Leven Rambin Defends 'Hunger Games' Co-Star Jennifer Lawrence's Body

Fri, March 30, 2012 10:28am EDT by 19 Comments
Jennifer Lawrence Hunger Games Fat

While critics may think Jennifer’s killer figure made her ‘too fat’ to play Katniss, her co-star leaped to her defense, saying people ‘should acknowledge how well she did’ instead of trying to put her down!

There’s no denying the fact that Jennifer Lawrence did a phenomenal job playing Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games, which is why we were shocked and disappointed to hear that critics were taking a stab at her body type instead of praising her talent — and it turns out we aren’t alone! Her co-star from the film, Leven Rambin, told HollywoodLife.com exclusively that she thought the claims were completely outrageous!

We caught up with the star at Juicy Couture’s Fall 2012 preview in NYC on Mar. 29, where we asked if she agreed with their statements she said, “Not at all. She, her body and her image, is just an amazing representation for everyone. We have very similar body types, and I look up to her and her confidence, so I think she was absolutely perfect for the role,” Leven said. “If anyone can transform themselves, morph into a character and fill a role with 100% confidence it’s her, so I think that people should acknowledge how well she did [playing Katniss] and how brave she was in the role, regardless of what she looks like.”

We couldn’t agree with her more! Leven went on to tell us that the major, whirl-wind success of the film did take her a bit by surprise. “Yeah, I’m surprised that it’s part of history in Hollywood and history in cinema, and to be a part of that, even a small part, is such an honor and it’s so incredible, and I mean, it’s my first big film, and it’s really historic. I’m like kind of shell-shocked a little bit still,” she said. “I’m excited that it has taken off. When we were making it we weren’t quite sure, we were like, ‘Oh, man, this could totally flop! We don’t know.’ But the way that it was cut and edited together and the way that it was carried out and marketed, I’m just really happy that the fans are responding to it in the best way.”

Katrina Mitzeliotis

katniss

Posted at 5:27 PM on May 24, 2012

It says right in the book that Katniss is fit and more well fed than most people in District 12 since she takes care of herself and feeds her family. But completely typical of our society to want Jennifer Lawrence to look anorexic and starved. People complain all the time that kids have no healthy, real role models. That’s because when we have one like Lawrence people shoot her down.

sheldon

Posted at 9:54 PM on April 23, 2012

I do not know what the critics are talking about. She is the perfect size. I saw the movie and read all the books. Jennifer played katniss better than anyone else could have ever done. Do you want her to be like those models who are so thin look like the only have one cracker a day for a meal. If she was any skinnier she would be a skeleton.

Unknown

Posted at 10:50 PM on April 9, 2012

I like your hair color from the Hunger Games movie, but you don’t have to change it if you don’t want to

maisie

Posted at 12:49 AM on April 8, 2012

jennifer i FRAKING love you i really wanted to try to be rue but i didnt know were to do that and yes im black and im 5ft and yea but rue was WAY good too

maisie

Posted at 11:08 PM on April 7, 2012

ur freakign amazing i REAALL&Y hope u read this when i become an acter i only wish i could be half as good as u u stayed in charter i saw ur movie 5 times including the midnight too!!!! i have a pillow case of u too but i hung it on my wall cuz ur amazing and ur NOT fat thier just jelous that ur famous pretty and amzing and have money unlike the haters so who adre they to jugde what they say about u is what they really think of them selves just rember UR FAN FOR EVER

Katniss

Posted at 8:05 AM on April 6, 2012

MY DREAM would be to have her body!!! Haters Are you crazy people? You call this fat? She’s totally hot, unlike other hollywood bodies! She’s super beautiful! And apart from her beauty, she’s VERY VERY talented and no one could have done Katniss better than she did… NO ONE!! She IS Katniss! I cried during the whole movie, she incarnated the role so well that you could see the pain in her eyes, you could feel the character so well… Jennifer Lawrence really deserves all the good critics and the attention and love she’s getting from everyone! You go girl, you’re gonna have an amazing career!

Anonymous

Posted at 12:32 PM on April 4, 2012

How dumb. Jennifer isn’t fat. At all. Her figure was perfect for Katniss. I’m glad she isn’t as thin as people would like her to be. She’s not anorexic, leave her be. If by chance you read this Jennifer, ignore them, you look amazing.

Me

Posted at 11:04 PM on April 3, 2012

these critics need to stfu the girl that played katniss has an amazing body.she’s not fat and she’s not skinny like those models that are starving. lol I got soo mad when I saw that they called her fat. I would like to see what the critics look like I bet their fat as hell with tripple chins, they stay talkin shiz.

Olive

Posted at 1:30 PM on April 3, 2012

If JLawrence is fat, then being healthy is bad. I am just tired of all anorexix loving people. I know that Katniss is really skinny, but that is in the book, and in the Hunger Games film series the casting people wouldn’t and couldn’t cast a not healthy girl because the Hunger Games is influential(sp) in todays society. JLawrence portrayed Katniss perfectly.

Jackie

Posted at 11:42 PM on April 1, 2012

This is so stupid. No, Jennifer does not look like she’s starving, but who cares? Why would they seek out an anorexic looking actress who wouldn’t be able to play Katniss nearly as well as Jennifer just because she depicts the starvation of district 12 better? Jennifer Lawrence has a great figure I am jealous of her body shape! not fat at all.

Veronica

Posted at 5:44 AM on April 1, 2012

Critics are being bullies. You might as well be saying “SHE’S FAT” in bold. So many people go through that and they’re just making it worse. I think Jennifer is amazing and would be even if she was fat! I love her and she has amazing talent. I agree with Leven, they should look at her talent, not her her body!

Suua P.

Posted at 12:40 AM on April 1, 2012

Jennifer is not too fat to be Katniss. She really captured the role perfectly and I pray that she Gets awarded for her performance.

Lexi

Posted at 12:40 AM on March 31, 2012

I haven’t read the books nor will I go see the movies. But Jennifer is pretty much my favorite celebrity, what I’ve seen on my tumblr dashboard everyday she seems super chill and just normal.

dizzy

Posted at 10:03 PM on March 30, 2012

Those calling her fat need to step back and leave her alone. Here is finally a young actress who is extremely talented and has a curvy body we should all be celebrating (not criticizing). She may not physically resemble the tiny and dainty Katniss from the novels, but she embodied everything Katniss is emotionally and mentally. She became Katniss and gave a very good performance. I would rather have her, a dedicated and talented actress as Katniss then someone who “looks” like book-Katniss but can’t act.

Avalon

Posted at 7:17 PM on March 30, 2012

Seriously! To fat? Come on any skinny she would be a skeleton! The reviews shouldn’t stab at Jennifer’s body more on how GOOd she was at acting! Come on seriously! First Racist Hunger games fans now this??

NomaRae

Posted at 2:13 PM on March 30, 2012

i think she was amazing as katnis, she wasn’t even fat!!

chuck denny

Posted at 11:53 AM on March 30, 2012

I see several movies a week and this was great. She is an outstanding actress and played the role incredibly well. The entire group deserves a standing ovation! !

Jmoe

Posted at 3:08 PM on March 30, 2012

I loved her as katniss she did a wonderful job. I do agree she could have been smaller for the part to represent that she was living in an environment that was depriving them of proper nutrition.i didn’t think it was a deal breaker to make the movie good or not. Her size is beautiful and she is super talented! She is a role model to be proud of who she is and how she is made.

Kelena

Posted at 8:54 PM on April 2, 2012

But, when Katniss was in the Capitol she ate all these amazing dinners and big plates of food. And she gained weight. Just because you don’t eat much that doesn’t mean you are stick thin. You actually get bloated from not eating. I don’t see why people are going around dissing the Hunger Games Cast. Jennifer is nowhere near fat. She is a positive role model for girls who feel like they are fat and need to be stick thin. Go, Jen!