'American Idol' Recap: Most Shocking Results Show Yet

Thu, April 12, 2012 9:40pm EDT by 87 Comments
Jessica Sanchez American Idol

Can you believe what happened on tonight’s ‘American Idol’ results shows? I’m still scratching my head!

I don’t think anyone was expecting what happened on American Idol April 11. Even though the song choices weren’t fantastic the night before, I still had the bottom three pegged completely wrong.

Elise Testone, Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez were all at risk of leaving. Elise and Josh were sent back to safety, leaving Jessica(!?) to sing for her life. However, before she even got through the song, all three judges rushed up to the stage and announced they were using their one and only save.

The whole thing should have been really emotional, but it came across to me as staged and dumb. After successfully keeping Jessica for another week, Randy Jackson gave a lecture to America about Jessica being one of the best singers in the country. Blah, blah, blah.

I definitely wasn’t expecting Jessica to be the one who got the boot tonight, although I had a feeling the judges were going to use the save no matter what. At this point, nearly everyone is flawless…which makes decisions like who’s going to win very hard.

Currently, my top three are Colton Dixon, Phillip Phillips and Elise. What did YOU think about tonight’s non-elimination?

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Tany

Posted at 8:39 AM on April 13, 2012

you can tell this was ALL a set up!! because c’mon WE all now that Jessica is the BEST out of all the girls! RIGGED RIGGED RIGGED!!!

yelo

Posted at 7:19 AM on April 13, 2012

My prediction was right but not about Jessica. Well the song is really boring but she still sang it well. And she does not deserve to be out. Next time, choose a good song Jessica! I honestly don’t like most of your picks but your good voice saves you. I don’t get what kind of attitude that other guys were talking about Jessica yesterday.

I’m glad America thought the same as I with Hollie! Judges can save anyone but they can’t change what is America’s concept of good performance.

michael

Posted at 5:45 AM on April 13, 2012

top 3: Elise, Joshua, Jessica – the rest are very ordinary singers – I thought this was a singing competition?

gbtw

Posted at 2:46 PM on April 13, 2012

i guess you and randy got that one wrong! it’s not a singing competition, unfortunately… it’s a popularity contest. which makes me feel very sad for someone with jessica’s talent. b/c she’s clearly the best up there, that she got the least votes screams to her that america just doesn’t like her- for no good reason. i hope the heart ache translates into some very tearful performances… that, i’m looking forward to.

tin2x

Posted at 4:23 AM on April 13, 2012

omge this is drama!!! jessica can really sing ang got the appeal !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lora

Posted at 4:02 AM on April 13, 2012

Love Elise. Believe Philip is good but small range of appeal. Don’t think Skylar will win since Scotty won last year. Holly is cute, has some good moments. Colton will do okay. Dislike how Joshua screams. When he sings, I like. But I am not a fan of anyone screaming or hollering. Believe Jessica is the best singer. She can do Whitney like no other. But I love the way Elise sings and would by her album.

rey

Posted at 3:11 AM on April 13, 2012

AMERICAN IDOL WON’T BE THE SAME WITH OUT HER, ISN’T IT CLEAR JESSICA DOESN’T NEED IDOL ANYMORE? SHE’S JUST BEING HUMBLE. BUT OF COURSE, JUDGES WANT TO TORTURE HER BEING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MAJORITY WANT AND THE JUDGE’S FAVORITES.

don’t get me wrong am a jess fan..but i think judges will have credibility problems after this..record dealers will be all over her if she leaves AI, duh!

russ Weakling

Posted at 3:03 AM on April 13, 2012

NO! my prediction was right! damnit! i was right she will be voted off and be forgotten forever just like pia trap toscano

Robin

Posted at 2:23 AM on April 13, 2012

Honestly Jessica is not the whole package. She has NO stage presence, she mostly just stands and sings. Elise can never take a criticism without a dirty look to who is saying it. Every year they try to pull a “shocker” show at about this tIme. Tonight’s show was clearly staged. This is why Idol has such LOW ratings now. Time to stop watching Idol and watch the voice instead.

Who do I like? I love Skylar :)

Lovespooh2

Posted at 1:44 AM on April 13, 2012

For me, it’s not about Jessica really. I have no problem that the judges used their save for her. I did not care for the way that they did it. Rushing the stage, not letting her finish her song and then giving us a lecture on voting! What disturbs me even more, is the other contestants standing there listening to the judges tell them that Jessica is the best singer in America. What does that mean they are? So why should we vote, or watch? The judges actions have told me who the winner is already. Congratulations Jessica! You have made San Diego proud! Your response to the judges was much more mature than they were.

melanie

Posted at 1:41 AM on April 13, 2012

Its kinda funny how she is always leading in all the polls in different online polls specifically digital spy and has not been in the botoom three and suddenly will be eliminated. I can smell something fishy here.

Roanne

Posted at 5:11 AM on April 13, 2012

I agree. Terribly shocked! :(

Tany

Posted at 8:41 AM on April 13, 2012

Because it was ALL a set up!

Michelle

Posted at 1:26 AM on April 13, 2012

Jessica was only saved this week. What is she going to do next week? IMO.. Elise should have been gone weeks ago. Shes ugly to look at, and sounds like a man. Jessica better start picking songs that people like and no, Or she will be gone next week… No one can save her now, Except for herself.

BELENSKEE

Posted at 1:03 AM on April 13, 2012

OMG I CANT BELIEVED IT’S JESSICA WHO WILL BE ELIMINATED? HOW ABOUT HOLLIE I THINK SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED 2 WEEKS AGO….BETWEEN JESSICA AND HOLLIE I WILL VOTE FOR JESSICA NO MATTER WHAT…..

Ritchy

Posted at 12:21 AM on April 13, 2012

Tonight’s result clearly indicates that racial descrimination still exist in this country! Just focus on the bottom three!

Mike

Posted at 12:20 AM on April 13, 2012

my top 3

1. Jessica
2. Joshua
3. Elise

the rest i don’t really care.

pennylane01

Posted at 12:09 AM on April 13, 2012

my gosh you dont know music at all both your top 1 and 2 are good but they dont have the same caliber as jess an josh when it comes to singing.pls use your ears. you americans are such racists!

Real Americans

Posted at 12:08 AM on April 13, 2012

How can you place Colton and Philip above Jessica and Joshua? Your photo says it all. Another dumb chick who votes for looks and not voice. Get a Life!

pennylane01

Posted at 12:06 AM on April 13, 2012

my gosh you dont know music at all both your top 1 and 2 are good but they dont have the same caliber as jess an josh. hen it comes to singin.pls use your ears. you american are such racists!

TN

Posted at 11:50 PM on April 12, 2012

1-3 : Jessica, Colton, Phillip
4: Josh
5: Skylar
6: Elise
7: Hollie

America got it all wrong. Hollie and then Elise/Skylar should be leaving next week!

rilyenonghiponsilog

Posted at 11:10 PM on April 12, 2012

Hahahah… weak.. clear your ears.. wahaha..

Lynne

Posted at 11:02 PM on April 12, 2012

Jessica does not connect, which is WHY she was eliminated . . . It is unfortunate that the judges who are being paid $20 million for their pathetic comments are blind: Jessica Sanchez does *not* have what it takes, just like Pia Toscani did not have what it takes . . . The judges should not insult the other singers by indicating that one of them should have been eliminated instead of Jessica. . . . The audience got it right!

bong

Posted at 11:31 PM on April 12, 2012

Seems like you don’t what you’re saying.

Emily

Posted at 11:42 PM on April 12, 2012

She’s the best singer out of all of them! Do you not know what singing is or how to even sing? Because her singing is the real deal.

nokies

Posted at 1:12 AM on April 13, 2012

Lynne, com on! just accept the fact that Jessica is the best among the contestants.

x-idol fan

Posted at 2:15 PM on April 13, 2012

Judges are sickening! Jessica is not the best, she is good but others are just as good. It was a pitiful nite, so sad that the judges did what they did to the other contestants. They may have really hurt Jessica more than they think, she will be voted off next week by all of the unhappy AI fans.

Cocky

Posted at 1:50 AM on April 13, 2012

KKK

gbtw

Posted at 2:52 PM on April 13, 2012

the very idea of comparing pia to jessica is ABSURD. hollie is pia. jessica connects with her song every time, moves on stage (when appropriate), has rhythm, etc. pia stood at a mic and swung one arm to the side over and over and over… r u KIDDING me?! please… you are insane. have you even watched the show? the attitude and connection in pia’s very first performance was miles above any of the other performers, and she has consistently brought that. her song choices may not be great b/c they aren’t ones that viewers can karaoke along to- but her connection to the songs is clear. my lord. where do you come from?!

gbtw

Posted at 2:53 PM on April 13, 2012

oops… meant in JESSICA’S very first performance… not pia’s… pia equals yawn. even hollie is more appealing than pia!

porkadobo

Posted at 10:12 PM on April 12, 2012

My top three are… and they are in order…Jessica, Colton, and Philip. I wonder if this is some kind of a hoax to get a rise out of the audience. Jessica got a couple of standing ovations from the three judges and she is an excellent singer. What a ridiculously outrageous cool vocal chords she has!

Emily

Posted at 11:42 PM on April 12, 2012

nina

Posted at 10:07 PM on April 12, 2012

Not surprised…..yeah Jessica can sing, but maybe she should start acting her age. She dresses like a street walker, pout her in jeans and sneakers instead of spandex and5″ heels. What i’s she 16?

Emily

Posted at 11:40 PM on April 12, 2012

Um no der she is! Get your facts right because she is like 16!

Cookie

Posted at 1:41 AM on April 13, 2012

But even worst dresser is Hollie, she dresses like circa 1998. TACKY! and that country girl looks like she’s 40.

Cookie

Posted at 1:48 AM on April 13, 2012

I think all the girls dress tacky and not age or occasion appropriate. Hollie always dresses white trash who wears corn rows and stilletos.

Carol

Posted at 10:05 PM on April 12, 2012

phillip phillips should give Dave Matthews his act back and go home.

pam

Posted at 10:09 PM on April 12, 2012

i agree, he got old very fast for me, same old same old week after week, go home Phil

Chris

Posted at 11:58 PM on April 12, 2012

AMEN!!!

gbtw

Posted at 2:55 PM on April 13, 2012

yah… sorry to say i agree. he’s a little bit casey james to me… but even casey switched it up a bit more than this guy (still love and listen to casey’s ‘jealous guy’). i think philip has maxed out on his originality. he needs a breather or something… or, as jimmy said, maybe it’s just hard for the singer/songwriter types to be stuck performing other people’s music.

greg

Posted at 10:01 PM on April 12, 2012

Americans do it again. I’m sure its not about her ethnic background.They should all be ashamed. If she sings with a little religion i’m sure she’ll be safe next week.

kulitanlang

Posted at 9:53 PM on April 12, 2012

Are you kidding me? Seriously? elise is in your top three?

manoy

Posted at 12:55 AM on April 13, 2012

My best singers are ELISE, JOSHUA AND OF COURSE JESSICA…. HELLO AMERICA…… WAKE UP….

Ash

Posted at 12:50 AM on April 13, 2012

My original post was in agreement with ritchy

bhee

Posted at 5:14 AM on April 13, 2012

i think that jessica should not be voted out this early… i really believe that she has what it takes to be atleast get to the top 3…

babems

Posted at 10:08 PM on April 13, 2012

i totally agree with ash and ritchy. this result shows discrimination….. joshua,elise,jessica!!!!! please its too obvious. HOORAY for the voice and x-factor!!