'Giuliana & Bill' Recap: Giuliana Decides To Remove Her Breasts

Tue, April 10, 2012 11:15pm EDT by 9 Comments
Giuliana & Bill Recap

Giuliana and Bill are devastated when they learn that surgery to remove her cancer left malignant cells behind in one of her breasts. After carefully weighing the options, Giuliana decides she’ll have a mastectomy — and faces some hard facts about getting pregnant someday.

On the April 10 episode of Giuliana & Bill, the couple is blindsided by the news that the lumpectomy Giuliana underwent to remove her breast cancer was not entirely successful.

True to their optimistic nature, Giuliana Rancic and husband Bill Rancic hope for the best in the days leading up to an appointment to hear her surgery results. Since Giuliana’s cancer was caught in its early stages, they’re both hopeful radiation will be her next step — but she is frustrated and shocked to learn they must consider more drastic measures.

“I just don’t understand where the finish line is,” Giuliana tells Bill on their way home from the doctor. “A mastectomy is the last thing I wanted… It’s basically a girl’s worst nightmare.”

Bill responds by grabbing Giuliana’s hand and kissing it. “We’ll figure this out,” he reassures her. “We’re a team.”

Bill, the methodical problem-solver, suggests getting Giuliana’s next options down on paper, and so they talk through a list of pros and cons to decide whether she should have a mastectomy.

Giuliana is relieved to hear Bill say he “doesn’t care” about a potential breast removal surgery changing they way she looks — he just wants her to get healthy.

“Deep down I knew Bill would say, ‘Hey, I’m going to love you either way, even if your physical appearance is different,'” Giuliana admits. “But it was really nice to hear him say it.”

They agree that having a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction is best for Giuliana’s lifelong health, as well as her peace of mind.

“I don’t want to go back to the doctor one day and hear, shoot, it came back,” she says. “I would rather just treat it now, get it over with, and move on with my life. With me it’s like, go big or go home.”

Despite this shocking turn in Giuliana’s journey to becoming cancer-free, she and Bill are still anxious to move along with their baby plans. They fly to Denver to see their fertility specialist, who sadly also has bad news — he recommends they wait three to five years before trying to get pregnant.

“That’s going to take me out of the game completely,” Giuliana says, devastated. “I’ll never have a baby.”

Watch a clip from the episode and tell us what YOU think, HollywoodLifers – Will Giuliana and Bill someday have the family they’ve always wanted?

– Kaydi Poirier

More ‘Giuliana & Bill’

1. ‘Giuliana & Bill’ Recap: Giuliana Learns She Has Breast Cancer
  2. ‘Giuliana & Bill’ Preview: Giuliana Breaks Cancer Shocker
  3. Bill Rancic Tells Giuliana: ‘You’re More Beautiful Now Than Ever’

Tendai

Posted at 3:33 PM on April 15, 2012

Am from Zimbabwe, love you guys and only wish you the best. Have watched you going thru trials and tribulations. G. Love you and wish u nothing but the best

Peri

Posted at 3:06 PM on April 12, 2012

I am very glad you are talking to the world about whats happening to you and Bill. I like that your getting the word out. But I didn’t have the support you have like you do with Bill. I have a husband and children but my husband told me not to cry “Your just feeling sorry for yourself.” Just be safe and do want is good for your health. It just might be what GOD has planned for you both. Bill I would like to say THANK YOU for being there for Giuliana and hanging in there!

Chantal Jackie

Posted at 4:42 PM on April 11, 2012

I love this couple so much! I believe oneday God will give them all they need. Just keep on loving each other more and we pray!! G&B just remember all things are possible with God!I love You!!

leslie

Posted at 12:31 PM on April 11, 2012

I feel God has a great plan for Gui

Cindy

Posted at 9:45 AM on April 11, 2012

Don’t give up.Just put everything in God’s hands. With GOD everything is possible. Don’t worry God will soon give you children.

melody

Posted at 8:58 AM on April 11, 2012

So sad. But glad she’s pushing through!

Marybelle

Posted at 12:08 AM on April 11, 2012

I had a double mastectomy in 2007. I chose not to have implants–I am elderly and they don’t matter much to me. A little fiberfill works fine.

When I saw this story, I wanted to comment because my cancer was not detected by mammogram. When they said there wasn’t anything detected, I said “but I can feel something.” Mine felt more tubular. So they did an ultrasound and picked it up–Stage 2. So I just wanted to say that if you have a mammogram and you still feel something is wrong, please have an ultrasound. It isn’t talked about much but it does happen.

I had invasive lobular which often doesn’t show up. So know your family history and the type.

lolanyc

Posted at 10:11 AM on April 11, 2012

Thanks for sharing! Hope you’re doing well!!!

Marybelle

Posted at 5:04 PM on April 11, 2012

Thank you. I am doing good and I try to share my story. If it saves someone, it is well worth it.