'American Idol' Recap: Most Shocking Results Show Yet

Thu, April 12, 2012 9:40pm EDT by 87 Comments
Jessica Sanchez American Idol

Can you believe what happened on tonight’s ‘American Idol’ results shows? I’m still scratching my head!

I don’t think anyone was expecting what happened on American Idol April 11. Even though the song choices weren’t fantastic the night before, I still had the bottom three pegged completely wrong.

Elise Testone, Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez were all at risk of leaving. Elise and Josh were sent back to safety, leaving Jessica(!?) to sing for her life. However, before she even got through the song, all three judges rushed up to the stage and announced they were using their one and only save.

The whole thing should have been really emotional, but it came across to me as staged and dumb. After successfully keeping Jessica for another week, Randy Jackson gave a lecture to America about Jessica being one of the best singers in the country. Blah, blah, blah.

I definitely wasn’t expecting Jessica to be the one who got the boot tonight, although I had a feeling the judges were going to use the save no matter what. At this point, nearly everyone is flawless…which makes decisions like who’s going to win very hard.

Currently, my top three are Colton Dixon, Phillip Phillips and Elise. What did YOU think about tonight’s non-elimination?

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

juicy

Posted at 8:30 PM on May 19, 2012

They should not have used the save!!!!!!! Sure Jessica has a good voice but she is sooooooooooo boring! Its the same thing week after week….. I’m soooo mad and was completely shocked that the judges saved her!

Nancy

Posted at 7:03 PM on April 18, 2012

When Jessica says she has worked hard all of her life, it simply means that she’s a young girl who already knows what she wants in life and has worked hard to achieve it. She is a wonderful singer. The judges like her because they are professionals who know how to judge the abilities and the potential of a singer. Alas, I have a feeling that Jessica may not BE this year’s American Idol. This is because the people who watch AI and vote are NOT people who seriously discern talent – they have “other criteria” which thankfully are not predictive of sure success. Jessica will be successful even if she doesn’t win. Remember how past winners are barely ever heard of again? So, Jessica fans – don’t fret. True talent when given the chance and the right opportunity will succeed. Being here at this time and this place with so much publicity …. This IS Jessica’s break!!!!

Nancy

Posted at 7:02 PM on April 18, 2012

When Jessica says she has worked hard all of her life, it simply means that she’s a young girl who already knows what she wants in life and has worked hard to achieve it. She is a wonderful singer. The judges like her because they are professionals who know how to judge the abilities and the potential of a singer. Alas, I have a feeling that Jessica may not BE the American Idol. The people who watch AI and vote are NOT people who seriously discern talent – they have “other criteria” which are not really predictive of sure success. Jessica will be successful even if she doesn’t win. Remember how past winners are barely ever heard of again? So, Jessica fans – don’t fret. True talent when given the chance will succeed. Being here at this time with so much publicity …. This IS Jessica’s chance.

amy

Posted at 10:31 AM on April 16, 2012

I watched american idol since beginning like alot. The judges are being paid to do the show the way its atended they use the save if they want to or not. To go up there is totally going against american idol the way it works for americans things always happens we do not like but thats the way america is. I think she shouldnt of been there either but i would of rather seen her packing then seen what i saw for me it ruined the show totally.

Christine J

Posted at 4:38 PM on April 15, 2012

Do people actually open up there ears and listen to Jessica. Her voice makes my ear’s hurt. She is not even in the same level as Whitney so please don’t make that comparison. Really Go over her past performances and listen again. Now Colton I can listen to over and over. The man has it all. And the fact that he actually relates to the audience and the people at home. He puts his heart and soul into each performance which makes him amazing.

Michael Delera

Posted at 3:57 AM on April 16, 2012

Heard and read a lot of comments, but I believe in waiting. Jessica is an artist and she sings like a pro. Some comments are bias. I believe that all are supporting their favorite idol.

What I love do now is WAIT…..

JCsE46

Posted at 8:14 PM on April 17, 2012

Really?? Colton are you serious!!?? You must be one of those teeny boppers girl who goes for their looks and not on those who can really sing

Thomas

Posted at 3:38 PM on April 15, 2012

Whitney is dead, Jessica is born.

USArmyveteran

Posted at 3:33 AM on April 15, 2012

Jessica Sanchez is a great singer, and I give the judges credit for save her. Love this special young lady who work hard since young age. Just VOTE for this great singer

Heart

Posted at 2:34 AM on April 14, 2012

Its not jessicas fault why the judges saved her . &. IT ISNT FAVORITISM ! People are so stupid to eben think like that . They know what talent is ! Im italian & I even think Jessica is a great singer ! Just cause your italian doesn’t mean im going to vote for you , but if you know how to sing then ofcourse ! Its not Jessicas fault ! Shes just following her dream to be a singer because GOD has given her some quite an amusing talent as this . America doesn’t know it . Haters are always going to hate no matter what . Jessica for me is the most humble one there .

gbtw

Posted at 2:18 PM on April 16, 2012

i agree that jessica is the most humble (and hands down the best singer). you have colton saying that god is coming out of his mouth, and acting like somehow he is the messiah because a kid in a wheelchair wrote him a letter… and then you have little jessica who really was not as shocked as anyone else that she was cut. sad, but not shocked. she was just ready to give her performance and try to stay. she has worked hard for this HER WHOLE LIFE with formal training and such- not just singing into a hair brush… her mom was dragging her around to contests from the get-go. she is a professional, and humble. what i know about her though, is that even if she loses, she will not give up and i will be able to buy her albums shortly b/c the industry WANTS HER. agents are salivating at the bit to get their hands on her.

Realest

Posted at 2:27 AM on April 14, 2012

This clearly shows how stupid AMERICA is ! They judge people based on their race & looks ! No wonder why theres more white people in the competition than foreign ones .. Haha okay .. Yall just cant accept the fact that Jessica is the best ! Yall are hating on her cos why ? Shes not white ? Stop being indenial . The only reason why yall hate her cos of the guy contestants . Theyre not cute . Vote for who you think is the best not just on the looks ! This is why nothing good is happening in America !

Tiffany

Posted at 11:25 PM on April 13, 2012

Even if Jessica doesn’t win American Idol she will be releasing a single pretty soon and WILL get a big break

prophillip

Posted at 9:33 PM on April 13, 2012

Jessica shld have gone home!! Hate her!!!!
GO PHILLIP!!!

Christine J

Posted at 4:40 PM on April 15, 2012

Totally Agree. She should have went home. What a joke.

Edwards

Posted at 5:56 AM on April 16, 2012

Girl, I’m sure that you have already read much regarding this issue even tabloid writer and most of those who post comments are on positive side of Jessica and of the judges. I know and I understand, ur not into music….. Or maybe u were now thought how to appreciate good things….

jennifer

Posted at 7:42 PM on April 13, 2012

it totally was staged. someone can be the best singer, but it’s also a popularity contest. people obviously don’t connect to jessica. but hollie should have gone home first.

Johnmobey

Posted at 6:30 PM on April 13, 2012

America got it wrong? Don’t think so dog my fav is Skylar I also like Jessica but I hate seeing Hollie get bullied every week . It is obviousness
Who the judges fav are when the hippie yells out we will use our vote to save our pets especially when I believe Hollie had. The best performance of the nite if not the whole season and the best the judges can say is you look nice. I like Jessica but I think she had a off nite but she still got glowing
Reviews from the judges. It is just not fair . Well no more saves next week Americas taking off the gloves maybe Jessica and Joshua could share a cab home!

Christine J

Posted at 4:43 PM on April 15, 2012

I have seen quite a few performances where Jessica was not all that good. Not on cue, pitchy. stiff, doesn’t connect with audience etc. Holly is a great singer. Yes she has a few bad performances too but over all she has it more together and can connect to the audience where Jessica can not. I also love Colton he puts everything in his songs and every performance is spot on. He should be the next American Idol.

gbtw

Posted at 2:20 PM on April 16, 2012

reading you two’s comments, i feel like i’m in the twilight zone… wow…

Jackie

Posted at 5:02 PM on April 13, 2012

Jessica might not win American Idol. But she will be given a big break. Bigger than what the winner will be getting. And whoever wins will have to endure this.

gbtw

Posted at 3:44 PM on April 13, 2012

kirstin, my favorite line of your article is “staged and dumb.” isn’t dumb an underused adjective? but, i disagree with your top 3… for some reason i can’t get on board with elise b/c she just doesn’t fit for me. to exagerate my point, it’d be like putting bonnie raitt up there- you know? she seems already too mature and in her groove, not someone who is taking a journey like the teenage girls are… philip, i am bored with, and he even seems bored himself. he doesn’t seem to have an edge or any interest in wowing us. he’s too complacent about it all… i’m all for accepting yourself and knowing who you are, but if he’s got no room to grow, it’s too boring. very same ole, same ole… i really do not like colton. at all. but, it’s looking like i’m in the minority… and, joshua… hey you, are you out there??? america needs to see some tears or a little more sex appeal from you, or you’re going home honey. please bring it, cuz i don’t want to see you go…

david

Posted at 2:24 PM on April 13, 2012

America spoke, the judges didnt like it, America will speak again and they wont be able to save her, it was wrong for the judges to say that she is better than all the rest, and for jessicas comments of … i have worked hard all my lfe… who is she kidding, where did she work, mow lawns, in a laundry, in a factory?the judges want to force their likes of singing on America and America is fed up with things like this

USArmyveteran

Posted at 3:27 AM on April 15, 2012

stop been a hater, you know what she mean, Is this the reason why I put my life on the line or protect this country for other American to be treated like on body, She a great singer, Remember this country is may up of all kinds of great people. Don’t judge people of their color of their skin or they from. She is a American too. STOP THE HATER. I which you could go to war, so you can learn and stop your hate

kay

Posted at 4:48 PM on April 15, 2012

What does Serving in the Military have anything to do with this. First of all I’m Military too so what. David has good points and no where did he say he hated her. But just because he doesn’t like her so what. That’s is what America is all about people have the right to like who they want. I personally don’t care for her either. I think there is allot better people on the show that has the whole Package the It factor. And she doesn’t have it at all.

Carla

Posted at 4:44 PM on April 15, 2012

I agree. She is not that great. This week was her worst by far. Everyone else is staying consistent or getting better.
I think Colton is the best by far and he will win American Idol.

debbie allen

Posted at 1:43 PM on April 13, 2012

last night show lets you know that the judges don’t really care what the American voters think. That was so wrong to the other contestants

ldyer

Posted at 12:54 PM on April 13, 2012

the judgingby american wasn’t to randys liking, i’ve watched he and jlow wispering about some of the singers at times leaving steve tyler out also a few weeks back ryan seacrest was talking and he turned and asked the judges if something was wrong he could hear them fighting! surprise surprise. j low comented jessica was the youngest (jessica has continus to state she has always worked hard all her life she is only 16)contestant ever, i guess she forgot about lauren in the top 3 when scotty mcquerry won. these young people have to have tough skins to smile through the commints made about their singing skills, last night j lo stated to hollie no standing ovation tonight for you. i feel the judges sway the contestants in the manner in which they want them and sometimes the voting is so strong toward a singer that the judges would fear any manavering about high favored ones by the american voters. there needs to be a better way to be asured every vote is counted and not given to the judges untill that night. american votes fair its the judges that may not be truthful. j lo makes money off american idol the coke commerical, she is part of the production she would do this if there wasn’t something in it for. randy dont tell us how to vote, you stand there and state jessica is the best singer in the world, good grief take her under your wing and get her a contract. the others standing there has worked just as hard and deserve winning. what a sorry bunch.

Carla

Posted at 4:52 PM on April 15, 2012

I totally Agree!! What a Joke American Idol and the Judges. Jessica should have went home. She is boring, stiff and she just makes me want to hurl. I don’t know why but ick. Sorry Just how I feel. I think the other contestants are more likable to the public. And Colton has it all.

not a racist like americans who doesn't know when to use you're and your :)

Posted at 3:39 PM on April 19, 2012

i hate to say this but americans are so racist. try to learn first when to use you’re and your correctly before judging someone ‘s ability to sing.

nanlu

Posted at 12:35 PM on April 13, 2012

maybe staged, but i think everyone thinks there is no reason to vote for her cuz she is awesome and will be there at the end…..one of the best years for talent……hard to see anyone go……holly should be the one out of the group..nees more experience…but a sweet girl and will have a career…should be a great tour the summer…..

jammus

Posted at 12:21 PM on April 13, 2012

I agree with Kirstin. The whole deal with Jessica felt totally staged.

nancy

Posted at 10:15 AM on April 13, 2012

Jessica should have been saved and who cares if the judges felt so strongly about her, that is their choice. People need to vote for their favorite but also keep in mind of who is truly the best all round performer. That is Jessica whether you like it or not, I have other favorites as well with equal talent but she is right up there. Come on people step up and vote honestly for the next true star.

shirley rogers

Posted at 9:58 AM on April 13, 2012

I WAS TOTALLY SHOCKED JESSICA IS THE BEST IVE HEARD IN A LONG LONG TIME SHES GOIN TO WIN THIS THING

Naomi

Posted at 9:01 AM on April 13, 2012

I’m 50/50 on this. I had a feeling she was going to be in the bottom three at some point. It happens every season and it becomes predictable. I admit that I am one of those people that doesn’t vote because I believe their voting system is rigged. I believed that since season 8 when Kris Allen won instead of Adam Lambert. Another thing that irked me was when Randy, Jennifer and Steven just ran up on stage and didn’t let Jessica finish singing. Like, how is that fair to others who have sang for their life to be saved and didn’t get that chance? Plus, when Randy said that she was the best singer; that must have been awkward to the rest of them. Hey, what about us? Only looks matter with these shows. This show has become a joke every year. I don’t even know if I should just stop watching it.

gbtw

Posted at 2:44 PM on April 13, 2012

i want to believe in the voting accuracy, so i will just have to believe that ai voters are idiots… i doubt anyone cared that randy said she was the best, b/c she is. i don’t think any of them doubt that. ai hasn’t ever been about the best voice though- it’s about a lot more than that. in any case, jessica will have a long successful career- and frankly, this competition is kind of beneath her, but it has given her some publicity and a platform i suppose. it’d be like putting charice on ai- just stupid.

E

Posted at 8:05 AM on April 15, 2012

You’re right, ‘this competition is beneath her’. She’s too good to be in this show..she needs to move on.
She already has the goods to make it big in the music industry. Nothing more to prove. Give the contest to those who need more improvement ‘talentwise’ and on having a likeable personality , that she can learn from the experts on her journey to stardom.

Christine

Posted at 4:53 PM on April 15, 2012

She isn’t the best. Far from it. There is no way she is gonna win.

gbtw

Posted at 2:31 PM on April 16, 2012

like randy, jimmy, and most of the mentors, i believe she has the “best voice”- meaning, the largest range and the most control. that doesn’t mean she will win (i don’t think she can win over the tweens), but i will jump on the experts’ bandwagon and agree that she hands down has the best voice.

kay

Posted at 4:55 PM on April 15, 2012

Wow I like how if no one agree’s with the Judges then they are called Idiots. So Mature. Everyone in the world has different tastes in Music and in Singers. That’s what makes things interesting and not boring. I don’t like her never have. To me there are more Unique and better singers by far.

gbtw

Posted at 2:28 PM on April 16, 2012

oh, you’re probably right. i guess the mentors and judges are wrong when they say she’s the best… by the way, there is a difference between someone’s style and their technical ability. when ALL OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE SAID she is the “best singer” they mean she has the most control of her voice and the most range- that doesn’t mean she has the “best style” b/c style is subjective. in any case, i don’t think the JUDGES are idiots- i think the tween voters are.