A Five-Year-Old Dies From Accidental Cough Medicine Overdose

Mon, April 16, 2012 8:58am EDT by 3 Comments
Child Dies Cough Medicine

Inaccurately measuring medicine for your children can be fatal — beware parents, don’t accidentally OD your kids!

A five-year-old girl named Kimber Michelle Brown has died from ingesting nearly two-and-half times the limit of dextromethorphan, an ingredient found in cough medicine.

The young girl of Hermosa, Colorado was in the care of her grandmother Linda Sheets, who treated Kimber for her flulike symptoms, La Plata County Coroner Carol Huser tells The Daily Mail.

Kimber only weighed 46 pounds and ingested double the amount of medicine needed, making a lethal combination.

Kimber died on February 12 and the coroner ruled her death an accident. Before her passing, Kimber suffered leg pain, cramps and muscle spasms, which are all signs of toxicity and the body system shutting down, according to Dr. Huser.

“In my opinion, the combination of these drugs, which were the ingredients of the over-the-counter medications with which Kimber was being treated, caused her death,” says Dr. Huser.

The parents of Kimber, Raelyn Anderson-Brown and Mike Brown, were advised to use extra precaution when administering over-the-counter drugs to kids.

HollyMoms, this tragic death is a warning to take every precaution when giving your small children medicine!

More HollyBaby News:

  1. Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie’s Marriage Will Give Their Kids Security, Experts Say
  2. Hilary Duff Is Happy ‘To Not Be Pregnant’
  3. Vanessa Minnillo Talks Pregnancy: ‘I Think About Everything I Eat’

Leave a Reply

To comment, please fill in the fields below, enter your comment and select the Comment button.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

View Comment

Juliet

Posted at 6:27 PM on April 16, 2012  

this is so sad i mean only five years old

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

mom of 3

Posted at 1:44 PM on April 16, 2012  

How the hell is this an accident. I’s called someone being neglectful to the child. I understand kids get colds and you give them meds from home but read the instructions people. I give my kids meds as per weight. For her to have two and a half times the amount she should have had someone wasn’t reading the directions at all or just didn’t care.

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter

l

Posted at 9:19 PM on April 16, 2012  

actually its likely one of her parent and her grandmother both gave her medicine making it two and half doses

 Reply
Share this comment at Share with Twitter