'Smash' Recap: Ivy's Addiction Spirals Out Of Control

Tue, April 3, 2012 12:23am EDT by 5 Comments

Plus, the truth about Julia & Michael finally comes out!

“Hell on Earth” couldn’t have been a more appropriate title for the April 2 episode of Smash because, despite Karen (Katharine McPhee) scoring a national orange juice commercial, everyone else’s lives were turned completely upside down. Julia’s (Debra Messing) marriage crumbled, Ivy’s (Megan Hilty) addiction escalated, and Tom (Christian Borle) was faced with the most terrifying evil of all — a gay republican!

I would like to begin by applauding Frank (Brian D’arcy James) for the way he handled the revelation of Julia and Michael’s (Will Chase) affair. Smash has been coaxing the audience to root for the adulterers all season, but once the truth came out, it was Frank who got all of our sympathy. And real talk: I loved watching him scream at Julia and punch Michael in the face. They both deserved exactly what was coming to them.

And then there was Ivy, who seems determined to follow in Marilyn Monroe‘s tragic footsteps until she’s discovered dead (and possibly naked) from an overdose. After returning to Heaven on Earth, the disgruntled showgirl went on stage completely high and fell flat on her face in front of the entire audience. And surprise, surprise — Karen was watching from the wings with a Taylor Swift-esque look of shock on her face!

Of course, the characters weren’t the only ones who suffered this week. The viewers at home were put through their own personal hell watching Ellis (Jaime Cepero) weasel his way to the top. Proving to be even more sexually ambiguous than I suspected, Ellis seduced a hot-shot Hollywood agent and convinced him to get his biggest client — a major movie star played by none other than Uma Thurman – to negotiate for the lead in Marilyn.

I’d also file Karen and Ivy’s Times Square performance of Rihanna‘s “Cheers (I’ll Drink To That)” under the category of hellish torture, but only because it was so awkward and unnecessary. If Karen and Ivy were going to bond — I prefer them as mortal enemies, myself — couldn’t they have just done it over a drink? Or a pillow fight? The whole thing felt very Glee, and I didn’t appreciate it one bit.

How do YOU feel about this week’s turn of events? Were you glad Julia and Michael finally got what was coming to them? Do you think Ivy and Karen will stay friends much longer? And, seriously, when will Ellis just stop being so awful? Drop me a comment with your thoughts on the episode!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Smash updates

Cesar

Posted at 5:49 PM on April 3, 2012

Uma Thurman as Marilyn? isn’t she a little old and leathery face to play Marilyn? I’m sorry, I just don’t see a bit of old school glamour in her.
I did like the little truce between Ivy and Karen, I know they will end up fighting again because Ivy did say “Don’t think we’re best friends…” or something right before Karen left her apartment, I hope so otherwise the show will get boring if they become BFFs.
So is Ellis bi or just an equal opportunity slut? my head was spinning after last weeks episode when he was in bed with a girl, it was as believable as a straight George Michael.

Cesar

Posted at 5:33 PM on April 3, 2012

Love this show, I thought it would be like another Glee, thank God is not.
I honestly don’t understand what is wrong with the gay guys in TV, yes, I know it’s TV, but still, how does ugly akward unatractive and bitchy (did I say ugly already?) Tom manages to land such a handsomely dreamy succesful boyfriend and still have something to complain about???? Please! is like the other fat idiot in “Happy endings” also scoring with the hotest guy around and bitching about him, I miss the days of Will & Grace and Queer as folk, at least the guys were hot enough to get away with murder, these other two should look in a mirror or the producers should pair them up with guys just as ugly as them, make it believable.

martin

Posted at 10:03 AM on April 3, 2012

i enjoyed last night’s episode! Everyone had some great scenes and the actors came thru amazingly! Just wish the writers would give Karen a sassy, confident, in your face scene! Fingers crossed!

also liked Cheers actually better than the orginal

arlene

Posted at 2:05 AM on April 3, 2012

Eileen is a smart broad, waiting for her to get rid of ellis. there is just nothing i like about the guy. even as a “bad guy” he’s a weasel, must go!!

Jdyvhb

Posted at 1:07 AM on April 3, 2012

That Rihanna performance was just terrible!!! I think I’ll stop watching now…lol