Critics Are Nuts! Jennifer Lawrence Was Not 'Too Fat' For 'Hunger Games'

Thu, March 29, 2012 7:22pm EDT by 65 Comments
Jennifer Lawrence Too Fat For Katniss

It’s unbelievable to me people are complaining about Jennifer Lawrence’s body size after she did such a remarkable job portraying Katniss Everdeen in ‘The Hunger Games!’ It’s trivial and useless to even point that out!

Some of the country’s most-read critics — including ones from the New York Times and The Hollywood Reporter — have gone on record commenting on Jennifer Lawrence‘s normal-sized figure in The Hunger Games and how she doesn’t fit Katniss Everdeen’s skinny body type. Not only are these comments inappropriate, they are detrimental to any advances the 21-year-old actress has made in helping girls with body dysmorphia!

“A few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission,” Manohla Dargis wrote in the Times.

Her sentiment was echoed by Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter, who referred to Jennifer’s “lingering baby fat.”

Although I find it catty to comment on the talented actress’s weight at all, these highly influential writers could have reworded their thoughts and said “although Jennifer didn’t fit the physical description of Suzanne Collins‘s character…” and we would have gotten the point.

Yes, Katniss comes from a poor district. Yes, she is described as painfully thin. No, Jennifer isn’t a rail. But let’s be honest: did it really affect the storytelling in any capacity? No.

A writer on the site BlissTree, Briana Rognlin, was also upset about the Jennifer body controversy and made a point that struck a chord with me. “When female characters are meant to be ugly, old or fat, we’ll easily ignore discrepancies (because who would want to actually hire an actress who’s any of those things?),” she said. “But if a character is meant to be emaciated or sick, we feel conned if she hasn’t made herself those things in real life.”

People are hyper-focusing on a small detail, which is doing more harm than good. There’s nothing constructive about calling Jennifer “thick” or “too normal” at this point. News flash: she was already cast; the film has already been shot and we’ve all already seen it. It’s not like Lionsgate is going to pick up the phone, call her and demand she drop 20 pounds so she can finally look how Katniss is supposed to in book one. Get over it already.

The best part? Jennifer knows she’s not a runway model and totally owns it. In fact, she embraces it.

“I’m totally normal. You see these 12 and 13 year olds ordering salads with dressing on the side and thinking they need to be on a diet,” she told UK Marie Claire. “I do want the stick-thin trend to end.”

Jennifer, we need more young actresses as level-headed and healthy as you. Keep up the good work.

Yours in “normal” solidarity,

Kirstin

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

Erik

Posted at 2:30 AM on January 17, 2014

I think she portrayed Katniss well enough but she didn’t really commit that much to the role, both on physical and psychological aspects. Maybe she should take some tips from Christian Bale who goes full out on everything, making his characters both convincing and interesting. I’m not saying she should starve herself like he did for the Machinist, but come on.

Olivia

Posted at 6:39 PM on November 12, 2013

If anyone has read the book, they know that Katniss still struggled to keep her family fed each day even when she could hunt and trade. Just because you can shoot squirrels and pick berries doesn’t mean that you have enough food to feed the 3 people in Katniss’s family plus the 6 in Gale’s. Jennifer Lawrence isn’t fat, but Katniss is supposed to be a scrawny under-fed young girl. I’m 5′ 4″ and 120lbs and I would consider myself too big to play Katniss. Plenty of actresses and actors gain and lose weight for a role, it wouldn’t have been to much for Jennifer to do as well.

Elle

Posted at 11:14 PM on July 19, 2013

Jennifer Lawrence is overweight. she’s 5’6″ and 140 pounds. she says that she eats junk food and eatslike a caveman . I’m 120 pounds 5’6″ and I exercise and eat right so don’t tell me she’s a good role model for our kids when obesity is an epidemic epidemic in the United States of America. She’s not obese but she’s encouraging little girls to eat junk food and be unhealthy.

Jenna

Posted at 11:56 PM on November 26, 2012

I think she has an absolutely amazing, gorgeous body. But for the sake of the role, it would’ve been more perfect if she fits Katniss’ body type more – Katniss is STARVED, whether we like it or not, so Im sure she’s not supposed to have a robust body like JLaw’s. JLaw is a phenomenal actress, but it still bothers me she doesn’t fit the physical description of Katniss, which does take a bit away from the storytelling. Actors lose weight all the time for their roles, so why can’t she? She’s not promoting unhealthy body types; it would be for a ROLE.

chelsea

Posted at 11:21 PM on May 25, 2012

I dont think anyone understands what they were trying to say. I don’t think they were saying she was fat. Katniss is supposed to be starving, so obviously she’s going to be really skinny and Jen is not. I personally don’t think its a big deal that she wasnt a stick but I see what they were saying, they werent trying to be rude. They were giving a valid point and if you read the books you’d understand what they meant and where they were coming from.

Abby

Posted at 10:24 AM on May 14, 2012

She did a fonamanal job. She really has talent. It doesn’t matter what she looks like. I think it’s offensive to call her “fat” because it’s rude. She doesn’t deserve this treatment.

Junior

Posted at 6:58 AM on February 27, 2013

I think you’re missing the point – the critics quoted in the article are by no means calling her fat, but are saying she isn’t fitting the body type of Katniss. As other’s have mentioned, Katniss was supposed to be starving. The fact that people were starved to submission is a very central point to the story, and her (admittedly stunning) athletic body seems out of place. Personally, this bothered me through the course of the movie (and I know I’m not alone on this). Furthermore, I think her reason for not losing weight isn’t the best. She could have lost weight for the role, and have gained it back afterwards, all the while talking about how she did it to portray someone who is starved. Afterall, it would be ridiculous for someone portraying an anorexic (for example) in a movie to look healthy an fit, all because they don’t want to send the wrong message to young girls.

Olivia

Posted at 6:41 PM on November 12, 2013

Freakin thank you! Jenn isn’t fat, she just doesn’t fit the body type of the character. The people living in that district are supposed to be STARVING.

Katniss Evergreen :D

Posted at 7:28 AM on May 7, 2012

They want girls to be anorexic which is UNHEALTHY and SICK. Jen has a great body :D Don’t starve yourself!

CJ

Posted at 1:29 AM on May 7, 2012

Jennifer played the role of Katniss to a tee. I’m sure she will get an oscar nod this year. I’m also sure the millions who saw this movie are losing sleep over Jennifer not being to heavy for the role….NOT!! Only critics do that.