5 Reasons Why 'The Hunger Games' Is Better Than 'Twilight'

Mon, March 26, 2012 11:44am EST by 190 Comments
The Hunger Games Twilight

‘The Hunger Games’ opened with $155 million at the box office — besting the opening weekends of all four ‘Twilight’ films. This phenomenon can be explained easily — ‘The Hunger Games’ is far superior, on page and screen.

Sorry Twilight fans, more people like The Hunger Games. The new movie, based on the first book of Suzanne Collins‘ trilogy, earned $155 million during its opening weekend. That’s more than all four Twilight films made during their debuts. So why did this happen? Well, let me explain.

#1 — It’s smarter: Set in a dystopian future, The Hunger Games questions the society in which we live in, with its send-up of reality television and judgement of how we are engaging with celebrity culture. Twilight encourages young girls to give up everything to be with their high school boyfriend.

#2 — Katniss isn’t a wet dishrag like Bella: When her father died at age 11, Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) took to the woods to feed her family. Eventually — spoiler alert — she becomes the symbol of an entire revolution. Bella (Kristen Stewart) whines her way through high school, doesn’t want to go to college and flits back and forth between two boys.

#3 — The love story comes second: Yes, technically Katniss is in a love triangle just like Bella. But unlike Bella, Katniss is not defined by the men she loves. And Gale (Liam Hemsworth) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) are not unhealthily obsessed with Katniss, as Jacob (Taylor Lautner) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) are with Bella. Which leades me to …

#4 — Gale & Peeta > Jacob & Edward: Gale and Peeta love Katniss unconditionally. Jacob and Edward treat Bella like a prize they are desperate to control.

#5 — The Hunger Games has a broader appeal: In my non-scientific research, I’ve discovered that the majority of Twilight fans are made up of two types of people. One, the nerdy girl who thinks the school hunk ignores her because he really is secretly in love with her and two, her mother, saddened by the lack of passion in her marriage, writes erotic fan fiction revolving around Edward and Bella. On the other hand, there is something for everyone in The Hunger Games — friendship, family loyalty, politics, bloody battles, sacrifice and even love. And because of its underlying message, it transcends age — adults love it, too.

What do you think, HollywoodLifers — which do you like better?

– Denise Warner

More ‘Hunger Games’ News

1. Jennifer Lawrence, Stop Hating Yourself — You Were Amazing In ‘The Hunger Games’
  2. Fans Love ‘Hunger Games’ At NYC Midnight Screenings
  3. Did Justin Bieber Go To A Midnight Showing Of ‘Hunger Games’?

Tribute

Posted at 9:31 PM on February 10, 2013

Twilight is the stupidest thing ever. Bella is an damsel in distress. She teaches this generation how important it is to have an boyfriend while katniss teaches family and life comes first. And never date someone when u have feelings for ex #justsayin

A Hunger Games Fan

Posted at 10:41 AM on January 20, 2013

Hunger Games is 100% better than Twilight.
Although Twilight is a love novel, Bella just make it all bad for me >_>
Katniss is a fighter, not a whiny girlfriend who is completely in love with Edward.
Now no, I’m not judging characters by personalities, but Bella is just too annoying.
Gale and Peeta has good personalities, act casually and in love with Katniss. But they don’t fight each for her, at least.
The actions are in the Hunger Games, not Twilight.
Beside- Vampires in Twilight are Gary-Stus or Mary-Sues.
Everybody in the Hunger Games are human- some have combat skills and they are fighting to Death.
Hunger Games is full of action, casual, logically sci-fi and well-made.
Twilight is unusual, sickly love-forced and badly made.

Ilove twilight NOT the hunger games

Posted at 9:22 PM on December 31, 2012

Twilight is awesome, Hunger games is just a twilight WANNABE.

HungerGamesAllTheWayTwilightSucks

Posted at 12:39 AM on July 13, 2013

“Uh no.. Wanna Be’s take after their peer. In This case “twilight” as a peer.I think not. The only thing in common is the love triangle. And above, there’s even ways to make Hg love triangle better then twilight’s.

thehungergames1fan

Posted at 1:58 PM on September 18, 2012

wait, I mean twilight is good, just not as smart as hunger games :) don’t get angry please!

thehungergames1fan

Posted at 1:57 PM on September 18, 2012

OK. LET ME BEGIN.

The Hunger Games CHANGED MY LIFE.
Twilight is just some stupid dumb love story that all the character thinks about is love,love,love, like she has nothing else to do in her life. ITS ALL ABOUT LOVE TWILIGHT. The Hunger Games is awesome and not just love, violence, rebellion, thoughts, friendly stuff, awesome moments. JUST SEE THE HUNGER GAMES AND TWILIGHT. THE HUNGER GAMES IS BETTER. YOU STUPID TWILIGHT LOVERS WHO THINK THE HUNGER GAMES IS THE SAME AS TWILIGHT. YOU GOT IT WRONG. im sorry it’s just im so obsessed with the hunger games and im sorry to call you stupid, but its true, the hunger games is BETTER than twilight. THG has changed me.
(IMPORTANT MESSAGE)
I picked up a twilight book in the store and bought it. Only I did not know it would not stick to me. I read a page and it did not pull me in. NOW BELIEVE THIS: I have read the Hunger Games : book 1 3 TIMES!!!!!!!!!! AND I HAVE READ THE WHOLE TRILOGY. changed my life. I am obsessed. sorry. (but it’s better) (NO RUDE COMMENTS: JUST MY OPINION :))

anita

Posted at 6:44 AM on June 14, 2013

i agree with you i am really obsessed with the hunger games to

HungerGamesAllTheWayTwilightSucks

Posted at 12:41 AM on July 13, 2013

Same Here. I have read it 28 times now! Catching fire 22 and Mockingjay 23 times. Crazy huh? I love HG! I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE twilight.

Hunger

Posted at 4:31 PM on August 13, 2013

No need to apoligize for having good taste. :-)

Misaki Umi Ayuzawa

Posted at 6:33 AM on September 18, 2012

Twilight is good but i just can’t compare it to the hunger games im sorry but the reason why i like the hunger games is because it made me stay on the edge when katniss is forced to enter the games and in the end has to put up an act of love with peeta cant wait till the next movie comes it just keeps me on the edge, (BTW Katniss is wayyy better off with Petta, no offence to Gale and katniss fans!)

Ruth

Posted at 8:32 PM on June 8, 2012

what i said was stupid and wrong twilight is a good book/movie its just not for me