Katherine Heigl Says Her Adopted Daughter Naleigh Rejected Her

Tue, April 10, 2012 12:07pm EST by 6 Comments

Can you imagine adopting a baby and bringing her home, only to find out she doesn’t accept you as her mother? Find out what Katherine experienced!

Katherine Heigl is opening up about adopting daughter Naleigh, 4, with husband Josh Kelley in 2009 from South Korea, and admits the bonding process took time. Her daughter was 10 months old at the time of the adoption, and Katherine says the baby didn’t immediately respond to her motherly affection.

“I fought very hard to be accepted as a mom by my daughter,” Katherine, 33, tells German newspaper Bild am Sonntag. “Her rejection almost broke my heart.”

She started thinking she wasn’t going to be fit to be a mother, and to make matters worse, Naleigh quickly became attached to her husband. Katherine admits it made her “a little bit envious.”

The situation bothered her, so she began to concentrate on work, but realized that wasn’t going to benefit her daughter. She came to the decision to leave Grey’s Anatomy to focus on her relationship with Naleigh.

“The minute I realized [that], I immediately stopped working so much,” says Katherine.

The mother and daughter are now closer than ever, but Katherine says she’d do it all again. In fact, she wants other parents to follow in her footsteps, she told Parent & Child magazine in January.

“It takes time for a child to trust this new situation and to trust you,” she explained. “My advice is don’t be discouraged. The reward [of adopting] is so great.”

HollyMoms, have you experienced rejection from your children?

– Giovanna Pagliarulo

More Katherine Heigl News:

1. Thank Goodness ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Creator Shonda Rhimes Doesn’t Want Katherine Heigl Back
  2. Celebs Like Katy Perry & Katherine Heigl Wearing this New York Fashion Week Polish Trend
  3. Katy Perry & Katherine Heigl Try New Nail Trend — Do You Like The Look?

Helaina

Posted at 3:32 AM on March 29, 2014

When I first brought my adopted daughter home, she looked around with a face that said no no. Every time I told her to go to sleep or go have a shower, she’d give me a face and scream for hours and hours. Not every mother has been rejected by her baby but most have. Katherine was barge enough to admit it. Not every mo, wants to say that their baby rejected them. I give Katherine props for being brave enough to accept it. – Helaina

houston computer repair|houston pc repair|port-a-tech houston

Posted at 9:56 PM on May 29, 2012

Undeniably consider that which you stated. Your favourite reason seemed to be at the internet the easiest thing to remember of. I say to you, I certainly get irked whilst other people consider concerns that they plainly don’t understand about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as well as outlined out the entire thing with no need side effect , other people could take a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

American Dreamer

Posted at 5:44 PM on April 25, 2012

Naleigh is writing a memoir in her spare time entitled “Mommie Dearest Part Deux”.

teeks

Posted at 2:54 PM on April 25, 2012

If your child is older than say, 2, they’ve rejected you. That poll is skewed. Bonding is different than rejection though. We bond, our kid rejects us & because we’ve bonded…they know as a parent we won’t hold it against them. We’re stable. We’re mom/dad. We’re there. Children who have not yet bonded (older adoptees for instance) need to time to realize you’re not going anywhere.

Kathy

Posted at 3:17 PM on April 10, 2012

She is brave to admit this. It is a very hard thing to admit …….devastating.

tiki

Posted at 12:19 PM on April 10, 2012

My son is autistic, so bonding was hard. he was also c-sectioned and I was knocked out, so i didn’t get to hold him until an hour after he was born. it was a struggle but i love my little boy to death.