Jessica Simpson's Gained 50 lbs — Too Much Say Obstetricians

Tue, March 27, 2012 3:44pm EDT by 88 Comments

Jessica has gained twice as much weight while pregnant as doctors recommend and that can actually put her baby at risk, warns a top doctor. Here’s why!

Jessica Simpson might want to put down that leg of fried chicken because even though it tastes good, it’s bad for her baby girl. HollyBaby.com spoke to two top OBGYN’s who reveal that a pregnant woman should not put on more than 25 pounds and Jessica looks like she’s put on 50!

“Jessica has put on well over 50 lbs,” says Dr. Tara Solomon, owner at The Women’s Wellness Center of South Florida.”She talks about eating cheesecake for breakfast and fried chicken for lunch. She is way too big to be working out, so the weight is piling on.”

But Dr. Solomon says that Jessica’s excessive weight gain could actually hurt her baby and could complicate her pregnancy.

“Her doctors have told her to expect a 10 lb baby,” she says. “The problem with large babies is that they can have respiratory problems and problems maintaining their glucose or sugar levels. I usually try to keep my patients at a 25 lb weight gain maximum in order to prevent a possible traumatic delivery with a large child. A pregnant woman should be eating about 1200 calories a day to keep up with baby’s nutritional needs. She has gone overboard for sure.”

We also spoke to Dr. Patricia Allen, an OBGYN in NYC who says that part of the reason why Jessica could look so large right now is due to water retention.

“Some women retain a great deal of water during the last month of pregnancy which can cause them to certainly not feel or look their best,” Dr. Allen says. “The general recommendations for weight gain in pregnancy are 25-35 pounds. Obstetricians are concerned if there is excess weight gain because it may increase pregnancy related diabetes and pre-eclampsia.”

We just hope that Jessica gives birth to a healthy baby girl and we can’t wait to meet the little one!

— Chloe Melas

More Jessica Simpson:

1. The View Ladies Say Michelle Duggar Must Be Getting Pregnant For Great Orgasms
  2. Jessica Simpson’s Baby Name — Revealed
  3. Daniel Musto’s ‘Fashion Star’ Recap: Nicholas ‘Flubbed’ & Offended Under Pressure

Jennifer

Posted at 7:35 PM on April 4, 2012

This article is ridiculous and dangerous. To tell women to only take in 1200 calories is insane! Jessica Simpson was over weight to begin with and probably should not have gained so much but most women are told 25-35 lbs is healthy.

Sunny

Posted at 7:27 PM on April 4, 2012

This article is crazy. I cannot believe that we are reduced to focusing on weight gain of a PREGNANT woman. Before I got pregnant I weight 120. I ballooned up to 185. My diet was pristien. Fish, fruits, vegetables. My daughter ended up being 10 pounds. Do you know how frustrated I was while I was PREGNANT trying to CONTROL my weight gain? And we wonder why young women are struggling with severe eating disorders (I did). America is so shallow. Who sets the standards of beauty? Who are we to say what is attractive and what is not? Who are we to say that people should look in a way that is PLEASING to OTHERS? By the way, I lost all of the weight with breastfeeding, diet and exercising. Oh and I guess the doctor above (who is not her treating doctor) has a camera on her and knows EXACTLY how she eats. We truly need to get over ourselfs and look at all of our own faults instead of quickly running to point out others. And we wonder why bullying is so rampant…

Sharon

Posted at 3:51 PM on April 4, 2012

I don’t think it’s the weight she’s gained, so much as what she ate to gain the weight. Sure, you should take in some extra calories when pregnant, but not the empty calories (not to mention trans and saturated fats) that come from cheesecake and fried chicken. She’s overloading on fats and sugars, which are detrimental to the baby’s health. It’s a misconception that a pregnant woman should give in to every craving she has. In the long run, it can lead to complications during labor and health problems for the baby. All that being said though, it’s her choice, and I feel bad that she’s getting attacked by the media.

Eva

Posted at 2:54 PM on April 4, 2012

I thought 1200 calories was for DIETING women.

Danita

Posted at 7:48 PM on April 3, 2012

Seriously? 1200 calories per day for a pregnant lady? Are you insane?

Pita

Posted at 12:00 PM on April 3, 2012

This article is so stupid. I have 2 kid and on both of them I gain around 40 pounds, and both of my babies and my self were healthy. Now I am pregnant with baby number 3 and I have already gain 5 pounds in the first 2 and a half months. So I am trying to eat healthier and walk more, but for my other kids I did that too and I still gain a lot of weight. And she’s almost due so I don’t know why they always want famous moms to remain super thin. Let them have a happy pregnancy they’ll have all the time and help in the world afterwards to come back to their normal weight…

j

Posted at 8:58 PM on April 1, 2012

Jessica got thicker and bigger when she dated Romo. She used to be slim and svelte. Sort of looks like she got heavier.
The thing that makes Jessica unattractive is her unladylike
conversations. She is with a loser now. What happened to her values?

Emily

Posted at 1:56 PM on April 1, 2012

I gained 75 lbs with my first pregnancy and it didn’t matter what I ate if I ate crap one month it was 7 lbs then ate healthy and walked the next it was 9 lbs. everyones metabolism is different. And 1200 calories for a
Pregnant woman a day, I think that is a mistake I think she looks fine. She looks like a normal pregnant girl not a stick with a bowling ball under her shirt.

Holly

Posted at 12:33 PM on April 4, 2012

No, this is not normal. She is enormous. The recommended healthy….normal….weight gain for women is somewhere between 20 – 35 lbs, depending on your weight when you started the pregnancy. She speaks of eating fried chicken and buttered pop tarts and cheesecake. Come on….she has been eating herself into a stupor the whole pregnancy. I hope there are no complications with her delivery and the baby is ok. This is not ok, its so not healty and its just horrible to look at. good luck trying to lose all that fat Jess…you did it to yourself.

Vicky

Posted at 6:37 PM on April 4, 2012

Sorry crazy lady…. I gained 40,my sister aimed 60 and ALL…. I MEAN EVERYONE of my friends gained over 30. Get a life…… We are all back to our skinny selves. Maybe when your fat to begin with I can see…. But when your naturally a six or so I wouldn’t worry. Stick to your own self depriving….

Sue

Posted at 7:37 PM on April 4, 2012

Yes, I guess you know exactly how she’s eating during her ENTIRE pregnancy, including conception. And horrible to look at? Says who? Oh that’s right we have to make sure our appearances are up to your standards. Not healthy? Are you her OB? I gained 60 pounds during my preganancy WHILE eating very healthy. Had a very healthy, but HUGE baby (almost 10.5 pounds). Back to my normal 125 size in less than a year. People need to really and truly get a life

Ami

Posted at 6:31 PM on March 30, 2012

Doctors sometimes need to leave celebrity women alone about their bodies, especially when they’re pregnant. The last thing a pregnant woman wants to hear is that she looks “too big” or “too small” and saying that all over social media outlets and publications is just a douchebag thing to do.
Everyone is different. And how does anyone know what she eats in her private. For all anyone knows she might live in Whole Foods.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Posted at 6:22 PM on March 30, 2012

I don’t know about the 25 lb thing. i am 5′ 3″ and weighed about 118 when i got pregnant. The doctors told me to expect to gain 30-35. so i would expect other who are bigger to gain more maybe? but definitely not less.

leonav

Posted at 6:30 AM on March 30, 2012

I gained 70 lbs and had a beautiful baby girl. I became very tiny within 2 years, down to 110 pounds, and my daughter who is today all grown is also delicate, barely 120 pounds, and very smart, she has a post graduate degree in science and a very good job. So there doctor, what do you know about motherhood?

frgreh

Posted at 5:06 AM on March 30, 2012

jesus lord not to be mean but shes fat

ann

Posted at 10:13 AM on March 29, 2012

♥♥♥♥blackwhiteplanet ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ BLACKWHIT EPLANET ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥blackwhiteplanet ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ BLACKWHIT EPLANET ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥blackwhiteplanet ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥

Posted at 6:01 AM on March 29, 2012

♥♥♥♥blackwhiteplanet ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ BLACKWHIT EPLANET ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥
♥♥♥♥blackwhiteplanet ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ BLACKWHIT EPLANET ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥
♥♥♥♥blackwhiteplanet ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ BLACKWHIT EPLANET ¸℃0M♥♥♥♥

H_e_r_e____f_i_n_d___I_n_t_e_r_r_a_c_i_a_l___R_o_m_a_n_c_e___t_r_u_e___l_o_v_e_
Looking for someone that is trustworthy and loyal.
someone fun, care free, intelligent, independent, Place___ For___ Interracial ___Singles ___And___ Admires!
Place_to_meet_a__Inter’racial_partner. Every_quality_single_is_welcome_here !if_you_ interested_in_meeting_
Date_sexy_beautiful_women,—rich man_for_marriage.

Declan

Posted at 4:02 AM on March 29, 2012

Ah. Concern trolling at its finest! And with a “doctor” involved, no less. Kudos!

Gossip Queen

Posted at 2:45 AM on March 29, 2012

Tia Mowry gained about 60 pounds. The doctors said nothing.

LittleMo

Posted at 8:04 PM on March 28, 2012

Jessica could have gained 50 pounds, more than 50 pounds, or even less than 50 pounds. What that weight looks like can and does vary depending on the woman’s bone structure, body type, and especially height. An extra 20 pounds on a woman who is 5 feet 2 inches is going to look like a lot whereas that same 20 pounds on a woman who is 5 feet 6 inches may not even be noticed. Jessica looks a bit swollen and bloated, too, which means water retention and water is heavy – just try picking up a 5-gallon bucket full of H2O – heavier than a bag of sand. As long as the baby is healthy and the doctor WHO IS ACTUALLY MONITORING AND TREATING HER are satisfied, leave her alone. I just hope the article about renting out the entire hospital wing is wrong. I was disgusted when Beyonce did it and parents couldn’t get to the ICU to see their babies and I would hate it just as much if Jessica does it. How many parents and babies could go without the safety and security of a hospital birth because of that kind of selfishness?

Stewart

Posted at 6:04 PM on March 28, 2012

Gain no more than 25 pounds the entire pregnancy and on a diet restriction of 1200 calories a day?! What a freaking stupid doctor. Not one of my pregnant friends ever gained less than 35 pounds and I don’t think restricting calories to 1200 is safe (even for most diets). Stupid, stupid doctor.

hannah

Posted at 4:52 PM on March 28, 2012

1200 calories a day when pregnant? that is absolute RUBBISH and a disgraceful statement. no wonder we are a generation obsessed with our weight and looks, with eating disorders ruining the lives of far too many. i couldn’t name you ONE of my friends that put on less than 40lbs during pregnancy. DISGUSTED at this article.

joy

Posted at 12:34 PM on April 5, 2012

Read the doctors comment again, it says 1200 to support the babies nutritional needs, not that a pregnant woman should only eat 1200 calories a day. It is her normal calorie intake while not pregnant, probably around 1600 for a shorter woman like her plus 1200 calories for the baby. Dont be rediculous

Ann

Posted at 4:13 PM on March 28, 2012

as long as she’s healthy and baby too who cares how much weight she put on!!! It’s a shame she can’t enjoy her pregnancy because everyone is focused on her weight gain. I’m pregnant with my 3rd and actually lost 20 pounds (I’m a heavy girl) when your healthy weight is just a number!! btw I remember when kate hudson was pregnant with her first, she got really big, now look at her.

Leah

Posted at 2:54 PM on March 28, 2012

LOLOL…she has gained way more than 50 pounds!!! maybe 70, she is fricken HUGE, short and pregnancy never look good to me because shorter women usually look gigantic, but there is no way she only gained 50 pounds…maybe in each breast??

Courtney

Posted at 12:29 PM on March 28, 2012

these OB’s should shut up it’s common to gain 50lbs or more in your first pregnancy and she’s carrying excess amniotic fluid which is why her due date was pushed forward not the weight gain. nobody said anything when her sister Ashlee gained 55lbs when she was pregnant with Bronx in 2008. granted Jess is shorter than Ashlee and a different bodytype so she carries pregnancy differently as long as her and the baby are healthy it’s none of the publics business how much weight she gained during her pregnancy.

gbtw

Posted at 2:31 PM on March 28, 2012

totally agree. annoying article, annoying opinions. 25 pounds. i don’t know many people that did it that way, whether it’s the best way or not. the people i know that did it that way were skinny minnies that were hyper vigilant about their weight (not that that is a bad thing!) or people that were nauseous/sick the whole time. personally, i gained over 60 (i was skinny beforehand), and lost almost all of it in the first 10 weeks without even thinking twice about it. a ton of it was fluid retention. my baby was 9-1, and very healthy… to this day. another skinny friend of mine gained 90 pounds— which sounds outrageous, but she and her baby were and are healthy to this day. all of this stuff is person specific and ridiculous to speculate about. i know a triathlete who was totally disciplined and perfect with her diet during pregnancy— she still got the pregnancy diabetes thing. so, everyone should really just shut up about this. it’s so annoying.

Your mom

Posted at 10:56 AM on March 28, 2012

Uh, does the random OB from Florida who’s not actually treating Simpson mean an ADDITIONAL 1200 calories a day? Because 1200 a day on *any* activity level for a non-pregnant woman is essentially a starvation diet.

Danielle

Posted at 3:05 PM on March 28, 2012

That must be a typo. He probably meant 2100. I did a double take too.

Flo

Posted at 10:47 AM on March 28, 2012

Sorry, but she has gained WAY more than 50 pounds! I gained 40 with both of my kids and looked nothing like she looks. I was all belly and lost my weight without a contract with Jenny Craig like she has. She has gained at least 75. Find the REAL number please.

ann

Posted at 10:35 AM on March 28, 2012

Hey, Age ain’t nothing but a number for these loved-up A-Listers. My BF and I both think so! He is almost 10 years older than I. We met via ~~Agelessmeet .COM~~ a nice place for younger women and older men, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other! Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends :)

Sterling

Posted at 1:47 PM on March 28, 2012

Um I am currently on a diet to lose weight monitered by my doctor. I am required to eat between 1200-1400 calories today. Anything lower and the metabolism slows down.

If you are pregnant you require more. So I don’t know what med school this person went to but they are way off base.