Critics Are Nuts! Jennifer Lawrence Was Not 'Too Fat' For 'Hunger Games'

Thu, March 29, 2012 7:22pm EDT by 65 Comments
Jennifer Lawrence Too Fat For Katniss

It’s unbelievable to me people are complaining about Jennifer Lawrence’s body size after she did such a remarkable job portraying Katniss Everdeen in ‘The Hunger Games!’ It’s trivial and useless to even point that out!

Some of the country’s most-read critics — including ones from the New York Times and The Hollywood Reporter — have gone on record commenting on Jennifer Lawrence‘s normal-sized figure in The Hunger Games and how she doesn’t fit Katniss Everdeen’s skinny body type. Not only are these comments inappropriate, they are detrimental to any advances the 21-year-old actress has made in helping girls with body dysmorphia!

“A few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission,” Manohla Dargis wrote in the Times.

Her sentiment was echoed by Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter, who referred to Jennifer’s “lingering baby fat.”

Although I find it catty to comment on the talented actress’s weight at all, these highly influential writers could have reworded their thoughts and said “although Jennifer didn’t fit the physical description of Suzanne Collins‘s character…” and we would have gotten the point.

Yes, Katniss comes from a poor district. Yes, she is described as painfully thin. No, Jennifer isn’t a rail. But let’s be honest: did it really affect the storytelling in any capacity? No.

A writer on the site BlissTree, Briana Rognlin, was also upset about the Jennifer body controversy and made a point that struck a chord with me. “When female characters are meant to be ugly, old or fat, we’ll easily ignore discrepancies (because who would want to actually hire an actress who’s any of those things?),” she said. “But if a character is meant to be emaciated or sick, we feel conned if she hasn’t made herself those things in real life.”

People are hyper-focusing on a small detail, which is doing more harm than good. There’s nothing constructive about calling Jennifer “thick” or “too normal” at this point. News flash: she was already cast; the film has already been shot and we’ve all already seen it. It’s not like Lionsgate is going to pick up the phone, call her and demand she drop 20 pounds so she can finally look how Katniss is supposed to in book one. Get over it already.

The best part? Jennifer knows she’s not a runway model and totally owns it. In fact, she embraces it.

“I’m totally normal. You see these 12 and 13 year olds ordering salads with dressing on the side and thinking they need to be on a diet,” she told UK Marie Claire. “I do want the stick-thin trend to end.”

Jennifer, we need more young actresses as level-headed and healthy as you. Keep up the good work.

Yours in “normal” solidarity,

Kirstin

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Проститутки СПБ - самые сексуальные девушки Питера!

Posted at 6:44 PM on May 2, 2012

Проститутки и индивидуалки Питера, жду т Вас!

Brittany B

Posted at 1:08 PM on April 18, 2012

I thoroughly dislike how Jennifer needs to be gaunt to “fit the role” whilest no one was complaining of her male counterparts healthy weight. If Katniss is meant to be starving, so is Peeta surely?

kiki

Posted at 2:01 AM on April 19, 2012

totally agree…gale looked healthy to me!

kids scooters review

Posted at 12:55 PM on April 15, 2012

I used to be recommended this website through my cousin. I’m not sure whether or not this put up is written through him as nobody else realize such unique about my difficulty. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

Meh

Posted at 2:00 PM on April 13, 2012

Makes me feel ill that a healthy young woman is being attacked by people in the industry like this… I haven’t yet seen the movie but she is a brilliant actress in general and I’m sure she did the best she could… I have heard in general she did a great job and that should be what matters! I think she is a great role model; very outspoken, humble, talented and realistic looking! I like her and I hope she doesn’t bend to these morons in Hollyweird that think every woman under the age of forty must look like the love child of Skeletor and Boobarella.

Heather

Posted at 9:14 AM on April 11, 2012

Her size absolutely mattered because it was NOT believable that she could run faster, jump higher or climb better than any of the other contestants. The way I saw it, in the movie, Katniss should have died in the arena. Before she got the bow and arrows, she had zero advantage over anyone else.

Jennifer is not fat. She was simply too old to play Katniss.

Karen Yuen

Posted at 10:07 PM on April 13, 2012

LOL! Your comment is just so silly, because Jennifer Lawrence is not “FAT”. If you look closely, she’s very fit! And that’s what allows you to run and jump and do any other physical activity–MUSCLE!

Look at female athletes, for example. NONE of them are stick thin models! I understand that in the book, Katniss is from a poor district and supposedly rail-thin, but with her archery and strenuous physical activity foraging and hunting you’d think she’d have some muscle.

The movie is a different parallel than the book. I find it incredibly ignorant that you find the fact that this talented actress isn’t a small enough size. As if it’d be any more believable had she been a stick-thin rail.

Sally-anne

Posted at 4:46 AM on April 8, 2012

Okay, I haven’t read the books and I honestly had no idea what the movie was about before I saw it but I will say this.
When she was in the ‘fire suit’ thing with Peeta and they were walking around, I actually thought she was beautiful and had a tiny waist. I think she is the perfect size and no one should say otherwise.
Remember the movie Holes? The one with Shia Lebouf?
In the book it was a fat kid who got skinny. Instead, they got a skinny kid to play the part. Would you guys be complaining about that too?
The casting people pick whoever they think is good enough to play the role.
GET OVER IT ALREADY!

helen

Posted at 2:53 PM on April 7, 2012

If you take one of the biggest roles in hollywood then at least lose 30 or 40 pounds to look the part. Dedicated actors do it all the time. Her acting skills are wonderful but I could not get past the fact that she looked so big. She was even bigger than Peeta and he never went without food being the bakers son.

Eiggam

Posted at 12:15 PM on April 5, 2012

I think she looked the part, only a healthy girl with strong body is gonna fight off the other 22 to stay alive, you know what’s not believable? 85lbs Angie Jolie beating up on 15 200lbs+ men… yeah… that’s believable. 90lbs Zoe Saldana killing everyone, 90lbs Keira Knightley… you know what i mean. Those girls/ women are so unhealthy and skinny they don’t even have enough strength to carry their ipads around.

Audrey

Posted at 9:57 AM on April 4, 2012

Jennifer is a great actress but why do they think she’s fat

Me

Posted at 11:10 PM on April 3, 2012

shes not fat so the critics need to stfu they get on my nerves. not every1 in Hollywood has to be super skinny. This makes me mad >:(

Aubrey

Posted at 8:25 AM on April 3, 2012

She was painfully thin before she figured out how to hunt!! At the opening of the movie she and Prim are among the most well fed in the district due to her hunting skills and bartering.

Mckayla

Posted at 1:58 AM on April 3, 2012

Jennifer is not to fat for katniss she is very skinny how small do they expect someone to be and do such an amazing job just as she did

Melissa

Posted at 1:23 AM on April 3, 2012

I couldn’t agree more! I honestly couldn’t believe where some critics called her “big-boned”, really? She is far from being “big-boned” or having “baby fat”. Also, I find it interesting that this is even brought up, because in the book Katniss did in fact fatten up for the games, so to me her appearance is spot on in that regard. Either way, its saddening to me that someone who portrayed a character so perfectly is being criticized for not looking the part enough. So would they rather have someone who looked the part but did a terrible job at acting the part? To me personally some things can be overlooked, looks is one of them, acting isn’t!

Dow

Posted at 11:28 AM on April 2, 2012

Have you seen any pics of Todd McCarthy. One of the ugliest SOB’s in the world. Can’t believe he has the stones to judge someones weight. Its people like Todd McCarthy who add fuel to the bullies of the world who think it is OK to say whatever hurtful thing they want. Congratulations Todd McCarthy you are a bully.

Egecan john Sackesen

Posted at 7:08 AM on April 2, 2012

I luv u jenn and I wish u the best in ur future movies I don’t care what others say ur perfect in my eyes luv u!!

Tami

Posted at 8:42 AM on April 1, 2012

Absolutely Wrong! People are soooo shallow! When Katniss came out at the drawing she did look a bit gaunt. But what wasn’t portrayed in the movie that was in the book was that she actually pigged out to fatten up for the games on the train and at the capitol. Jennifer Lawrence was PERFECT!!!!

Cammie

Posted at 12:04 AM on April 1, 2012

I couldn’t agree more. She is the perfect katniss. Those other reporters can shut up. She’s perfect. Do you see the directors complaining? NO! So shut up you stupid reporters… Jennifer just ignore them.

Kia

Posted at 2:03 AM on April 3, 2012

Exactly she was amazing and she fit the part way better than anyone else ever could SHE IS NOT FAT!!!!!! Don’t listen to them jennifer you were amazing
Best movie of the year

Mark A

Posted at 12:13 AM on March 31, 2012

I do agree that critics should have reworded its comments about Jennifer being cast as Katniss.

I was impressed on Jennifer’s performance in the movie. She can act alright. Though the that Katniss I imagined (based on the book’s descriptions) is a bit different.

I was actually disappointed at the producers. It looked like they cheaped out on its budget making this movie.

dizzy

Posted at 9:57 PM on March 30, 2012

Ugh, she’s not fat! She has curves. She has a killer body. Her performance in Hunger Games went above and beyond.

Col

Posted at 9:13 PM on March 30, 2012

I noticed a couple of scenes where she didn’t have a “Hollywood perfect” figure but was was nevertheless voluptuous, and I thought to myself that this was a positive step for reality and for women in general.

I think the fat critics are being extremely irresponsible in their public position to criticise such a minor detail. They are in a position to change perceptions that a woman doesn’t have to obsess about being stick thin and cause physical and psychological harm to herself.

In the end, the film is not about whether the woman has a perfect figure. Get a life!

Suua P.

Posted at 5:05 PM on March 30, 2012

Jennifer is the best and probably one of the most talented actresses I’ve seen on screen. I Loved her peroformance as Katniss and I pray to God that she gets awarded or at least nominated.

Janice

Posted at 12:39 PM on March 30, 2012

Thank you Misty. Many people seem to have missed the part of the books that explained that Katniss hunted and trapped. She also then traded for other food for her family. People from the appalacian region know how to survive off the land, so she would not be emaciated or anorexic looking.

c

Posted at 11:52 AM on March 30, 2012

jesus, if she’s fat then im a whale.. i didn’t read the book and would have never thought she looked to healthy to play the part.. ridiculous

jay

Posted at 10:47 AM on March 30, 2012

It makes me sad that critics can’t just compliment movies these days for what they are. It seems like no matter what the quality is, there will always be some kind of flaw. Jennifer Lawrence did a phenomenal job as Katniss. I think choosing someone who wasn’t emaciated for the role was an honorable choice. Adolescent girls will be looking up to her. If I was a parent, I’d want my daughters to idolize to be healthy as opposed to stick thin..it’s pathetic how much our culture is obsessed with weight these days.

Critics need to leave her alone. She’s a phenomenal, level-headed actress. I can’t wait to see her in Catching Fire.

Rez

Posted at 10:36 AM on March 30, 2012

First of all, nobody is saying Jennifer is fat, she’s lovely and I complement her for the confidence. But yes critics have a point when they say she wasn’t Catniss physically. The facts are facts and I have to say that I thought the movie was horribly shoot technically by the director, thou Jen made a great job portraying her character. But they could have used some CGI effects to make her look thinner for the sake of the story.Point. And for me was important cause the other books and movies to come are lame, I just liked the HG, basically Catching Fire was repeating HG and a good story can be still good once, not twice, not to mention that aweful thing called the Mockingjay which was the biggest disappointment of all