012

Dia frampton should make a guest appearance

LP

Posted at 2:57 AM on April 17, 2012

Could it be THEY knew Jesse was going to win? Politics? The world hasn’t heard the last of him!