Jennifer Lawrence, Stop Hating Yourself — You Were Amazing In 'The Hunger Games'

Fri, March 23, 2012 7:16pm EDT by 20 Comments
Jennifer Lawrence The Hunger Games

Jennifer Lawrence has put herself down so much in recent interviews, I was actually concerned ‘The Hunger Games’ wasn’t going to be well done. However, it turns out she’s off her rocker — she made the movie nearly flawless!

I’m all for self-deprecation, but Jennifer Lawrence takes it to a new level. The 21-year-old The Hunger Games actress has called herself “a troll” and “a mistake,” among other terrible things in the last week on her press tour and she is need of a major self-confidence makeover!

“I’m a troll. I hate myself,” Jennifer told David Letterman. “I think the movie’s great, but their biggest mistake was me.”

If she’s a troll, what does that make the rest of us? Jeez!

A couple days later, when Ryan Seacrest asked her about her comments, she explained, “I genuinely watch myself and hate everything. I hate how I always look, how I talk, what I say, how I act, and everything about myself. It’s genuine! It’s real!”

Jennifer, I get what you’re saying — watching yourself is never fun, but you have to give yourself credit where it’s due. You did a phenomenal job in The Hunger Games. In fact, I would say without a doubt you MAKE the film. Had you not starred in the adaptation, Katniss Everdeen would never have fully come to life.

Stripped of all voiceovers and narration, you somehow managed to emulate an incredibly complex, introverted character. I could hear Katniss’s inner monologue, even though none of it was explicitly said — and that’s no easy feat for a performer.

As far as your body image is concerned, I think everyone nitpicks at themselves, but I hope you appreciate what you’re doing for girls around the world. You’re svelte and fit, but not anorexic — something that’s becoming increasingly rare for female leads these days. This film will be seen by millions of young women who will admire you for your strength of character and good values, in addition to your pretty face. That’s a rare contribution to society, indeed.

Jennifer, I hope you stop “hating” and begin to accept yourself for the positive, gorgeous role model you’ve become. Keep up the good work! You’re doing a great job, seriously.

Loading video...

Email me! | Follow me on Twitter | Become a Facebook fan

kids scooters review

Posted at 1:22 PM on April 15, 2012

Excellent issues altogether, you simply received a logo new reader. What may you recommend in regards to your put up that you just made some days ago? Any positive?

roller coaster free games

Posted at 1:59 PM on April 5, 2012

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny clear concept

karina

Posted at 11:22 PM on April 3, 2012

she was perfect..she’s the perfect katniss..when i was reading the book she was exactly who i was imagining about. i can’t think of anyone better to perform or portray katniss the way she did..GO KATNISS AND PEETA!!!!<3

Seraiah

Posted at 9:00 PM on March 31, 2012

I may be 14, but you did such a great job!!! On the movie more i think about the movie and how Katniss looked you almost look like her. You made the movie soo entertaning. You creat natrual flow through the movie witch was great!!! So don’t let those other people get to you. You were amazing!!!

Seraiah

Posted at 8:58 PM on March 31, 2012

You did such a great job!!! On the movie more i think about the movie and how Katniss looked you almost look like her. You made the movie soo entertaning. You creat natrual flow through the movie witch was great!!! So don’t let those other people get to you. You were amazing!!!

Shean Macalino

Posted at 2:09 AM on March 30, 2012

Yeahh! Your The Reason why Hunger Games Became so Succesful :D Your an AMAZING actress Jennifer! The Perfect Actress to play Katniss In The hunger Games :D So dont Hate Your Self..Think Positive All the Time..And One more thing Your Personality Is What i love the most :D Your so Simple,Pretty And Funny! Please Dont let Other People Change you.. Be yourself!=D Good Luck! ILY ;D

Katniss

Posted at 12:47 PM on March 29, 2012

I may be 12 but when I read the books and saw the movie I kind of felt like Katniss in a way I understand her that exactly how I feel.if I ever got to meet the whole cast I would freak Katniss and peers and rue and pretty much all of them I share connections with them in a way I thought now one would get me.

Carissa

Posted at 6:54 PM on March 28, 2012

My husband took me to the Hunger Games on the opening day and i thought the character of Katniss would be another hoochie trying too hard to make herself look sexy. But I have to give Jennifer ALOT of credit. As a teen mom, i’m very insecure about myself and have alot of doubts on how i look and just about everything i do. But Jennifer’s acting was beyond incredible and she’s naturally beautiful, which made me want to be more like her and not have to live up to all the other girls.

hazel

Posted at 10:11 PM on March 27, 2012

she looks fierce when she’s a brunette!

J

Posted at 11:47 PM on March 26, 2012

Troll? My biggest problem when watching the movie was I kept thinking in a JFK voice: “Let there be no mistake. I would hit that”

c

Posted at 12:27 PM on March 26, 2012

i really didn’t like her until i saw this movie.. she was wonderful! good job jennifer, don’t hate yourself you’re beautiful and talented!

Dena

Posted at 8:03 PM on March 24, 2012

Just saw the movie. WONDERFUL! Katniss was poignant and gorgeous. I love the movie. There were some parts from the book I missed, but nothing major. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL movie! can’t wait for Catching Fire!

HGfan

Posted at 8:54 AM on March 24, 2012

I don’t think she does it to get people to tell her that she’s pretty/amazing, ithink she does it to keep grounded thats what i would do if i was in her position. people are giving out about this but at least she hasn’t become an ego maniac. she has been AMAZING in EVERYTHING that she has done so far so why are we talking about this when we could be taking abou her A.M.A.Z.I.N.G performance as Katniss in the Hunger Games (oscar nom for sure)

Ashley

Posted at 2:14 AM on March 24, 2012

I like her, but I kind of have to roll my eyes at her. She’s obviously not a troll or horrible and I’m sure she knows that…She wouldn’t have made it this far or been nominated for an Oscar if she was. She’s taking the self-depreciation just a little too far in my opinion, like a pretty girl who says “oh, I’m so ugly” just to have her friends tell her that’s not true and that she is pretty.

say What Tiah

Posted at 1:07 AM on March 24, 2012

who is she Never heard of her Either this damn Movie nither

LAURA

Posted at 11:01 PM on March 23, 2012

just saw the movie.. wow she was AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG……. LOVEDDDDD THE EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emma

Posted at 10:07 PM on March 23, 2012

is a real troll
for something she says

Kay

Posted at 8:46 PM on March 23, 2012

I’m about to go see the movie right now! It looks good but I’ll post what I think when I’m done.

helllokitty2142

Posted at 9:54 PM on March 23, 2012

I’m seeing it tommorow but I can’t wait no longer. :(

CATNIP

Posted at 8:36 PM on March 23, 2012

OMG NOBODY NEEDS TO CRY THE HUNGER GAMES MOVIE IS SLAYING AND THATS IT.