Rick Santorum Left Presidential Race For Daughter Battling Trisomy 18

Wed, April 11, 2012 5:18pm EDT by 8 Comments
Trisomy 18 Rick Santorum

The former US Senator chose to help his 3-year-old daughter with her fatal genetic disorder over a seat in the Oval Office — what a commendable choice!

Rick Santorum withdrew from the Republican presidential race on April 10 to focus on his daughter three-year-old Isabella Santorum, who was born with Trisomy 18, a fatal chromosome abnormality. She has beaten the survival odds for kids with the disorder, The Washington Post reports. She was recently reported to have pneumonia for the second time this year.  Trisomy 18 survivors are prone to common and reoccurring infections.

Approximately 60 percent of newborns with Trisomy 18, also known as Edwards Syndrome, die just days after birth. The disorder occurs when kids have three copies of chromosome 18, instead of two. Unfortunately, only 5 to 10 percent of said children survive a year, and of those survivors, only 1 percent live to be 10 years old. Trisomy 18 is one of the three most common chromosomal abnormalities — luckily, it is very rare.

Some characteristics found in babies with Trisomy 18 are heart defects, kidney problems, clenched hands, delayed growth, small head and low- set ears, trisomy18.org reports. It is estimated that 1 out of every 3,ooo babies are born with the disorder. The cause of the condition is still unknown, however it can be found before birth with a microscopic examination of amniotic fluid and an ultrasound. Of babies that are diagnosed, three-quarters are miscarried or stillborn in the first 12 weeks of gestation and birth.

Unfortunately, there is nothing parents can do to prevent the illness from occurring.

Rick Santorum’s devotion to his family is so heart-warming — we wish his daughter the best!

HollyMoms, are you familiar with Trisomy 18?

More HollyBaby Health News:

1. Pennsylvania Boy Born With Heart Outside Of His Body — And Survives
  2. Home Birth Advocate Dies After Giving Birth At Home
  3. Children Who Are Cuddled Are Less Likely To Do Drugs — New Study

website hosting

Posted at 4:52 AM on May 16, 2012

Wonderful post, very informative. I ponder why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t understand this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & help different customers like its aided me. Great job.

hard water

Posted at 5:47 AM on April 22, 2012

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just excellent and i can suppose you’re an expert in this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to keep updated with approaching post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the rewarding work.

ศิษย์วัฒนา

Posted at 4:08 PM on April 16, 2012

You really make it appear so easy with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be actually one thing that I feel I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very extensive for me. I’m taking a look forward on your subsequent put up, I’ll try to get the grasp of it!

info

Posted at 6:35 PM on April 12, 2012

of course like your web site however you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the reality however I’ll certainly come again again.

sarah

Posted at 11:47 AM on April 12, 2012

thats funny. when she was extremely sick a few months ago he kept campaigning. interesting timing.

Victoria Miller

Posted at 10:09 AM on April 12, 2012

We are grateful that the National media is learning about Trisomy 18 to raise awareness of this condition that impacts so many families in their child-bearing years. Trisomy 18 is also a major cause of miscarriage, stillbirth although those families are largely missing from the national statistics. To learn more about families and their children with Trisomy 18, and how you might help, please visit us at the Trisomy 18 Foundation at TRISOMY18.ORG and at our blog TAKINGONTRISOMY18.ORG and on Facebook at FACEBOOK.COM/TRISOMY18 and share your sentiments.

jworthy

Posted at 7:14 AM on April 12, 2012

Sorry for his daughter, but what kind of parent would even CONSIDER putting their family through something as grueoling as a presidential campaign knowing their child will only live a few years at most? If every day was a miracle for my child, I would be spending it focusing on them, not focusing on myself. Maybe its just me, but it seems like he has no sense of what is really important in life. Thank goodness he dropped out!!

Shawn

Posted at 10:44 PM on April 11, 2012

This is extremely sad. I feel so bad for the Santorum family. I thank God this is a family of faith and that will help them through the battles they’re facing. God bless little Isabella and this entire family. I think Mr Santorum did the right thing in choosing to support his family at this time.