'Mad Men' Star January Jones Eats Her Own Placenta

Mon, March 26, 2012 8:32am EDT by 9 Comments
January Jones Placenta

The actress insists it’s not ‘witch-crafty’ and recommends it to all moms to keep energy up!

After giving birth to her son Xander last September, Mad Men actress January Jones, 34, was back on set right away. “I think I went back to set six or seven weeks after, so he was really little,” she tells People magazine. But needing a way to maintain high energy during the exhausting shooting schedule, January turned to an unlikely choice — placenta pills!

“I have a great doula who makes sure I’m eating well, with vitamins and teas, and with placenta capsulation,” she says.

She’s taken the pill every day since right after giving birth, as well as anytime she feels tired. “Your placenta gets dehydrated and made into vitamins,” she explains. “It’s something I was very hesitant about, but we’re the only mammals who don’t ingest our own placentas. It’s not witch-crafty or anything! I suggest it to all moms!”

With the grueling Mad Men shooting schedule, January needed something to keep energy high. “It was hard to work long days and then go home and not sleep,” she says. “It’s getting harder, not easier, so I’m a little concerned!”

But no matter what, she was determined to spend as much time with baby Xander as possible on set. “I had the baby and the baby nurse in their own room so I could go back and feed him every two hours,” she says. “If I felt like he needed me, or if he needed to eat, or even if I just needed a squeeze because I was having separation issues, I would go back and see him. It was such a blessing that I wasn’t separated from him.”

And don’t worry, Mad Men fans: January’s parenting techniques are nothing like her character Betty’s.

“I think my fans make cracks about it, but they don’t actually think I’d bring any of Betty’s parenting into my own life,” she says. “What’s nice is that the expectations for my parenting is very low, so I can really only exceed the expectations.”

HollyMoms — Would YOU ever eat your own placenta? Gross or good idea?

More January Jones:

1. Seven Weirdest Celebrity Baby Names Of The Past Year
  2. Best Dressed Celebrities Of The Week: Jennifer Lawrence & More
  3. 8 Sexy Celeb Single Moms — Charlize Theron, Sandra Bullock & More

multifocal toric contact lenses

Posted at 11:43 AM on February 27, 2013

Your style is really unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this blog.

Poetry

Posted at 7:45 AM on April 6, 2012

Generally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, very nice post.

Richard

Posted at 2:08 PM on March 26, 2012

This was a fairly common practice in China, though I haven’t lived there in 20+ years.

Nicole

Posted at 1:43 PM on March 26, 2012

The placenta is FULL of vitamins and nourishment. I wouldn’t eat it in its natural form, the same way I wouldn’t eat cod liver oil in natural form. But in pill form theres no taste. It makes you feel a million times better after giving birth, it’s what mammals use to give them energy after birth.

Fry Samy

Posted at 12:43 PM on March 26, 2012

Wanna make serious money working from home only a few hours a day and make a nice extra income doing what you already do, here is the site where you can earn up to $5000 weekly!!! For more info visit MAKECASH25.çOM

Sidney

Posted at 10:42 AM on March 26, 2012

We are the only mammals who don’t eat our placenta because we are the only ones civilized enough to know that it is gross. We also don’t eat our poop and lick our butts clean.

Kelly

Posted at 7:22 PM on April 12, 2012

You’re an idiot speaking about something of which you know nothing. Do some research before making brash statements like above.

Brat

Posted at 10:24 AM on March 26, 2012

I’ve heard of this. I heard of women who fried it up and ate it and once heard a women plant it around her garden.

babyjudy

Posted at 10:11 AM on March 26, 2012

Age ain’t nothing but a number for these loved-up A-Listers. My best friend , she just met a man who is 10years older than she, they met via~~~–Ag eLessMeet .С’ o _M.~~ ~~ a nice place for younger women and oldermen, or older women and younger men, to interact with each other! Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends! ====