Mother Accidentally Kills Second Baby While Sleeping Next To Him

Mon, April 9, 2012 8:53am EST by 29 Comments

If you were to lose an infant by sleeping with them in your bed, would you make that mistake again? A Texas mother faces up to 20 years in prison after a second son died of suffocation!

Vanessa Clark of Lufkin, Texas, has been found guilty of child endangerment, and was charged with the death of her two-month-old son Tristan Clark after prosecutors learned her first son, one-month-old Christian Clark, died in a similar way in 2009. She should have learned the first time around that sleeping with infants is dangerous!

The 33-year-old mother believed the first death was caused by Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, while the babies sleep with her and husband, Mark Clark. As many as 7,000 babies a year die from SIDS in the US, the single largest killer of newborns. Infants can easily be suffocated by their parents or by bedding and and pillows.

Vanessa has been warned by Child Protection Services about the dangers of sleeping with infants, but since she ignored those orders, the court reached the legal threshold of child endangerment in Texas law. “It may not be illegal to sleep with your child, but it is illegal to put your child in imminent danger,” said prosecutor Dale Summa.

Her sentencing will be announced within the next six weeks.

So tragic!

– Giovanna Pagliarulo

More HollyBaby news:

1. Florida Woman Who Ran Over Triplets Sentenced To 13 Years
  2. Susan Cox Powell’s Sister Blames The Police For Her Nephews’ Deaths
  3. Man Shoots Wife & Himself After Falsely Accused Of Abusing 3-Month-Old Daughter

Katie

Posted at 4:51 AM on November 15, 2014

Physical problems with co-sleeping aside for a second – I think it’s okay occasionally but if your baby sleeps with you all the time, that can’t be great for your marriage.

Lisa

Posted at 4:42 AM on November 26, 2012

I feel so sorry for this poor woman. Instead of trying to find out the real cause from these babies dying in SIDS they charge her for 20 years in prison. What if they had some kind of genetic defect or some kind of condition? It is natural to sleep with your babies and shouldn’t be a problem unless you are on strong medicins, alcohol or smoke. It is more unnatural for a new born to sleep in a cot and that is why it was originally called (Coth Death becuase it happens mostly with babies sleeping in cots). I tried to get my son to sleep in a cot when he was new born because that is what the English midwifes told me to do. Thankfully he is a very healthy and strong minded baby who knew this was unhealthy and he would be screaming until I hold him, nursed him and then he fell asleep. To blame these babies Cot deads on co-sleeping is not fair. But in America people get charged for breast feeding I heard so it is quite a hardcore and un loving Country when it comes to raising children. I hope there are organisations standing up for these poor woman and try to educate the judge better.

Alexis

Posted at 2:50 AM on November 4, 2012

She’s obviously killing them! DUUUUUUH

Catherine

Posted at 12:58 PM on May 31, 2012

Oh all you people saying how dangerous co-sleeping is and that babies are meant to sleep in cribs, ect. Do you relize that seperating mother and baby is something commonly done in western societies and that western societies have a higher rate of SIDS? That countries where babies sleep with mom SIDS is basically unheard of? Did you also know that newborns have a hard time regulating body tempuature and breathing? Also that it has been shown that infants that sleep next to mom follow her sleep and breathing patterns? No of course not, otherwise you wouldnt be parroting all this nonesense.

Katie

Posted at 4:04 AM on November 15, 2014

I agree with a lot of what you said except for the last part. Because babies have tiny lungs, they breathe like twice as fast – they’re supposed to.

Nikki

Posted at 11:01 PM on May 20, 2012

I have slept with my now 8 month old daughter since she was born. Never had any issues. It’s tragic when this happens. However usually it’s because there were no safety precautions taken. It’s part of attachment parenting. I also breastfeed and plan to continue until at least 18 months – 2 years. It’s so much easier too. When they wake up you’re right there. I think in this instance she was either high or drunk as other users have said. However…2 is HIGHLY questionable as to whether or not it’s accidental. One accident two? sounds more like it wasn’t so much of an “accident”. And yes if one died of it I certainly wouldn’t sleep with another infant. However just because some people aren’t careful doesn’t stop me from sleeping with my daughter. And we will sleep together until SHE wants to sleep in her own bed. I’ve heard mixed reviews from doctors but all agree on one thing. I constantly hear “You two are going to be sooo close. That’s awesome.” And I had two older siblings die of SIDS. They died in their OWN CRIBS not sleeping with someone. It just happens sometimes. To each their own. I know people will call me stupid but I don’t care. My baby sleeps better with me I feel I can better protect her with me so she’ll stay sleeping with me. RIP little ones. But yet again I doubt a second death was accidental. The second death should have raised some red flags with officials.

Christa

Posted at 6:36 PM on May 7, 2012

I have 4 boys and I co-slept with everyone of them, my doctor even recommended it!
It’s isn’t dangerous. And FYI SIDS is something that just happens to babies, it’s not caused by something in particular.
Ugh. I hate people who are ignorant and misinformed like this. Geesh!

Jessica

Posted at 11:01 PM on May 7, 2012

It is so dangerous to sleep with a infant. Infants are supposed to sleep in a crib not in a bed where they can get hurt.

Jackleen

Posted at 1:25 PM on May 8, 2012

Your an moron. IT IS AN ENDANGERMENT. They stated the bed, not a recliner. Any doctor who’d recommend that to someone who tries to sleep with a baby is an idiot. 6 months+ is when they say its safer.

What’s even more rediculous is this mother that had it happen before–and now a second life was taken because of her ignorance.

aw

Posted at 6:35 PM on May 12, 2012

clearly you need a new doctor. your stupid for thinking that its okay to sleep with an infant. ugh i hate stupid people like you.

Cosleeping mom

Posted at 1:54 PM on April 11, 2012

I slept with my daughter in the bed all of her life until she was 10 and NEVER once did I not realize she was in the bed and roll over on her, I agree with the previous comment that she was probably drunk or high….what a shame two babies died because of someones ignorance….

Mom to Mattea

Posted at 11:59 AM on April 10, 2012

Sleeping with infants is NOT dangerous. This woman is just an idiot and was probably drunk, or smothered her babies on purpose.

What sloppy reporting. Never coming here again.

laurielou2

Posted at 2:21 AM on April 17, 2012

Wow. It has been proven and documented for YEARS that sleeping with infants is indeed very, very dangerous. Just because people have done it without killing their babies doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

aw

Posted at 6:36 PM on May 12, 2012

totally agree with you!

Kelley

Posted at 5:41 PM on May 7, 2012

Yes, it is dangerous. All the pillows and blankets, not to mention rolling around in sleep leads to HIGH chance of suffocation. Sleeping on anything other than a firm mattress with no blankets on its back greatly increases the risk of SIDS.

Jackleen

Posted at 1:26 PM on May 8, 2012

It is dangerous and it just shows who the real idiot is by you making such a comment.

me

Posted at 7:56 PM on April 9, 2012

once i could say accident, twice…murder

MB

Posted at 10:55 PM on April 18, 2012

twice…murder? sure, it’s a possibility, BUT we also need to consider the possibility that there is some genetic predisposition (there are genetic risks factors for SIDS) which would statistically make HER children more likely to die of SIDS – and would perhaps be independent of whether the kid was sleeping right next to her or in his/her own crib. Put yourself in those shoes….

Kelley

Posted at 5:42 PM on May 7, 2012

But BOTH times they slept in the bed with her. That is very dangerous, and after the first one died, she should have learned her lesson. But instead, she chose to endanger her second child. Obviously, she did not care about the safety of her child. She deserves this.

Jess

Posted at 1:07 PM on May 26, 2012

I seriously doubt it. Once SIDS, twice? Murder.

dahlia

Posted at 6:09 PM on April 9, 2012

Infants all over the world have been sleeping with their parents since the cave man. It’s only in modern Western culture that co-sleeping is considered abnormal. We had a family bed for the first three years of both my children’s lives they are both independent, happy teenagers today.

Sleeping with parents is better for a child’s psychological development than sleeping alone, and perfectly safe if the proper precautions are taken. It’s dangerous if the one or both parents has a sleep disorder which causes them to sleep too heavily, or goes to sleep intoxicated.

Kelley

Posted at 5:43 PM on May 7, 2012

And in modern times, we have much lower infant mortality rates than in cave men times. Babies are much more at risk of SIDS when sleeping in a parent’s bed.

Jackleen

Posted at 1:27 PM on May 8, 2012

Not under 6 months, this is the stupidest thing I have read by far.

Jess

Posted at 1:06 PM on May 26, 2012

I co-slept while I nursed too. Far easier, but there is NO reason for your THREE year old to be sleeping with your husband and you for so many reasons! WTH?! Not normal at all.

shes srupid

Posted at 4:13 PM on April 9, 2012

I think that this was intensionally its just impossible that it happen twice. if she knew she was a heavy sleeper & kill her first baby then she would of thought that second time she could of kill the other too but it seem that this crazy person just didnt cared.

tam

Posted at 7:32 PM on April 9, 2012

i agree it must have been intentionally because both my kids slept with me and they are alive and healthy… how can that happen twice to someone? rare.

Zelda

Posted at 3:19 PM on April 9, 2012

I slept with both our daughters in our bed and they are perfectly healthy and normal. It was easier to nurse them throughout the night. There is nothing wrong with co-sleeping. I believe there is more to this story….

dahlia

Posted at 6:11 PM on April 9, 2012

I agree! Something is missing here.

Jess

Posted at 1:04 PM on May 26, 2012

There is absolutely NO nutritional value to nursing a 2 year old. I cannot comprehend why a woman would want to nurse a child that has teeth and is eating solids. I nursed my daughter for a year–the RECOMMENDED amount of time.