'American Idol' Recap: Was Skylar Laine That Good, Or Was Everyone Else That Bad

Thu, April 5, 2012 2:47am EST by 33 Comments

With the Top 8 given the opportunity to sing the songs of the eighties, many songs could have been chosen but most of the hopefuls picked horrible songs and didn’t perform much better. Which helped Skylar Laine have a breakout performance, or was it just the best of the bad?

When the hopefuls get to pick their songs each week I am convinced they have zero taste in music. There are so many legendary 80’s songs that could have been picked and a majority of the songs that were picked didn’t live up to the potential of what could have been. Where was Journey? Where was Madonna? I know we are a few days past but the April 4 performance show was border line April Fool’s Day in how the performances ended up sounding. Yikes!

Deandre Brackensick: Deandre chose ‘I Like It’ by DeBarge which his voice actually made the song listenable. But would it have killed him to do a song that people actually know? And if you do know the song, you’ll certainly admit that it shouldn’t have been his first selection. He should be safe for another week, but he really has to start picking up the pace to have any chance in the finals. Mark my words, he’ll be voted off the show within two weeks. Please do us all a favor Deandre, sing a song that we can sing along with you and have us enjoy the ride. Jennifer Lopez said that the way he moved his hair was very natural. Think about how stupid of a compliment that is, he needs to step it up!

Elise Testone: Elise sang ‘I Want to Know What Love Is’ by Foreigner which is a spectacular song. When I heard the song I almost thought it would have been a great song for Deandre to try out because Elise actually made a wonderful song terrible. She certainly will be in the bottom three and may possibly be voted off the show. She has had a rough road of ups and downs and this just might be the nail in the coffin. Should be interesting to see if the judges would use the save on her. It might be a sleepless night for her tonight.

Phillip Phillips: Phillip sang ‘That’s All’ by Genesis which is great song but I thought he should have chose a solo song by Phil Collins instead that would show something different from Phillip. I get the fact that he is his own person, but he does the same thing every week. Its really getting stale, plus the judges will not give him bad remarks as he is a fan favorite. The judges need to judge and tell Phillip to mix it up a little bit. We want to be kept guessing, not watching the same thing over and over. Would you really want to see a two hour show of the same song? Regardless he’ll be safe for now but he needs to give us something different, hopefully that will start next week.

Joshua Ledet: Joshua chose ‘If You Don’t Know Me By Now’ by Simply Red which was a song that is in his wheel house. The judges loved it but he complained that he didn’t really know any 80’s songs so it was hard this week for him to find the right song. This is his excuse every week. He is a bit cocky for his own good which you need as a singer but I think it will bite him in a few weeks when he is voted off.

Jessica Sanchez: Jessica chose ‘How Will I Know’ by Whitney Houston and she is trying to sell us her alter ego BBCHEZ who apparently is just like Beyonce. Last time I checked, Beyonce moves around on stage and not like a zombie like Jessica Sanchez showed tonight. If BBCHEZ is her alter ego and anyone says its just like Beyonce they need their head examined. I think she should retire BBCHEZ because that alter ego is a pitchy robot. I understand that she is currently a favorite and may even get to the finals but she will have the same fate as she had when she was on America’s Got Talent and that is not winning the show. Just wait and see.

Hollie Cavanagh: Hollie chose ‘Flashdance, What A Feeling’ and looked amazing in that dress they had for her but it was all over the place in her performance. She actually would have fared much better with Jessica’s song. The judges mentioned she thinks about her performance and doesn’t really let it all go. I couldn’t agree more. She will be in the bottom three and possibly may be in trouble going home. Its too bad No Doubt wasn’t big in the 80’s as it would suit Hollie much better. She needs to mix it up and maybe even do a song done by a guy. It could work wonders for her.

Colton Dixon: He sang ‘Time After Time’ by Cyndi Lauper and looked like Kate Gosselin doing it. Just look at that hairdo. He is a solid performer and the most consistent of the bunch which should help matters but he should really pick an epic song to showcase his complete talents next week. This performance would have been a home run if he stayed still and added more emotion to it. But he walked around and looked like a deer in headlights singing to everyone but us. He will be safe, he will do better. Tonight was a 7 out of 10.

Skylar Laine: Skylar went out of her comfort zone and it worked. Helped by a lackluster set of performances before her, she took the stage and sang the iconic ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’. It was nice to see her get out of the country thing for a week and give us something different. Which every Idol hopeful should do in their journey. It makes things that much better when they show range. She bought herself some more time in the competition and gave herself a opportunity to stretch herself as the show goes on. She may pull off being third place this year.

So HollywoodLifers, Who did the best? Who is in your bottom three? Sound off below!

Russ Weakland

Michelle

Posted at 3:39 PM on April 6, 2012

the song choices HAVE to improve! I am now fast forwarding the ones that the songs suck. Not worth my time.

Lindy

Posted at 3:42 AM on April 6, 2012

I wonder what your reaction will be when Jessica finally wins American Idol. you will surely eat up all you negative comments about her until you get indigestion.

pangit si russ

Posted at 3:31 AM on April 6, 2012

hoy panget! that’s what she wants, an alter ego, i bet this is your alter ego and the real version of you is DEAD.
Phillip, and elise should go home.

jennifer

Posted at 1:24 AM on April 6, 2012

Russ I agree with you, most of the songs were lame. Skylar did her best performance. Colton for me is a front runner. All the idols this year are kinda lack luster, there isn’t one for me that I’m excited for. Who do you think should be top 3?

gbtw

Posted at 3:55 PM on April 6, 2012

joshua, jessica, and… i think skylar or elise could take the third spot. i think the audience is going to be bored with philip, but, hey, lee dwyze somehow kept them interested, so maybe philip can do it. he’s a little too unwilling to make an effort to me though… doesn’t seem like he’s ever trying to wow- a little casey james-ish to me. just wants to do what he wants to do, not mould himself into an idol. hollie can’t make it. oh, see, now i forgot all about colton b/c i don’t like him… but, other people seem to rave. to me, he’s too freaky… his chicken legs and mullet and fake humility ruin it for me.

sam

Posted at 9:31 PM on April 5, 2012

Im so glad that deondre got voted off and coltin dixion is so HHHHHOOooTTT

gbtw

Posted at 1:26 PM on April 5, 2012

hmmm… i dunno. i think skylar chose a beautiful song, and i think she is one of the best PERFORMERS, but in the buildup notes of a song, I still feel very scared (b/c i like her) about her voice. it doesn’t sound great until she’s in the peak moments of the song… but, she is the best performer, and i always BELIEVE her and she ALWAYS connects to her songs. i find it hard to believe her voice could beat any of the other girls though- even though i know hollie will be booted soon, before skylar. i don’t know. i like skylar, and wouldn’t be unhappy if she won, and i think talent-wise, with some coaching she’ll get there. she already has it on the big stuff, just sounds flat or something on the other notes? is it just me that hears that? i’m not a musician, and do not have a good ear… but that’s what i hear.

samie

Posted at 9:40 PM on April 5, 2012

Im so glad that deondre got voted off and coltin dixion is so HHHHHOOooTTT who cares abuot jessica what yhe total pacage hes colton

mcooper

Posted at 1:01 PM on April 5, 2012

I don’t know why, but the layout for this website stinks! I can only read the left half of the page on my Iphone…:(
I will be pleased if anyone other than Joshua, Hollie,Skylar, or Phillip wins. IMO, Skylar tries way too hard, even though she has a great voice. Elise is good, but I don’t think I’d want to listen to her all the time. Deandre, well, he’s ok, but not the best (though I LOVE his hair!!lol) and I think he’d be eaten alive against Jessica except for the fact that females will vote for him because of his looks and
not his voice…Colton is good, but there’s room for improvement…Jessica Sanchez has an incredible voice, though I’m not a fan of her style either. But I’m betting the finale will be between Jessica and Colton or Jessica and Elise.

lolanyc

Posted at 12:06 PM on April 5, 2012

This whole site has stupid writers. I think a lot of us would do a better job at reviews. Give me a job there!Anyways I think Jessica is a great singer. great voice. Shes a tad too unemotional. Robotic. However she sounds as good as mariah or celine dion. She isnt my fav though. I like Colton, Phillip and elise. They seem more personable if that makes sense. Skylar is cute. She’ll do great in country. As far as who gets kicked off.. Deandre or hollie I hope. I dont like Josh either. Hes a great singer, but not modern enough. He looks 30! he needs to change up his look. Im tired of the suits.

Elise Testone

Posted at 11:44 AM on April 5, 2012

She hasn’t reached the right pitch.

Mufida

Posted at 11:17 AM on April 5, 2012

Could someone fire this writer? Not only he is tone deaf but writes a trashy and sophomoric review.

Pnoy

Posted at 10:54 AM on April 5, 2012

You’re TRASH! as i recall she’s been considered as a full time scholar in theater of arts in HOLLYWOOD! how dare you people hate something or a person that has taken this game seriously. judge and mentors told her not to leave the ballads but she still did and made that performance. i don’t give a crap if you don’t like her one bit.

I saw that interview at holy wood life and didn’t even focuson her, what a tramp..she didn’t get into this stage now if most people would think like you!

Bev

Posted at 10:42 AM on April 5, 2012

STOP HATING ON JESSICA !!!!! SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST IDOLS EVER TO GRACE THE STAGE !!!! I HOPE SHE PROVES YOU WRONG ! I LOVE HER AND SHE IS GOING TO WIN ! I HAVE FAITH AND BELIEVE IN HER !!!!

Michael

Posted at 9:10 AM on April 5, 2012

I agree with some of your comments – the poor song choices did most of the contestants no favours – Most of the vocal performances were pitchy, boring and uninspiring. I really think some of the judges comments are ridiculous, at times meaningless, and clearly trying to influence the voters. For me 80’s night sounded like 80’s karaoke night. Hollie, I predict will go.

MrsDay

Posted at 8:36 AM on April 5, 2012

Bottom three, Hollie, Elyse, Deandre. BEST: Josh and Skylar.

reigh

Posted at 7:38 AM on April 5, 2012

i just didn’t know from the first up to now you have been writing negative reviews of jessica, deandre, and joshua. is it because they are the front runners and america’s fave? Be fair man… i am not a jessica fan but i love her voice. she’s great!!!

Britt

Posted at 9:24 AM on April 5, 2012

deandre is not one of America’s favorite’s. He’s in the bottom three all the time.

gbtw

Posted at 1:17 PM on April 5, 2012

but other than deandre, reigh’s comment is spot on. i do think russ tends to show some bitter jealousy sometimes. his josh and jessica hatred seems to come from there. but, i found some of the writeup pretty funny… especially highlighting that if j.lo. is complimenting you on how well you flip your hair, your performance left a lot to be desired! haha… really, what a STUPID thing to comment on, tho i suppose she is right, image does count- and his hair (a la michael bolton) might get him places with some ladies, but probably not the AI voters.

Bick

Posted at 7:33 AM on April 5, 2012

Skylar was amazing. Made me cry.
Jessica, Elise and Skylar need to be in the top!!

sairo

Posted at 6:22 AM on April 5, 2012

another jessica sanchez hater. I didn’t read your comments on all the Top 8 because I’m only rooting for Jessica, if you are trying to be funny its not working you can’t even write a good critique. Just a proof there are so many crackheads writing trash online nowadays. I suggest get another job because this isn’t the one for you. You don’t know anything about music. Your last name sure made me laugh WEAKland LMAO!!! :p
HATERS GET SOME LIFE HAHAHAHA

Lulu

Posted at 6:01 AM on April 5, 2012

Your review reads like the transcript of two twelve year old girls talking about Idol before class – does anyone at HollywoodLife have any journalism experience or simply a childish zeal for useless gossip?

meanne

Posted at 5:33 AM on April 5, 2012

f…,,,,ck u

rbp

Posted at 4:54 AM on April 5, 2012

you need your eyes and hearing checked cuz your comment on Jessica is way out of the line.

anti-bitch russ

Posted at 3:48 AM on April 5, 2012

you could have pointed out some mistakes jessica had but all you care about is not her winning the American Idol, because you hate her so much.

the fact that she’s a scholar for the theater of arts in hollywood itself made her successful already. her fate in the American idol doesn’t change the fact that her stardom has only begun.

I think that show is actually holding her back from performing to the fullest.

Borgy

Posted at 3:41 AM on April 5, 2012

you’re way too harsh with your comments. simmer down.

sing like jessica or elise and then I would probably care about your disgusting review.

IVY0789

Posted at 3:40 AM on April 5, 2012

I dunno why is this stupid crap posted by this website.

phil_philips_fan1

Posted at 3:36 AM on April 5, 2012

Beyonce was way older than Jessica is. Beyonce had more experience but you can’t deny Jessica’s CREDITS. YOU seriously need your head re-examined.

Pin

Posted at 3:30 AM on April 5, 2012

you’re a Jessica Sanchez hater, that’s all says in your article.you have lost my respect entirely.