5 Reasons Why 'The Hunger Games' Is Better Than 'Twilight'

Mon, March 26, 2012 11:44am EDT by 190 Comments
The Hunger Games Twilight

‘The Hunger Games’ opened with $155 million at the box office — besting the opening weekends of all four ‘Twilight’ films. This phenomenon can be explained easily — ‘The Hunger Games’ is far superior, on page and screen.

Sorry Twilight fans, more people like The Hunger Games. The new movie, based on the first book of Suzanne Collins‘ trilogy, earned $155 million during its opening weekend. That’s more than all four Twilight films made during their debuts. So why did this happen? Well, let me explain.

#1 — It’s smarter: Set in a dystopian future, The Hunger Games questions the society in which we live in, with its send-up of reality television and judgement of how we are engaging with celebrity culture. Twilight encourages young girls to give up everything to be with their high school boyfriend.

#2 — Katniss isn’t a wet dishrag like Bella: When her father died at age 11, Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) took to the woods to feed her family. Eventually — spoiler alert — she becomes the symbol of an entire revolution. Bella (Kristen Stewart) whines her way through high school, doesn’t want to go to college and flits back and forth between two boys.

#3 — The love story comes second: Yes, technically Katniss is in a love triangle just like Bella. But unlike Bella, Katniss is not defined by the men she loves. And Gale (Liam Hemsworth) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) are not unhealthily obsessed with Katniss, as Jacob (Taylor Lautner) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) are with Bella. Which leades me to …

#4 — Gale & Peeta > Jacob & Edward: Gale and Peeta love Katniss unconditionally. Jacob and Edward treat Bella like a prize they are desperate to control.

#5 — The Hunger Games has a broader appeal: In my non-scientific research, I’ve discovered that the majority of Twilight fans are made up of two types of people. One, the nerdy girl who thinks the school hunk ignores her because he really is secretly in love with her and two, her mother, saddened by the lack of passion in her marriage, writes erotic fan fiction revolving around Edward and Bella. On the other hand, there is something for everyone in The Hunger Games — friendship, family loyalty, politics, bloody battles, sacrifice and even love. And because of its underlying message, it transcends age — adults love it, too.

What do you think, HollywoodLifers — which do you like better?

– Denise Warner

More ‘Hunger Games’ News

1. Jennifer Lawrence, Stop Hating Yourself — You Were Amazing In ‘The Hunger Games’
  2. Fans Love ‘Hunger Games’ At NYC Midnight Screenings
  3. Did Justin Bieber Go To A Midnight Showing Of ‘Hunger Games’?

sandra

Posted at 7:36 PM on June 5, 2012

the hunger games is wayyyyyy better than twilight!! first of all it’s more realistic and almost everyone can relate to the hunger games in some way like they said. this is in a not so distant future and it scares me how one day we could be forced to watch kids and teens fight to the death for others entertainment. twilight is lame i have a friend who loves twilight but also likes the hunger games. I think she likes twilight more becuz she told me she was going to pre order breaking dawn part 2 tickets i told her that i’m going to wait rather impatiently for catching fire to come out. my point proven.

annoyed

Posted at 7:49 PM on June 8, 2012

twilight isn’t suppposed to be beliveable its just for fun.i cant relate to the hungergames so your point NOT proven!!!!!!

Ruth

Posted at 5:27 PM on May 24, 2012

The Hunger Games are way better than Twilight, and this is coming from a 13-year-old girl, within the target audience for Twicrap.

First of all, it has completely destroyed Vampire mythology. I know some Twitards will come and say “NO-ONE’S EVER DONE IT BEFORE” but the fact that she’s changed it COMPLETELY ruins the mythology everywhere. It’s not creative when you’ve just practically removed everything that vampires were known for. Sparkling in the sun? I think those sparkles should be sparks of light, burning them.

Secondly, The Hunger Games appeals to a wider age range than Twilight, and it covers a variety of topics. It is also realistic. Bella is supposedly a ‘plain’ girl yet five guys fall in love with her AS SOON as she goes to Forks. And how about Edward? He’s a Gary Stu, because why else would Smeyer go to all that trouble to describe everything about him, even his breath?

Finally, it isn’t love we’re dealing with here, it’s lust. Bella only likes Edward because he’s so goodlooking (proved by the amount of description Smeyer puts into it as a filler) and Edward only likes her because of her SCENT.

Not to mention Smeyer based Bella off herself, and got the whole idea from a dream. She said so herself; look on the website. She’s living in her own fantasies and wants a boyfriend just as perfect as Edward, which is why she created him. Her description of Bella even matches what Smeyer looks like in real life.

Before you start saying “IT’S A BOOK/FILM, GET OVER IT” or “IT’S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC, IT’S FANTASY” there was somewhere in the FAQ with Smeyer on her website that she was trying to make it realistic. If you even bother to reply to this, it means you care, so don’t even try using the “Get over it” argument.

Sincerely, a 13 year old who hates Twilight and always will.

Kaitlyn

Posted at 8:05 PM on June 8, 2012

it cant be tried to be relistic it involves VAMPIRES and you miss anoyed 13 year old girrl get over yourself you cant always be right so you and your retarted mind should just go jump in a hole and cry because you will NEVER be right!!! alot of people base books off their dreams and if you actual read the books youd know they dont love each other because of looks or sents. Ever vampire book has burnning vampires in their books an like you said its based off her dreams she didnt want norma vampires GET A NONSTUPID LIFE CAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE A RETARDED ONE

youwanna know what i thin about the sparkles they should be on you while you rot in hell

Sapphire S-P

Posted at 8:29 PM on May 14, 2012

STOP COMPARING TWILIGHT AND THE HUNGER GAMES!!! They are just fiction! Sure, Meyer’s writing is quite immature compared to Collins’ writing, but Meyer’s books are more of a flip-through. Collins’ books have much more action.
Seriously, I can’t believe I am commenting in a comparing-Nazi war zone. I just had to.
Bella may be a whiney idiot who is lusting after a vampire, but that is NO REASON to compare her to Katniss!
Sincerely,
An annoyed 13-year-old girl
P.S. I’m gonna love and tolerate all the filth out of you.

Sarah

Posted at 10:31 PM on April 26, 2012

Ive read both books, Ive finished reading twilight a week ago, i dont want to repeat that experience… Im never reading those books again. The only thing that Kept me going was the feeling of not finishing a book. Ugh, i dont really like twilight. ( i also slept during the movie…) the story is somewhat dumb as the vampire thing is like ” so original”, seriously if you take the love triangle off twilight, you get a girl who moves from city to city where it rains ( accept it everyone who read those books) While the hunger Games is a trilogy Ive read over 5 times each book, its so captivating. And id you take the love triangle off thg, you get a bunch of kids fighting, rebellions, hunts plus katniss is a strong female lead, which does not happen often. Most of the books that stars a teenage girl makes us women look weak ( example, Bella).

twilightfan

Posted at 8:08 PM on June 8, 2012

i fell asleep in the hunger games not twilight

bella dosent make women look weak havent you seen or read all the stuff she went through

The Hunger Games is better.

Posted at 4:38 PM on August 13, 2013

“i fell asleep in the hunger games not twilight”

Well, that’s because you’re 8 years old and it was past your bedtime.

Kaitlyn

Posted at 11:34 PM on April 15, 2012

Look people you can not say one is better than another because ONE PERSON CANT DECIDE WHICH ONE IS BETTER!! Even if you do research on it you cannot say that one is better YOU can like one more than the other but you cannot say that Hunger Games are better than Twilight just by your own thoughts. To you hunger games may be the best to someone else twilight is the best. NEITHER BOOK/MOVIE IS TELLING YOU TO GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING!!!! IT IS A FREAKING BOOK/MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS MADE TO READ/WATCH AND ENJOY NOT TO HAVE A BLOODY FIGHT OVER WHICH IS BETTER!! YOU CANNOT MAKE A CORRECT STATEMENT BY SAYING HUNGER GAMES IS BETTER IT IS A MATTER OF OPINION! NEITHER IS “BETTER” THAN THE OTHER JUST BECAUSE OF VOTES! Please just grow up and realize that no one can tell you one is better and be correct about it. yes twilight is not real it is a FANTASY book therefor it is meant to be FAKE, you cannot jude it like that just because it cant be real. IT’S NOT MEANT TO BE REAL! That is why she made it a FANTASY!

DEAR FANS OF BOTH OR ONE OF THESE

Neither of you are right. One isnt better they are both books/movies and are different. You cannot simply say one is better unless everyone thinks the same which they dont’ so no twilight isnt better than hunger games. And no the hunger games are not better than twilight.

IT IS A MATTER OF OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

twilightfan

Posted at 10:50 PM on April 15, 2012

first: some of these may be true but that doesnt make it better
second: i know alot of people who like this and they are beautiful like me i love this movie im not a nerd and im dating the hottest guy in school nothing about the fans are true
third:i watched the hunger games and i couldnt stand i might have fallen asleep

et

Posted at 11:24 AM on April 14, 2012

Twilight is very sexist.

dd

Posted at 11:34 PM on June 9, 2012

how

Kathrine

Posted at 8:01 AM on April 12, 2012

i have read both series and the hunger games have more depth…not just a girl who want so desperly a vampire and that’s why she puts in danger her whole family.The hunger games are better.i like twilight but…they can;t even compare.

wii fix guide

Posted at 5:27 AM on April 10, 2012

I do not even know how I stopped up right here, but I believed this post was once good. I do not realize who you are however certainly you are going to a famous blogger for those who are not already. Cheers!

Fonduri Europene Pentru Salcie Energetica

Posted at 12:31 PM on April 9, 2012

fantastic points altogether, you simply gained a brand new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your put up that you just made some days ago? Any certain?

jdietes

Posted at 12:28 PM on April 9, 2012

to be honest I love twilight all of them and not yet seen thg but most post are true they are totally two different story lines. but if u look at it all the bad things kids are doing these days they get from movies and THG is kinda like that kids going out killing each other and they can copy a lot from that movie and the twilight movies well really none of us can have powers like the Cullen family so I would rather see kids pawning over twilight and not getting in their heads thing like THG really would hate to see that on the news probably great movie all power to them but in away supports bullying need to stop it not support it! but I would still watch it movie is a movie its just dumb kid who try to repeat it!

LSB

Posted at 6:00 PM on April 10, 2012

I get what you are saying about the violence, but at the same time twilight has got violence in it as well. All the bad things that kids are doing they aren’t caused by movies they are caused by emotional issues generally from home or school. Yes we will never have the same ‘powers’ as the Cullen family but at the same time the characters in THG have substance. Not to mention the fact that the messages conveyed from twilight are actually much more detrimental. Twilight teaches girls that they should forget everything and get a boyfriend, whereas THG teaches girls that they have the choice and that they can be strong and independent and that they don’t need a man to rely on. For boys twilight shows that it is ok to objectify women, to fight over us and to treat us like a trophy. In that situation I think that Katniss would be repulsed, as would I, yet Bella sits by and lets it happen. Also Katniss provides a healthy strong role model for girls, whereas Bella is just a ditsy pathetic teenager. Also I genuinely can’t really see where bullying could spout from THG as well I can’t even think of an example where bullying could happen. I have read and seen the movies/books of twilight, compared to Harry Potter and THG, they are nothing special. If I see a dumb kid trying to shoot someone with a bow and arrow, copying the film, I will be sure to let you know. Next time you are going to compare to completely separate things, please read the books first, or at least see the movies.
Yours sincerely
A rather annoyed 14 year old girl

Yup

Posted at 2:21 PM on April 13, 2012

I agree with you totally… THG is set in a different context as it’s Dystopian therefore not really relatable in our world as such but I think when dissected Twilight has some very questionable messages in it…
Bella is very pathetic as a woman and as Stephen King so rightly put it kind of just demonstrates to young girls how important it is to hve a boyfriend. And not just any boyfriend but one that is obsessive, needy and physically perfect. I think it is a shallow character that doesn’t really provide girls with a good ideal if they choose to admire her… Not to say these characters should never occur, I just think that they shouldn’t be glorified.
I’m not even going to get into the religious garb that’s in there about sex before marriage, contraception, abortion, emotional abuse and unattainable ideals.

Twilight is fine with a pinch of salt and the recogniiton that it is quite vapid in a guilty pleaure kind of way but I really don’t like how young girls desperately fall in love with EC, JB or even Bella as I think none are good characters.

Posted at 11:04 PM on April 15, 2012

NO!!! twilight is not telling you to forget everything for a boy. that is like saying speak is telling girls to go to a party get raped feel alone then beat up the guy that raped you or saying shark boy and lava girl is telling kids to belive in superheros and villins.
this all started of as 2 movies and now they are at war why?

A more pissed off 12 year old

KewlLemons

Posted at 11:28 PM on May 29, 2012

You’re just being rediculous.
Kids have seen people murder eachother on televison for decades, and it has never been a reason for murder.
THG fans aren’t mentally insanee, but you might be.
Maybe Twilight fans would go dangerously fast on a motorcylce and jump off cliffs when they’re love one left them?
No, I garuntee you neither THG or Twilight fans would endanger their well being over a book.

Posted at 8:14 PM on June 8, 2012

i know that but everone else doesnt

im NOT insanee

no twilight fans wouldnt do that

so KewlLemons you can kiss my @$$

deal with it

Posted at 11:25 AM on April 9, 2012

personally, I hate it when my friends were teasing me about bringing the Hunger Games’ books to school. okay I admit it, I’m crazy over Hunger Games. They were like, ” What kind of book is that? The one where the heroes aren’t fed enough?” UGH! the kind that makes me want to kill them.

now deal with it… my friends are huge fans of Twilight and when I showed them that Hunger Games is a huge success than all the four Twilight movies, they were blown away.

so in your face! I got Suzanne’s autograph, n the Hunger Games’ cast at the premiere and they are soo jealous… whatever you guys had told me, it’s over now.. in YOUR face!!!

me

Posted at 11:07 PM on April 15, 2012

that happens with the twilight saga for me i know what youve gone through

ANNEthology

Posted at 11:24 AM on April 9, 2012

I used to be the person who reads the book first before seeing the big screen adaptation. In this case, I watched The Hunger Games first – and to be honest I found it worth watching. It’s a good subject should you want to make a study or analysis when it comes to the story content. The mixed issues truly reflects the current situation of most societies around the world, and I think those are just some of the things that made The Hunger Games interesting to the crowd.

deal with it

Posted at 11:27 AM on April 9, 2012

so what do you think? should people watch Hunger Games or Twilight? because to me, I think people wouldn’t want to miss Hunger Games instead of that crap Twilight.

The Hunger Games rocks

Posted at 11:13 AM on April 9, 2012

Seriously? I voted and Twilight is even voted more? Come on people, Twilight is coming to an end and The Hunger Games is the new thing. Something’s gone completely wrong, either you people lost your mind or President Snow made a number of accounts and didn’t voted for Hunger Games…

peace

Posted at 11:11 PM on April 15, 2012

twilight has been along for a long time and just because its ending dosent mean its over alot of people love twilight

The Hunger Games is better.

Posted at 4:41 PM on August 13, 2013

How has it “been around for a long time”? five years, woop dee doo. Oh, and the fact that it’s ending DOES mean it’s over. Thank god. A lot of people hate twilight, get over it.

hardness of tap water

Posted at 5:34 AM on April 9, 2012

That is very fascinating, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to in search of extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

crepusculo lo mas

Posted at 10:17 PM on April 8, 2012

primero de todo es que no se pueden comparar ,son 2 generos totalmente diferentes de peliculas ,crepusculo es romantica y los juegos del hambre es sangrienta y guerrillera .personalmente prefiero mil veses mas a crepusculo. y a todos los que dicen que crepusculo es mala …porque no se van a lavar bien el cul….

annie

Posted at 10:04 AM on April 6, 2012

stop comparing Twilight, The Hunger Games and Harry potter. they three completely diffrent stories, books, and movies. and everyone have diffrent taste, I love them all.<3

Sapphire S-P

Posted at 8:34 PM on May 14, 2012

I agree with you. A normal person won’t be comparing these movies/books. Even though I prefer the two latter, I don’t go around comparing these movies/books to Twilight.

stephanie

Posted at 8:41 PM on April 4, 2012

Twilight stinks. Hunger games is awsome. Twilight is way to pathetic for my taste. Personaly i like harry potter better than either of them. But the hunger games is way better twilight. But not harry potter. I think that sappy dumb love stories dont even compare to amazing family friendly novels. Such as hunger games and harry potter. I dont understand how people like twilight there is nothing to like. The only people who like twilight are adults who want more romance in their life. Which is really stupid. And every adult like that is like 30 or something. And the adults kids. Poor children. There parents have pooor judgement. And if a guy likes twilight there is something wrong withh them. Go hunger games and harry potter!

Beverly

Posted at 4:14 PM on April 4, 2012

Honestly when I first read the Twilight Saga I loved it. It was a good read for the lovey-dovey side of me, but The Hunger Games (in my opinion) is way better. There’s more depth in the story for me, the characters aren’t as whiny , and the whole thing isn’t just about a ridiculous love triangle. THG appealed to more people and I think the people who dislike it obviously don’t see the underlying message behind it.

I hate it when people say that The Hunger Games is just a rip-off of Battle Royale. It isn’t. Just because the general idea of young children fighting each other to the death is prevalent in both stories, doesn’t mean one copied off another. Suzanne Collins even said that she got the idea for her novel while flipping between a reality tv show (where the contestants were competing against each other) and footage from the war in Iraq. The story of Theseus (Greek mythology) also came into her play when she developed Katniss’s character.

In reality the two can’t be compared because they’re both written by two different authors, set in different circumstances and have totally different themes. Of course I’m biased and will continue to lean away from Twilight and toward The Hunger Games.

greege

Posted at 10:57 AM on April 4, 2012

Ive never been a fan of twilight. But ive always been into the hunger games. Im not saying that any of them are better then the other it just up to what a person is into…im not into vamps..thats why i dont touch twilight. But its watever the reader is into…not bashing any series. I mean why is harry potter not on this list aswell? The person who posted this made good points tho. Just read whatever u wanna read i say and be supportive about others fav series.

Nora

Posted at 3:58 AM on April 4, 2012

I don’t even understand why people are comparing Twilight and The Hunger Games. If you like the story, enjoy it. Read the books. Watch the movie. What is the need of imposing your opinions, regarding which storyline is superior, upon others? The books are written by different authors. Both the books are focusing on different things entirely. Twilight is meant for people who are in love with the idea of love- an all consuming, all crushing, borderless love. The Hunger Games focuses on love but it also focuses on diverse elements like action and the exhilaration of the fight. Both Bella and Katniss grow in each book. The challenges they face are different and how they grow emotionally are also different. So, just enjoy the journey.

BOB(NOT REALLY)

Posted at 10:00 PM on May 3, 2012

TOTTALY AGREE

hand crafted wooden products

Posted at 11:33 AM on April 3, 2012

Woah this blog is wonderful i really like studying your posts. Stay up the great work! You understand, many individuals are looking round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

Makiah

Posted at 8:57 PM on April 2, 2012

The hunger games is so much better than twilight it actually has a believable story behind it best movie ever Yeah if u didn’t read the books u won’t get it but u should read the books before you see the movie

duh

Posted at 11:16 PM on April 15, 2012

twilight is a FANTSY!!!!!!!!!!!! duhhhhh it wont be beliveale im a fan of fantsy not realistic junk

Alice

Posted at 10:39 PM on April 24, 2012

Seriously? Twilight is basically about a girl who gives up everything she has for one guy.The Hunger Games is about a heroine who volunteers for her sister and provides for her family and would rather keep her dignity then be in a love triangle.Twilight taught my sister Lily’s friend these lessons:
There is always a hapilly ever after.
If she gets pregnant everyone will still be there for her.
Her boyfriend is secretly a vampire.
And lots more.
Reality:
She didn’t get a happily ever after.
When she got pregnant her parents disowned her,her boyfriend left her,her freinds stopped being friends with her and she’s working two part-time jobs and is renting a small,flithy,coackroach infested house and even worse she’s pregnant with twins.
Her boyfriend is a cheater not a vampire.
The Hunger Games teaches GOOD life lessons
The Hunger Games for the win!

lillian

Posted at 6:26 PM on May 14, 2012

the hunger games teaches you its good to kill people by best friend just got sent to jail 4 that

bb

Posted at 8:18 PM on June 8, 2012

twilight teaches you NOTHIN YOU ARE COMPLETLY WRONG

GO ROT IN HELL

Aria

Posted at 1:41 PM on April 1, 2012

The Hunger Games very better

karen ellington

Posted at 11:34 AM on April 1, 2012

Wow,there were a lot of posts on this one,5 reasons,I would say by reading a lot of them it almost seems like it is 50/50,I didn’t read all of them.Soon as the hype dies down I will go see the Hunger Games.They are so different,the one thing they do have in common is a female heroine,Katniss saves the day,and so does Bella and the end of BD2,she saves her family and all the vampires that come from all over the world on just the word of Edward,that is faith.To me they are both tough young woman who just happen to save the day..Peace and prayers to all involved in both movies. Peace..Karen E.

Steven815

Posted at 8:07 AM on April 3, 2012

Perhaps You Should Read Breaking Dawn Again.Bella Did Not Save Everybody From The Volturi Alice And Jasper Did.

Nora

Posted at 3:37 AM on April 4, 2012

@Steven815

Perhaps, you should read Breaking Dawn again. Bella DID save her entire family from the Volturi. The Volturi had already begun their attack on Bell’s family to incapacitate them while members of the Volturi were secretly discussing what they ought to do with Bella and Edward’s daughter. If Bella had not used her mental shield effectively and protected everyone, then Volturi would have definitely destroyed their daughter. Bella was basically the only one who could fight against Jane and Alec’s attacks. Alice and Jasper arrived at the last moment and it could have been too late. If Bella had not protected everyone, Alice and Jasper would have returned only to see the aftermath of the destruction.

stephanie