'The Vampire Diaries' Recap: An Old Handsome Friend Returns

Thu, March 22, 2012 9:31pm EDT by 24 Comments

Plus, Alaric goes off the deep end! What do you think is really happening to him?

The Gilbert-Salvatore love triangle is so last week. The March 22 episode of The Vampire Diaries introduced us to a whole new threesome in Damon (Ian Somerhalder), Rebekah (Claire Holt) and Sage (Cassidy Freeman). Of course, their ménage à trois was less about love — and more about straight-up murder.

Using sexy times to lower Rebekah’s defenses, Sage read her mind and clued Damon in about the existence of a second White Oak Tree — conveniently used to build the already infamous Wickery Bridge! But even though Damon promised to spare Sage’s fave Original Finn (Caspar Zafer), she still decided to turn on him and tell Becky all about their little plan.

Fortunately, Damon is as crafty as he is unspeakably attractive — he spent half of this episode in a towel, and it was awesome — so he was able to snag the Wickery Bridge sign; and yes, it’s also made from the wood of the White Oak Tree. It’s really not a great time to be an Original.

Meanwhile, Elena (Nina Dobrev) spent most of this week’s episode following Stefan (Paul Wesley) around like a lost puppy, as they tried to figure out WTF was going on with Alaric (Matt Davis). They didn’t exactly get the answer they were looking for, but they did determine he was capable of going crazy even when he wasn’t wearing his ring — which sucked big time for Meredith (Torrey DeVitto), who was stuck babysitting him. By the time Stefan and Elena arrived at Chez Gilbert, Meredith was already unconscious and bleeding out in the upstairs bathroom.

And in a surprising moment of humanity, Stefan rushed upstairs to heal Meredith with his blood. Stefan may have told Elena that he can’t be who she wants him to be, but I’m kind of thinking he can. Paul Wesley wasn’t kidding when he said Elena and Stefan will get back together “eventually.” And if this week’s flash of old Stefan was any indication, their reunion is coming soon.

Over on the Bennett farm, Bonnie (Kat Graham) had her sassy little hands full with her newly vamped-out mom. Not only was Abby (Persia White) super bummed that she couldn’t talk to flowers anymore, but she also couldn’t control her new urges, and poor beautiful Jamie (Robert Ri’chard) was on the receiving end of her first big bite! Thank God Caroline (Candice Accola) was there to heal him with her blood, because he needs to be at full strength if he’s going to spend his entire day chopping all that wood. (And hot damn, does he look good chopping wood.)

But the fanged life proved to be a little too much for Abby, who ultimately decided to drop Bonnie a lame-ass note and take off. Caroline urged her to stay — in an emotional speech that reminded us all why we love that girl so much — but it wasn’t enough. And we wonder why the kids of Mystic Falls have such intense abandonment issues?

My favorite moment of the night — and I’m sure most fans would agree — was the surprise appearance by lil Jeremy Gilbert (Steven R. McQueen), who Elena called in her most desperate moment. It was heartbreaking to see her cry, and even more painful to know Jeremy isn’t exactly capable of picking up on her emotions at the moment. And did anyone else get concerned when he told Elena he was meeting up with some “friends”? It can’t be purely coincidental that Klaus (Joseph Morgan) is M.I.A. from Mystic Falls at the moment.

All righty, let’s talk about this week’s episode: Do you think Stefan is on the verge of returning from the dark side? Are you worried that Alaric might not survive his current dilemma? And do you think something’s going on with Jeremy we don’t know about yet? Head down to the comments section — and bring all of your theories!

— Andy Swift

Follow Andy on Twitter for more Vampire Diaries updates

Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a
captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Stacey

Posted at 9:04 PM on May 21, 2012

I think Stefan and eleina make a beautiful and cute couple because they are so cute together. Stefan is so romantic with eleina and he always makes her safe. Stefan would never let eleina die.if Damon and eleina go out they would fight alot. Stefan is the right man for eleina

mimie

Posted at 10:06 AM on April 22, 2012

damon & elana a cute 2geere, i luv e bad side of damon & clause wout dem it wld b boring

nina

Posted at 11:57 PM on April 7, 2012

all the best
i like it

nina

Posted at 11:57 PM on April 7, 2012

all the best

love

Posted at 6:37 AM on April 4, 2012

why can’t hollywood life didicate a page for vampire daries like they did for twilight. please do that

Joyce

Posted at 7:15 AM on March 28, 2012

I feel Stefan(a lighted up n romantic one) and Elena should reunite at the end. Elena wil automatically bring life to Stefan. I love their union.

Wasswa Hassan Mabirizi

Posted at 6:02 AM on March 27, 2012

i love stefan and damon they are the best brothers alive and i also love stelena sooooo much…..and as for the whole show,the cast and the producers-all of them!-these guys are the best from the time the world started up to now…..its my best show ever…elena bonnie katherine alarc meridith sage klaus lexy,and other cast members you guys rock my world….thx

Aysher Abbas

Posted at 11:27 AM on March 26, 2012

i love u guys so much n i hope the elena-stefan reunion happens sooner.xo………..

Melika

Posted at 11:48 AM on March 26, 2012

Me too!!!!

tammy

Posted at 5:12 PM on March 23, 2012

Welcome back our sexy/mantramp Damon, you have been missed! This is the Damon that we love. Not the sappy one that has been chasing Elena around. More hottie’s for Damon.

Nastia

Posted at 12:07 PM on March 23, 2012

something’s really going on with Jeremy.’cause there’s no way he would be showed in the epizod without a REAL reason.

Ageless

Posted at 10:49 AM on March 23, 2012

____________”Ageléssméét.С0М______________

The- most-effective-site in the world to connect

with,date and marry— age–gap people.

hannah

Posted at 9:26 AM on March 23, 2012

i’m pretty sure that something is going on with jeremy and his “friends”!!!!!!

d.harris

Posted at 8:09 AM on March 23, 2012

this is another movie that i really love,infact one of my best right now.mmmmmh —-what is with me and vampires. ilove the characters in the movie even the villains.i can not wait to see stephan and elena back again. damon is so unpredictable,ireally do not want him with elena though he loves her.

Vik

Posted at 1:42 AM on March 23, 2012

Rebekah and Sage go home!!!
Damon amnd Elena super!

Jessie

Posted at 11:36 PM on March 22, 2012

I believe that Stefan wont be same as he was but manageable. he will always have the darkness in him just he needs the strength to control it. Stefan and Elena will possibly get back together but it wont be the same like it was. They are both stronger people but aleast this time there will not be any secrets. I think with Alaric’s situation they will find a temporary fix for him but still be on guard with tranquilizers. lol With Jeremy going out with his friends with one being Kol. Klaus made a deal with Elena to not harm Jeremy but not Kol.

Ageléssméét.С0М

Posted at 11:21 PM on March 22, 2012

____________”Ageléssméét.С0М______________

It’s- the- most effective-site in the world to connect- with,date and marry— age -gap people.

sarah

Posted at 10:34 PM on March 22, 2012

Damon and Bex are hot together. Love them

RomanticMeme

Posted at 10:59 PM on March 22, 2012

Delena, that is all.

RomanticMeme

Posted at 10:04 PM on March 22, 2012

Okay Andy, you know I have a bone to pick with this episode. UGH! Really, I love both Damon and Bex, BUT NOT TOGETHER! They really have streched that too far. Anyhoo, I don’t know what to think of Sage, I liked her at first, but give up Finn honey, he’s not worth it. I miss the Original brothers, sooooo much. Well Abby has officially won the WORST MOTHER OF THE YEAR AWARD. Jeremy is BACK! Yea, I missed him, sad to see Elena cry. I think that Jeremy is going to be part of the serial killings. COME BACK TO US! Loved to Stefan/Paul and Meredith/Torrey scene, I wonder what they do backstage;D We need more Delena scenes, I hope with Damon being a jerk and telling her off. UGH! As much as I love Stefan, I DON’T WANT STELENA! Damon needs, for the first time in his life, to be the one that is chosen first, Julie, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR! The name for the final episode is “The Departed.” I wonder who dies? Can’t wait, but I know Stelena will get together (WHY, WORLD, WHY!). Damon will be heartbroken, and do something bad, you know, the usual, blah, blah, blah.
~Love you Andy

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:31 PM on March 22, 2012

Ha! OK, I agree with all of the above. I’m just trying to figure out what Jeremy is up to. You know he’s doing something big, especially because that phone call was so weird. It has to have something to do with Tyler… or Klaus… or someone… haha

<3 YOU!

RomanticMeme

Posted at 10:58 PM on March 22, 2012

Love you Too, keep posting, you think exactly like me and I totally agree! I am so happy that I found you (is it just me or was that in a romance movie or something:p)
~Love you Andy

beanka

Posted at 3:28 AM on March 25, 2012

i believe the old stefen will return but i think that elena and damon will be the new couples , so stefen will so late on elena , and there is a big story bihind jermey and his friends